Recomend a Folding Knife

Posted by: Erik_B

Recomend a Folding Knife - 11/01/07 04:15 PM

Until now my EDC folder has been a Benchmade mini Ambush. I've decided, because a recent bout of stupidity on the part of another broke the blade, and i've been wanting something with a bigger blade anyway, to start looking around for a new EDC folder.

requirements:
locking blade
one-hand opening
liner lock or frame lock
under $50 USD preferably

So, what do you recommend?
Posted by: KevinB

Re: Recomend a Folding Knife - 11/01/07 05:05 PM

Spyderco Native. S30V blade steel, slightly longer blade than the mini Ambush, $40 at WalMart. Great knife. I own a couple. It's a lockback, though, not a frame or liner lock. Still, it's rock solid.

Kevin B.
Posted by: KenK

Re: Recomend a Folding Knife - 11/01/07 06:48 PM

In all honesty, I recommend you save up another $57 (plus shipping) to buy a mini-RSK Mk1 "Rittergrip".

You'll save a considerable amount of money over the long run because you won't have to buy another folder.

They are really REALLY fantastic knives.

Ken K.
Posted by: Loganenator

Re: Recomend a Folding Knife - 11/01/07 07:02 PM

I'd have to agree with Ken.

Its my only folder that I have as a primary EDC. All the others I have owned I have considered merely backups due to past problems of chipping, breaking, rusting or simply lacking faith in.

Buy one knife and use it for daily 20 years and you will definitely get your money's worth.
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: Recomend a Folding Knife - 11/01/07 07:08 PM

How about a Spyderco Caly zdp-189 carbon handled folder.

The only downside - cost is about $150.

Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Recomend a Folding Knife - 11/01/07 07:33 PM

I paid 60 for my Kershaw Cyclone and so far it's been an outstanding EDC knife.
Posted by: JustinC

Re: Recomend a Folding Knife - 11/01/07 10:49 PM

Okay, this is my first post here...

Anyhow, if you have to keep it under $50, check out Columbia River Knife and Tool. I, and several of my co-workers, have used them extensively, and they offer a number of models over a wide price range.

Quality is very good, and the locking mechanism on the M-16 series is extremely robust.
Posted by: Stretch

Re: Recomend a Folding Knife - 11/01/07 11:11 PM

THe Spyderco Caly is a nice knife, but MUCH more than your budget. I'm with the others, save some more and get a Ritter Grip Mk1. OR..... for $13 over your budget, you can get a BM Griptilian, with the AXIS lock.
Posted by: RogerC

Re: Recomend a Folding Knife - 11/02/07 12:33 AM

CRKT M-18 on sale at REI for $39.93. I bought the non-serrated version a few years back and really like it, esp for the price.

CRKT M-18 at REI
Posted by: DrmstrSpoodle

Re: Recomend a Folding Knife - 11/02/07 01:33 AM

Personally, I'd go for a Victorinox One-Handed Trekker, or one of the Wenger Ranger models. A little bit bulky, but over time you'll never notice the extra tools are there until you need them. I know it's a little bit of a one-ended argument here from me but I've been carrying a SAK as well as a CKRT M16 model for quite some time. Both have yet to fail me, and I think they won't, not for a long while anyway.
Posted by: billym

Re: Recomend a Folding Knife - 11/02/07 01:53 AM

Originally Posted By: JustinC
Okay, this is my first post here...

Anyhow, if you have to keep it under $50, check out Columbia River Knife and Tool. I, and several of my co-workers, have used them extensively, and they offer a number of models over a wide price range.

Quality is very good, and the locking mechanism on the M-16 series is extremely robust.

Hi Justin,
Welcome aboard. CRKT are great knives for the cost for sure. I am not so much a fan of some of their designs but they do make a good quality knife IMO.
Bill
Posted by: hiker1

Re: Recomend a Folding Knife - 11/02/07 02:40 AM

I have a number of folding knives that I rotate, but two that are frequently in rotation are the Kershaw Ken Onion Blackout and one of several Victorinox SAKs. The Kershaw folders have been super reliable for me.

I also rotate the Blackout with the Ken Onion Whirlwind. I was really lucky to find the Whirlwind in excellent condition at a flea market for $15.00. I wish those kind of bargains would show up more often.
Posted by: joaquin39

Re: Recomend a Folding Knife - 11/02/07 02:30 PM

kershaw Vapor. Under $20.00 at Wall-Mart.I bougth one a few months ago. It came very sharp from the factory. I used constantly and never had to sharpened so far.
The one hand opening was confusing at the begining but I like it now. You can't go wrong for the price, if you loose it or break it, no big deal.
Posted by: norad45

Re: Recomend a Folding Knife - 11/03/07 12:33 AM

Originally Posted By: KevinB
Spyderco Native. S30V blade steel, slightly longer blade than the mini Ambush, $40 at WalMart. Great knife. I own a couple. It's a lockback, though, not a frame or liner lock. Still, it's rock solid.

Kevin B.

If you can't afford the Ritter mini right now then I'd second the Walmart Native. I bought one for my dad. But I thought it was a liner lock? confused
Posted by: saniterra

Re: Recomend a Folding Knife - 11/03/07 02:21 AM

Another vote for the Spyderco Native. Great knife, great value in the Walmart model.
Posted by: GrantC

Re: Recomend a Folding Knife - 11/03/07 04:57 PM

Oh, man, this is a no-brainer:

Kershaw Junkyard Dog

Sandvik 13C26 steel (much better than the AUS8 used by most of the less expensive knife makers) and absolutely amazing workmanship at this price point.

How good is it? I'm a self-admitted knife snob; up until recently, I wouldn't carry anything less than a (USA) Benchmade, and often carried some relatively expensive "designer" folders. The Junkyard Dog changed my mind regarding "affordable" knives.

Available in two sizes (the Junkyard Dog II is the larger.)

-=[ Grant ]=-
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Recomend a Folding Knife - 11/03/07 06:39 PM

Wow, I like the look of that Junkyard Dog. Thanks for the link.