Smoke hood

Posted by: acropolis5

Smoke hood - 10/31/07 03:31 AM

In my never ending quest to perfect my urban E&E kit, I've been looking for an effective replacement for my recalled EvacU8 hood. My search has led me to consider purchasing one of the MyXcaper smoke mask kits. Its light, compact and they say it filters CO. Does anyone have any non-advertising based info or experience with this kit?
Posted by: armageddon_aviator

Re: Smoke hood - 10/31/07 11:14 AM

I personally would go for the Draeger Parat C.

It's on the pricey side but looks like a reliable piece of hardware (Drager has a very good reputation).

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/paratCsmokehood.php

Posted by: Arney

Re: Smoke hood - 10/31/07 02:57 PM

Very interesting. This is a new product to me. Check out their website. They do list two independent tests (you can read the actual reports), including a 2007 test done by a lab in Europe in support of an application to be certified for the EU EN403 smoke hood standard. (Since there is no US smoke hood standard, this Irvine, California company can't get it certified here.)

I was skeptical that a mask of this type would filter carbon monoxide effectively, but according to these tests, it does a good job. Just from their company history page, they've been marketing to professionals and business customers for a number of years already, but only turned to consumer marketing this year. They have a good list of customers and references on their website.

I'm the eternal skeptic, but just based on perusing their website this morning, seems like this masks is the real deal. The lack of a head/face protection provided by a hood could be a drawback for some, but you do end up with a very compact product that is easily stored/carried. The set does come with goggles for eye protection. Obtaining a good face seal is a bit of concern for me, just looking at it, since you don't have sturdy straps that you can cinch up against your head. But perhaps the mask is able to conform well to the face because it is filled with these little balls and can be molded, so elastic straps are good enough. Oh, I really like the fact that you can buy practice masks.

Re: Smoke hood - 10/31/07 04:23 PM

Just looking through their product line some more, it looks like you can also buy just the filter portion quite inexpensively. These are replacement filters for their professional products, so no head straps are attached, but if you needed to outfit a large family or wanted to store masks in multiple locations, it might be something to consider. You'd have to hold the filter over your mouth, like you would with a wet handkerchief. Not ideal, obviously, but it would sure beat a wet handkerchief or no protection at all.
Posted by: Neville

Re: Smoke hood - 02/13/08 05:24 AM

Any updates on this? Do you carry a smoke hood/mask in your daily gear? I hate to carry untested equipment (see the EVACU-8 desaster) and, although I am less concerned about chemical attacks, I really consider a carbon monoxide filtering mask/escape hood such vital urban survival gear that I went from silent reader to my first post here. wink

Best Regards from Austria

Gerald

PS: Btw, great webside & forum!

Re: Smoke hood - 02/13/08 05:34 AM

Originally Posted By: RNeville
Any updates on this?

Interesting, I just checked the Xcaper website for the first time since I last posted about this, and you can find their consumer mask kit sold on Home Shopping Network! Actually, it looks like a great deal--$35 instead of $55. For a mask that actually filters CO, I'm actually very tempted to jump and buy some of these at such low prices. Compare that to the $75+ many of us paid to by our EVACU8's.
Posted by: Stokie

Re: Smoke hood - 02/13/08 05:39 AM

I'd like to hear if Doug has any comments?

I was interested in the Evac U8+ Hood until there was a recall on the product.

Watching this thread with interest.
Posted by: Blitz

Re: Smoke hood - 02/13/08 04:10 PM

Some additional info here:

http://www.saferamerica.com/doc/MyXcaperSmokeMaskKit.pdf

Checking their website the basic kit is $29.95

Blitz

Re: Smoke hood - 02/13/08 11:38 PM

I'm happy to find other forum members still interested in this subject. I bit the bullet and bought the Professional Model. The unit is light and the case easy to attach to a belt/srap. The mask is sealed. The googles are flimsy. I susbituted swim goggles. There's also a fauxton and an anemic whistle. Both on a lanyard. Lastly, the practice mask is a welcome addition. I'll probably buy more for the rest of the family.
Posted by: Steve

Re: Smoke hood - 02/14/08 02:54 AM

The smoke hood at aeromedix.com looks interesting, I may get one.

Steve
Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: Smoke hood - 02/15/08 04:05 PM

Working on large chemical plants We sometimes are issues escape hoods. Dreiger seems to be popular.

I always wonder about these units. It sounds like a good idea but the cost is quite high. Often the single-use-only escape hood that is only rated for 15 minutes is most of the price of a full-face respirator and hood that could, given a change of filter/s, could be used many times and would give you far more time than just 15 minutes.

Anyone else noticed this? Opinions?
Posted by: paramedicpete

Re: Smoke hood - 02/15/08 05:44 PM

There could be several reasons to issue single-use escape hood rather then full-face masks/respirator with changeable filters:

Facial hair: If any of the employees have beards or other facial hair that could interfere with the full-face mask/respirator from sealing correctly, they cannot be utilized. It might make it a challenge for the employer to set a no facial hair policy.

Fit and respiratory compliance testing are required annually for the use of a full-face mask/respirator. Each employee would have to receive a respiratory evaluation to make sure they can use a full-face mask/respirator and must then also be fitted with a properly sized full-face mask/respirator.

This could end up costing the employer more then simply issuing a single-use escape hood.

Pete

Re: Smoke hood - 02/15/08 06:24 PM

I was thinking along the same lines as Pete. I can't remember if I actually created a post about it when the news was first announced, but I think it will come as a surprise to most people that it was only in the past year IIRC that the FDA approved the first respirator (aka face mask) for pandemic flu for use by the general public. The N95/N99/N100 masks that many of us stocked up on during the SARS or avian flu scare days are all meant to be worn by health care workers (or in a "work" setting). As Pete points out, there are various in-house, OSHA and other agency rules about facial hair, training, fit testing, periodic review, etc. Really, personal protection is generally not just about the equipment itself. There's a whole system around it.

A single use smoke hood would need to be tested against various size heads, with long hair, beards to make sure that they provide protection without any formal fit testing. The packaging and instructions generally is also scrutinized to make sure that normal people can understand them without a trainer around to explain their proper use. You can sell smoke hoods to the general public, but there's gotta be liability issues to marketing protective gear to the general public versus for occupational use that we don't realize.

I'm still surprised that the US does not yet have a smoke hood certification standard like many other countries. Well, actually, maybe not so surprised. I suppose once you have a standard in place that certifies that the smoke hoods work, companies worry that the gov't will require them to spend money to make them available in buildings, on ships, airlines, etc.

Re: Smoke hood - 02/15/08 11:57 PM

Steve, before I became aware of the MyXcaper, I bought the Aeromedix hood you highlighted for my son's college BOB. It looks like a quality piece of equipment and the reviews I read were favorable. Note however that its a much larger and heavier package then the MyXcaper.
Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: Smoke hood - 02/16/08 06:37 PM

Originally Posted By: paramedicpete
There could be several reasons to issue single-use escape hood rather then full-face masks/respirator with changeable filters:

Facial hair: If any of the employees have beards or other facial hair that could interfere with the full-face mask/respirator from sealing correctly, they cannot be utilized. It might make it a challenge for the employer to set a no facial hair policy.

Fit and respiratory compliance testing are required annually for the use of a full-face mask/respirator. Each employee would have to receive a respiratory evaluation to make sure they can use a full-face mask/respirator and must then also be fitted with a properly sized full-face mask/respirator.

This could end up costing the employer more then simply issuing a single-use escape hood.

Pete

Fair enough but and undoubtedly sound reasons enough for institutional users to prefer these small 15 minute units but, for the most part, the people on this site are not subject to the same set of considerations.

An institutional user would prefer a one-size-fits-all and containerized unit that can be simply issues one per person without regard to problems of fitting. And of course a pre-packaged unit also eliminates many of the legal problems. If the escape hood fails to work as advertised the family of the deceased are going to sue everyone but mostly it is the hood manufacturer that gets nailed as long and use guidelines were followed.

The non-institutional user doesn't need a one-size solution because the unit can be fitted to each person beforehand. Hirsute individuals can opt for respirators or hoods that allow for this deviant style statement. Also there aren't going to be so many legal concerns. The main down side and concern is dying, not the financial liability if they get sued.