Hello... First Post. Mil Spec Question

Posted by: Jesse_Gibson

Hello... First Post. Mil Spec Question - 10/24/07 02:26 AM

I have been searching back and forth, hither and thither for mil spec survival/camping gear, just like the military stuff best. I find pieces here and there at various Military surplus sites as well as other places. I was just curious, is there a sorta all inclusive seller on the web? Or perhaps you folks could shoot some of your favorites places?

Much obliged, in advance,
Jay Gibson
Posted by: climberslacker

Re: Hello... First Post. Mil Spec Question - 10/24/07 02:28 AM

these guys are really great

Dropzone

-Jace
Posted by: Rusty

Re: Hello... First Post. Mil Spec Question - 10/24/07 02:53 AM

Brigade Quartermasters (actiongear)

and maybe...

Cheaperthandirt

(Cheaperthandirt is more a shooting supply place but they do have alot of other neat stuff)

Just my $0.02
Posted by: MDinana

Re: Hello... First Post. Mil Spec Question - 10/24/07 08:58 AM

I like CTD too, but just FYI, some of their gear is of questionable quality. I've rarely had problems of their stuff, but some of the comments on their site may cause hesitation.
Posted by: simplesimon

Re: Hello... First Post. Mil Spec Question - 10/24/07 09:25 AM

US cavalry sell lots of issue gear. Some stuff they sell is junk, but if they say it's official issue it is. And they include reviews on their web site. Don't assume that it is better because it is military though. A lot is worse.
simon
Posted by: Frankie

Re: Hello... First Post. Mil Spec Question - 10/24/07 09:54 AM

I ordered classic woolly pullies from Brigade Quartermasters, fast delivery and no extra fees (I'm from Canada), they wrote "machine parts, other" on the package so I guess that helped... I ordered genuine paracord from Countycomm but then again, maybe the manufacturer is Rothco which makes a lot of replicas. I wonder if they still actually use this paracord for its original purpose.

I think it's hard to get "genuine" military issued items without them being worn out, especially if they date a couple of years. You can get old new stock sometimes. I can live with decent quality replicas if I think the design is good and the material is good. In the military they also get a lot of civilian equipment too.

Frankie
Posted by: Blast

Re: Hello... First Post. Mil Spec Question - 10/24/07 12:05 PM

Welcome to the fire, Jesse! I have to second the Brigadre Quartermaster for high quality stuff. "Cheaper Than Dirt" is okay for low-impact use. Their stuff is a cheap Chinese knockoffs and may find little glitches in their stuff.

-Blast
Posted by: Shadow_oo00

Re: Hello... First Post. Mil Spec Question - 10/24/07 12:55 PM

I only buy Camelbak,Blackhawk and Maxpedition

The suppliers I buy from are either

1.Brigade Quartermaster
2.Ebay ( I have received some good deals, you just have to be careful, look at the selling price and the shipping charges, sometimes the total is higher than buying from a catalog but other times its a lot less expensive)

If your looking for military left overs this place is pretty cheap.

http://stores.ebay.com/A-Z-Army-Navy-Military-Surplus_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZQ2d999QQftidZ2QQtZkm
Posted by: Polak187

Re: Hello... First Post. Mil Spec Question - 10/24/07 01:33 PM

Mil Spec is not always the best especially if it comes from weird dealers since most likely it is a chinese knockoff/low quality items. I don't know if by mil spec you mean new stuff or surplus stuff. Real military specs stuff is always expensive but well worth it. Companies like Arcteryx or Eureka make military equipment that is available in limited quantities to civilian personel (or thru surplus dealers) but it is crazy expensive since they count on gov't contracts.

Few sites and some of them are mentioned already:
www.actiongear.com
www.lapolicegear.com
www.uscalvary.com
www.tadgear.com
www.countycomm.com

Ebay is always good but used survival equipment always needs to be rechecked and depending on use even reconditioned. Example: bought a tent and saved $100 but spend $50 on resealing and taping it.

I used to be a surplus guy until I discovered that climbers and hikers have better equipment than military and at lower prices.
Posted by: Dragonscript

Re: Hello... First Post. Mil Spec Question - 10/24/07 01:51 PM

One thing you have to remember about the military is that they have very specific needs, which might not be yours, and it is always technologly behind the latest civilian gear. The reason for this is because it usally takes several years for something to get approved and issued out.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Hello... First Post. Mil Spec Question - 10/24/07 02:49 PM

Welcome Newguy!!!

"...I used to be a surplus guy until I discovered that climbers and hikers have better equipment than military and at lower prices..."

That pretty much says it all. Military gear is meant to be tough (ie heavy), yet readily replacable (something breaks, you go to supply and get a new issue). Most of it is also designed to be "one size fits all (or none)," in many cases, backpacks for example, you can get a much better fitting pack from a civilian outdoors store...
Posted by: Rusty

Re: Hello... First Post. Mil Spec Question - 10/24/07 03:40 PM

It may be as cheap as dirt, but after it breaks it is as useful as dirt. wink
Posted by: Lono

Re: Hello... First Post. Mil Spec Question - 10/24/07 04:25 PM

One outfit I've had good luck with is Amron Intl, I see they have the Kelty MAP 3500 3-day pack on sale for $99 with free shipping (boa green color). The MAP is the COTs version of whatever it is they build (or built) to mil-spec. I used that pack as my everyday dayhike pack this summer and it is legitimately comfortable, roomy and bombproof. A good deal at $148, a steal at $99.

http://www.amronintl.com/diving/products.cfm?id=631
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: Hello... First Post. Mil Spec Question - 10/24/07 05:26 PM

Hi Jesse_Gibson,

I really can't think of anything, that is so called milspec issued to American or British Armed service units as standard kit for survival/camping gear which out performs its civilian counterpart except maybe a wooley pulley. (Quick think wink ) Nope not even a wooley pulley, that is unless you happen to need a specific requirement such as carrying mortar bombs, grenades and lots and lots of ammunition or specific NBC requirements.

Even the very best kit issued to elite SF units will be most likely be a civilian product just made in Camo or OD.

Re: Hello... First Post. Mil Spec Question - 10/25/07 02:01 AM

Thanks for the responses, both relevant and irrelevant.

The ebay link was one of which I wasn't aware, as I had no account there, but I do now...

I look forward to reading and occasionally posting.

Carry on... wink
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Hello... First Post. Mil Spec Question - 10/25/07 02:57 AM

Also, the cutting edge is more expensive than what the rest of us were using five to twenty years ago. Some of it is good gear, a lot of it is ok, but some of it is just bad, to.If you really and truely must look like an old supply depot that got hit by a tornado, http://militarylogisticsmfg.com

Keep in mind, that with the rapid fielding and unit funded purchases, you are getting a lot of cutting edge gear that is now made in "military" colors. But it isn't surplus, it is COTS items.

Re: Hello... First Post. Mil Spec Question - 10/25/07 06:17 AM

Originally Posted By: ironraven
Also, the cutting edge is more expensive than what the rest of us were using five to twenty years ago. Some of it is good gear, a lot of it is ok, but some of it is just bad, to.If you really and truely must look like an old supply depot that got hit by a tornado, http://militarylogisticsmfg.com

Keep in mind, that with the rapid fielding and unit funded purchases, you are getting a lot of cutting edge gear that is now made in "military" colors. But it isn't surplus, it is COTS items.

Sure thing...

Yeah, I 'T-R-U-L-Y' must look like that. Hell, I even want to be able to spell while wearing that stuff... wink

Joking aside, I appreciate the links and I have found what I was searching for. Some good guys here; I'm going to like this place.
Posted by: hiker1

Re: Hello... First Post. Mil Spec Question - 10/27/07 12:31 AM

I owned two MilSpec backpacks. One had a poor internal frame and neither of them felt very comfortable. They were durable, and a lot cheaper than the Arc'teryx backpacks I replaced them with. If MilSpec works for you, that's great..but the two I had were a backache.