School preparedness.

Posted by: climberslacker

School preparedness. - 09/28/07 02:37 PM

I have a slight problem with being always prepared. I am a boy scout and in middle school and can't have a knife or anything considered as a weapon at school. But I live in So-Cal and near the San Andreas Fault line and was wondering if anyone had tips on what I could have/put together to be safe. (My school does have "water blox) in most classrooms but I don't know what more.) I also live more than 20 miles away from my school so I would probably not be able to get home if the freeways get messed up.

Jace
Posted by: Grant

Re: School preparedness. - 09/28/07 03:04 PM

I have to assume that in the event of an emergency the school will keep the students together to shelter in place until arrangements can be made for pick up by parents or transfer to another reception center. I can't imagine the school just releasing everyone to make it on their own. You or your parents should ask the school administration about shelter and evacuation plans. Does the school have a plan? What is it? Does the school have food, water, sanitation, etc. for students if everyone has to shelter in place?

You should talk with your family about a plan for what everyone should do in the event of an emergency that catches everyone away from home.

As for personal preparation I would suggest keeping a small bag in your locker. My locker (a lifetime ago!) was small and stuffed with my other junk, but you should find room for a small bag. In that bag I would put:

flashlight with extra batteries
roadmap of the city/county
N95 particle mask
small first aid kit
water--as much as you can fit
food--bag of trail mix, energy bars
cash & coins

On your keychain I would carry a small keychain light such as the Photon II.

Your smart to be thinking of this. I hope your school administrators are as smart.
Posted by: norad45

Re: School preparedness. - 09/28/07 03:48 PM

You might look into one of the blade-free multitools, like the Knifeless Fuse from Leatherman. I can't imagine a school administrator objecting to one of those. Very handy thing to have, even without a blade.
Posted by: JIM

Re: School preparedness. - 09/28/07 03:53 PM

I know what you mean. I live about 35 miles from my school, travel by train, the area is below the waterline and there's a nuclear plant near the area...go figure! frown

Anyhow, I have put a small tin into my school-backpack (no locker unfortunately) with:

2 Energy-bars
1 small candle
1 box of wind/waterproof matches
aprox. €100,- cash
1 small flashlight
4AA batteries
1 pair of earplugs
2 lightsticks
1 small map of the area

Other stuff I've got in the school-backpack:

- 2 water bottle that I drink during the day
- small crowbar
- 2 n95 masks
- pair of work-gloves
- 5m. paracord
- CPR-kit
- survival-bag (also handy for protecting your backpack in the rain

This is carried in addition to my EDC:

-Keychain (Leatherman Squirt, folding scissors, tweezers, photon II)
- Fenix L1D-CE flashlight + extra batterie
- 2 hankerchiffs
- Benchmade Griptillian (not at school)
- Leatherman wave on belt with fire-steel (not at school)

Jacket:

- PSP
- FAK
- CPR-kit
- BIC-lighter
- Wallet with €50,- emergency cash, ID, BCB survival-tool and pocket-sharpener
- Cell-phone
- Space-blanket
- 2 pairs of nitrile gloves
- EMT-sheers
- triangulair bandage with quick-dressing no1

Seems like a lot... it is...untill you need it.. wink

Posted by: AROTC

Re: School preparedness. - 09/28/07 03:59 PM

A knife may not be allowed, but it also isn't necessarily the best tool for the situation either. I'd be willing to bet basic tools are still availible to you: a flashlight, EMT shears, a small screwdriver set (the type with a plastic handle with multiple bits stored in side), a pair of pliers and a flashlight.

In addition, I'd carry a small first aid kit. I generally carry a few bandaids, but mostly a roll of first aid tape, some large gauze pads and a triangle bandage. A small kit, but one geared towards more severe injures.

In the event you're trapped in a collapsed building a whistle is your best bet for signalling rescuers. Any of the high quality pealess whistles is a good choice, just check out the ETS homepage.

Finally, consider the possiblity that you may be spending the night at the school in the event of a major disaster. What do you need to be comfortable (or atleast not very uncomfortable) over night?

Good question.
Posted by: philip

Re: School preparedness. - 09/28/07 03:59 PM

There really should be a plan not only at the school but also between your parents and you. Are they involved in your preparation considerations? They should be. Ask them to talk to the principal and ask about the school's disaster plans.

Most schools in my area plan on keeping the kids at school after an earthquake. Schools are fairly well set up for this, by the way - restrooms, cafeterias, and maybe a gym for everyone to gather in.

If a quake happens while you're at school, your parents need to have a plan on how to get in touch with you (don't count on phones; maybe FRS in short range?) and where to meet you (if the school will allow you off campus).

By the way, see
http://www.cityofsanmateo.org/dept/oes/firstaid/index.html
their list of supplies for the home and for children.

Take a look at these links concerning go bags:
http://www.city.vancouver.bc.ca/corpsvcs/emerg/ess/grabngo.htm
http://www.coquitlam.ca/Residents/Public...+Checklist+.htm
http://www.chilliwack.com/main/attachments/files/346/Emergency_Grab_and_Go_Bag.pdf
http://lifehacker.com/software/screenshot-tour/show-us-your-go-bag-part-2-292427.php

Some of these links tell about what to have at the office or work place - this is your school, so use that information. I also suggest a deck of cards or some other game to while away the time, earplugs, a towel (read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy), and a nice, long book (maybe the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series).

I' say, though, that the most important thing is to have your parents and you understand what the school's plan is and to have a plan for getting to you after the big one.

Re: School preparedness. - 09/28/07 04:13 PM

One thing That i now that i will not need is a compass because I go to school/ live on the ocean and can tell the directions by that. But do you really bring a pry bar to school. I also have a school uniform which limits my ability to carry things. I currently have an altoids tin with

$1.50 in quarters affixed on top with 4 ranger rubberbands
Para cord wrapped around the top.

2 breathrite strips ( I sometimes have sinus troubles)
1 gauze pad
1 can opener
1 razer blade
1 antiseptic wipe
2 advil
1 pencil wrapped in floss
1 needle
2 band aids
2 pieces of paper
4 safety pins

also in my backpack is a cpr mask

I also edc 50 feet of paracord on my belt

I always have a deck of cards in my backpack and a whole school library of books.

jace

Re: School preparedness. - 09/28/07 04:19 PM

Originally Posted By: JIM
I know what you mean. I live about 35 miles from my school, travel by train, the area is below the waterline and there's a nuclear plant near the area...go figure! frown

Anyhow, I have put a small tin into my school-backpack (no locker unfortunately) with:

2 Energy-bars
1 small candle
1 box of wind/waterproof matches
aprox. €100,- cash
1 small flashlight
4AA batteries
1 pair of earplugs
2 lightsticks
1 small map of the area

Other stuff I've got in the school-backpack:

- 2 water bottle that I drink during the day
- small crowbar
- 2 n95 masks
- pair of work-gloves
- 5m. paracord
- CPR-kit
- survival-bag (also handy for protecting your backpack in the rain

This is carried in addition to my EDC:

-Keychain (Leatherman Squirt, folding scissors, tweezers, photon II)
- Fenix L1D-CE flashlight + extra batterie
- 2 hankerchiffs
- Benchmade Griptillian (not at school)

Jacket:

- PSP
- FAK
- CPR-kit
- Wallet with €50,- emergency cash, ID, BCB survival-tool and pocket-sharpener
- Cell-phone
- Space-blanket
- 2 pairs of nitrile gloves
- EMT-sheers
- triangulair bandage with quick-dressing no1

Seems like a lot... it is...untill you need it.. wink

what grade are you in?
Posted by: Arney

Re: School preparedness. - 09/28/07 04:27 PM

Originally Posted By: AROTC
I'd be willing to bet basic tools are still availible to you: a flashlight, EMT shears, a small screwdriver set (the type with a plastic handle with multiple bits stored in side), a pair of pliers and a flashlight.

Be careful. Tools like EMT shears or pliers carried in a teenager's book bag are unusual and can be misconstrued. E.g. pliers are used to try and remove the anti-shoplifting tabs from merchandice. EMT shears are used to cut open the clear plastic packaging around things like video games so they are more compact and easier to hide.

It's possible that in the wrong circumstance, these tools could be considered "burglary tools" which could be a huge headache and possbily lead to arrest, just for possessing these tools in the wrong situation. Hang out with your friends at the mall after school, one of your friends is dumb enough to shoplift and get caught, you all get taken to a back room, they find these tools in your backpack...and that's a bad situation to be in. Even having tools in your locker would be unusual, in my opinion, although less likely to cause problems than having them on you. Hope your school doesn't have metal detectors if you decide to keep some tools!

I agree with the other posters that for someone in middle school, the first priority is to find out how you fit into your parents' and your school's preparedness plans first, then see where you might improve things or fill in some gaps. An example of a gap might an earthquake that hits while you're going to and from school, where you aren't under your parents' or school's supervision, so that might be one area to think hard about what you're going to do and what you might need.

Good for you for thinking about these things, though. smile
Posted by: MDinana

Re: School preparedness. - 09/28/07 05:17 PM

Hi Jace
I grew up in SoCal too, and my mom has been a high school teacher going on 25 years.

First, your school is REQUIRED BY LAW to keep you in an emergency until one of your emergency contacts can pick you up. Chances are you'll either be in the classroom, or in the event of a big quake, the gym or on the fields. To me, that means there's no point in carrying cash since you won't be spending it.

Maybe a heatsheet in case you're stuck outside at night. A chemlight or two in case it's dark or a small flashlight. A few power bars, a water bottle are both OK. And to be honest with you, when I was in jr. high, I carried a small swiss army knife Classic (the real basic $10 one) and never got bothered. It's small enough to pretty much disappear anywhere you want to put it. And if you do get caught, and sent to the principal, playing the "I'm a Boy Scout, here's my whittling chip" card will most likely get you out of any trouble. I'd skip most other stuff, since honestly, the school is also required to care for you! If your school lets you have a cell phone, carry it, but leave it off! (My mom's personal pet peeve)

As for Jim, I think he's in college, since I just sent him college level stuff. Most of what he's talking about you can't carry (a crowbar?). If you've got your first aid or safety merit badge, and you feel OK doing first aid, go right ahead and carry a small kit. The teachers might not let you actually do any though. In a disaster, CPR isn't done, so I wouldn't stress it.

PM me if you want to discuss it more. (Former Eagle Scout too)
Posted by: TomApple

Re: School preparedness. - 09/28/07 05:36 PM

Originally Posted By: climberslacker

1 can opener
1 razer blade
2 advil

I take it that since you mention a school uniform that you might go to a private school. If that's the case then some of the above items might not be a problem. But if you go to a public (government) school, then those items could cause you some problems.

You may consider having the school administration review/approve the more risky items in your survival kit so you don't get a school suspension or get expelled. frown

Unfortunately so many of the "zero tolerance/intelligence" rules and laws used by schools these days will punish you for your preparedness. There are too many stories of kids getting kicked out for having fingernail clippers, butter knives, and medicine.

However, Bravo to you for being so foresighted.

Regards,

Tom A.
Posted by: philip

Re: School preparedness. - 09/28/07 06:03 PM

> what grade are you in?

Yeah, I wonder that, too. :->
Posted by: thechaplain

Re: School preparedness. - 09/28/07 06:07 PM

The greatest tool you can edc is the grey stuff between your ears. you can improvise most of the items that are not permitted on the campus with a little thought of what is around you. I would look at adding a whistle, photon light to a key chain.
Just think of what is around you in a school. for instance take the tiny razor blade in a pencil sharpner it would work in a pinch. you can make a tool for just about anything if you put your mind to it. steel whool and a 9vt battery can make a great fire starter but each on there own would not brake any rules that i am aware of(on a school campus). The main point is i havent been in school for about eleven years know and i can still think of things that were around that i could use for a survival situation or disaster. it will almost never be as important as what you have compared to what you know. there are exceptions to that but many have died who just didnt utilize what they had for not seeing beyond the intended use of an item.
Good question and thinking ahead of what could happen.

Re: School preparedness. - 09/28/07 06:38 PM

I'm currently a second-year nurse, so that would be nursing-school wink (I'm 17)

I don't specifically carry a CPR-kit for disasters (for reasons MDiana mentioned) but for EDC (had to perform CPR 2 times so far..)

If you don't know how to perform CPR, You wouldn't really need a CPR-mask

Quote:
If you've got your first aid or safety merit badge, and you feel OK doing first aid, go right ahead and carry a small kit. The teachers might not let you actually do any though.

Even if you use the kit for just yourself, some bandages,gauze pads, antiseptic-wipes and some Tylenol would be a great addition to any EDC

Re: School preparedness. - 09/28/07 08:37 PM

He does say middle school in his first line, so he's probably right around 13.
Posted by: Eugene

Re: School preparedness. - 09/28/07 08:54 PM

How old are you (since middle school is different ages in different places)? Are you old enough to drive yourself to school, or do you ride to school on a bus or with your parents or walk? I'm guessing your under 18 though which means your "property" of the school while your there so your stuck in their hands. That being the case if you can carry your own supplies such as water and food I would defiantly try because you can't always rely on others to protect you, search back a couple years for my story about the law firm my wife worked for evacuating the lawyers before the staff as they took care of the important people first. Even if you don't have your own transportation I'd try to keep a couple bottles of water and some food stashed in the back of your locker. If anything happens and your are a minor then the school isn't going to let you just leave to go home yourself so you may look into ways to communicate with your parents so you know when they are coming to get you.

Re: School preparedness. - 09/28/07 09:36 PM

Originally Posted By: MDinana
He does say middle school in his first line, so he's probably right around 13.

ya I'm 13 and I do go to a private school. I am also don't hang out with "those" types of ppl who shoplift. But I have a rather large locker and can stuff a lot of stuff in it. My school has many empty lockers so I could think a bout "squatting" in one with just my survival stuff. That would give me ample place to put my survival equipment.
Posted by: Blast

Re: School preparedness. - 09/28/07 10:48 PM

Cliberslacker,

+1 on being prepared
-5 on posting your school. That's the sort of info you should keep offline.

As for improving your preparedness factor, study your surroundings to see what tools you can improvise, what non-tradtional exits there are (windows, duct work, etc..), and what possibilities exisist on and off school grounds for acquiring tools if needed.

Learn everything you can about everything around you. Learn how copy machines and paper shredders work. Learn how much voltage is coming across the phone lines. Learn how to make a crystal radio from a pencil and a razor blade. The more you understand about science and what is around you the more options you'll have for making stuff in a pinch.

-Blast

Re: School preparedness. - 09/28/07 10:58 PM

I've guess they've got a point about the tools. Discretion is the key, as long as you don't have metal detectors and the likely hood of a search is low I would carry a few tools. But don't flash them or use them outside of an emergency. It also depends on the context, put next to a first aid kit (in a bright red store bought case or pouch with the white cross on it) and a space blanket, they suddenly seem a lot less threatening. Just as important (possibly most important) is your reputation with your teachers and administraters. If they know you're an upstanding student (and it sounds like that's likely), you'll face far fewer inquiries then you might otherwise. Your reputation can be your best armor.

Re: School preparedness. - 09/28/07 11:04 PM

Jeez, I meant to include that about the school in my other post. Search internet security guidelines. Passwords, names, birthdate, and any other personal information should be keep as private as possible. Just another way to prepare, like security for your house or supplies of food.
Posted by: Russ

Re: School preparedness. - 09/29/07 12:33 AM

No need to squat in a locker you don't own, it may become not your stuff.

If the reason for this survival situation is a bad earthquake, expect lots of broken stuff like windows. A pair of hiking boots will do a better job protecting your feet than running shoes and a pair of gloves will be good for keeping your hands from getting sliced. A small radio will be useful to get information regarding earthquake damage. That said, La Jolla is 90 miles from San Andreas, no where near as close as Philip(<5 miles), and probably not close enough to do massive destruction to San Diego/La Jolla. Still, it's always good to be prepared.

Under the assumption that you will be staying near the school until someone picks you up, keep a backpack with water and protein/energy bars/trail mix to keep you moving, an LED flashlight with extra batteries, a small first aid kit to include a couple N95 masks. For a longer term event (this is where the spare locker would be nice), a sleeping bag/blanket and change of clothes (heavy duty) would be good to have available. Hiking/camping gear would be very useful.

My suggestion would be to discuss this with your parents and have them ask the school what supplies they store in case of a serious earthquake/other natural disaster requiring them to keep the students at school. Since it's a private school they may be more open to students making personnel preps and may provide storage (that way the spare locker will be yours).

Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: School preparedness. - 09/29/07 01:43 AM

Hey, "climber", you don't seem like a slacker to me. Actually you seem pretty hardcore, planning for all the possibilities like that. (Take that as a compliment from an old guy.)

Lots of good advice has been given. I like what AROTC said about tools that are "non-weapons" yet very useful in a tight spot. I (as a Canadian, thus a foreign national) have taken heavy-duty paramedic shears through quite a number of US airport checkpoints and they never even opened my bag. They were focussed on swabbing my electronics (fine by me, my goal is an equal number of takeoffs and landings). If it's cool on a jetliner, it's cool anywhere.

Survival gear isn't all about hardware, though; clothing, bedding, light, necessary medications, water storage containers, etc. are rather more important.

FWIW, maybe you could store more "emergency stuff" in a sealed bag, without question, if your parents told the school what was going on, and basically demanded permission for this to be on hand. If you're expected to shelter in place, and there's no hidden agenda on your part, then this equipment is to everyone's advantage (yours, your parents', your school's). Your parents could be a useful resource here; and smart people make use of the resources available to them. (End of speech. :-)
Posted by: ironraven

Re: School preparedness. - 09/29/07 03:40 AM

Looks fairly good as a start.

Suggestions for your pack:
-Dust mask- N95 is very good, bandana works pretty well to
-Work gloves
-Spare glasses if you need them- if you don't need glasses, a pair of safety glasses anyway. And if you wear contacts, regular glasses are a must, contacts + dust = pain.
-Spare socks
-A couple of contractor bags or large garbage can liners- get chummy with the janitor (good person to know in the first place- they know the building better than anyone)
-Duct tape, rewrapped
-nitrile gloves- blue medical gloves
-couple zip ties

I think you might need a bigger backpack. :P Actually, most of it is pretty small. The contractor bags fold up to the size of a piece of bread, nitrile gloves to almost nothing. Most of it will fit in a plastic pencil box. Your socks and work gloves will be floating about, but that isn't a big deal, they are pretty flat to pack.

For your pocket:
-flashlight
-sturdy toenail clippers- useful if you can't have scissors or wire cutters

Unfortunately, given that you are 13 and this is for a school, a lot of the other items get dicey. Knives are out, as you said; so are most tools. Either mistaken for burglary tools or as drug paraphernalia (I can't see someone using vice-grips as a roach clip, but someone in administration might be dense enough to do so). Even an empty water bag might get mistaken as something for someone using inhalants. *scowls, muttering about over protective paranoia*

All that being said, without giving too many details, what is your school's plan for this scenario? They'll have one, and they have to be able to provide you with a copy. The best thing you can probably do is sit tight, and keep cool. You sound like a scout- remember the leadership methods you've seen. Peer pressure can be a good thing, particularly if your "adult supervision" is flaking out.
Posted by: Raspy

Re: School preparedness. - 09/29/07 04:31 AM

As mentioned by others get with the administration and find out what is allowable. Having things cleared beforehand can save many future hassles.

But you specifically ask about knives. Or more appropriately means of cutting. EMT or other heavy duty shears will preform most of the tasks needed. Broken glass can do fine cutting.

You still want a knife. Get a 12 inch steel drafting ruler. store it as is in your kit along with a roll of tape. Electricians tape will work. Friction tape will also. Probably the best would be the type used to wrap tennis racquit handles is best.

Then when you need it. Wrap 4 or 5 inches of the ruler to form a handle. The find a rough surface. A block wall, sidewalk or even a rock. Start rubbing [sharpening]. It will take a while. Eventually you can form a serviceable 7 to 8 inch knife.

Maybe not the best or the easiest way to go but it will work.

You don't sharpen or wrap until needed so that if looked at by the PTB's. All they see is a ruler and some tape not a weapon.
Posted by: wildman800

Re: School preparedness. - 09/29/07 07:12 AM

You might try making a geo cache in a discreet location within a mile or so of your school, if there is a favorable area.
Posted by: Leigh_Ratcliffe

Re: School preparedness. - 09/29/07 07:27 AM

Add the compass. A major earthquake could alter the topography badly. Fires may reduce visibility, as may dust etc.

Also if there is a quake, GET AS FAR AWAY FROM THE COAST AS POSSIBLE!!!!

Earthquake = Tsunami.

Re: School preparedness. - 09/29/07 12:31 PM

La Jolla is high enough that a Tsunami shouldn't be much threat, but I'd stay clear of the beach.

Something that just came to mind is that this is a school -- how about some Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) Training. Then put the kit together in the context of CERT. It should dovetail nicely with being a Boy Scout.
Quote:
CERT volunteers must be at least 18 to become accredited, although we are currently developing a partnership with scout troops.
Posted by: Lono

Re: School preparedness. - 09/29/07 04:51 PM

Some of the suggestions are just to stealthy or MacGuyverish for me (geocaching your 12 inch knife off campus etc, fire from steel wool etc). If something happens while you're at school things may be intense - the last thing that your school administrators need post-event is to think their kids have gone all Lord of the Flies with 12 inch Bowie knives. Not only will you need your supplies, but the school will need some cool heads. While a knife is essential in alot of scenarios, you still haven't shown anyone what you would use if for in La Jolla afer an event, probably an earthquake. To be frank, schools rely on simple tests and knowledge building to assure themselves you can handle it responsibly. (That's why they prohibit knives generally).

Be up front, and get involved. As others have suggested talk to your principal and the administrator of your school's preparedness program. See if there's a role in it for you as something other than a bystander. Look over their supply list, get involved with the inventory and drills, make some suggestions. You may not have access to your locker post-event. Many schools have their emergency supplies stored away from buildings (20' or 40' shipping containers, out-buildings) - see about storing your own supplies there, including items not ordinarily allowed. Get others involved in getting ready. I can't think of many preparedness efforts that won't accept willing hands, at least in preparation.

At 13 years though they won't likely plan for you to assist post-disaster unless you demonstrate real leadership and some training. You'll be 25 miles from home - your first 24 hours will likely be at the school, you could spend that time helping out. Don't be too dismayed if you get brushed off as just a kid - it happens to adults preparing alongside the professionals (disaster, police, fire). Keep chugging - the police or fire may do CERT or similar training, or auxiliaries to get involved with. If the school doesn't involve you, look to get involved in broader community disaster preparedness efforts. As a Scout you can turn all this effort into a nice community service project. Keep in mind that even if others can't plan for you to assist after an event, you'll at least be ready, which is a huge relief for everyone.

Now that I look at it, even this is alot for a teenager - don't forget to have some non-ERP fun now. Do you homework too, okay?
Posted by: Susan

Re: School preparedness. - 09/30/07 12:05 AM

The first thing I thought of was mentioned: whatever you bring, don't flash it around, even to your friends; what one person knows, everyone knows.

Forgive my low opinion of schools, but if you can get your parents to talk to the administrators about their plans for a disaster, have them ask them to prove that they have supplies on hand RIGHT NOW. Water, blankets, food, first aid supplies, etc. A lot of the schools tend to have a plan... on paper. If they were hit by a major quake Monday at noon, they wouldn't have a thing.

Maybe things have changed in CA, but when I was there, they built a lot of the schools of tip-up construction, probably the deadliest form of building for the Ring of Fire. Many of the gyms, especially, used to be built like that.

If you have a friend who thinks like you, and he can keep his mouth closed, you would have two large lockers to use.

And ask your parents what THEIR plans are. It doesn't help if the school has a plan and your parents don't.

I heard from a friend who still lives down there that your area had a cluster of quakes about a month ago. It gets you to thinking, doesn't it?

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20070911-9999-1m11quake.html

Sue

Posted by: Onedzguy

Re: School preparedness. - 09/30/07 04:37 AM

There might a piece of unused information here. Does your school have a Student Handbook? You should be able to figure out what to bring or not bring to school.

Re: School preparedness. - 09/30/07 04:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Onedzguy
There might a piece of unused information here. Does your school have a Student Handbook? You should be able to figure out what to bring or not bring to school.

ya here is what it says and I quote," The following are certain offenses, which shall result in expulsion, suspension or other severe disciplinary action:....2. Possession and/or use of any kind of weapon, explosive (so fire tools are out) or any other dangerous material. Now I could make the argument that a Sak is not a weapon but a tool, but expulsion, I don't plan on trying it any time soon.

Jace

Re: School preparedness. - 09/30/07 04:37 PM

Originally Posted By: climberslacker
Originally Posted By: Onedzguy

ya here is what it says and I quote," The following are certain offenses, which shall result in expulsion, suspension or other severe disciplinary action:....2. Possession and/or use of any kind of weapon, explosive (so fire tools are out) or any other dangerous material. Now I could make the argument that a Sak is not a weapon but a tool, but expulsion, I don't plan on trying it any time soon.

Jace

That Student Handbook uses fairly lazy language, anything can be a weapon in the wrong (or right) hands. How about a baseball bat or a framing hammer? Great blunt force weapons. How about a car? With the number of deaths on highways and city streets, a car could easily be considered a weapon. Does your science lab have any acid around? The only thing that makes something a weapon instead of a tool or sports equipment is intent. They can argue it's a weapon, you can argue it's a tool. Their intent will win because they have a very loose definition.

Talk to your Dad about it, maybe ask the school to define weapon and once they do, tear the definition apart. A knife is not a weapon without intent whether it's from Victorinox, Leatherman or Benchmade.

Re: School preparedness. - 09/30/07 05:56 PM

I think I can only get expelled if I use it as a weapon because it says, possession or use of a weapon.

-Jace
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: School preparedness. - 09/30/07 06:16 PM

"...ask the school to define weapon and once they do, tear the definition apart.."

And try to get that definition in writing, with a school officials signature on it. That way you "might" be covered if you carry something that one official says is OK, then another tries to get you expelled for it...

Re: School preparedness. - 09/30/07 06:19 PM

"Possession or use" means either one, not necessarily both.

Use of a baseball bat as a weapon would show intent, hence, that baseball bat could be considered a weapon -- you get expelled. Non-use of a knife in your possession would still be possession of a tool they consider to be a weapon -- you get expelled.

Re: School preparedness. - 10/02/07 12:48 AM

Or you're painting a bullseye on your back. Increasing your profile is usually bad tactics- asking what you are allowed to have on campus usually makes people nervous in my experience, and that was on a college campus not a middle school. These policies are intentionally written with maximum amount of space open to the schools; the student who runs afoul of them accidentally is generally hosed.

Erring on the side of caution rarely harms. And scrounging up things like a moderately sharp or better edge is usually pretty easy.

Re: School preparedness. - 10/02/07 01:42 AM

Good point, besides a knife in this situation may not be as critical as other situations so raising the issue may have a negative risk/reward payoff (does that make sense?). I wonder how they'd view Leatherman's knifeless Fuse.

Re: School preparedness. - 10/06/07 06:27 PM

O.k. I have made a kit hat I intend to put in my locker: here are some pictures: O.k. I don't know how to insert pictures. If I get help then I'll edit this post to add the pictures. So I need help.

-Jace

Re: School preparedness. - 10/06/07 06:31 PM

You could use this site:

http://www.imageshack.com/

Re: School preparedness. - 10/07/07 04:16 AM

I like photobucket personally, but I think he's talking about how to add them to the post.

Climber- when you replied, did you use the "quick reply" box under the post, or did you click on "replay" in the links in the lower right of the post? If you are doing the latter, there is a button that lets add the image tags and walks you through things pretty well.

Re: School preparedness. - 10/07/07 02:41 PM

My gear, all packed up.

My edc

My backpack unpacked.

A closer look.

Is there any thing else you can see added. I think that I might add one of those inflatable solar still, because I live/ go to school by the ocean. I go to school about a 2 minute walk from the ocean.

-Jace

Re: School preparedness. - 10/07/07 03:06 PM

The kit looks good, but do you happen to have a list of it?

Maybe add some duct-tape, ear-plugs and some more lightsticks? (If you haven't got them already)

BTW: What's in that OD-pouch in the third picture?

Re: School preparedness. - 10/07/07 03:21 PM

Okay. I have duct tape, ( on a home made spool) and earplugs ( int the little green box.)The OD box is a military first aid kit. I get them from my surplus store, I live by Camp Pendleton, a HUGE marine base. It was like 16 dollars and has a lot. I will add more lite sticks, thanks for the idea. maybe some more duct tape.

-Jace
Posted by: SARbound

Re: School preparedness. - 10/07/07 03:25 PM

You could add a lot of things depending on what you believe would come in handy.

I would :

o Replace the cotton white socks with wool socks (merino wool
blend) and the small light with a cheap headlamp

o Lose the medic shears and replace with a medium size Swiss Army knife

o Remove the playing cards (needlessly heavy!) and replace by a pouch of Gatorade crystals

o Replace the N95 masks by a bandana (such as the Buff). Your masks will lose their shape and might become unusable after a little while in your pack.

There you go.

Re: School preparedness. - 10/07/07 03:43 PM

1) I plan on changing them to wool
2)I'm not able to have a SAK at school.
3)I don't care about weight ( it will be in my locker)
4)I need the cards cause they are non electric, and i will get bored after the "incident"
5)I might add the gatorade
6)I have a bandanna too. (EDC)I don't think that they will deform because I put them on the top of my bag and it stays in my locker. (were it wont move)
Posted by: samhain

Re: School preparedness. - 10/07/07 04:53 PM

Quote:
Maybe a heatsheet in case you're stuck outside at night.

Or strung up for a sunshield if y'all are corraled in the football field after a quake.

Re: School preparedness. - 10/08/07 09:21 PM

One thing that I thought of today is to put all of the contents ins plastic bags. If there was an earthquake the water jugs mite leak a little and ruin the contents (life boat water logging the survival gear?). It could also prove useful for the bags. I also thought about adding a whole roll of duct tape. Would some salt and pepper be useful or not? Just in the little to-go packets? Also It doesn't get very cold hear in La Jolla but my uniform is all cotton.

just some thoughts

-Jace

p.s. I am definitely going to do the bag thing.

p.p.s I changed the socks for on all wool version.

Re: School preparedness. - 10/08/07 10:03 PM

Jace,
Yeah, La Jolla doesn't get too cold. But, you're from there, so you're not that acclimated to the cold. I grew up in the OC, so I remember that the 50-60 degree temps of winter are "cold." Throw in the fog that La Jolla gets, and you'll be pretty chilly. A hat and vest (or jacket) would be a good idea, as might a poncho, in case it drizzles (yeah, for the one day annually where SoCal gets rain.)
Posted by: Susan

Re: School preparedness. - 10/09/07 01:24 AM

La Jolla gets about a foot of precipitation a year. And if they had a major disaster, that's when they would get it.

Sue

Re: School preparedness. - 10/09/07 01:55 AM

According to Murphy, yes this is when we will get the storm of the century.

-Jace

P.S. I am going to post the contents of my kit. (:

Re: School preparedness. - 10/09/07 08:44 PM

Here is a list of the contents of my pack( that is in my locker along with 2 gallons of water)

clif bars
map of la jolla
cash
small flashlight
batteries
earplugs
glow sticks
gloves(nitrile)
emt sheers
tri bandage
water bottles
n95 mask
work gloves
survival bag
PFAK

I Also have a altoids tin in my backpack with the following:

breathrite strip
gauze pad
can opener
antiseptic wipe
advil
pencil wrapped in floss
needle
band aid
piece of paper
saftey pins

Also in my back pack is a cpr face shield (yes I am certified).

Re: School preparedness. - 10/09/07 09:38 PM

Water, snacks, gloves, lots of first aid gear -- good.

"small flashlight" -- Not all flashlights are created equally. In an emergency you will want a light that's easy on batteries and bulbs. LED flashlights are the way to go. Standard bulbs break too easily and use too much electricity for their light output. High output Xenon bulbs are great if you need lots of light but for a light that's easy on batteries and won't break when dropped, go for a quality LED light. Don't forget spare batteries.

Re: School preparedness. - 10/09/07 11:24 PM

I have a aaa mag with spares. I am also planning on getting the Doug Ritter photon freedom.(to put on my keychain) Along with some extra batts. for it.

Re: School preparedness. - 10/09/07 11:40 PM

In that size the Peak Matterhorn Ultra Power is one of my favorites. The Photon Freedom is a good keyring light.

Re: School preparedness. - 10/10/07 02:09 AM

The Solitaire or the AAA Mini-mag?

If the latter, the Nite-ize LED adapter should work in your light. I put one the MiniMag that lives in my EDC bag about a year and half ago- I haven't had to change batteries yet. While it is admittedly a spare light, historically it went through a set of batteries every six months or killed a bulb from impact. They run about seven, eight bucks.

And it is a LOT brighter as well.

If the Solitaire.. they work, I carry one on my keys and in one of my kits. I keep looking for something better that isn't a coin cell though.
Posted by: UTAlumnus

Re: School preparedness. - 10/10/07 02:47 AM

If it's the Nite-ize I'm thinking of, it will only fit the AA models. IIRC the AAA model has a thinner head as well as the body.
Multi adaptor for a wide range of lights. Its brighter than the Nite-ize but I don't know about the run time.

There is an LED mod for the Solitaire. Its a serious upgrade in light output both in color and amount. The only problem is that the head doesn't thighten down like it will with the original bulb. The front o-ring doesn't completely seal.
Posted by: UTAlumnus

Re: School preparedness. - 10/10/07 03:07 AM

Quote:
High output Xenon bulbs are great if you need lots of light

Go for LED even for high output. The Fenix L1D Cree I edc puts out light comparable to a Surefire E2e in volume & run time with a single AA. They're not cheap but its half the list price of the Surefire. Admittedly some of the cost of the Surefire is in durability but double the price for less output & less run time? The led Surefire has a better output (45 & 14.5hrs) and run time than the 2AA Fenix (40 & 10.5hrs) but its using 2x123 batteries to do it.

Re: School preparedness. - 10/10/07 02:16 PM

I found a cheap LED single AAA light at Walmart. Its made by Dorcy and it's about $5. Its comparable to the Solitare in size (a little smaller) but still reasonably robust (I've carried one in my pockets for about six monthes) and with good battery life. I so far haven't had to change the battery at all.

Re: School preparedness. - 10/10/07 02:29 PM

Agree, I've got a Dorcy 1xAAA LED, good light and inexpensive. Another good light is the Gerber Infinity Ultra 1xAA LED. Very easy on its battery.

Re: School preparedness. - 10/11/07 06:35 PM

o.k. So I think that by putting most of my gear into one locker it may be "putting all my eggs in one basket" so-to-speak. But if I divide it up there is a chance i may not get what I need. I do have some stuff as edc, that could put me off until I could get back to my locker. Any thoughts??

-Jace

Re: School preparedness. - 10/11/07 07:21 PM

A funny thing I just noticed:

Most of us keep emergency supplies at our home, but wat if I have to bug out? Ow, I just make a BOB.
But what if I'm not at home, but at work/school? Ow, I just make a office-kit/GHB.
But what if I can't get to my supplies at work... I just make another kit?
We could go on like this forever shocked

Just an observation

Re: School preparedness. - 10/11/07 09:29 PM

Which is why I keep my primary kit in my truck. It goes where I go. I EDC the usual (knives, flashlights, keys (w/ photon freedom) and I have a backpack with essentials that's either on my shoulder or very nearby, but that's geared more toward everyday use (gym bag, work bag, flight bag). The truck kit is primary -- 96 hour kit with food, water, flashlights, tools, tent, sleeping bag, blankets, solar battery charger. . . yada yada yada.

In Jace's case I'd EDC what I needed with the goal of having it available 1) for everyday use and 2) to help get to the primary kit in his locker.

Re: School preparedness. - 10/12/07 04:44 AM

First, in the future please resize your images. Those would have sucked on broadband, and a number of us are restricted dial up due to our location. A 2.2MB image is just painful. PM if you aren't sure how to do that. (Also, fileup is a painfully bandwidth issues- photobucket or imageshack will give you better performance even on these beasts.) I'm not busting your chops, I'm just saying that grabbing those images hurt and they didn't have to.

Have you looked for the school's plan yet? My suggestion would be less water, and possibly pull some stuff out of the FAK. It is a great kit, I've build off several of them, but there is some unneeded bulk like the empty pill bottles if you haven't cracked it yet. (Bulk out = space found! And you probably already have a triangular bandage in there if it was packed to spec when you bought it.)

There are two reasons for me saying that. One is becuase your school has a stock of supplies. Being able to get off those is great, but as a student under their care you aren't able to leave so you might as well sit tight.

Two gallons of water is great, but it is a LOT of water for your pack. Is the Jansport your normal book bag? Maybe a new backpack that has side pockets, and two quart bottles in those, refilled as needed during the day would make sense. That would also let you escape the quandary you posted- how do you get to this if you locker isn't there any more. It turns it into an EDCed kit if you move some items to the FAK once you've cleaned it out some, it won't take up much space in your pack.

Other thoughts, now that I've seen it.
-Chemlights do suck. Maybe one. Maybe. Not an issue if in your locker, is a volume issue in a backpack.
-Craft stores and some hardware stores sell small zipper bags, 2x2. Yes, they look like paraphernalia when empty- that is why you pack a pair of nitriles into each one. Turns into a wrinkly, solid, blue rubbery thingy that most people can't ID, but it isn't drugs. :P But it also keeps them under control. Same thing for the earplugs that were mentioned, and your batteries.
-Better garabage bags. General around the house bags are usually pretty light, and often have been treated with something. Look for a leaf bag or a contractor's bag- it is bigger, doesn't take up any more room, is more robust and won't make you sick if you have to use it as a poncho.
-Again, go through the FAK. If it is the same one I use for my start, you've got some stuff you can pull to make room.

And if that was all that was in that backpack... I own one. You need to learn to pack. :P But if you can get it into your EDC pack, and stash the big water in your locker, you're good even if you can't get to the locker.

Re: School preparedness. - 10/12/07 06:39 PM

No the pack i carry is not my normal school bag, I keep it in my locker because our earthquake rally-point is off campus. I know that they do, but I do think they are better than nothing. Space is not an issue. My gloves are already in bags like that. I have black bags but also a few slightly stronger compactor bags. My dad is a contractor so that wont be a problem (contractor bags) My FAK is not spec. It is a repack and has enough. Again SPACE IS NOT AN ISSUE.

thanks

-Jace

Re: School preparedness. - 10/12/07 06:53 PM

Quote:
My FAK is not spec. It is a repack and has enough.

What's in it?

Re: School preparedness. - 10/12/07 08:50 PM

And by enough I mean trauma dressings and band aids. It also has this stuff that you can put in water and have a burn victim consume. I don't know how it works.

Re: School preparedness. - 10/13/07 03:05 AM

Jace, space is always an issue. So is weight. Your rally-point is off campus- what is the drill for getting there? Everyone make their own way and if you aren't there in 30 they mark you as overdue? Or everyone que up and make your way orderly to the rp under the supervision of your instructors?

Teacher's kid here- I'm going to bet it is the latter. Under those circumstances, can you get to your locker? Can you be sure your locker is even there any more? That is the point I was trying to make. I talked with a family friend in southern California today, his kids describe it as a "line up, get out, don't screw around" drill. Can't imagine kids in private schools have a different plan- no time to hit your locker unless you happen to be in just the right place.

Re: School preparedness. - 10/14/07 07:08 PM

Yes, It is line up, don't screw around, but during the drills I walk right past me locker so I think i could steal away. I could just catch-up,(or say i twisted my ankle.) The rally point is less than 100 yards off campus. We don't meet on the field because it is astro-turf and the whole thing will go up in flames whith like 1 spark.(exaggeration, Although I would like to test that.) Anyways, I will practice getting to my locker next time.

-Jace

Re: School preparedness. - 10/14/07 07:22 PM

Don't think that you absolutely need to have the stuff in the locker; don't make the mistake of thinking the stuff in your locker a requirement. You're only required to keep breathing, everything else is frosting. Put together a small EDC that you carry always -- think small and discreet. If you can safely and quickly get to your locker go for it, but breathing is #1.

Re: School preparedness. - 10/14/07 07:27 PM

Ya I always have this within 2 feet of me.

I Also have a altoids tin in my backpack with the following:

breathrite strip
gauze pad
can opener
antiseptic wipe
advil
pencil wrapped in floss
needle
band aid
piece of paper
saftey pins

Also in my back pack is a cpr face shield (yes I am certified).

I forgot to mention that I have about 3 feet of para cord that i keep around it and $1.50 in quarters secured to the top with ranger rubber bands. I also have a photon freedom(that i just got in the mail today.) That I plan on always having on my key-chain.

-Jace