First aid referenece cards?

Posted by: Kris

First aid referenece cards? - 11/10/07 12:47 PM

Good morning all,

I'm looking for a first aid reference to put in my FAK. Something along the lines that its laminated and with illistrations. The key is so that if i'm injured, that someone with no first aid knowledge can take my FAK (if something happens to me) and use it (probably not everything - AMK .9 modified, but enough to help someone).

Not looking for a book, more of a set of reference cards.

I'm looking online, but not seeing what I would consider 'good' references or what i'm after. And since there are some medics on this board, you guys might have some good ideas.

Thanks in advance,
Kris
Posted by: Be_Prepared

Re: First aid referenece cards? - 11/10/07 02:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Kris
I'm looking for a first aid reference to put in my FAK. Something along the lines that its laminated and with illistrations. The key is so that if i'm injured, that someone with no first aid knowledge can take my FAK (if something happens to me) and use it (probably not everything - AMK .9 modified, but enough to help someone).

Not looking for a book, more of a set of reference cards.

You could take the first aid related cards out of this deck of cards: (Aptly named: "Don't Die Out There" grin)
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39302661
There are cards for more than just first aid, so you might find some of the other things of interest too, like survival techniques.
Posted by: UTAlumnus

Re: First aid referenece cards? - 11/10/07 02:14 PM

I've got a set of exactly what you're looking for. They're credit card sized plastic. I found them 15 years ago at Waldenbooks (chain store, might be regional). They've since been removed from the kits I can reach right now due to space limits. IIRC they are all text with few if any pictures. I'll see if I can find them while I'm home over Thanksgiving.
Posted by: FIELDDOC

Re: First aid referenece cards? - 11/10/07 03:18 PM

Moore Medical has a first aid reference card called the Fast Aid Guide. It covers 27 different life threatening conditions. It is laminated and folds up nice and compact. It retails for under $5.00.

I build first aid kits for friends and family members. I make sure one of these cards is included, along with a small but comprehensive first aid book. That book is First Aid by R.M. Anderson.

When I build one of these kits I pack three sources of first aid information in them. One is the small manual, the second one is the Fast Aid Guide, and the third is an Adventure Medical Kits space blanket which has both first aid and wilderness survival information printed on it.

Hopefully no one will be screwed up enough to lose ALL THREE information sources.

Sorry I carried on longer than I expected to

Fielddoc
Posted by: bmisf

Re: First aid referenece cards? - 11/10/07 05:02 PM

Wilderness Medical Associates makes some great outdoor-oriented ones (for Wilderness EMTs and first responders):

http://wildmed.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv...egory_Code=PUBS

I have that one and a small "WFR cheat sheet" downloaded from NOLS here:

http://www.nols.edu/wmi/pdf/wfr_cheat_sheet.pdf

WMA also makes a great, extensive spiral-bound first aid field manual.

Re: First aid referenece cards? - 11/10/07 08:06 PM

Originally Posted By: UTAlumnus
I've got a set of exactly what you're looking for. They're credit card sized plastic. I found them 15 years ago at Waldenbooks (chain store, might be regional). They've since been removed from the kits I can reach right now due to space limits. IIRC they are all text with few if any pictures. I'll see if I can find them while I'm home over Thanksgiving.

I can't seem to find anything related to 'first aid books' and 'waldenbooks'. It just keeps taking me to amazon.

I'll look there for something like this (wish I thought of that sooner).

Thanks,
kris

Re: First aid referenece cards? - 11/10/07 08:07 PM

Originally Posted By: FIELDDOC
Moore Medical has a first aid reference card called the Fast Aid Guide. It covers 27 different life threatening conditions. It is laminated and folds up nice and compact. It retails for under $5.00.

I'd like to see this. I looked on Moore's site, can can't find anything like that.

Thanks,
kris

Re: First aid referenece cards? - 11/10/07 08:11 PM

Originally Posted By: bmisf

I have that one and a small "WFR cheat sheet" downloaded from NOLS here:

http://www.nols.edu/wmi/pdf/wfr_cheat_sheet.pdf

That cheat sheet is a good idea, but some noob to first aid wouldn't have a clue and spend more time trying to figure it out then aid value to an emergency.

Having said that, I might have a copy or two for myself.... I like it!

kris
Posted by: UTAlumnus

Re: First aid referenece cards? - 11/10/07 11:43 PM

Several of the brick and mortar stores use them for their web storefronts. These were individual cards by topic up by the cash register with the tip calculator cards.
Posted by: bmisf

Re: First aid referenece cards? - 11/11/07 12:38 AM

Originally Posted By: Kris
That cheat sheet is a good idea, but some noob to first aid wouldn't have a clue and spend more time trying to figure it out then aid value to an emergency.

Having said that, I might have a copy or two for myself.... I like it!

Yeah - not really what you were looking for, but a nice, credit-card-sized reference for those with training.

Re: First aid referenece cards? - 11/11/07 12:57 AM

Originally Posted By: UTAlumnus
Several of the brick and mortar stores use them for their web storefronts. These were individual cards by topic up by the cash register with the tip calculator cards.

Thank makes sense.

I'm still on the look out. I'm going to go down to my local red cross here (its the british version) and see what they have.

Worst case, I think i'll be making my own from a mixture of sources. I wonder if anyone else would be interested?
Posted by: ironraven

Re: First aid referenece cards? - 11/12/07 03:01 AM

Walden was bought out by or merged with Borders, about 18 months ago or so. I think the name might have been snagged up by someone already, but try bordersstores.com for the combined company.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: First aid referenece cards? - 11/12/07 03:24 AM

As a former EMT, I am not a real fan of "flash cards" for first aid. I guess that they are OK if you have a tummy ache and wonder what might have caused it, but for real emergency aid you usually don't have time to search thru the cards to find out where the pressure point is to stop arterial bleeding (assuming that direct pressure hasn't worked). You have to KNOW what to do, NOW. A small reference book for illnesses is another story...

Re: First aid referenece cards? - 11/12/07 05:58 AM

I think he has something more in mind of A-B-C (probably just showed how old my training is with that) for people who don't have a clue.

I've been thinking about this. The problem I see is, if you can give it to them, you can probably work on yourself. Or they are picking your pocket and looking for the money while you can't fight back.
Posted by: teacher

Re: First aid referenece cards? - 11/13/07 01:42 AM

What is the current protocol for CPR? Is it 2/30 or did it change? (breaths to compressions)

Teacher
Posted by: inkslngr

Re: First aid referenece cards? - 11/13/07 02:14 PM

Still 2/30, but at the rate of 100 compressions/minute. Depth of compressions is critical to provide effective CPR.
Posted by: LumpyJaw

Re: First aid referenece cards? - 11/13/07 05:24 PM

There are some cards at this site that you might be looking for.
It's called a Brunton pocket survival kit

https://edcdepot.com/merchantmanager/pro...260b4cb1f264ab2

or

www.edc.com

Hope this helps.
Posted by: Stu

Re: First aid referenece cards? - 11/13/07 05:37 PM

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores...6&langId=-1

"The most comprehensive compact survival guide.

Wt. 1 oz.
Five sturdy 3 in. x 5 in. plastic cards
300 Facts and Techniques, 40 First Aid.
150 Illustrations, incl. 64 Edible Plants
contents field tested; military survival sources
bulk less, weightless, durable, weatherproof"
"40 First Aid Topics: mouth-to-mouth resuscitation, external heart massage, shock, pressure points, suturing, amputation, insect and snake bite, sunstroke, hypothermia, crushing wounds, gunshot, scurvy, typhoid, fractures, dislocations, and more..."

Re: First aid referenece cards? - 11/14/07 02:31 AM

Doug evaled the Brunton card a few years back.

http://equipped.org/brunton_kit.htm

Less than overwhelming data, you can see most of it there.
Posted by: LumpyJaw

Re: First aid referenece cards? - 11/14/07 10:26 AM

Ironraven,
Thanks for the heads up on the Brunton cards.

Re: First aid referenece cards? - 11/14/07 11:44 AM

Thanks Ironraven... Good info.

Anyone have any reviews of the campmor one? Although i'm personally looking for a first aid reference cards, more information isn't bad.

Its looking more and more like an upcoming project for myself. A self made version.

Kris

Re: First aid referenece cards? - 11/15/07 04:40 AM

I recall that Doug used those when we was outfitting someone for an air race. I think he sharpied out some stuff, but I've never seen them.

Re: First aid referenece cards? - 11/15/07 05:55 PM

That would be great -- Let me go find my laminator...

Re: First aid referenece cards? - 02/10/08 08:46 PM

does still have his survival kit instructions for download here?
Posted by: hikermor

Re: First aid referenece cards? - 02/10/08 09:42 PM

I am with OBG on this one. Flash cards are pretty useless for the most part. If you are injured, I pray that you are not in the hands on untrained individuals. Clueless responders need a lot more than a flash card since they are typically too flustered to read. In my experience, you can probably do a better job administering first aid to yourself compared to the efforts of an untrained person.

I have had to self administer first aid, up to and including a fractured ankle. While not necessarily superlative, it was sufficient.
Posted by: JCWohlschlag

Re: First aid referenece cards? - 02/10/08 09:46 PM

Originally Posted By: teacher
does still have his survival kit instructions for download here?

Are these the links you are referring to?

These links are found at the bottom of the Doug Ritter PSP page.
Posted by: MDinana

Re: First aid referenece cards? - 02/10/08 10:20 PM

I've seen mainly spiral bound notebooks for EMT's, first responders, or medics (at Borders or Barnes&Noble). I guess if you felt so inclined, you could cut out cards relevant to what you want others to treat.

That being said, hopefully they'd be able to read and follow directions well.
Posted by: BruceZed

Re: First aid referenece cards? - 02/10/08 11:58 PM

I once when I was a very young Private in the army and very gung-ho an event that changed my option on the carrying of medical information in the field occurred. I was on a fire and movement range and I jumped forward at the end of my three step bound and had not bother to look ahead and see that there was a large patch of prickly pear cactus in front of me or wear gloves.

I then walked back to where the medics had parked their amb. When I arrived to have my hundred or so slivers removed from both hands and arms the medic said as she pulled out a pair of tweezers these immortal words "I have never done this before".

From that point on I have always recommended the carrying of quick reference or even small medical text. I would rather have a field medic say, "just a sec I want to make sure I have this procedure down" than "I have never done this before I hope this is how I do it"
Posted by: Onedzguy

Re: First aid referenece cards? - 02/11/08 08:40 AM

Here is one from the redcross store.

https://www.redcrossstore.org/Shopper/Pr...mp;LocationId=0

They even have new items on their web site.