My Townie EDC

Posted by: TQS

My Townie EDC - 10/30/07 03:09 AM

Here is my current EDC:

I never use the lighter since I don't smoke, and I have been thinking of not carrying it, but haven't stopped yet because it reminds me to keep thinking of finishing my PSK.
The photon is a red covert (notice the sheath around the bulb) which often comes in handy. It's surprising how little a light it takes to function in complete darkness.
The cell phone usually only comes with me when I drive (for emergency AAA contact), which I haven't done since 2005 except for a few miles, but I might start carrying it with me wherever since I am paying for it and all my minutes will otherwise go to waste.
The Fisher space pen is nice as it has a stylus at one end, though I don't have need of a stylus. It is a good point thought for self-defense if it comes to that.
I use the memo pad as a mini-phonebook, and I use it often to jot down ideas and names of books that come up in conversations.
The WileyX sunglasses are a must, as I am light-sensitive, which means I get migraines sometimes even at the slightest reflected automobile glare.
Plenty of cash for burritos at the Mexican truck, and a buy-six-get-one-free card. I am half-way there.
The wallet is a shark-bite, so no annoying velcro rip sound, which makes me start to shape-shift.
The Victorinox often comes in handy, as can easily be imagined. It always amazes me how so much can be done with something so little. I have had it for about 25 years.
Posted by: benjammin

Re: My Townie EDC - 10/30/07 10:33 AM

Can't see the pic, but the description sounds good.

Keep the lighter. I quit smoking (except for an occasional cigar or pipe once or twice a month) in 1992, but I still carry a lighter. I can make fire rubbing sticks and such if I need to. The lighter is just really convenient and not that much trouble.
Posted by: cedfire

Re: My Townie EDC - 10/30/07 03:02 PM

Oh no, not the roach coach!! (just kidding)

Your setup sounds good. You might want to look into a different cell phone plan (Cingular, err, now the "new" AT&T) that has a rollover minutes plan. That way you get to keep what you don't use.

How about adding a small whistle?
Posted by: Hikin_Jim

Re: My Townie EDC - 11/01/07 04:46 PM

The photo of your EDC is gone. Can you re-post it?

Just for laughs, here's my EDC (below). Feedback appreciated. smile

• CRKT Lake Signature liner lock one handed knife.
  • US Army Issue P38 can opener
  • US Army Issue dog tags (can't hurt to have ID and blood type readily available; probably won't be taken even if mugged)
  • Small bic disposable lighter wrapped in plastic sealed w/ tape
  • Fox 40 (mini) whistle
  • Squeezable LED mini-light (doesn't have switch -- had bad luck with that type)
  • Cell phone
  • Bandana
  • Two way pager (email capable)
  • Mini compass (amazing how often I refer to it just out driving around now that I have it)
  • Victronox SAK Deluxe Tinker (pliers, 2 x knife, hook, awl/reamer, scissors, can opener/screwdriver/wire stripper, can piercer/mini screwdriver, corkscrew, tooth pick, and tweezers).
  • 550 cord, 5 ft.
  • chapstick
  • sunglasses
Posted by: teacher

Re: My Townie EDC - 11/02/07 03:12 AM

Jim,

Can we assume you carry a wallet(id, cash, etc.), keys, pen...

tro
Posted by: Hikin_Jim

Re: My Townie EDC - 11/02/07 04:03 AM

Yes, wallet, keys, and pen as well as comb and writing paper. Also a large college ring that can open a beer bottle -- a beverage for a different kind of survival. lol

Re: My Townie EDC - 11/02/07 10:00 AM

Here is my second attempt to upload my photo:

Re: My Townie EDC - 11/03/07 11:59 AM

Yep, I just happened to have a light for some smoker again. Other than that, I have no use for it in town. But on the odd chance I get "lost" in the woods and need a small fire to see me through the night, I'll keep it on me. Then again, I am probably going to have to make a hybrid townie-rural kit, not quite wholely wilderness survival, not quite wholely urban.

I don't know, but I think I need to get out more.
Posted by: Brangdon

Re: My Townie EDC - 11/03/07 02:23 PM

The main omission which strikes me is a whistle. Otherwise it seems basically fine.

The phone and lighter are a lot of bulk which don't seem to give you a lot of value. I carry an all-singing, all-dancing smart phone, but I know not everyone shares my love of gadgets.

I'd consider adding a bandanna or large handkerchief if you can find a suitable pocket for it. Back pockets are ideal; a good silk one will fold flat enough not to be noticed there, and it has a lot of uses in first aid or for cordage.
Posted by: teacher

Re: My Townie EDC - 11/03/07 03:50 PM

Yeah, I EDC a lighter and haven't used it in 5+ years. Still...
Posted by: aloha

Re: My Townie EDC - 11/03/07 08:18 PM

Originally Posted By: teacher
Yeah, I EDC a lighter and haven't used it in 5+ years. Still...

I was having a nice kidless dinner with my wife one night at the restaurant where we first met and the candle on our table wasn't lit. My wife was impressed when I whipped out the lighter and gave us instant atmosphere. She knows that carrying some EDC stuff i handy. She just doesn't like to lug too much around herself.

But I did get her to EDC a small SAK, a small light and whistle. It's a start and she has been carrying that little bit of kit for several years now.
Posted by: JCWohlschlag

Re: My Townie EDC - 11/03/07 08:29 PM

Originally Posted By: aloha
I was having a nice kidless dinner with my wife one night at the restaurant where we first met and the candle on our table wasn't lit. My wife was impressed when I whipped out the lighter and gave us instant atmosphere. She knows that carrying some EDC stuff i handy. She just doesn't like to lug too much around herself.

I don’t know about everyone else, but I’d EDC around a 200-lb. lead brick if it had the potential to get my significant other in the mood. A small lighter seems like child’s play in comparison! smile Good job, aloha!
Posted by: aloha

Re: My Townie EDC - 11/09/07 07:03 AM

Originally Posted By: JCWohlschlag
Originally Posted By: aloha

I don’t know about everyone else, but I’d EDC around a 200-lb. lead brick if it had the potential to get my significant other in the mood. A small lighter seems like child’s play in comparison! smile Good job, aloha!

Mahalo!