Loaner Knife Horror Stories?

Posted by: SwampDonkey

Loaner Knife Horror Stories? - 11/21/07 12:49 AM

Everyone who EDC's a knife must have one of these stories to share?

Here is one of mine:

As I have said before, I am a very easy-going person but about 25 years ago I had a "disagreement" with a fellow in a bunkhouse hallway, which involved us having to repair some drywall the next day. It turned out my toolbox was locked and the key was out in my vehicle, so the other fellow says "you got your knife on ya" and I like an idiot give it to him. Moments later I hear "SNAP", toolbox is still locked and about an inch off the tip of my knife is missing. My opinion of this fellow is again going downhill quickly, so I tell him that I will fix the problem myself and he leaves, I have never seen him again.

I learned a few things from this occurance; how to repair drywall, never lend your good knife (lend them a cheapy) and do not pick a fight with a sober person twice your size!

Lets hear your knife/axe/tool loaner horror stories?

Mike
Posted by: JustinC

Re: Loaner Knife Horror Stories? - 11/21/07 01:03 AM

I hate to hear a story like that.

As a Marine, I hear the question, "Hey, anybody got a knife?" at least once a day. I don't really have a horror story, as this question is usually followed by, "what for?". Then, based on the merit of their explanation, and my own split-second analysis of the likelihood of my knife being damaged they may or may not be loaned a knife. Usually they are not.

I continue to be amazed by the sheer number of people among us (to say nothing of Marines) who don't carry a knife. I am further amazed by the tasks that a person will subject a knife to, when, with minimal effort they could get the appropriate tool for the job.
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Loaner Knife Horror Stories? - 11/21/07 01:30 AM

The number of people I'll loan anything more than a box cutter to is about the same as the number of people I'll loan my toothbrush to. If you are allowed to handle my blades, I trust you with a bit more than just my life.

As you might have gathered, while I have "ok, give me a second and I'll fix it for you" stories, I don't have this kind of story. :P
Posted by: MarshAviator

Re: Loaner Knife Horror Stories? - 11/21/07 01:42 AM

Yes, it would about kill me to loose my crutch-tip (Model 18) Randall or Chris Reeve Project one to a fools misuse.

Maybe I should carry a cheap Mil-spec survival to loan out.
Seriously one of those ASEK's would limit the damage to only painful.

SwampDonkey you are so right, I can think of a couple of pocket knives that were misused in front of my very eyes before it could be stopped.

Funny thing is would the same fool do it with his own knife?
Sometimes people do value thing exactly as they paid (in this case nothing).

I once had a fairly old collectible f.s. command knife from WWII, that an acquaintance (friend of a friend) was looking at.
After picking it up to look at he struck it against one of the crates (why we will never know)in my workshop and the blade broke at the cross guard.
Scratch $150.00 or so.
Yes he promised to make it up to me, and of course I never saw him again.
I feel guilty when someone says can I barrow that leatherman, swisstool on you belt.
Answer NO!
Why on earth would any craftsman or soldier,marine,sailor be without a knife, just can't imagine it.

But really the whole concept of man's primary tool is the knife, but a lot of people don't carry them anymore.
There was a tail a while back about a paratrooper who died because the jump plane was knife-free, I kid you not.

Maybe I should lend out a knife with a utterly dull blade and chuckle in amusement?
Posted by: Be_Prepared

Re: Loaner Knife Horror Stories? - 11/21/07 01:43 AM

Years ago in another job, I had someone I didn't know very well borrow a knife to open a big shipping carton at work...sounds simple enough right?

Well, they sliced open the palm of their hand, not while using the knife on the box, but rather, trying to close it. The concept of a locking blade was too much for them apparently. They just thought it was "stuck", so they kept trying harder and harder to force it closed until the back of the knife slipped and the point created a bloody mess on the carpet. I actually ended up being the one who bandaged the guy up! Everyone else was just standing there watching him bleed and scream.

I was told the next day by the site manager that they don't allow "weapons" at work, and that I shouldn't bring it back. He was going to have to file an accident report with OSHA or something, and wasn't happy. I think he knew that the other bozo was the problem, but, it was easier to take it out on me, than acknowledge that he had someone working for him that couldn't close a knife safely...
Posted by: KenK

Re: Loaner Knife Horror Stories? - 11/21/07 01:46 AM

I was camping with my son's Boy Scout Troop at a Cub Scout family overnight (we were invited to help out). While setting up, one of the parents was putting up an EZ-up canopy, but one of the poles had gotten stuck. The parent asked if anyone has a knife. One of the Scouts offered up his knife. I cringed as the parent started using the tip of the knife to jimmy loose the stuck pole. I was thinking "I'm glad that's not my knife."

Then I notice that the Scout's knife looked just like my son's Kabar Dozier Spearpoint that I'd given him.

The parent handed the knife back to the Scout. I asked if that was my son's knife. It was! I had the Scout give it back to my son, and then I inspected it. Luckily - Amazingly - it wasn't damaged. I told my son in no uncertain terms that its a good rule not to loan out a knife.

It turned out that the other Scout had forgotten to bring a knife. Since my son usually brings both the Kabar and a SAK, he loaned the Kabar to the other Scout, who in turn handed it off to the "knife-killer".

My rule is simple - I don't loan out my knife. Ever.

I have the same rule with my tractor. If someone needs material moved (using the tractor's front end loader), I don't let them use the tractor. I come with the tractor and do the work for them.

Same with my popup camper.

Ken K.
Posted by: raydarkhorse

Re: Loaner Knife Horror Stories? - 11/21/07 01:55 AM

As a teenager my brother and I were camping, my brother asked to borrow my knife. At the time it was a Western Bowie, that I kept razor sharp. He took the knife and walked off into the cane and after a few minutes I hear him screaming bloody murder a splash and he came crashing thru the bushes holding his hand streaming blood. After a trip to the doctor and 15 stitches I found out the he had been chopping a tree with my knife and hit the back of his fingers instead. Luckily it was after he had already cut a few limbs and it was kind of dull, and the splash I heard was my knife finding the middle of the river. If you think he was bad on my knife and that I was stupid for loaning it to him, you would die if I told you about loaning him my shotgun or the time I went hunting with him.

Re: Loaner Knife Horror Stories? - 11/21/07 03:21 AM

My second story is a little like Be_Prepared's.

In 1999 I went on a very cold winter caribou hunt in northern Quebec with my lifetime hunting partners. It was a successful hunt and my partner and I were tying caribou quarters onto the back of the truck around the snowmobile. My good buddy says "lend me your Leatherman, I need to cut this rope", I say back to him "sure, but be careful these new serrated blades are really sharp" he replies with something like "I know how to handle a knife .....".
Before he even finishes the sentence I am doing first aid on a major cut to his left hand, his only reply is "Man that blade really cuts rope, where you buy it". His DW (on my instruction) bought him one for Christmas that year (original WAVE).

I would still lend anything to my hunting partners, we respect respect each others equipment like it was our own.

Mike
Posted by: Blast

Re: Loaner Knife Horror Stories? - 11/21/07 03:27 AM

Quote:
Maybe I should lend out a knife with a utterly dull blade and chuckle in amusement?

I like that one!

-Blast
Posted by: Paul810

Re: Loaner Knife Horror Stories? - 11/21/07 04:19 AM

This is why I often carry an Alox Bantam or Soldier in my pocket. Most of my family and friends know I carry a knife and they always ask to borrow it. So, I give them the V-nox to use and my Benchmade stays in my pocket.

If they break it I've got a bunch more and they don't cost too much (~$20). Plus, being a swiss army knife most people know how to open them, use them, and close them.

The nice thing too, is if it's someone who I think deserves a solid knife and could use it, I'll let them keep it. I've given a few out to kids/teens (with their parents permission of course) who I thought would use it responsibly and correctly. The glowing smile I get in return makes it worth it.

Posted by: TQS

Re: Loaner Knife Horror Stories? - 11/21/07 08:48 AM

Never, never, never loan anything with an edge. Other things never to loan are CD's and DVD's, money, and vehicles. Unless of course you loan simply because you have an abundance. The "better" the friend, the least likely you are to get these things back at all and hardly ever in original condition. Family usually always returns, but again, seldom in original condition.
Posted by: KG2V

Re: Loaner Knife Horror Stories? - 11/21/07 10:00 AM

Funny, there are 2-3 people in this world I'd call good friends. Those people can borrow ANYTHING I have, at ANY time. The break my knife, I'd shrug, and tell them not to worry. Worse things have happened. I've trusted those friends with my life, and they have trusted me with theirs

Everyone else? They get the loaner
Posted by: MDinana

Re: Loaner Knife Horror Stories? - 11/21/07 10:35 AM

Y'know, looking at these stories, I think it's a bit of poetic justice that these folks cut themselves while abusing your knife. So, yeah, loan it out. If they screw up they'll know it. Then you can look at them innocently and ask if they have a FAK so you can bandage them up. Then roll your eyes and act like they're an idiot when they have neither a knife nor FAK.

And if they break it, get money from them right there and then.

To be honest, I don't have a horror story. The only cuts a friend of mine got was when I ran him over on my BMX back in the '80s.
Posted by: benjammin

Re: Loaner Knife Horror Stories? - 11/21/07 03:06 PM

I have two options for loaning knives:

A) I will loan n knife that, if broken, is not a going concern, such as a mock SAK classic (dollar store variety), which is easily replaced. I've had no problem collecting remuneration from those who have done so.

B) I will loan a knife that was made to take heavy abuse/misuse with a minimal chance of failing. In the event of failure, it has a lifetime unconditional guarantee. I know that in the unlikely event the knife is broken, all I need do is send it to the mfr and it will be replaced at no additional cost, save that of shipping, without exception. As before, I have no concern with being able to collect shipping costs from someone able to break those knives if I feel it is warranted.

Those foolish enough to self inflict, I just laugh, except for the wife, lest I end up in great pain myself...
Posted by: Misanthrope

Re: Loaner Knife Horror Stories? - 11/21/07 05:03 PM

Learned that lesson long ago. I always keep an inexpensive Mora or similar blade in my gear when going out with others.

However, what in my opinion is far worse that lending a knife is to see what other's have done with axes. I will never, ever lend an axe out again. Ever.. They will either kill your axe or themselves..

Did you ever notice that the more experienced the crew you're with, ie people you would lend your gear to, the less often that is requested?
Posted by: M_a_x

Re: Loaner Knife Horror Stories? - 11/21/07 07:03 PM

On a training day with an emergency response unit one of the guys ask if he could borrow my SAK to slice open a bun. I thought that he could do it without inflicting major damage. So I gave the knife and a word of warning to him (that knife was quite a bit sharper than the factory condition). After him being half way through a remark about NOT being to stupid to handle that knife and cutting all the way through the bun and deep into his hand I had to admit that I was wrong. As the medic in the team I had to administer first aid. The guy with the cut earned some laughter from the rest of the team, a tetanus shot and just barely evaded stitching. Folks there remembered (and did not fail to remind him) for a long time that he lacked the skill to slice bun without shedding blood.
On the bright side the SAK suffered no damage at all and the blood was easily wiped from the blade.
Posted by: clearwater

Re: Loaner Knife Horror Stories? - 11/21/07 09:38 PM

My loaner -- $3

http://www.armorysupply.com/merchant.ihtml?&lastcid=392&pid=48250&Step=4

I use it for opening boxes and spreading peanut butter.
Sharpen it on a course diamond file so it cuts paper and rope
easily.
Posted by: bigreddog

Re: Loaner Knife Horror Stories? - 11/22/07 01:20 PM

I keep a small SAK with scissors on my keyring - most times it is the scissors I open for people when I give it to them. Safer option for people too dumb to carry anything sharper than their teeth.
Posted by: clearwater

Re: Loaner Knife Horror Stories? - 11/22/07 03:35 PM

Good point on the scissors. One of my friends who builds and trains
folks on ropes challenge courses issues EMT scissors to the ones
in charge of rescue rather than knives. He figures they are less
likely to accidently cut the wrong rope in an emergency and less
likely to stab themselves in a fall or swing.

Re: Loaner Knife Horror Stories? - 11/23/07 12:02 AM

Good Thinking BRD,

I like that idea so much I think I will follow suit, Thanks!

Mike
Posted by: sotto

Re: Loaner Knife Horror Stories? - 11/23/07 02:51 AM

I don't have a pocket knife story, but I do have some stories about loaning things. When I was a kid, I loaned my BB gun to an older kid who I trusted. It came back busted.

When I was an adult, I loaned my surfboard to an older adult who I trusted. It came back busted.

Recently, I loaned my favorite book of all time, an out of print book about backpacking through the Golden Trout Wilderness fishing for trout, to a younger lady I trusted. It never came back at all.

Finally, after all these years I have learned, I hope, never to lend anything to anybody.

Re: Loaner Knife Horror Stories? - 11/23/07 03:15 AM

I hear what you are saying sotto,

My hunting partner has a loaner story.

He loaned a very nice Sako Forester lightweight .308 Win. bolt action deer rifle to a friend once. Friend hunted with the rifle for a week, a very rainy week and stored the rifle back in the wet gun case. Months later when my friend recieved the rifle back it was still in the same unopened gun case, the rifle was a rusted mess.

A very sad story.

Mike
Posted by: hiker1

Re: Loaner Knife Horror Stories? - 11/26/07 12:27 AM

I had a Cold Steel Scimitar which a store acquaitance wanted to look at. He decided to do the "flip the blade out fast" routine.

Knife flipped out of his hand....hit the floor with blade open....and missed his coworkers sandled foot by a hair.

Knife wasn't damaged but I took it back from him.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Loaner Knife Horror Stories? - 11/26/07 02:43 AM

One of the reason I own cheap knives is to loan out when camping. Hell in the kitchen there 2 sets of knives. MY knives and the knives I let my wife use wink
Posted by: Erik_B

Re: Loaner Knife Horror Stories? - 11/26/07 03:46 PM

last time i was in Mike's Merchandise, i picked up half a dozen lock-back folding knives for about a dollar a piece, and those are the onces i let people borrow. if what i've got on me is worth more than ten bucks, they can either let me cut whatever it is needs cutting or they can wait till they can get some scissors from home.
Posted by: Russ

Re: Loaner Knife Horror Stories? - 11/26/07 04:00 PM

Thanksgiving loaner knife. . . As usual I took my large slicer to Thanksgiving so I could slide the Turkey. After dinner doing clean-up I was looking for the knife and it wasn't on the counter where I'd left it. It had been scooped up and tossed in the sink with all the tableware. I immediately removed it, cleaned it, wrapped it and put it away. Checked it this AM and no it did not come through unscathed mad My fault, should have known better.

Re: Loaner Knife Horror Stories? - 11/26/07 09:52 PM

RAS made me think of another loaner knife story,

When I was 17 I went on a remote canoe trip as part of a youth work progran (MNR Junior Rangers); I took with me my favorite knife of the time, a D.H. Russell Canadian Belt Knife model #1 that I had bought engraved at the PEI Canadian Scout Jamboree in 1977. Sure enough, most of the other kids did not bring a knife and mine was often borrowed to do camp kitchen chores. On the last night of the trip we camped on a sandy beach and after supper my loaned knife went missing. I searched the area and combed through the beach sand, but was very disappointed to not find by knife.

On return to our main work camp I pulled kitchen duty for the weekend and was assigned to unloaded the industrial dishwasher; there in the cutlery rack was my missing knife! The wood handle was bleached white from the hot soapy water and drying cycle but I was elated to get it back, I still have that knife today.

A knife horror story that ended well.

Mike

Re: Loaner Knife Horror Stories? - 11/26/07 10:33 PM

That's a true tragedy Mike. Ruining a D.H. Russell knife is like burning the flag in my books.
Posted by: JustinC

Re: Loaner Knife Horror Stories? - 11/26/07 11:48 PM

Originally Posted By: sotto
Recently, I loaned my favorite book of all time, an out of print book about backpacking through the Golden Trout Wilderness fishing for trout, to a younger lady I trusted. It never came back at all.

I have loaned out countless books that I've never seen back. It's hard for me to say "no" to loaning someone a book, especially if it's a good one. Knowledge needs to be passed on IMO. I do have a few books with emotional/sentimental value that don't go out, though.
Posted by: sodak

Re: Loaner Knife Horror Stories? - 11/27/07 12:42 AM

I don't have a loaner on me, because when the question comes "Does anyone have a knife", I say "yes". After a pregnant pause, I usually get, "Can I use it?", and I say "No, use your own".

The no's get easier with practice.
Posted by: HerbG

Re: Loaner Knife Horror Stories? - 11/27/07 01:21 AM

I have learned through bitter personal experience to never, ever loan guns or knives to anybody. Period.

Re: Loaner Knife Horror Stories? - 11/27/07 02:15 AM

Hi Hacksaw,

Actually the D.H. Russell knife story turned out OK, I applied some type of oil to the bleached wood (it was at the work camp, I cannot remember what kind of oil it was) and kept right on using the knife with no ill effects.

Speaking of D.H. Russell #1's I bought a used one on an internet classified ad site last summer for $15.00, so I retired my old one from the Boy Scout Jamboree.

Later,

Mike
Posted by: benjammin

Re: Loaner Knife Horror Stories? - 11/27/07 12:44 PM

Ah yes, the kitchen knives and the wife...almost as painful as having my dutch ovens run through the dishwasher.

I cringe every time I see a knife in the sink. I know it was tossed in like any other common utensil, and point first, and I know if I don't rescue it, it will end up in the dishwasher. I've seen my Henckels get used to pry on paint can lids. Funny thing is, the wife and kids go right on using them for cutting, rolled tips and all, like nothing was wrong.

Of course, I could just as well be sitting in that big house alone again with my pristine knives and immaculate dutch ovens. I've been there, done that, and will not willingly do it again.
Posted by: raydarkhorse

Re: Loaner Knife Horror Stories? - 11/27/07 01:48 PM

Originally Posted By: benjammin
Of course, I could just as well be sitting in that big house alone again with my pristine knives and immaculate dutch ovens. I've been there, done that, and will not willingly do it again.

Trust me I'm there now and the edge of a few knives and a dutch oven or two are more than a cheap price to pay for what you have.

Re: Loaner Knife Horror Stories? - 11/27/07 03:06 PM

Originally Posted By: benjammin
Ah yes, the kitchen knives and the wife...almost as painful as having my dutch ovens run through the dishwasher.

I cringe every time I see a knife in the sink. I know it was tossed in like any other common utensil, and point first, and I know if I don't rescue it, it will end up in the dishwasher. I've seen my Henckels get used to pry on paint can lids. Funny thing is, the wife and kids go right on using them for cutting, rolled tips and all, like nothing was wrong.

I equip my kitchen with Zwilling Henckels too and just spent a full day running them all through my Sharpmaker so I'm extra protective now. The latest victim is my vintage Chinese veggie cleaver. At least it doesn't have a tip to wreck when it gets tossed in the sink...and lots of metal to remove when it gets dulled hehehe.
Posted by: Taurus

Re: Loaner Knife Horror Stories? - 11/27/07 06:59 PM

A "friend" once borrowed my Sog seal pup out of my TAC vest on exercise(in my absence) and decided it was the best tool with which to mix epoxy, thinking he could simply wipe it off. Well... the epoxy, did what epoxy is supposed to do and in a panic he decided to wipe it off with paper towel in an attempt not to ruin my knife. The towel promptly dried to the epoxy and all attempts to wipe it off became futile. Rather than admitting that we all sometime do things that are tremendously stupid he decided to place the knife back in to its case, to which the remaining epoxy quickly dried. Upon finding my knife, to this day I bet no one has ever put the "F" word into a single sentence so many times without pausing for a single breath. I am amazed about how many people, soldiers included, Do not carry a knife. And how many people in this forum have friends who constantly ask them to sharpen their knives because they are no good at it. Doesn't that drive you berserk? I've met people who can fly helicopters but can't properly sharpen a darn knife. It goes to show that being an actual soldier goes a little farther than just wearing a uniform. But , as always that is only my opinion and not meant to offend anyone here. To make a long story short, I will only lend my knife to someone I trust and then only after I know exactly what they intend to do with it, and only if it remains in my direct line of sight. I have learned my lesson on this topic.

Re: Loaner Knife Horror Stories? - 11/27/07 07:37 PM

Hi Soldier,

Your loaner knife story was great, I am eager to hear the ending.

Did you every get the stuck Seal Pup out of it's case, was it salvageable?

I agree with you, many (may be most) people who carry a knife carry a dull one. This maybe why replaceable blade knives (utility cutters) are so popular. It may also explain the amount of serrated knives around as they will rip/tear through something long after a straight edge is dull.

Thanks,

Mike

Posted by: Russ

Re: Loaner Knife Horror Stories? - 11/27/07 07:39 PM

So did your "friend" buy you a new knife?
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Loaner Knife Horror Stories? - 11/27/07 07:41 PM

Oooh, I feel your pain re the epoxy story. That's just nasty.

But I don't mind if people ask me to sharpen knives for them. They get rather addicted to sharp tools after a while, and that has worked to my advantage. During my university days, I got a lot of free suppers because the lady of the house knew I would bring along my favourite stone and touch up her kitchen knives. Heck, I've even put "gift certificates" in a few Christmas cards. Naturally, my efforts must be "whet" with suitable offerings of good brew. (Also, word gets around; when someone uses one of my knives, other people in the vicinity will usually warn them not to goof around with it, for obvious reasons.)

Re: Loaner Knife Horror Stories? - 11/27/07 08:16 PM

After cursing for a while with every conceivable use of the F and C words, and then making up a few more curses of my own under my breath. and making him strip the epoxy off of my knife(a lengthy process involving paint thinner, utility blades and the painstaking removal of the Knife from the sheath) I actually had quite a laugh, once I calmed down. In the end, a knife can be replaced easier than a good friend, stupid as he may be. The knife faired out well but with cosmetic damage to the finish I, like you I am sure, hold my knives in the highest regard and consider the basic knife one of my greatest assets in ANY situation. I was not to upset over the scratches as there were plenty there to begin with. I take care of my knives, but I use them for what they are intended and often put them through much abuse in the process. I was more angry at the fact that he did not have his own knife, or better yet, had not used my knife to cut a branch to stir the dammed epoxy with.

Re: Loaner Knife Horror Stories? - 11/27/07 08:25 PM

Canadian Soldier,

Glad to hear the situation ended OK for both you, your friend and your seal pup.

I have a brief very off-topic question for you; what is the machine seen in your avatar, it looks like a tank with space ship on top?

Thanks,

Mike

Re: Loaner Knife Horror Stories? - 11/27/07 08:30 PM

True, I don't mind touching up an edge for a fellow once in a while, but it gets old really fast when you are doing it constantly for the same people. Usually when I offer to show someone how to do it they usually turn me down. They probably know how to do it just fine but would rather watch me do it. LOL Maybe I am the dumb one. Along with a knife I always carry a sharpener. Therein may lie my problem, as I should keep that a secret. As for kitchen knives, they are a bird of a different colour. I enjoy sharpening them for other people because they usually use them to cook me something tasty right after.

Re: Loaner Knife Horror Stories? - 11/27/07 08:35 PM

It is an Armoured bridge layer that I drove during my time With the combat Engineers. Actually a modified leopard 1 MBT with the turret removed. The space ship above is actually the same as the bridge that I am driving over, in its launched state.

Re: Loaner Knife Horror Stories? - 11/27/07 08:40 PM

CS,

Very cool!

SD
Posted by: KG2V

Re: Loaner Knife Horror Stories? - 11/27/07 11:52 PM

I laughed at the "it's sharp" warnings. I keep my EDC knife sharp enough that OTHER folks who know me warn folks "Be careful, it's REALLY sharp" if I hand someone a knife.
Posted by: cedfire

Re: Loaner Knife Horror Stories? - 11/28/07 03:33 AM

Instead of loaning knives I just give them out at Christmas to people who need them.

Heh, problem (mostly) solved. grin

Re: Loaner Knife Horror Stories? - 11/28/07 05:09 AM

Good idea cedfire,

I think giving a gift of a knife can creat a bond between people, on hunting trips I still carry the custom made drop point knife that my lifetime hunting partner gave me for Christmas in 1981, I have many other knives but none with the sentiment of this one.

As a youth I was told by my mother that when you give a person a knife as a gift you were to also give them a silver coin "so as to not cut the friendship between you", has anyone else ever heard of this custom?

Mike

Re: Loaner Knife Horror Stories? - 11/28/07 05:24 AM

Originally Posted By: SwampDonkey
Good idea cedfire,

I think giving a gift of a knife can creat a bond between people, on hunting trips I still carry the custom made drop point knife that my lifetime hunting partner gave me for Christmas in 1981, I have many other knives but none with the sentiment of this one.

As a youth I was told by my mother that when you give a person a knife as a gift you were to also give them a silver coin "so as to not cut the friendship between you", has anyone else ever heard of this custom?

Mike

Yea, I've heard something similar. Superstition says you're not supposed to give someone a knife, as that is symbolic of cutting the friendship. Instead, they're supposed to trade you for it (buy it from you). Usually the trade/price is a coin (like a penny, quarter, silver dollar, ect).

Re: Loaner Knife Horror Stories? - 11/28/07 05:36 AM

Interesting,

So I had the custom backwards, the reciever of the knife is to give (trade) the gifter the coin to maintain the friendship.

Thanks,

Mike

Re: Loaner Knife Horror Stories? - 11/28/07 05:39 AM

Interesting,

So I had the custom backwards, the reciever of the knife is to give (trade) the gifter the coin to maintain the friendship.

Thanks,

Mike

Yea, that's how I've heard it anyway.

Re: Loaner Knife Horror Stories? - 11/28/07 06:20 AM

I think this custom goes back to the days of duels and the rules of honour/chivalry and such.

To offer someone a weapon was an invitation to single combat (or perhaps the full entourage, including seconds, etc.).

However, if money was exchanged, in the slightest amount, the exchange of weapons was a sale, a transaction, and not a challenge.

It was wise in those days to be clear about such things. Perhaps it still is. :-)

Re: Loaner Knife Horror Stories? - 11/28/07 06:44 AM

Hi dougwalkabout,

I am always impressed by what you learn on the ETS Forum!

Thanks,

Mike
Posted by: AROTC

Re: Loaner Knife Horror Stories? - 11/28/07 02:58 PM

The receiver is supposed to give a coin to the giver, but I find the custom is easier if I give them a coin with the knife and they give the coin back to me.

Re: Loaner Knife Horror Stories? - 11/28/07 05:32 PM

Hi dougwalkabout,

I am always impressed by what you learn on the ETS Forum!

Thanks,

Mike

grin
Posted by: el_diabl0

Re: Loaner Knife Horror Stories? - 11/29/07 01:54 PM

I just had a knife returned to me that I thought I lost about 20 years ago. My friend found it while going through some stuff in his basement. I must have left it at his house because I didnt loan it out, but I'd loan my knife to him any day.

Re: Loaner Knife Horror Stories? - 11/29/07 02:54 PM

Hi el_diablo,

It sure feels great when you find something that you have given up as lost for ever. With my current state of dis-organization I get that feeling too frequently.

Mike

Re: Loaner Knife Horror Stories? - 12/01/07 02:49 AM

(In the interests of honesty and full disclosure, I should mention that I can't definitively prove my explanation of the "knife and coin" tradition. I could swear I read this somewhere, and it makes sense, but I can't provide a link or source to back it up ... yet. So take it with a grain of salt. Cheers, all. D.)

Re: Loaner Knife Horror Stories? - 12/02/07 11:33 PM

My mother is very superstitious and won't give or receive a knife or pair of scissors without exchanging a penny at the same time.
Posted by: Grouch

Re: Loaner Knife Horror Stories? - 07/22/08 01:33 PM

Recently spotted signature: "If you can't afford to buy it then you can't afford to borrow it."

Great thread!
Posted by: comms

Re: Loaner Knife Horror Stories? - 07/27/08 09:13 AM

funny...all my loaners have broken tips. all the knives i depend on for preparedness are in great shape.