Advice please, on a survival knife

Posted by: Erro

Advice please, on a survival knife - 10/19/07 03:14 PM

Thanks in advance for advice and help with this...

I just purchased a Gerber Big Rock knife from REI. http://www.rei.com/product/752020

4.5 inch partially serrated drop point surgical stainless blade. Full tang glass filled nylon handle.

Used it camping twice now. Seems VERY durable. (Blade thickness is over 1/8") Seems to hold its edge well.

My question is this: Do I need to spend over $100 for a "higher quality" knife such as a Becker, Benchmade, SOG, or similar listed on this site? I want a solid, fixed blade, dependable knife for use while hiking, camping, and (if need be) survival.

The Gerber was $39. Are other, more expensive knives a better value?

Thanks!

Posted by: billym

Re: Advice please, on a survival knife - 10/19/07 03:21 PM

Erro welcome to ETS!
The Gerber is fine. Some here would prefer a knife with no serrations but for the money it is probably a good choice.
A lot of us here are knife-addicts myself included. Spending more money is just a personal choice. Many folks get buy with inexpensive Mora knives so why would your new Gerber fail you?
Enjoy.
Make sure you get a sharpener and keep it sharpened.
Bill
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Advice please, on a survival knife - 10/19/07 03:23 PM

Welcome Newguy!!!

"... Are other, more expensive knives a better value?..."

Probably not. Gerber has been making knives for quite a few years, if their products were junk they would have gone under long ago. There are some really high dollar blades that might be a little tougher, but then there are probably some that cost more and are worth less. If you are happy with it, you got a deal.

Posted by: Blast

Re: Advice please, on a survival knife - 10/19/07 03:34 PM

Erro,

Welcome to the fire, newguy!

Along with knives Gerber also makes very high-dollar industrial cutting equipment like computer-controlled machines that cut out intricate shapes from assorted materials. They know what they are doing when they make a blade. You'll be fine with your knife and spending more, in my opinion, is not worth it.

The main thing you need to do now is master sharpening your knife.

-Blast

Posted by: norad45

Re: Advice please, on a survival knife - 10/19/07 04:05 PM

Quote:
The Gerber was $39. Are other, more expensive knives a better value?

Value can be hard to quantify. I am of the opinion that you should always buy the best you can afford. I bought my current knife, a Becker BK10, for $45. At the time that was the most I could spend. I've used it a lot and have been very happy with it. I am currently waiting for a Randall 25 6". When I get it in June of '09 I will shell out about $385. Is it going to be able to do anything the Becker can't? I doubt it. But I want one anyway. If, as you say, your Gerber has performed well for you then my advice is to use it and be happy.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Advice please, on a survival knife - 10/19/07 04:14 PM

I have the Big Rock (I paid $29 new) and I like it a lot. It's a very capable knife for the price. I don't use it as often because of the serrations but it still has purpose in my collection.
Posted by: Hookpunch

Re: Advice please, on a survival knife - 10/19/07 04:16 PM

That is probably fine for your needs. I am not fond of serrations or combo blades myself.

You should check out Doug Ritter's comments on choosing a survival knife before you make another purchase though.
Posted by: KG2V

Re: Advice please, on a survival knife - 10/19/07 04:42 PM

If you like it, and it works for you - your fine (from a guy who has way way too many knives, some high end customs)
Posted by: benjammin

Re: Advice please, on a survival knife - 10/19/07 04:49 PM

Big Ditto!!!
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Advice please, on a survival knife - 10/19/07 04:53 PM

Gerbers are generally very strong, durable knives.

Whether they cut as well as others is a matter of debate. It depends on the steel and the grind.

I find the low-end Gerber steel doesn't take the kind of edge I want. But maybe I'm fussy. I find this steel responds to a medium diamond much better than anything else. I also find that there's a very hard "skin" on these blades; over time, as you sharpen past that, it will take a much more satisfying edge.

Higher-end Gerber knives seem to sharpen just fine. I have a couple of folders that I like a lot.

Anyway, I don't see a reason why this knife wouldn't serve you well. Just be aware that there are some absolutely amazing blades out there, should the day come when you are looking to upgrade.
Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: Advice please, on a survival knife - 10/19/07 05:07 PM

For $39 you just saved a bunch of money without switching to GEICO to spend on other stuff, er kit; really mundane and unromantic items like sleeping bags and a box of matches. Stuff, er kit that may very well mean the difference in a survival situation the fanciest knife cannot influence. Surgical Steel is an old advertising ploy. There is no such animal.Medical instruments are made of various finely grained stainless steels. The finer the grain, obviously less nooks and crannies for pathogens to take up residence and make evicting more difficult in an autoclave unit.This translates to what the mills have that works and costs the least.It's one of the 440 series of steels, AKA in Europe as ROSTFREI with it's own advertising schtick of metallurgy Sigfried would want for killing a dragon and bathing in it's blood.It's not the best for initial sharpening until you cut through the factory edge and get it set up. If you don't know how, get some help. And for another shameless plug for a trusted dealer, buy some inexpensive Moras from www.ragweedforge.com to practise on first.
Posted by: philip

Re: Advice please, on a survival knife - 10/19/07 05:32 PM

I am certainly no expert, but I've bought and used knives for decades. My opinion is that I get the best value for my dollar with Gerber knives. There are more expensive better ones, but I have bought more Gerber knives than any other brand because I find that value/dollar ratio hasn't been beat when I've sprung for more expensive better knives and certainly not for cheaper knives.

Take care of it and keep it sharp; it will serve you for years or till you lust after something else, whichever first occurs.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Advice please, on a survival knife - 10/19/07 07:31 PM

"...I am currently waiting for a Randall 25 6"..."

Great choice. I would love to have a Randall 25, but my choice would be the 5" (just looks better to my eye). I have a Model 5 5", and a Model 8 4". I would almost be willing to trade both of them for one Trapper. Calm down guys, I said almost...
Posted by: KenK

Re: Advice please, on a survival knife - 10/19/07 09:02 PM

The Gerber Big Rock knife will NOT work as a survival knife ...

... unless you have it with you when you need it.
Enjoy your knife!

Welcome to the forum!

You don't need expensive items for a decent kit. Doug's Personal Survival Pak is a great example. For just $25 you'll find yourself the proud owner of some really high quality gear.

Have fun gathering your gear. Read lots. The folks on this forum bring an incredible wealth of information and talent.

Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Advice please, on a survival knife - 10/19/07 09:19 PM

Yep, that fits my philosophy. Learn to use what you carry, and always carry something worth using.
Posted by: raydarkhorse

Re: Advice please, on a survival knife - 10/19/07 10:42 PM

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
Welcome Newguy!!!

Probably not. Gerber has been making knives for quite a few years, if their products were junk they would have gone under long ago. There are some really high dollar blades that might be a little tougher, but then there are probably some that cost more and are worth less. If you are happy with it, you got a deal.

It used to be that Gerber was made in the USA but becareful now there are gerbers out ther made in Taiwan, and China amd they are inferior to the USA made knives.
Posted by: Doug_Ritter

Re: Advice please, on a survival knife - 10/19/07 10:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Blast
Along with knives Gerber also makes very high-dollar industrial cutting equipment like computer-controlled machines that cut out intricate shapes from assorted materials.

FYI. that Gerber (Gerber Scientific) is a totally different company, no connection whatsoever with the knife company named Gerber Legendary Blades.
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Advice please, on a survival knife - 10/20/07 01:16 AM

Welcome new guy.

Originally Posted By: Erro
Are other, more expensive knives a better value?

The good ones, yes. The key question is are they enough better for what you paid for them, based on your needs. None of the knives currently in my collection would cost over a hundred dollars to replace, and only a few would be more than fifty dollars.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Advice please, on a survival knife - 10/20/07 02:15 AM

Originally Posted By: raydarkhorse
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
Welcome Newguy!!!

It used to be that Gerber was made in the USA but becareful now there are gerbers out ther made in Taiwan, and China amd they are inferior to the USA made knives.

Same goes for Benchmade. Their bottom of the line blades are made in China...my ERT-1 was made in China.
Posted by: Blast

Re: Advice please, on a survival knife - 10/20/07 02:39 AM

Oops, I stand corrected.

-Blast
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Advice please, on a survival knife - 10/20/07 03:30 AM

And neither is related to the baby food people. :P
Posted by: Stretch

Re: Advice please, on a survival knife - 10/20/07 01:39 PM

As most everyone said, if it works for you, then it does. Gerber, Kershaw, Benchmade, SOG, Spyderco, etc., quality varies, but in the end it's just personal choice.
Posted by: ohiohiker

Re: Advice please, on a survival knife - 10/21/07 12:55 AM

Originally Posted By: ironraven
And neither is related to the baby food people. :P

*removes jars of Gerber baby food from BOB in quiet disappointment* crazy
Posted by: Erro

Re: Advice please, on a survival knife - 10/22/07 05:38 PM

Wow - thanks very much for the responses and advice! Very glad I found this forum.