came across a hapless hiker

Posted by: Glock-A-Roo

came across a hapless hiker - 10/23/07 12:57 PM

This past weekend my wife and I were backpacking in the Shining Rock wilderness area in North Carolina. Many years ago we pounded the ground there a lot but hadn't been back in a long time. We quite accidentally wound up going there on a weekend of perfect weather sandwiched between 2 rainy weeks. The fall colors were amazing and some of the leaves looked like they were on fire.

Anywho, we stopped for a bit at Ivestor Gap and soon another hiking couple walked up from another trail. The two were "discussing" the right way to go and it was clear that neither had any previous experience in the area. They were dayhikers and were not planning to spend the night out.

They asked us for some info so I pulled out my 1:44,500 topo trail map, explained to them where they were and what their options were for the way back. At this point the man said "well, I guess I should have brought a map...". His ladyfriend made it clear that she agreed. It was late in the afternoon and while they could have backtracked the way they came (if they had lights), I showed them an alternate that avoided the mountainous terrain that backtracking would involve.

He seemed to be learning a lesson so to help him avoid losing too much face I decided not to mention my 1:24,000 custom UTM map from MyTopo, Garmin Vista HCx and Suunto compass. He might have noticed the Brunton backup compass on my watchband, though... well probably not.
Posted by: KenK

Re: came across a hapless hiker - 10/23/07 01:03 PM

It is so easy to not be prepared, plus it cost considerably less ... in the short run.

I'm glad you were there to help them ... and to educate them a little bit.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: came across a hapless hiker - 10/23/07 06:11 PM

I suspect that you could have given them your topo and a compass, and they would have been just as lost...
Posted by: hiker1

Re: came across a hapless hiker - 10/27/07 12:36 AM

Agreed...OBG. A lot of people are clueless about how to use a map and compass. I wonder if they had enough supplies to last a couple of days if they had got themselves hopelessly lost.
Posted by: Hikin_Jim

Re: came across a hapless hiker - 11/01/07 03:25 PM

Unfortunately, I meet a lot of folks out there w/o a clue as well. A friend of mine and I were recently hiking in Devil's Canyon (San Gabriel Wilderness) which is a pretty tough hike, and it's an "upside down" hike, meaning that you descend first (into deep Devil's Canyon), and then have to climb on the way out after you're tired. Anyway, we found two perfectly good mountain bikes sitting alone way out in the middle of no where. We had come down canyon and had gone down as far as a large water fall that blocks further progress downstream -- unless you're prepared for class 5 climbing. We knew we were alone. Thinking this to be odd, I called a friend of mine who is on a SAR team. He said that two mountain bikers were missing in the area.

The good news is that SAR picked up the two guys, and they were OK. Apparently, they had become overwhelmed with the grueling nature of the route. Lower Devil's Canyon is brush choked, boulder (large) strewn wash that necessitates a lot of climbing and bush whacking. (why anyone would carry a bike down that is beyond me) They abandoned their bikes, but on their return trip, they missed the point where the trail climbs out of the canyon (easy to do in heavy brush) and went deeper into the wilderness. Oh, and yes they were just wearing T shirts and bike shorts (the lows were down in the high 30's/low 40's but the days were in the high 70's). There are too many people who read the various "pasttime" magazines which pump up a particular sport but rarely if ever discuss the truly serious nature of accidents, getting lost, etc. in the wild. It's all really upbeat pablum.
Posted by: Be_Prepared

Re: came across a hapless hiker - 11/02/07 09:29 PM

More than once over the past few years I have had "tag-a-longs" following our group down off a mountain trying to safely get back below tree line.

It happened once last spring in NH, Mt Adams if I recall, but, I'm not positive, we did that whole ridgeline. The people were so happy to see us coming down from a summit one afternoon, I thought they were going to hug us. They were disoriented, clueless, out for a "fun day in the mountains". When the clouds rolled in we were above them, and visibility really dropped. You could barely make out the next cairn on the trail if you were really looking. I don't think they even really understood how trails worked above treeline. Anyway, they didn't care where we were going, they just wanted to get below the clouds so they could see again.

I probably don't need to mention that they were underequipped, both in terms of actual "equipment", and in terms of training/experience...here's an example:
We had a couple instances where we had a guy head out to the next cairn on length of paracord, just because the visbility was so bad... well, our "tag-a-long" couple were horrified, because they somehow envisioned my buddy rappelling down the mountain on the 550 cord! (We got a pretty big laugh out of that one, could have really spooked them if we weren't so nice...)

Eventually we got them to an AMC hut (Madison Springs hut between Mt Adams and Mt Madision), and they went in for some cocoa and a sanity break. We kept going on our traverse, and for all I know, they stayed the night at the hut. Afterwards, we looked at it as having saved some poor SAR team from having to go find them later that night when they didn't come home.
Posted by: raydarkhorse

Re: came across a hapless hiker - 11/03/07 03:07 AM

Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
Unfortunately, I meet a lot of folks out there w/o a clue as well. A friend of mine and I were recently hiking in Devil's Canyon (San Gabriel Wilderness) which is a pretty tough hike, and it's an "upside down" hike, meaning that you descend first (into deep Devil's Canyon), and then have to climb on the way out after you're tired. Anyway, we found two perfectly good mountain bikes sitting alone way out in the middle of no where. We had come down canyon and had gone down as far as a large water fall that blocks further progress downstream -- unless you're prepared for class 5 climbing. We knew we were alone. Thinking this to be odd, I called a friend of mine who is on a SAR team. He said that two mountain bikers were missing in the area.

The good news is that SAR picked up the two guys, and they were OK. Apparently, they had become overwhelmed with the grueling nature of the route. Lower Devil's Canyon is brush choked, boulder (large) strewn wash that necessitates a lot of climbing and bush whacking. (why anyone would carry a bike down that is beyond me) They abandoned their bikes, but on their return trip, they missed the point where the trail climbs out of the canyon (easy to do in heavy brush) and went deeper into the wilderness. Oh, and yes they were just wearing T shirts and bike shorts (the lows were down in the high 30's/low 40's but the days were in the high 70's). There are too many people who read the various "pasttime" magazines which pump up a particular sport but rarely if ever discuss the truly serious nature of accidents, getting lost, etc. in the wild. It's all really upbeat pablum.

I wonder if they were Avid readers of publications like Backpacker magazine?
Posted by: ironraven

Re: came across a hapless hiker - 11/03/07 04:45 AM

Wow, I missed this when you first posted it.

Hopefully, they've learned something. Other than to look for you in a cape and tights.

Re: came across a hapless hiker - 11/03/07 09:10 PM

Originally Posted By: raydarkhorse
I wonder if they were Avid readers of publications like Backpacker magazine?

Well, they were carrying razor blades... grin
Posted by: DougM

Re: came across a hapless hiker - 11/03/07 09:36 PM

Cheer up, I once heard of a couple who apparently stepped off a trail (dirt road) for a "true wilderness experience" and couldn't find the "trail" again " no fog, on a slope (couldn't even tell which way was uphill, I suppose).
Posted by: CJK

Re: came across a hapless hiker - 11/04/07 03:07 PM

It's a shame that ETS isn't REQUIRED STUDYING before these people take to the outdoors......then again who am I kidding....even if they read these posts, it would still mean that they would have to be able to learn from someone else's mistakes.....seems to me that they need to experience (themselves) something MASSIVELY traumatic to gain even a modicum of an idea....
Posted by: bws48

Re: came across a hapless hiker - 11/04/07 04:31 PM

IMO, it is more basic. Who is in control of your and your family's safety? You or someone else? I feel, and think everyone on this forum feels: "I am." Yet, I have met many people who think it is someone else. . .don't understand it, but there it is.

Re: came across a hapless hiker - 11/05/07 05:17 PM

There are a lot of clueless people in the world; God bless 'em. A lot of people in urban environments are so used to 24x7 convenience stores, continuous cell phone access, etc. What's the point in planning or being prepared? Just get it as you need it; there's continuous availability. I doubt it's conscious. It's the way it's always been; this is the nature of things.

It just doesn't occur them that suddenly the nature of things has changed. You can't just duck into the nearest building if a shower hits or you're cold. There is no fire department that you can call and have be there in under 10 minutes. It's now all up to you. I actually have a bit of grace for folks like this who just don't know any better while still shaking my head and saying to myself, "what were they thinking?"

Of course, I indict myself as well, city dweller that I am. I went on vacation in Utah last Memorial Day. I didn't bring all that much in the way of everyday food (emergency stuff, yes, but not the everyday stuff). Every town has a grocery store, right? Um, no. Maybe in Los Angeles, County, California, but in the hinterlands of Utah, it ain't necessarily so. A bit of a culture shock to be told that the little convenience type store in town was it and that the nearest grocery store was about an hour and a half drive away. Ah, life. smile Well, if you can't laugh at yourself once in a while, life can become a pretty grim business. Live and learn. I'm just glad that I lived long enough to get on this forum.