Modified DR PSP's

Posted by: CBTENGR

Modified DR PSP's - 09/22/07 04:23 AM

I just purchased three more PSP's, one for each car and one for training, sorry... teaching the DW. I have tried adding several different items and now this is what I carry in addition to everything already in the kit...

mini Bic lighter
(6) Micropur tabs
(2) Gerber bags

I would not consider adding any additional knives/tools as I already EDC a folding knife and a mini multi tool on a key chain (as well as other things that I will post later as soon as I can get the digital camera to work). I would love to know if anyone else has been able to add extra stuff to this great kit.
Posted by: Leigh_Ratcliffe

Re: Modified DR PSP's - 09/22/07 05:57 AM

1 x ziplock poly bag.
1 x B.C.B wire saw.
1 x mini-bic lighter.
6 x lifeboat matches.
12 x No 6 barbed hooks.
6 x assorted split shot.
30ft 12lb fishing line.
4 x extra tinder-quick tabs.

The additions are in case it goes beyond 3 days.

I have actually taken mine out of its ziplock bag and put it into a tobbacco tin. Same footprint. Better durability.

Occasional users would do better to leave it in the bag. So you can see what is what.
Posted by: JIM

Re: Modified DR PSP's - 09/22/07 08:20 AM

I've added:

- 2 extra Tinder-Quicks
- Photon II microlight
- 5 Coghlan's wind/waterproof matches+striker
- Quart Ziplock
- 10 Aquaclear water purification tabs

As with you, I didn't add a knife, because I EDC a Leatherman Wave and a Benchmade Griptillian.

I als carry a FAK seperately, so no FA-supplies in the PSP.
Posted by: urbansurvivalist

Re: Modified DR PSP's - 09/22/07 02:55 PM

- 1 K.I.S.S. partially serrated knife

- 1 mini magnesium/ferro "sparky" fire starter (http://www.wisementrading.com/firestarters/magnesium.htm)

- 1 imitation photon light (which I will replace with a photon freedom as I upgrade my EDC to the latest one.

- 2 spare CR2016 batteries

- 2 gerber bags

Because of the knife, the above barely fits (I don't even have room for MP-1 tabs!) and is an ordeal to repack if I remove everything, so I may eventually repack the kit in a slightly larger container.
I keep the PSP in a small nylon pouch(which used to hold a CPR mask) with a fire kit, mylar blanket, bandanna, MP-1 chlorine dioxide tabs, and a 9 hour candle.

I also edc a photon, ferro rod, at least one knife, etc, but I like my kits to be completely self sufficient(i.e., the wake up naked in the woods with nothing but the kit scenario). Normally my PSK is very redundant with what I'm carrying in the woods, or in my car, or my backpack anyway.
Posted by: Malcontent

Re: Modified DR PSP's - 09/22/07 03:58 PM

The only thing I have in mine that is not already mentioned, I added 4 small 4" cable ties
Posted by: JIM

Re: Modified DR PSP's - 09/22/07 04:19 PM

Quote:
Because of the knife, the above barely fits (I don't even have room for MP-1 tabs!) and is an ordeal to repack if I remove everything, so I may eventually repack the kit in a slightly larger container.

Maybe you could use some paracord to connect your K.I.S.S. to the PSP? That would clear some room for MP1's , a ziplock and some matches..
Posted by: billym

Re: Modified DR PSP's - 09/22/07 05:55 PM

Originally Posted By: CBTENGR
I just purchased three more PSP's, one for each car and one for training, sorry... teaching the DW. I have tried adding several different items and now this is what I carry in addition to everything already in the kit...

mini Bic lighter
(6) Micropur tabs
(2) Gerber bags

I would not consider adding any additional knives/tools as I already EDC a folding knife and a mini multi tool on a key chain (as well as other things that I will post later as soon as I can get the digital camera to work). I would love to know if anyone else has been able to add extra stuff to this great kit.

Those are pretty good additions and efficient use of space.
You added more fire ability, water purification (Doug recommends adding these) and 2 water carriers. Good job.
I think you are OK without adding a knife since you EDC two knives already.

Posted by: Kris

Re: Modified DR PSP's - 09/22/07 09:20 PM

I've added:
-6 micropur tabs
-4x3" guaze pad
-2 bandaids (switching to knunkle bandaids)
-2 triple antibiotic ointment
-2 alcohol prep pads (use for tinder for fire as well)

Need the medical stuff as i use this as my edc psk, even to the office. It's on my person, or at least in my jacket. So acts as my on person fak as well.

And have a gerber stl 2.0 on order and i think i can get it in there. I like to have 'everything in one package' (similar to urbansurvivalist).

I also have a nagene 1 litre colaspable canteen (on order), and put all that in a aloksak bag (7x4.5).

I might add more to it, and if i do, then I will see if i can fit:
-mini bic
-5 twenties (usd)
-matches (can't get REI to international ship their famous matches - need to find similar)
-add a space pen cartridge (and possibly remove pencil - or keep it for additional tinder)

Have to wait for next order to see if everything will fit!!!

Have a good one,
Kris

Posted by: ironraven

Re: Modified DR PSP's - 09/23/07 01:58 AM

I'd say you were good. It would be cheating if you had to take it out of the pouch it came in. :P

To go WITH it, at a minimum something like the AMK Pocket Medic with a few more 2x2s and some immodium tucked in. Same size, costs about 10 bucks. A PSK without a PMK is like liquid hydrogen without liquid oxygen- sure, you're still impressive, but with the other half of the equation you're flying.

Re: Modified DR PSP's - 09/23/07 02:32 AM

I had a couple REI matches in the PSP, but when I realized that I probably didn't have enough and tried to add more there wasn't enough room. With the amount of space 10 matches took up I could add the mini Bic.

Re: Modified DR PSP's - 09/23/07 02:36 AM

I have a simple FAK to go qith the PSP, but I like making my own kits and am in the process of redoing all of my FAK's. If anyone has any extras to add for FAK's that would be great too.
Posted by: Alan_Romania

Re: Modified DR PSP's - 09/23/07 06:13 AM

I used my DR PSPs as a foundation for a larger PSP. I removed the contents from the original container and use a small Alkosak to carry all the contents (minus the cord, instructions, paper and pencil,) and add a AMK Heatsheet, DR Freedom Light, Prep Razor, gerber formula bags, benadryl, spectra cord and Micropur tablets. The kit is bigger then the DR PSP, but easily fits in any pants back pocket or BDU pocket.
Posted by: Stu

Re: Modified DR PSP's - 09/23/07 03:26 PM

In several PSP's I've:
1) Removed the plastic wrap from inside the plastic vial and added more fish hooks, snap swivels and split shot
2) Added 50' 10 pound spiderwire line
3) Added Alox Ambassador SAK or Alox Classic SAK
4) Added 6 micro-pur tabs
5) Added a K1 Sparky Ferro rod/mag stick
6) Removed the Duct Tape and added blaze orange tape to the outside
7) Added Electrical Tape to the outside
8) Added more Tinder quick
9) Added 2.7mm Glow Cord to the outside.
10) Added large rubber band to outside, to help keep closed and as tinder

Still fits my trail hiker bellows pockets
Posted by: Paragon

Re: Modified DR PSP's - 10/22/07 04:29 PM

Originally Posted By: CBTENGR
I would love to know if anyone else has been able to add extra stuff to this great kit.

This is actually my first post on this board, so take it FWIW...

I've been very pleased with both the quality and contents of the DR/AMK PSP, but like many others, I have simply used it as the foundation for my own personalized PSK.

Several years ago I picked up a couple of small Gortex nylon camo go-bags that measure about 6 3/4" x 4 1/2" x 2". They feature a velcro closure, along with a full length belt loop sewn on the reverse. The DR/AMK PSP fits very nicely into one of these pouches, and easily leaves room for me to personalize it with several additional items.

As far as the DR/AMK PSP itself goes, I had to remove one of the tinder quik tabs to make some additional space for a DR/Photon Freedom Micro light, along with two (2) spare CR2016 Lithium batteries. I also have added six (6) Katadyn Micropur MP-1 water purification tablets, as well as a few extra #12 barbed hooks, sinkers, and 12 feet of monofilament fishing line to the supplied fishing kit vial.

The camo go-bag is actually quite small, but just to give you an idea of its size, it would probably expand to hold three (3)DR/AMK PSP's if you really stuffed them in. The following are the additional items that I packed:

1 Gerber E-Z Out Knife, Folding, 2 1/2" Locking Blade
2 Hart EZ Towels, 2 cm Compressed, 8 1/2" x 9 1/2"
25 Potable Aqua, Germacide
18 PA Plus, Neutralizer
1 Coghlans Emergency Blanket, 52" x 82.5"
1 Coghlans Emergency Hooded Poncho, 50" x 80"
1 Comando Wire Saw, 18", w/ 2 Split Rings
6 Tie Wraps, Thomas & Betts, 3 1/2"
6 Stainless Steel Eyelets, 3/8" diameter
9 Stainless Steel Safety Wire, 9', 0.032" Dia
1 Mini Bic Lighter
1 Tweezers, Surgical Point
1 Drinking Straw, Collapsible
2 Antiseptic Cleansing Wipes
2 Insect Sting Relief
2 Mycitracin™ First Aid Ointment
2 Hydrocortisone Anti-Itch Relief
1 Ammonia Inhalant
2 BugX Insect Repellent (52.5% DEET)
4 Band-Aid™ Bandages, 3/4" x 3"
1 Band-Aid™ Bandages, Fingertip
1 Band-Aid™ Bandages, Knuckle
1 Sewing Kit
2 Blistex Lip Balm, .5g Foil Packed
2 Dental Floss/Pick
3 Mini Dental Brushes
2 Oral-B Brush Ups
2 Coffee Filters, #2 (For Straining Water)
2 Gerber Formula Bags (For Water Storage)
6 Centrum Performance Multi-Vitamins
6 Percoset, 45mg (Perscription)
6 Motrin, 800mg (Perscription)
1 Ziploc™ Poly Bag, 4" x 4"
1 Ziploc™ Mini Poly Bag, 2 1/2" x 3"

Everything except the Gerber knife (located immediately below the velcro flap for quick access) is packed within a Ziploc™ quart sized freezer bag for additional waterproofing. The total weight of everything is 14.5oz (410g) and easily fits within the front pocket of my BDU's.

While I must admit that I've never been one to look over my shoulder for black helicopters and thus don't carry this PSK with me everywhere as an EDC (although it very could easily due to its compact size and light weight) it is generally very close by.

I currently keep it stowed in the front zippered pocket of a very extensive BOB, although I consistently remove it and carry it with me whenever I take off on an extended road trip or hike into the outdoors. On the subject of hiking, I do supplement the PSK with a Leatherman Charge multi-tool in a spare pocket whenever I venture into the woods.

I have a second Gortex nylon camo go-bag that I'm currently stuffing with additional first aid items, as well as essential shelter, fire, and food items to supplement my primary PSK. As small and lightweight as these are, I figure that I can carry two when venturing into the outdoors.

Jim

Posted by: Blast

Re: Modified DR PSP's - 10/22/07 04:49 PM

Jim,

Welcome to the fire, newguy! Nice kit you have there.

-Blast
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Modified DR PSP's - 10/22/07 11:12 PM

Welcome Newguy!!!
Posted by: Rusty

Re: Modified DR PSP's - 10/23/07 04:21 PM

Below is a link to my modified DR PSK and EDC:

Modified DR PSK