30 mins to leave your house...discussion

Posted by: teacher

30 mins to leave your house...discussion - 10/24/07 09:27 PM

over on lifehacker.com there is an interesting so cal fire kinda related question about "What would you take if you have 30 mins to evacuate your house?"

30 mins to leave...

I noted, on brief glance, a lack of food or tools. Leave your responses below.

Teacher
Posted by: Rusty

Re: 30 mins to leave your house...discussion - 10/24/07 09:45 PM

It is very interesting to look at some people's priorities (or lack there of). Most people seem concerned with computers/data/pets. I can understand pets, but what good is a computer if there is no power or let alone food or water?

Although, i guess...depending on the magnitude of the evacuation, heirlooms, pets, pictures, data, computers, etc. may be SOME people's top concern if the evacuation.

Some of the people in the discussion are betting pretty big on the fact that the evacuation will be short term, well organized, and most importantly, aided by "some greater authority" that will provide the basics: food, shelter, etc.

Nevertheless, SOME people seemed to have their plans fairly well organized...

Just my $0.02

Re: 30 mins to leave your house...discussion - 10/24/07 09:49 PM

I should post the contents of my BOB on the Lifehacker discussion. Maybe it would get some people thinking...

My signature is very fitting in this discussion i think...
Posted by: KG2V

Re: 30 mins to leave your house...discussion - 10/24/07 10:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Rusty
...snip... I can understand pets, but what good is a computer if there is no power or let alone food or water?

...snip...

The reason to grab a computer is the data that is on it - I'd grab my CPU chassis, and leave the rest behind - it's the ultimate set of backup disks - of course family, pets and vital docs go first
Posted by: GarlyDog

Re: 30 mins to leave your house...discussion - 10/24/07 10:45 PM

Put the dogs in the bug-out trailer kennels, hitch up and leave with time to spare.

Food, water, clothes, important docs and supplies for 30 days are always ready in our bug out trailer.

A backup computer is also installed in the trailer. Every night a batch job copies current data from our servers to the backup computer.

We are always ready to bug out....and often do for long weekends.

Posted by: ducktapeguy

Re: 30 mins to leave your house...discussion - 10/24/07 10:47 PM

Originally Posted By: teacher

I noted, on brief glance, a lack of food or tools. Leave your responses below.

Teacher

An evacuation is different than bugging out. This scenario is completely different than say, an earthquake, because it is relatively localized (contrary to the media reports) A few miles outside the fire area and everything is normal. People aren't worried about surviving the elements with what they have in their BOB's, they're concerned about saving their belongings. If I was in that situation, I'd be grabbing anything irreplacable, pictures, documents, pets, money, antiques, maybe computer stuff. I definitely wouldn't be thinking about food or water or tools, when I could just drive 10 miles go buy whatver I need. I'd probably have some of those basic items already in my car, but for this situation there's nothing really life threatening if you don't have the necessities.
Posted by: samhain

Re: 30 mins to leave your house...discussion - 10/24/07 11:15 PM

EASY EASY EASY.
Already got a punchlist printed out and ready to go.
(did I ever say I love , not like, LOVE punchlists?)

1) Hurricane Boxes:
food, water, cleaning supplies, cooking supplies, batteries, port radio, chem lites, tp, paper towels, paper plates, plastic cups, disposable eating utensis

2) Personal bug out bags:
2 days of clothes, book, toiletries, towel, psk, fak, light jacket/heavy if winter, multi tool. sak, ipod and charger, nalgene bottle, bug spray, space blanket.

3) Household Black Box:
pending bills, household control binder, phone cards, envelopes, stamps, stapler, tape, pens and pencils.

4) Firebox folder:
2 rolls of quarters, emergency cash, extra checks, b/u of quicken and quickbook files, quicken and quickbook cd's to reload the program if needed, copies of passwords, copies of driver's license, ssn cards, copies of medical ins cards, resume's, professional licenses, life ins, house ins, photos- scanned on cd's, home movies-sooned to be converted onto dvd's but now still on VHS)

5) Household First Aid Tacklebox:
Besides FA supplies, 7 days of prescriptions, and OTC meds-- If I'm bugging out I gotta have my Immodium and Excedrin!!! (was that too much information?)

6) Camping Equipment loaded in/on my external framed pack:
Tent, tarp --already bungie corded together, sleeping bgs, air matress -- for my hunny bunny, beercan stove and fuel, cooking kit, shovel, rope, water filter, micropur tabs, water containers, coleman stove and fuel.

7) Emergency Equipment:
(gun and ammo, walkie talkies, cell charger, maps, tool box)

8) Notify Loved ones
(punch list has them listed -- I just thought about adding their phone numbers as well)

9) Secure House:
(shut off water and power, lock doors.

10) other tasks:
(to be determined)

Most of this is already living in their own boxes or packs. The only things that need to be packed is the camp gear (though the bulk of that lives in it's own big tupperware box) and the DW and DD's individual BOBs. My daily backpack pretty much stands as a BOB of it's own.

I would love (not like, LOVE) some feed back on my punchlist. I haven't done a 30 minute drill (yet) but I think it sounds like fun.

Re: 30 mins to leave your house...discussion - 10/24/07 11:19 PM

ducktapeguy, I agree with you. Bugging out is different than evacuating. It all depends on WHY you are evacuating from (fire, earthquake, flood, etc.) In the case of the SOCAL fires, typical BOB gear would most likely be a lower priority than family heirlooms, pictures, data, etc.

I didn't read that the lifehacker discussion was SPECIFICALLY aimed toward the fire evac. (OOPS!!). (I'm the guy who assembles things without using the instructions that came in the box).

I would definitely grab my computer chassis (even though it weighs 50+ pounds). I have put way too much time/money into building it for it to be lost in a fire.

PS: I like the guy in the Lifehacker discussion who said he wouldn't take anything because he likes the feeling of "owning nothing".
Posted by: Russ

Re: 30 mins to leave your house...discussion - 10/24/07 11:43 PM

I'm in SOCAL. I threw an extra bag of clothes and my get-home-kit in the back of the truck along with my range bag, shotgun and a .22LR rifle. Then I grabbed a small bag with my nomex clothes and put that up front with my EDC backpack. That took less than 30 min. A lot of stuff stays in the truck so I was just grabbing extras. My laptop was stored in the truck the first night.

That was also two days ago and the truck hasn't left the garage since. Folks around here are coming back home so I'll probably unload tomorrow.
Posted by: Paul810

Re: 30 mins to leave your house...discussion - 10/25/07 12:42 AM

Being it's only me in my apartment at the moment it's much easier than it would be for most. My truck is already loaded up with tools, gear, food, water, and clothes.

Therefore, assuming I'm already dressed, I just need to grab my laptop, my safe, my school bag, and my boots/jacket (which are by the door). I could be out and on the road within five minutes.

I also make sure I always have at least a half a tank of gas, which would easily get me back to my parents house 200 miles away (even with a lot of traffic).

In my opinion, it's a good idea make up some kind of a bug-out kit with food, water, clothes, and other basics that you keep in the car. You might not be able to get to your house in an emergency, but your car is usually nearby. Keeping a kit in your car gives you two places (car and home) where you have basic supplies you can grab. That way you have what you need to survive time spent away from home.

Also, If I had it with me I would probably grab my dirt bike. If I got hopelessly stuck in traffic I could fill my backpack up with stuff, throw it on my back, and cut through traffic on the bike.
Posted by: technician

Re: 30 mins to leave your house...discussion - 10/25/07 01:20 AM

I'd have my wife grab her meds and laptop; I'd grab my meds, laptop and fire safe. My BOB is in the car; anything else we need is in her purse or my wallet.
Posted by: Shadow_oo00

Re: 30 mins to leave your house...discussion - 10/25/07 01:46 AM

First thing I would do is get the wife moving having her get important documents, photos, med's etc., Also the pets. While shes doing that I would be hooking up the trailer which is fully stocked and ready to go. Next thing would be to grab all the extra food and water. My truck and her SUV already have our BOB bags in them, my truck also has a tent, sleeping bags food & water and heat in case we have to ditch the trailer. I like to have all the bases covered. Truck also has extra gas in it, tools and fluids. Truck and SUV always have at least half a tank of gas never less, I also carry a hose and fuel pump in case I need to get more. Secure house and let other family members where we're going.Last but not least weapons and ammo.
Posted by: KevinB

Re: 30 mins to leave your house...discussion - 10/25/07 02:04 AM

Living here in SoCal, I've thought about this once or twice. I live in one county, and my ranch is in another, so that adds a complication. The ranch has already burned once. Evacuating the horses is the biggest issue.

Otherwise, from home:

1. Family, including dogs.
2. Documents (firesafe, laptop, PC chassis, plus I have offsite backups).
3. Pictures/home videos - well, as many as I could load.
4. A little food, as much water as I can (don't forget dog food).
5. A few clothes.
6. Tent, sleeping pads, sleeping bags.
7. Personal hygiene stuff.
8. Cash.
9. Cell phones/chargers.
10. If there's any room, a couple of my better guitars.

In about that order. As said, evacuation is different than bugout. We wouldn't likely be living off the land. Not in SoCal if there was a major earthquake or fire event.

BTW, whoever asked about why computers? Most of our financial documents are on the computer. We run our business from home.

The guitars are "just 'cuz". I like them, and they'd be hard to replace.

Kevin B.
Posted by: Blast

Re: 30 mins to leave your house...discussion - 10/25/07 02:24 AM

1. DW puts kids and pets into car while I grab contents of safe (money/important papers/IDs) and "crash bag".
2. DW grabs notebook computer and networked harddrive while I grab medicine.
3. DW grabs spare clothes while I grab food/water supplies.
4. DW grabs emergency binder while I grab guns.

Explanation #1: crash bag
This is a rolling duffle that holds several fleece sleeping bags, toiletry kit, ear plugs, books, deck of cards, radio, and flashlight. It is gear for crashing at a friend's/relative's place or worst case an emergency shelter. Similar to a BOB.

Explanation #2: guns
I'd grab these mainly to keep them out of the hands of looters.

-Blast
Posted by: ironraven

Re: 30 mins to leave your house...discussion - 10/25/07 02:49 AM

Well, as a computer engineer and an author (trying to get published), losing my computer would as bad if not worse than losing things like my photo albums and some personal momentos. Fortunately, all the important stuff is on an external hard drive, and that has a padded hard case that does double duty as a foot rest under my desk. I've got a spare power cable for it in the case, so it a matter of pulling out the case, pulling out the power and data lines from the drive, and closing it up.

I'd probably want to break someone if Lazarus (my computer) got cremated, becuase he's emotionally a part of me, but if that drive is with me it isn't a total loss. And as it was part of Lazarus, he will survive, I will rebuild him. (There is a reason he's called Lazarus. He's been rebuilt before.)

Along with the hard drive, toss the sleeping bags and some clothes in a tote. Add a pillow case full of ammunition, and put holstered pistols in a second one. Pour the knife drawer into a third, other than my Ka-bar which goes on my belt. Grab the rifles, my axe, the water container and the gas cans. If I've still got time on that 30 minutes, fill a tote with medical supplies and food. Then start grabbing off the reference shelf until the second tote and my old book bag were full.

If I move home... yeah, the first half of that thirty minutes will be spent tracking down cats if I'm the only one there. Fortunately, they come when my mother calls, so I help her load them in her car, and we split up. The drill has always been once you are loaded, get out and head for the designated rally point. Everyone links up there.
Posted by: wildman800

Re: 30 mins to leave your house...discussion - 10/25/07 03:12 AM

I evacuate via The Nuclear War Survival Skills; Chapter 4: Evacuation guidelines as quoted here:

A.THE MOST NEEDED ITEMS

Category 1. Survival Information: Shelter building and other nuclear survival instructions, maps, all available small battery-powered radios and extra batteries, a fallout meter such as a homemade KFM (see Appendix C), and writing materials.

Category 2. Tools: Shovel, pick, saw (a bow- saw is best), ax or hatchet, file, knife, pliers, and any other tools specified in the building instructions for the shelter planned. Also take work gloves.

Category 3. Shelter-Building Materials: Rain- proofing materials (plastic, shower curtains, cloth, etc.) as specified in the instructions for the type of shelter planned Also, unless the weather is very cold, a homemade shelter-ventilating pump such as a KAP, or the materials to build one (see Appendix B).

Category 4. Water: Small, filled containers plus all available large polyethylene trash bags, smaller plastic bags and pillow cases, water-purifying material such as Clorox, and a teaspoon for measuring.

Category 5. Peacetime valuables: Money, credit cards, negotiable securities, valuable jewelry, checkbooks, and the most important documents kept at home. (Evacuation may be followed not by nuclear war, but by continuing unstable nuclear peace.)

Category 6. Light: Flashlights, candles, materials to improvise cooking-oil lamps (2 clear glass jars of about 1-pint size, cooking oil, cotton string for wicks (see Chapter 11, Light), kitchen matches, and a moisture-proof jar for storing matches.

Category 7. Clothing: Cold-weather boots, overshoes, and warm outdoor clothing (even in summer, since after an attack these would be unobtainable), raincoats and ponchos. Wear work clothes and work shoes.

Category 8. Sleeping Gear: A compact sleeping bag or two blankets per person.

Category 9. Food: Food for babies (including milk powder, cooking oil, and sugar) has the highest priority. Compact foods that require no cooking are preferred. Include at least one pound of salt, available vitamins, a can and bottle opener, a knife, and 2 cooking pots with lids (4-qt size preferred). For each person: one cup, bowl, and large spoon. Also, a bucket stove, or minimum materials for making a bucket stove: a metal bucket, 10 all- wire coat hangers, a nail, and a cold chisel or screwdriver (see Chapter 9, Food).

Category 10. Sanitation Items: Plastic film or plastic bags in which to collect and contain excrement; a bucket or plastic container for urine; toilet paper, tampons, diapers, and soap.

Category 11. Medical Items: Aspirin, a first-aid kit, all available antibiotics and disinfectants, special prescription medicines (if essential to a member of the family), potassium iodide (for protection against radioactive iodine, see Chapter 13), spare eyeglasses, and contact lenses.

Category 12. Miscellaneous: Two square yards of mosquito netting or insect screen with which to screen the shelter openings if insects are a problem, insect repellents, a favorite book or two.

B.SOME USEFUL ITEMS (To take if car space is available):

1. Additional tools.

2. A tent, a small camp stove, and some additional kitchen utensils.

This translates to me as:
1) Plan A & Plan B for evacuating and where to go.
2) Hand tools (includes mechanical as well as shovels, axes, saws, etc).
3) Camping Equipment.
4) Water and the means (tablets in BoB) to purify water.
5) Money, valuables, financial records (includes laptops).
6) Lighting.
7) Seasonal and non-seasonal clothing.
8) Sleeping gear (includes air mattresses, foam pads, sleeping bags and blankets, etc.).
9) Food (including anything special for individuals in my party) and the means in which to cook and clean (camp stoves, messkits, pot holders, utensils, etc).
10) All personal hygiene and sanitation needs (includes porta-potty, buckets, disposable diapers, chucks, wipes, etc).
11) Medical items include ALL prescription & non-prescription meds, special equipment (special needs), FAK's, etc.
12) Miscellaneous (includes ALL weapons and ammunitions, spare gasoline, generator, BoB's, etc). If time and space allows,
I'll grab the photo albums and some of the photos off of the walls (the really old family types).

Basically, all of these things are ready to go. DW gets the kid's (includes the dogs & cat) clothing and needs together with their BoB's; while I get the equipment loaded into the vehicles.

Yes, we have tailored checklists for Evacuating and No, I don't see a difference between evacuating and Bugging Out except for the amount of time we may be gone, if we are returning at all.
Posted by: benjammin

Re: 30 mins to leave your house...discussion - 10/25/07 11:00 AM

Geez Sam, we could be related...

I have much the same list now.

Skip the computer, grab the portable hard drive, which has copies of all the data files anyways. I might grab some of the irreplacable pics, like the original of Calamity Jane, and such. The rest is either stuff we can throw into our luggage, or already packed, or not necessary for bugout, even with 30 minutes to spare. In fact, that may be too much time, and I would likely overload trying to take just one more thing...
Posted by: Eugene

Re: 30 mins to leave your house...discussion - 10/25/07 11:33 AM

I saw the link to this list and while it looks good, IMHO some of the items are in the wrong order.

Re: 30 mins to leave your house...discussion - 10/25/07 11:38 AM

These external/portable hard drives are becoming a big problem, people are relying on them too much and they tend to be more fragile. The biggest problem I see would be plugging a drive with my whole line on it into someone elses Windows PC and getting it messed up from a virus/or OS problem.
Those can be used for backups but you really should have backups on a different type of media that the primary.
I'd much rather take my laptop so I don't have to worry about finding someplace that I can feel safe plugging my drive into. I know my laptop is going to be safe.

Re: 30 mins to leave your house...discussion - 10/25/07 11:43 AM

I'm starting to prioritize on what I really could and couldn't do without. I can't think of much that isn't replaceable other than my pictres and data on my laptop. I copy it to an external drive every so often, I need to put my server back together so I can get my automated rsync going again.
What else absolutly can't be replaced, even things like your social security card you can request replaceents.

Re: 30 mins to leave your house...discussion - 10/25/07 01:19 PM

Eugene

Not to get off topic but that reminds me of some of the news stories and pictures you see during or after a disaster, where the people are taking TV's, blenders, stereos etc. I mean if you have the extra time and space then I say go for it, like you I think I'll stick with the more important things.

Re: 30 mins to leave your house...discussion - 10/25/07 01:48 PM

Well, what I'm saying is the laptop has all my important data on its drive and if I take it rather than just the drive then I don't have to find a system to plug it in to, its ready to go.

Re: 30 mins to leave your house...discussion - 10/25/07 02:02 PM

My laptop is my office, it's not optional.
Posted by: Erik_B

Re: 30 mins to leave your house...discussion - 10/25/07 02:03 PM

with 30 minutes, we(myself, mother, brother and sister) could probably pack the whole house into a PODS container if we were putto it. Packing the essentials and personal valuables in that time would be nothing. Personally I'd stuff most of my clothing into a duffel, pack my laptop into my backpack-which already contains a change of clothes, travel size toiletry kit, and a novel-and grab the family photo albums if someone else hadn't already done it. Everything else could be replaced. We have lots of family in NC, so if major damage occured, we'd head there.
As others have said, half an hour is a long time to pack. I could probably pack the whole family's clothing, meds, important documents, and computers into the van by myself in half an hour.

The only problem I can think of would be the cats. We have six of them, so unless by some miracle they all happened to be in the same room at the same time, at least one would end up being left behind.

Re: 30 mins to leave your house...discussion - 10/25/07 02:22 PM

Thats basically what I'm getting at, taking my laptop is not about taking some material posessions, its about the data on it and me using it every day.

But with 30 minutes I sure could pack a lot. Each vehicle already has a GHB and toolkit, then we would just take the bob's, the fireproof safe, the small storage drawers in the bottom of our closet which has all our other inportant personal items, etc.

Re: 30 mins to leave your house...discussion - 10/25/07 02:31 PM

Folks with the mindset to be regulars on this site should be able to be packed and ready much quicker. My camping gear which would get me by in a bug-out is always ready to go, it was just extra stuff. . . This kind of evac is different though. Camping gear is useful because it gives a place to sleep. Laptop is a given, some of the pictures on the walls would go, that's quick. Most of the other stuff here is just stuff, replaced with a checkbook -- nothing to get upset about.

The point is that with just a little situational awareness, you can be packed way early and have much more than 30 minutes to prioritize and make those decisions without an immediate fire threat. I was mostly packed before the first evacuations started.

Re: 30 mins to leave your house...discussion - 10/25/07 03:12 PM

I don't even worry about pictures on the walls, I can re-print them.
Checkbook?, hopefully you don't still use one of those.
Posted by: MartinFocazio

Re: 30 mins to leave your house...discussion - 10/25/07 03:28 PM

Easy.

1. The Small Fire Box of the Really Important Papers & Some Cash
2. The already-ready, always full Water Containers (total of 15 Gallons)
3. The Three External Hard Drives & The Three Notebook Computers
4. The Backpack of Handy Stuff (Kitchen, some food, Sanitation, simple Tools, lights, chargers & batteries), stored under the basement steps.
5. The Backpack of Extra Clothing & A Tent (Stored Right next to the pack of Handy Stuff).
6. Some blankets
7. Some kids toys and books for all of us
8. 10 Gallons of Gasoline
9. Depending on where we were going, some small firearms & ammo.
10. A cooler with a few beers.

I can - and have - been able to load all of this in under 10 minutes.

Re: 30 mins to leave your house...discussion - 10/25/07 03:36 PM

WOW.....There are other prepared people besides myself here in Pennsylvania.
Posted by: DFW

Re: 30 mins to leave your house...discussion - 10/25/07 05:09 PM

Great discussion - great ideas.

The two greatest threats in my area are tornados and ice storms, so surviving the first and shelter-in-place for the second have been my focus. However, one of this country's chemical weapons repositories is 25 miles down the road, so I'd better rethink...

1) Most here put their computer very high on the must-save list, but my antiquated, hardly-any-memory, piece of garbage isn't worth saving and has no essentials stored on it. There's some time saved.

2) Rusty: do post your list there, if you have not already. Information is power.

3) What is the difference / advantage / disadvantage - of keeping important papers in a "Blast-inspired" notebook as opposed to the firebox some have mentioned?

4) Wildman: ever since I read the list you use, I have wondered how to store water in a pillowcase. ???

5) Samhain: I love (not like, LOVE) your lists. They are helping me prepare NOW, (one of the biggest lessons I have learned here - get it ready BEFORE it is needed) and in an emergency would help me stay focused and organized.
BTW - I lived in BRLA for many years. I think I would move bug spray up the priority list.

LBNL - Another valuable lesson learned here is to plan LAYERS of preparation: the stocked car/truck/camper is the giant BOB, then the self-carry-BOB if you have to ditch the car, then the "essentials" fanny or chest pack (LOVED that idea, BTW) and finally the PSK, or as I think of it, the micro-pocket pack.
No, Ducktapeguy, the kind of bugging out done in CA now is not the mass (i.e. nuclear disaster) kind, but in a "limited" emergency, roads closed or clogged by by flooding, fire, collapsed bridges or fallen trees, or grid-lock traffic may keep a vehicle from getting you out of harm's way. You may have to get out under your own power - hence the layers.

Re: 30 mins to leave your house...discussion - 10/25/07 05:31 PM

1) For me my 3.5lb is easier to carry than the whole file cabinet it replcaed. It holds years of Bank statements, photographs, etc. Its a time saver for me to not have to try and load up 100lbs of paper.

3) I made a notebook and keep it in my fireproof box. If your house were to catch fire or somehting while your at work then you may not be able to grab that notebook. I'm making my en electronic document that can be printed then add the originals like birth certificates and such. I'm planning on requesting copies of original docs and storing a second notebook in a firebox at another location.
Posted by: wildman800

Re: 30 mins to leave your house...discussion - 10/25/07 05:55 PM

I don't carry water in pillow cases, that refers to carrying bottles of water in pillow cases. I put my water bottles in boxes. I merely load the boxes of water and food into the back of my truck. I have 40mm ammo boxes with electric and electronic components that deal primarily with power supply/conversion and communications.

I am revamping my home emergency binder to be in-line with Blast's binder. The binder is a grab and go of emergency information which is also highly usable at home on a semi-regular basis.

The port-potty has an old "8 track tape box" (I know,,I just dated myself) in which I keep the appropriate TP and chemicals in. It's a grab-N-go.

My goal is to be able to be moving within 2 hrs of being notified or of my having made the decision to go (most likely). Usually I have made the decision to go very early and have waited to see if the need to go is going to be there or not, as in an approaching hurricane. I am already loaded and waiting to see which way the storm is going to jump. If it looks like it is coming close to my location, we load up the kids (includes the dogs & cat) and head out, ahead of the herd and by way of back roads.
Posted by: jdavidboyd

Re: 30 mins to leave your house...discussion - 10/25/07 06:56 PM

Originally Posted By: martinfocazio
Easy.
7. Some kids toys and books for all of us

When I first read this, my mind placed a comma after the word 'kids' and 'toys', as in

7. Some kids, toys, and books for all of us.

Did a quick double take, (wow, they're not taking all of them?) then read it correctly!

Posted by: ironraven

Re: 30 mins to leave your house...discussion - 10/26/07 03:36 AM

Three seconds... That implies I'm asleep, I'm usually more aware.

Grab glasses, grab EDC bag (both on nightstand). If the front door is blocked, the bag that my ditch kit is stored in goes through the window, so I have something to land on.

That assumes that I have three seconds after I wake up. If I've only got three seconds... yeah, I don't wake up that fast.
Posted by: big_al

Re: 30 mins to leave your house...discussion - 11/24/07 01:03 AM

Kc2ixe:

"The reason to grab a computer is the data that is on it - I'd grab my CPU chassis, and leave the rest behind - it's the ultimate set of backup disks -"

get a removeable hard drive, take Just the drive.

Re: 30 mins to leave your house...discussion - 11/24/07 02:59 AM

First off a minor pet peeve, the computer is not a CPU, it is a computer. Years ago the CPU was a big box and then memory was another box and storage another then you had a CPU chassis, but in any personal computer all those are in the one box and the CPU is a little chip on the main board. So the box is the computer not just the CPU. Sorry, too many years of working with computers.

Anyway, the important point. I personally would never plug a hard drive with any data of mine into someone else's computer as I have no way of knowing what kind of crap might be on that computer. I'll take my 3lb laptop and a 1lb power supply for it knowing I can plug it in and know my data is safe and isn't going to get wiped by a virus or spread to someone else by spyware or corrupted by the poorly written hotplug subsystem in MS Windows. Next time you are going to buy a new computer take portability into consideration and instead of buying that 8lb desktop replacement "laptop" spend a little more and buy a 4lb or less true portable laptop so you can bug out with it.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: 30 mins to leave your house...discussion - 11/24/07 03:54 AM

8lb desktop?! My Notebook weighs 11lbs! And that's without the power brick. It's the first thing I take out of my pack when I'm cutting weight. I typically carry a 4GB USB key with the important stuff encrypted...it's hard to go anywhere these days without finding a computer...but as Eugene said you take your chances doing that.

I have about 1GB of security apps on mine so I can scan for viruses and spyware before decrypting/extracting anything I may need. Even have a portable version of Firefox with a built in Onion Router client for somewhat secure internet communications.

Re: 30 mins to leave your house...discussion - 11/24/07 03:59 AM

I have portable Firefox on my flash drive, but where (and how) did you get the built in Onion Router for the portable Firefox?

I have the portable apps suite on my drive: Portable Apps Website

Re: 30 mins to leave your house...discussion - 11/24/07 04:39 AM

portableapps.com is great and most of the apps I have come from there...but that's not the only place to get portable apps.
Wikipedia has a very complete list of portable applications. There are a few portable flavors of TOR but the one I use is TORPark. I'm not sure if it's supported anymore but my copy still works for me. It's the only one I know of that's pre packaged with a browser and ready to go without building or compiling. The only drawback is that you can't use regular portable firefox and TORPark at the same time...the computer gets confused.

I've heard that there's an Opera based version (OperaTOR?) if that's more your cup of tea.

Re: 30 mins to leave your house...discussion - 11/24/07 06:47 PM

I couldn't even imagine an 11lb one, my work one is 6 and I think its too heavy.
now I do have a couple USB flash drives but they just don't hold a lot. When I started thinking about it most any document I have could be replaced even if for a fee. The irreplaceable stuff is my pictures since there wouldn't be anywhere else to get them from. Those now occupy 16G on my drive. Sure I copy those to another drive but one drop or bump of that and its gone. or plug it into someone else's Windows system and get them taken out by a virus.
Most of those cheap external drives have a 3.5l drive in them which isn't as robust as a laptop drive and they are usually cheap drives to begin with. I take my previous laptop drive when I put in a bigger one and put in an an USB enclosure so I know I have a decent drive in there but with my laptop being only 3.5lb its size and weight are not much more then a cheap pre assembled 3.5" USB drive.
Posted by: Onedzguy

Re: 30 mins to leave your house...discussion - 11/25/07 10:35 AM

Have you folks tried using an off-site file storage for your pictures and scanned documents? Along time ago I used www.xdrive.com instead of a USB flash drive.

Re: 30 mins to leave your house...discussion - 11/25/07 12:20 PM

The problem I see with those services is keeping them in sync and their guarentee against data loss. Plus my parents farm where I would bug out to you can't get over a 33k connection on the old phone lines which makes any online services useless.
Posted by: teacher

Re: 30 mins to leave your house...discussion - 11/25/07 06:47 PM

There's tons of free back-up sites...

Re: 30 mins to leave your house...discussion - 11/25/07 08:05 PM

And those make no gaurente that your data will still be there. I learned my lesson using free e-mail services years ago when I signed in one day to find my mailbox empty.

Re: 30 mins to leave your house...discussion - 11/25/07 08:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Eugene
And those make no gaurente that your data will still be there. I learned my lesson using free e-mail services years ago when I signed in one day to find my mailbox empty.

When it comes to any type of backups, there is no guarantee that your data will be intact. In all my years in the computer industry, I have seen RAID systems fail, backup servers fail, thumb drives, portable drives, CD's, DVD's, online services such as web mail, online backup services all fail at various times....all when people needed it the most

The key is redundancy, never trust your data to only one or two backup types / companies / locations.

Re: 30 mins to leave your house...discussion - 11/25/07 10:01 PM

The big difference though is then you have no one to blame but yourself when the local stuff fails. When your paying (either direct or through the ads or however the free sites are supported) you expect that service provider to fulfill their end of the deal. I know any hardware can fail so I know to keep multiple pieces of hardware. When someone else is providing a backup service then you would expect them to backup what they are doing.
There are other issues. The more hands touching your data the more chances of a breach. Someone can breach the backup service security and searches for bank and credit card statements easier than they can the cd's locked in your safe.
Another problem I found was limited space unless your willing to pay a lot so people will use more than one cheap or free service. I tried that, pictures on one, bank account info on another then when it filled up other documents on another, it was a big pain keeping track of which was for what and when I had last backed up each and taking the time to do the backups. of course thats the hardest part still, remembering what documents I put on what flash drive or when I last updated them. So I've started minimizing the number of places I put backups to make it easier to manage.

Re: 30 mins to leave your house...discussion - 11/25/07 10:37 PM

Put it on paper, make multiple copies, put them in different locations ( family, friends, bank safety deposit box's ) Make sure you carry one in your BOB and forget about it. If your going to go digital as in a flash drive buy a few and give them to family or friends to hold. Myself I use paper and flash drives. Just my opinion.
Posted by: TQS

Re: 30 mins to leave your house...discussion - 11/25/07 11:30 PM

WOW! That's some advice. I oughta' try that.

Re: 30 mins to leave your house...discussion - 11/25/07 11:35 PM

Sir you really need to grow up. But I doubt that possible considering your condition.

I hear there's no medication for stupidity, I'm sorry.
Posted by: TQS

Re: 30 mins to leave your house...discussion - 11/26/07 12:01 AM

Nope, none whatsoever. I guess with a little luck I'll be doomed to repeat history over and over again.

Re: 30 mins to leave your house...discussion - 11/26/07 12:23 AM

If I tried to put everything on paper then I'd need a bigger truck to haul it smile

Consider why you might need to leave your home in 30 minutes. Fire, Flood, etc your going to bug out to a hotel room for a week then come back and if your home was spared pick up where yu left off. You don't want to be buying a new computer to read those files for that week you will need your cash or credit for the hotel and food and clothing. But you may need a bank statement or something as proof that you have $ if your bank's atm network is down.
A longer term evacuation where maybe your home is destroyed you may need a lot more documents and pictures of posessions to show the insurance company. You may even need to find a new job if your employer is destroyed. Your going to end up driving around to an insurance agent or library to find a computer to plug that drive into.

Or you could have a "bug out laptop" and just connect to the hotel's wireless and get everything done from there. My laptop fits in a slip case which is 8.5x11x1.5" so its the same size as a paper binder. So if I have to leave the house its easy to grab and go. A spare power supply stays in my bob and I can slip its case down in the bob too in just a few seconds so it can go with me all in one package.

This makes my leave the house plan less than 5 minutes, get dressed, grab the bob, grab the laptop and go.

Re: 30 mins to leave your house...discussion - 11/26/07 01:22 AM

Well that would be one way to justify a new truck to the DW...LOL