Bare Minimum EDC...

Posted by: benjammin

Bare Minimum EDC... - 10/29/07 12:23 PM

Okay, so for the bare minimum EDC that you'd have pretty much anywhere except the security line of the airport, I figure my Leatherman or SAK, an LED pocket flashlight, and my butane lighter. This would keep me from eating crow in most all situations I might have need of survival gear. In fact, it is what I EDC 16-20 hours a day anyways. Along with my cell-phone, wallet, and keys, and money when the girls haven't picked my pockets, that's about it for full time EDC. Next would come the Glock, but I think that is too specialized for most. Well, maybe not the folks here, but in general pop for sure.
Posted by: wildman800

Re: Bare Minimum EDC... - 10/29/07 12:39 PM

My bare EDC occurs while I am home in an urban environment and consists of:

Bic lighter
Buck 110
pocket watch
calendar book
ink pen
smokes
cell phone
spare truck key in wallet
eye glasses

My bare EDC at Work (8 months out of the year) has the above and the following:

Leatherman
.45cal double mag pouch (no mags/bullets)
large halyard clip
20ft of nylon thread
ball cap
combat boots
mini-maglite w/scabbard

Of course, I keep more items on my lifejacket and my BoB is kept in my stateroom, ready to go.
Posted by: teacher

Re: Bare Minimum EDC... - 10/29/07 02:27 PM

Ah, Florida. 'Round here we EDC a jacket, often a parka of some sort. Ten below ain't no picnic.
Posted by: bigreddog

Re: Bare Minimum EDC... - 10/29/07 02:55 PM

Cellphone
Wallet (Cash & cards)
SAK (could be one of 3, depending on how I feel - a little tiny one with blade, scissors and file/screwdriver lives on my keyring)
LED light (tiny blue led squeeze light lives on the keyring as backup)
Lighter (disposable)

Jacket pockets usually have a disposable poncho or space blanket

(UK members - tesco have space blanket and disposable ponchos bagged together - were a £1, now down to 25p. Even with the shortcomings of the space blanket, that is too cheap not to pack.)
Posted by: bmo

Re: Bare Minimum EDC... - 10/29/07 03:07 PM

My EDC is different for work (where I might have to go through court security on any given day) and after work/weekends.

Work:
TAD Gear Life Capsule, with the following inside:
Brunton Liquid Compass – in mini compass compartment
Spark-Lite Firestarter
Plastic Electrical Tape – 8 in. (wrapped around Spark-Lite)
Spark-Lite Tinder-Quik - .5 in compass compartment cap, 2 in
primary compartment
Match Striker – cut down in mini compass compartment end cap
Cable (“Zip”) Ties – modified 3.5 in.
Katadyn Micropur MP1 - crushed(x2), instructions and
expiration date included on strip of paper in capsule
Safety Pins – small (x2), medium size (x1)
Sewing Needle – heavy duty
Braided Fishing Line – “Spider Wire,” 10 lb.+ test,10ft.
Fishing Hooks – medium (x2)
Split Shot – extra small
Snap Swivel – medium
X-ACTO Blade – size #2
Parachute Cord - secured to exterior of container as lanyard
in snake knot configuration with split ring approx. 5 ft.
Inova Microlight - secured to split ring at end of lanyard
Keypack – leather; 3 separate compartments: zippered main compartment, brass button snap closure compartment, zippered key compartment with split ring; 4.5 x 3 in. (.25 in. depth empty)
Buttoned compartment:
Building security badge
Starbucks coffee card
Business cards
List of medicines, expirations dates and dosages
Zippered compartment:
Fisher Space Pen - Bullet style
Pill Fob – contains 2 days prescription medication with
list and pack date
Oral B Brush-ups
Anti-Bacterial Moist Wipe
Bandage – waterproof, medium
Bandage – small
Tylenol Extra Strength
Advil
Claritin
Immodium
Triple Antibiotic Ointment
Glide Dental Floss
Pre-Threaded sewing needles with colored thread (x9),
shirt button, white (x1)
Safety pins, small (x2)
Instant hand sanitizer – 1.5ml
Zippered outside compartment:
Gerber "Seal 'n Go" Sterile Bag
Cell Phone – Motorola RAZR
Benchmade Benchmite II
Money Clip - cash, business cards, postage stamps, gift cards
Slim Wallet – (part of larger wallet), driver’s license, proof of car insurance, etc.
Skagen Watch
Wedding Band

No keys in my pockets (suit pockets just won't hold more without sagging).
Posted by: KevinB

Re: Bare Minimum EDC... - 10/29/07 03:11 PM

Some variation of this:

Wallet (bandaids, coins, safety pins, usual stuff)
Cell phone
Bandana
Locking folder
Full-sized SAK
Keychain SAK
Photon II
Whistle
Leatherman
Tweezers
Pocket Mod
Pen
Reading glasses
Eye drops

Not pictured:
Front door key
Pill fob w/ Advil, antacid

Kevin B.
Posted by: Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp

Re: Bare Minimum EDC... - 10/29/07 03:17 PM

Bare minimum??

1. Ritter RSK-1 or Benchmade 710D2.
2. Victorinox Super Tinker quick clipped to a large keyring that has:
A. Bison capsule with $20.00 and 5 strike anywhere matches.
B. Micro Photon Lite.
C. BSA Hot Spark.
Posted by: benjammin

Re: Bare Minimum EDC... - 10/29/07 04:35 PM

Yeah, what is the bare minimum you find you must keep with you day in, day out. That sort of thing.

For quite a while I was edc'ing a messenger bag with a lot more stuff, but aside from my briefcase, I only ever have just a few items with me constantly now.

Of course, my modus operandi has changed significantly as well, ergo most of the stuff in the Messenger bag isn't as vital for everyday activity as it was. Still, I do have more junk in my briefcase, but it isn't "attached" to me like the messenger bag was, nor like the few items I tote in pockets now.

Yeah, I forgot to mention the wedding ring and the watch.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Bare Minimum EDC... - 10/29/07 05:07 PM

I consider my bare minimum to be my brain because one day I might be in that situation despite what I try to EDC. If my brain isn't the sharpest tool in the drawer, I could be in trouble one day.
Posted by: pipedreams

Re: Bare Minimum EDC... - 10/29/07 05:52 PM

Bare minimum:

SAK o' the day
LED Light
Hot Spark (on Keys)

todd
Posted by: Erik_B

Re: Bare Minimum EDC... - 10/29/07 05:59 PM

leatherman Wave
LED flashlight
bandanna
Wallet
watch
Keys to car, house, safe,
three days of Rx meds
lighter
cell phone

these things i am never without, unless the law prohibits it.
Posted by: Themalemutekid

Re: Bare Minimum EDC... - 10/30/07 01:55 AM

Bare minimum EDC:

Bic mini lighter

Locking folder

Cell phone

Bandana

Photon

Wallet
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Bare Minimum EDC... - 10/30/07 02:11 AM

Minimum EDC- Victorinox Nomad and a Gerber Infinity, joined on a biner, the Nomad tucked into my waistband. When that's all I'm carrying, I often don't have pockets.
Posted by: Rusty

Re: Bare Minimum EDC... - 10/30/07 02:27 AM

My minimum EDC:

Benchmade Mini Ruckus clip knife
Molorola RAZR
Sandisk Cruzer (4GB)
Leatherman Squirt P4
Photon 2
Old Leatherman Wave on belt (usually but not always)
Wallet

Plus:
Since I am a student, I have (90%) of the time my Targus Matrix backpack with:

-Modified DR PSK
-Peak LED Solutions Rainier (LED Light)
-Atwater Carey small FAK (with modifications)
-Small Nalgene bottle w/ water
-Small Umbrella
-Several energy bars
-Easily accessible tiny FAK in external pocket

My backpack isn't my "minimum" carry since I don't have it with me exactly 100% of the time. I really want to incorporate a DR PSK into my ON BODY carry but I am already carrying alot of "stuff" by my standard of comfort.
Posted by: Hikin_Jim

BSA Hot Spark - 11/05/07 08:41 PM

Carrying a BSA Hot Spark as part of one's EDC seems like a great idea. Doesn't it get pretty beat up on your keychain though? I would think the coating would quickly wear off. Isn't it the coating that makes the sparks? Once you wear off all the coating, then isn't it just another piece of steel?
Posted by: Shadow_oo00

Re: BSA Hot Spark - 11/05/07 09:15 PM

My Min EDC is as follows

Bruton Firestorm
Gerber Clutch
Res-Q-me
Inova Microlite LED
Swiss Army/Wenger Clippers
Spare Truck Key
Zebra Key Chain Pen
All On a Nite Ize S-Biner
Jet Scream

Boker Plus Jim Wagner Reality-Based Blade Knife
Wallet
CRKT M21
Cell Phone
Watch
Small FAK

I have a LA Police Gear Bail Out Tactical Gear Bag that I carry in the truck which is my 2nd line and my main Camelbak Hawg which is 3rd line, but their not what I consider my min EDC so no use going into them here.
Posted by: KenK

Re: BSA Hot Spark - 11/05/07 09:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
Carrying a BSA Hot Spark as part of one's EDC seems like a great idea. Doesn't it get pretty beat up on your keychain though? I would think the coating would quickly wear off. Isn't it the coating that makes the sparks? Once you wear off all the coating, then isn't it just another piece of steel?

I've carried a Hot Spark on a key chain for at least a year with no noticable degridation. It still sparks as well as the day I opened it.

I believe the coating you speak of it a form of oxidation that gets scraped off in use. The rod itself doesn't have a non-sparking "core" structure.

Ken K.

Re: BSA Hot Spark - 11/05/07 09:50 PM

OK, interesting. I have a Primus striker, and it says something about "good for 1,000's of uses." I was assuming that since there was a limit to the number of uses that there must be a special coating. Otherwise, I would think it would be good for millions of uses: until it's a worn through stub.

About how long is the Hot Spark? About the length of a key? And were there any considerations that caused you to buy the BSA Hot Spark over a Light My Fire, Primus, or other brand? (or was it just because you're affiliated with the BSA?)
Posted by: Paul810

Re: BSA Hot Spark - 11/05/07 10:31 PM

Originally Posted By: NightHiker
Carrying a BSA Hot Spark as part of one's EDC seems like a great idea. Doesn't it get pretty beat up on your keychain though?

I slipped a small section of aquarium air tubing over mine. I'm not at all concerned about wear & tear and did it primarily to reduce "jingling" but I suppose the protection is a fringe benefit.

I put a little shrink tubing over mine. You can see it here in the top right.

I've carried it like this for at least three years with no ill effects that I can see.

Re: BSA Hot Spark - 11/05/07 11:12 PM

Interesting. Sounds like something on this order is a pretty workable idea.

Out of curiosity, what is the object between your wallet and your keys? Also, on your key ring you have a stubby cylindarical object. May I ask what that is (or what is it in it)?
Posted by: Rusty

Re: BSA Hot Spark - 11/05/07 11:14 PM

Paul810,

What is your pocket arrangement for your EDC??

I have a Surefire and it has the tendency to scratch things unless it gets its own pocket.

Re: BSA Hot Spark - 11/06/07 12:31 AM

Interesting. Sounds like something on this order is a pretty workable idea.

Out of curiosity, what is the object between your wallet and your keys? Also, on your key ring you have a stubby cylindarical object. May I ask what that is (or what is it in it)?

The thing in the middle is my Verizon Chocolate cell phone. Real POS though, so it's going bye-bye soon. Probably being replaced with thier mil-spec G'zOne phone.

The thin round thing on the keys (on the left) in a silver whistle. The fat round thing on the keys (more towards the middle) is a pill fob that contains a spare battery for the Surefire and some cotten/vas tinder.

Originally Posted By: Rusty
Paul810,

What is your pocket arrangement for your EDC??

I have a Surefire and it has the tendency to scratch things unless it gets its own pocket.

The Surefire and keys go in my left front pocket. My right front pocket has my wallet and one of the knives clipped to it (I switch between the Charge and BM 707). The watch pocket holds my cell phone. One of my back pockets holds the bandanna.

The only one that's kind of out of place is the phone, it makes the wallet, and sometimes the knife, a bit hard to get out and in quickly. With my next phone I'll probably end up getting a case for my belt.

The surefire does scuff the keys up a little bit, but I haven't had any problems with it ruining any.

Re: BSA Hot Spark - 11/06/07 12:35 AM

You haven't had any problems with the Surefire's lens getting scratched? I was carrying a little Gerber AA LED light on my belt in a pouch but felt too nerdy in my office setting. Switched to a necklace mounted squeeze LED, but would go back to the Gerber in a quick minute if I thought I could pocket carry without damage.

Re: BSA Hot Spark - 11/06/07 01:39 AM

You haven't had any problems with the Surefire's lens getting scratched? I was carrying a little Gerber AA LED light on my belt in a pouch but felt too nerdy in my office setting. Switched to a necklace mounted squeeze LED, but would go back to the Gerber in a quick minute if I thought I could pocket carry without damage.

That's why I pay a bit extra for the Surefire lights, over, say, a Gerber or other cheaper light. Surefire uses thick sapphire coated tempered pyrex glass (similar to what expensive watches use for their crystal, but even thicker and tougher). Unless you're carrying sapphires or diamonds in your pocket it's very tough to scratch it. grin

It's tough to explain to most people why some of us pay extra for that Benchmade knife or a Surefire light, when there are plenty of other cheaper options out there that do the same thing. But, for me it's those little details, like not scratching the lens when I throw it in my pocket even after 5+ years of daily carry, that make it worth it. wink
Posted by: bmo

Re: BSA Hot Spark - 11/06/07 02:06 AM

I assume you mean the Gerber Infinity? It goes in my pocket when I get home and on the weekends. It is in my pocket with keys or the other pocket with a TAD Gear Life Capsule, both are pretty abrasive. The finish hasn't stood up so well (silver starting to show through the finish due to wear) but the LED bulb is no worse off. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind replacing it with a Surefire, but it does the job when I'm walking the dog.
Posted by: norhumco

Re: Bare Minimum EDC... - 11/06/07 04:39 AM

SAK Companion
Leatherman P4 Squirt
Gerber LST
DR Mini RSK
Leatherman Wave (90% of the time)
Bandana
Mini Bic
One Tablet Gas-X (sometimes....)
Cell phone
Wallet w/ $50 emergency cash
Fisher Bullet Pen in wallet
Watch
Posted by: norhumco

Re: Bare Minimum EDC... - 11/06/07 04:40 AM

I forgot the Photon on my keyring

Re: BSA Hot Spark - 11/06/07 05:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Paul810

That's why I pay a bit extra for the Surefire lights, over, say, a Gerber or other cheaper light. Surefire uses thick sapphire coated tempered pyrex glass (similar to what expensive watches use for their crystal, but even thicker and tougher). Unless you're carrying sapphires or diamonds in your pocket it's very tough to scratch it. grin

It's tough to explain to most people why some of us pay extra for that Benchmade knife or a Surefire light, when there are plenty of other cheaper options out there that do the same thing. But, for me it's those little details, like not scratching the lens when I throw it in my pocket even after 5+ years of daily carry, that make it worth it. wink

That's quite a testimonial for the Surefire. I've got so many freakin' flashlights it's not even funny. Of course what would one more hurt ... smile
Posted by: MDinana

Re: BSA Hot Spark - 11/06/07 06:16 PM

Yeah, I love my Surefire too, I have a E1L. It's actually "too bright" sometimes, so I ordered the red lens to pop on the top. It protects the bulb, and allows me to keep my night vision when I do something basic and quick (like walking the dog, midnight nature calls, etc).

That being said, I'm in love with my Fenix. Same battery, LOTS better life to it, plus adjustable light output.

Now on to the main topic...
My EDC is in flux, I did have a Gerber Tempo, RangerRick 1-hand lighter, SAK classic, and small pill fob on a key loop. Problem was, it didn't fit well in my pocket. On my keychain, was a Inova microlight and SOG micro tool (with the scissors). But, too bulky for comfort carry.

Currently, the Inova and SAK are on my keys. The SOG is in my pocket, with my cell phone. Wallet, with a small Fisher space pent. I'm debating carrying the Gerber light (or even the Fenix). Haven't decided on the RR 1-hander. Since I just bought one of the metal Spark-like's on Ebay, I might drill a hold through it and throw it on my keychaing.

Re: BSA Hot Spark - 11/06/07 09:06 PM

I wonder if a Spark Lite wouldn't get fouled by lint in pocket carry.
Posted by: corpsman

Re: BSA Hot Spark - 11/09/07 08:32 PM

sry. No pix.

RR: wallet, comb... still have a full head of hair.

LR: Bandana, divided leather pouch, no bigger/thicker than my wallet, that contain a LM S2, fisher bullet, Inova x1 (flood version since it came out) and a BSA spark lighter hidden across the bottom. This pouch RARELY causes me any comfort problems...

RF: Change, V-nox pioneer, ranger, camper seahorse whittler or some other "folder." BM 710 HS best knife ever... Griptillion is a close second. If I dress up a BM 590 - I like Allan Elleshwitz's stuff.

LF Key chain. House/car/work keys, bsa spark lighter, v nox mini champ, Fenic LOP SE and occasionally a small "home made" pry bar all on a small locking 'biner like key chain.

Belt: May FAV multitool, original LM Wave and a Surefire A2 w/ white leds.

Posted by: philip

Re: Bare Minimum EDC... - 11/09/07 10:25 PM

My everyday carry, from flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/civex/907489749/; the group with lots of such photos: http://www.flickr.com/groups/theitemswecarry/pool/
Posted by: Be_Prepared

Re: Bare Minimum EDC... - 11/10/07 02:12 PM

This is about all I can EDC with my normal work clothing, which is a suit unfortunately. On nights and weekends this would be augmented by a better light, knife, leatherman, etc...

Posted by: DFW

Re: Bare Minimum EDC... - 11/10/07 08:27 PM

Phillip -

What brand is the red knife?
Posted by: Shadow_oo00

Re: Bare Minimum EDC... - 11/10/07 08:53 PM

Posted by: Paul D.

Re: Bare Minimum EDC... - 11/11/07 10:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Shadow_oo00
Looks like the Swiss Army SD Classic Pocket Knife.

I think he is asking about Philip's Benchmade.
Posted by: Russ

Re: Bare Minimum EDC... - 11/11/07 10:54 PM

Looks like a Benchmade 940 Red (Limited Edition).
Posted by: sotto

Re: Bare Minimum EDC... - 11/11/07 11:32 PM

I carry this with me everyday in a clinic setting. It's the bare minimum for me:

Clockwise (more or less) starting at top on the periphery:

T-Mobile Wing phone
With keys: Streamlight Key-Mate flashlight, ASP Key Defender, Swiss Multi-Tool, carabiner
ARC AAA Camo flashlight
Rotring Esprit pocket pen
Cricket piezo butane lighter
Leatherman P4 Squirt
Wallet

Center clockwise (more or less):

Guess Waterpro watch
ACE rubber comb
Heavy gauge Fender guitar pick (for jazz)
Medium gauge Flex 75 Herco nylon guitar pick (for blues)

Everything encircled by a Ralph Lauren Polo leather belt (multi-use--stropping knives, a tourniquet, a sling, etc., and of course holding up pants).

Re: Bare Minimum EDC... - 11/12/07 12:03 AM

Originally Posted By: sotto
Everything encircled by a Ralph Lauren Polo leather belt (multi-use--stropping knives, a tourniquet, a sling, etc., and of course holding up pants).

I wish my son and his teenage buddies would see the value in that last part... grin
Posted by: massacre

Re: Bare Minimum EDC... - 11/12/07 06:14 PM

Be_Prepared, or anyone who knows, I'd like to get my hands on that magnesium ferrod pictured just left of the squirt and right of the compass. Does anyone have a source?
Posted by: Stu

Re: Bare Minimum EDC... - 11/12/07 06:37 PM

Originally Posted By: massacre
Be_Prepared, or anyone who knows, I'd like to get my hands on that magnesium ferrod pictured just left of the squirt and right of the compass. Does anyone have a source?

Best Glide K-1 SPARKY
Campingsurvival.com K-1 SPARKY

Re: Bare Minimum EDC... - 11/12/07 10:17 PM

They just went on my hit list. Many thanks!

Re: Bare Minimum EDC... - 11/12/07 10:28 PM

I bought that one from: http://www.magflintfirestarter.com/

They have a few different models. I think the one I have on the keyring is called the Scout 10NH (for "no handle"). I've had a couple different ones over the years, but, this one's been good since 2004 on the ring. (I looked up the order cause I was curious how long it had been)

Re: Bare Minimum EDC... - 11/12/07 10:42 PM

Thanks... wow, 3x the price of the other places SBRaider posted. Yikes! smile

Re: Bare Minimum EDC... - 11/12/07 10:52 PM

Thanks... wow, 3x the price of the other places SBRaider posted. Yikes! smile

I don't know if they are the same or not. If they are, good deal! Only thing I have noticed is that with the fero/mag rods, you can actually have quite a quality difference between them. Some of the ferro rods don't seem to throw sparks as well, others have had a tendency to fall off (they are glued into a channel cut into the magnesium.) I have found these ones from Mag-flint take a beating, and throw a ton of sparks. YMMV

Re: Bare Minimum EDC... - 11/13/07 02:47 AM

> Medium guage Flex 75 Herco nylon guitar pick (for blues)

I love the blues. :-)

Re: Bare Minimum EDC... - 11/13/07 02:49 AM

Correctomundo.
Posted by: sotto

Re: Bare Minimum EDC... - 11/13/07 03:49 AM

Oh, yeah. The pentatonic minor blues scale. Another survival tool I can't live without!
Posted by: cliff

Re: Bare Minimum EDC... - 11/13/07 05:25 AM

OK, here's mine:

iPhone & earphones (in belt case)
Hokin' bunch of keys on keyring (Left front pants pocket)
Wallet & comb (Left rear pocket)
"Toolkit" - Leatherman Squirt S4, Arc AAA-P LED, P-38 can opener, BSA Hotspark, small REI poll fob with pills and cotton, all on a small carabiner (Right front pocket)
Bic Cricket lighter (Right front pocket)
Anglican Rosary (Right front pocket)
Service "Dog Tags", blank dog tag polished to mirror shine, small whistle, $20 sandwiched between dog tag and mirror with rubber keeper (around neck)

Leatherman Wave, PSK, ziploc bags and 10' of parachord are in my journal / portable office (I did a post about that a while ago - try doing a search for Cliff's Neat-o EDC, or something like that).

Hope this helps.

.....CLIFF
(like, who else?)