how do you tell the boss that I take meds?

Posted by: picard120

how do you tell the boss that I take meds? - 11/17/07 12:16 AM

how do you guys tell the boss that you are on medication? The meds cause my drowsiness not laziness. I work hard, furiously but my meds cause my fatigue near end of the day. I don't want to lose my job.
Posted by: wildman800

Re: how do you tell the boss that I take meds? - 11/17/07 12:34 AM

I'm required by Federal Law to report the use of all prescription drugs & to produce the Rx bottle, properly labeled.

Some prescibed drugs require a waiver from the USCG in order for me to retain my pilot's license.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: how do you tell the boss that I take meds? - 11/17/07 12:36 AM

Kinda depends on the boss, and the job. My department required that I notify them of all prescription meds I took, so that choice was out of my hands. If you set at a desk, you might be able to get away with a little noddin', but if you operate heavy equipment or something, you might want to think of a career change until you are off the meds...
Posted by: technician

Re: how do you tell the boss that I take meds? - 11/17/07 12:44 AM

You might want to talk to your doctor about this. He can either change your prescription to something else, or he can write a letter to your employer that can explain the situation and be placed in your file. My wife has a couple of letters in her file explaining her medical condition, and also because she had a couple of bosses that harassed her until the letters were produced.
Posted by: SwampDonkey

Re: how do you tell the boss that I take meds? - 11/17/07 03:20 AM

Good advice from technician, get the input/documentation from your doctor first.

In my job I would be required to disclose to my employer anything that may be a safety concern (e.g. being sleepy while driving). I have had injuries before and was reassigned to other duties until the condition was corrected.

Good luck,

Mike
Posted by: ironraven

Re: how do you tell the boss that I take meds? - 11/17/07 03:23 AM

With a doctor's note. Pretty hard to argue with, unless the reason for the meds or the meds themselves make you unable to perform your duties.
Posted by: KG2V

Re: how do you tell the boss that I take meds? - 11/17/07 09:18 AM

In my case, I have a very understanding supervisor. Some of my drugs are listed with the company MD - for instance, right now, I'm on Vicodin fairly regularly (which is why I happen to be up this early - needed a dose) - I have it on record so that if I get pulled on a "random drug test " I don't have a problem.

BTW I've never heard of the company actually DOING a test, but they have reserved the right to do so
Posted by: bws48

Re: how do you tell the boss that I take meds? - 11/17/07 05:36 PM

All above is excellent advice.

One of my general rules for work is to not let the boss get blind-sided by something you know but did not tell him.

In my experience as both a boss and worker, it always seems to work out better if the boss knows about something like this up front. If he doesn't, and something happens, then it sounds like an excuse. I've heard most of them, and they seldom ring true when you first hear about it after the fact.

Going in with some documentation (e.g. a letter from the doctor) and saying words to the effect of "hey, I don't think there will be a problem, but thought you should know..." will probably be the best approach.

Good Luck
Posted by: Russ

Re: how do you tell the boss that I take meds? - 11/17/07 06:28 PM

Why would the reason for your drowsiness be an excuse? If I was an employer I'd want my employees to be awake at work regardless of what meds they're on. Look for medication that doesn't put you to sleep.
Posted by: hiker1

Re: how do you tell the boss that I take meds? - 11/18/07 01:05 AM

In the public sector, I have found that the American Disabilities Act has helped provide some protection for workers with medical conditions. Whether the ADA actually covers a situation or not, just bringing up the ADA in conversation can get results.

In some cases, employers are required to accommodate one's medical condition with special equipment or making changes to the work environment. I'm sure its a more persnickty problem in private enterprise.

Your medical condition should remain as private as you wish it to be; but keep in mind that if your medication affects your job performance, the boss will only see a job performance problem. Most good bosses will accommodate medical conditions and daily meds to keep productive experienced employees.
Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: how do you tell the boss that I take meds? - 11/18/07 02:51 AM

Depends on the job, the medication and the boss.

Some jobs just can't be done if your drowsy or distracted. For any reason. Allowing anyone to work while medicated could put both themselves and others at risk and could set up all sorts of legal ramifications.

Ask your doctor about changing the medication and/or dosage to better control the side effects. Minor changes can have a big effect. Also, if this is a relatively new prescription, your metabolism might adjust and allow you to be more alert. A well timed cup of coffee, usually about fifteen minutes before you get drowsy, might help.

Some bosses will be sympathetic to your case and might give you a break if the job situation allows. Others might cut you some slack for a limited amount of time. Some won't.

With weak unions, right-to-work laws, employees hired as subcontractors, at-will employment and a general lack of worker rights your pretty much on your own if you can't work it out directly with the boss.
Posted by: UTAlumnus

Re: how do you tell the boss that I take meds? - 11/18/07 06:06 PM

Look into changing when you take it depending on the dosage schedule & effects.