California Fires...A Terrorist Attack??

Posted by: Blitz

California Fires...A Terrorist Attack?? - 10/25/07 01:00 AM

Here we go?

Officials: Major California Wildfire Declared Arson

SAN DIEGO — A major wildfire that has scorched thousands of acres and destroyed hundreds of homes in Southern California has been declared an arson, according to Orange County law enforcement and FBI officials said on Wednesday.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,304623,00.html

Your thoughts?

Not a hard way to create havoc.
Posted by: MDinana

Re: California Fires...A Terrorist Attack?? - 10/25/07 01:07 AM

If they are, it's a bass-akcward way of doing it. Wildfires occur annually. Why try to mimic that? The point of terrorism is to bring awareness to an issue.
Posted by: KevinB

Re: California Fires...A Terrorist Attack?? - 10/25/07 01:46 AM

At least 3 of them were arson - Santiago, Fallbrook/De Luz and Rice Canyon. But at least 3 were downed power lines, one was a construction crew welding (on a day with 80 mph sustained winds), one was a car fire, and others we may never know.

Terrorism's been talked about out here in the past, and it would be a very effective threat, but bad luck, idiocy and lunacy account for more damage than any terrorist could think of.

If it makes you feel any better they arrested one arson suspect who had just started another fire. Citizens saw him, called the police, then put the fire out with shovels. Then the police shot and killed another one who tried to get away by ramming police cars with his truck. Not a good tactic on the average day, really bad when everyone's so edgy. Arson is responsible for a large percentage of our wildfires every year. Arsonists better hope they don't get caught. People around here aren't feeling real tolerant at the moment.

Kevin B.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: California Fires...A Terrorist Attack?? - 10/25/07 01:57 AM

Well put...
Posted by: ironraven

Re: California Fires...A Terrorist Attack?? - 10/25/07 03:02 AM

Until I see evidence, I am going to discount any claims of ties to organized terrorism. The reason why I say that is becuase one more fire on top of so many others isn't that impressive, and it wasn't near anything terribly important. The only motive I can see is random insanity and plain, old cussedness.

Re: California Fires...A Terrorist Attack?? - 10/25/07 03:37 AM

I disagree. I think that certain factions will attack regardless, in any way possible. Here is an easy way to do it. I do think its about news headlines (which are already everywhere anyway) Its a way to drain us economically and promote division.

Re: California Fires...A Terrorist Attack?? - 10/25/07 03:54 AM

Personally, I think that terrorists want to scare the bejezzus out of you, having you know that "they" did it. I can think of a jillion ways to easily screw up our freeway systems (in the metropolitan areas), with minimal expense, but "they" wouldn't necessarily be given credit for the act. They want notoriety. One more brush fire, in a state well known for brush fires, doesn't give them that...

Re: California Fires...A Terrorist Attack?? - 10/25/07 11:29 AM

OK, I concede all. What you said make sense. I was a little liquored up when I posted last night, after having a few cold ones while watching the Red Sox stomp on the Rockies (sweet). Sorry, my bad. crazy
Posted by: cedfire

Re: California Fires...A Terrorist Attack?? - 10/25/07 01:32 PM

Reminds me of the Japanese fire balloon attacks during WWII. They killed six people but were unsuccessful in starting any large fires.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_balloon

Re: California Fires...A Terrorist Attack?? - 10/25/07 02:22 PM

"...I was a little liquored up when I posted last night..."

Been there, done that. More than once I am sorry to say...

Re: California Fires...A Terrorist Attack?? - 10/25/07 02:40 PM

I'll probably have to do it again tonight, damn World Series, however, I'll make sure to stay away from the net this time. Getting a little spoiled with these great sports teams here. Go Sox, Go Pats.
Posted by: JCWohlschlag

Re: California Fires...A Terrorist Attack?? - 10/25/07 06:58 PM

As far as I can recall (having just moved from Southern California), about 50% of the fires that occur every year during fire season (all year) are arson. The fact that multiple fires happen at the same time is the nature of arsonist, I guess, as the same thing has happened multiple times in previous years. Seems the sick bastards just love to exacerbate already existing problems.