Blomgren's pragmatic way of boiling water

Posted by: Frankie

Blomgren's pragmatic way of boiling water - 09/19/07 01:15 PM

Michel Blomgren uses the Primus Litech Kettle to boil water over an open fire as seen here:

I believe this kettle was designed to be used with an alcohol stove. Is it safe for the handle to place it on a flame?

Because I was at MEC and considered this kettle and I have to say that it's really light as a feather and has an interesting form factor. I have in mind of finally tasting spruce tree tea one of these days (not that I need to prevent scurvy).

Thanks
Posted by: Loganenator

Re: Blomgren's pragmatic way of boiling water - 09/19/07 02:58 PM

Blomgren also inspired me to get this kettle and I really enjoy it, Although I use mine on an alcohol stove. The handle is plastic to act as a buffer for the hot aluminum so it would not be wise to let the flames get too high around it...it would most likely melt. But if you lifted the pot as shown in your pic your handle should be safe I think. Even if the plastic did melt however you would still have the aluminum handle to fall back on. A head's up for this pot. Don't over fill it or boiling water spurting from the nozzle will either burn you or put out your alcohol stove flame. wink

~Nemo
Posted by: ohiohiker

Re: Blomgren's pragmatic way of boiling water - 09/19/07 04:06 PM

I prefer just to carry a large stainless steel water bottle (40 oz).
Posted by: Frankie

Re: Blomgren's pragmatic way of boiling water - 09/19/07 04:22 PM

Is it a Klean Kanteen?
Posted by: Leigh_Ratcliffe

Re: Blomgren's pragmatic way of boiling water - 09/19/07 05:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Frankie
Michel Blomgren uses the Primus Litech Kettle to boil water over an open fire as seen here:

I believe this kettle was designed to be used with an alcohol stove. Is it safe for the handle to place it on a flame?

Because I was at MEC and considered this kettle and I have to say that it's really light as a feather and has an interesting form factor. I have in mind of finally tasting spruce tree tea one of these days (not that I need to prevent scurvy).

Thanks

I have one & yes it is.

You have to appreciate that modern digital camera's and video cam's see farther into the infrared than the human eye does. That means that flames look far more impressive than they actually are.

Ideally when using a kettle you should construct a tripod out of branches and use a notched stick to vary the height of the kettle above the fire.

You have to approach Michael Blomgrens video's with the view that they are idea's rather than set-in-stone way's of doing things. There are things he does that I would approach differently. Like the shelter he built in his initial "5 points" video. I think that the 5 points is an excellent primer. Clear, congent, well presented etc.

I did wonder, as I think that Sweden has some form of conscription/national service, if he is utilising techniques that taught to him during his service?
Posted by: CANOEDOGS

Re: Blomgren's pragmatic way of boiling water - 09/19/07 08:26 PM

this is a fine well made kettle made by a top notch company
i have and use one when i hike with a light weight stove
that does not come with a cook kit/case..it's somewhat
small but works well for one or two people..
like Leight said the fire is too big..save fuel and keep it
small and feed wood in as you cook..Ohio used a large
steel bottle but i would want hot and cold water and would
not want to heat my entire supply..as a last note the
cover for that pot will fit the cup that comes with a
Svea 123 and as thats the stove i would take to go with the
tea pot, i now have a covered pot to cook in..i would say
this is more camping gear than survival as with survival
gear you want one bit of equipment to serve several
uses..pine tea is ok but as long as you are up north i
would seek out the Labrador Tea plant and try some of that.
Posted by: SwampDonkey

Re: Blomgren's pragmatic way of boiling water - 09/20/07 02:20 AM

Hi All,

I have had a Litech kettle for about 6 months and have used it mostly over a Snowpeak Giga Canister Stove. I found the kettle to be a small, light quality unit, just the right size for 2 people. In storage/transport I pack the stove (without tank) and my coffee/tea making supplies within the kettle, no problem.

I think there is a larger Litech kettle out now, I plan on buying this also for family trips with more people.

Mike

Re: Blomgren's pragmatic way of boiling water - 09/20/07 03:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Frankie
Is it a Klean Kanteen?

Yes. Wiggy's also has a steel bottle:
http://www.wiggys.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=100&CFID=47440&CFTOKEN=86575741

I like the idea of purifying my entire water supply at once by boiling. Of course the bottle is less stable than a kettle, although it does have a lip at the top which would allow hanging it with a tight loop of steel wire (or hose clamp) above the fire.
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: Blomgren's pragmatic way of boiling water - 09/20/07 03:23 PM

Hi Frankie,

The Primus Litech Kettle is tough, lightweight and does its job admirably but don'l let any women see you use as they find it so cute looking they will want to steal it or they will burst out laughing once they have gazed upon it. grin
Posted by: Susan

Re: Blomgren's pragmatic way of boiling water - 09/24/07 01:30 AM

I suppose it would kill Wiggy's, or any other company, to make a single-wall WIDE-MOUTH BOTTLE...

Sue
Posted by: eric_2003

Re: Blomgren's pragmatic way of boiling water - 09/24/07 03:15 AM

MEC www.mec.ca has them, GSI and Bilt I believe are the manufacturers. The problem with the GSI one (I have it) is that it is a plastic lid, and to suspend over a fire it would be a bit trickier, although steel wire would work.

Eric

Re: Blomgren's pragmatic way of boiling water - 09/25/07 04:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Susan
I suppose it would kill Wiggy's, or any other company, to make a single-wall WIDE-MOUTH BOTTLE...

Sue

These seem wide enough for filling, cleaning, ice cubes, cooking smaller pieces (bugs? grin), etc.

Is the problem that they don't match the standard Nalgene size thread that many water filters use?
Posted by: xbanker

Re: Blomgren's pragmatic way of boiling water - 09/25/07 09:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Susan

Originally Posted By: ohiohiker
Is the problem that they don't match the standard Nalgene size thread that many water filters use?

Have one of these — made by Guyot Designs — on my Christmas list: "63mm mouth works with wide mouth water purifiers & accessories." The tethered reinforced nylon lid is removable. Two other "models" carried by EverestGear.com .