MOLLE Vest

Posted by: CBTENGR

MOLLE Vest - 09/13/07 03:16 PM

I currently carry my BOB in a backpack, but this is fairly heavy and uncomfortable do to my bad back. As many LEO's know carrying a heavy duty belt around your waist for hours on end can lead to severe lower back pain. I would hate to have to carry around my BOB for extended periods. I was thinking of purchasing a MOLLE vest that would allow me to better distribute weight around the vest. This would also make it easier to access certain items around the vest. Has anyone tried this set up and had fair success?
Posted by: Loganenator

Re: MOLLE Vest - 09/13/07 03:37 PM

You may want to check out the True north gear Aero Vest also. Looks pretty functional although it may not have the same capacity as a MOLLE vest it appears to be a variation on an ALICE type system. I have a couple of the true north gear packs for my EDC (Serac model) and my BOB (firefly medic model) and was considering adding this vest to the BOB for conversion to an ALICE if necessary.

Cheers,
Nemo
Posted by: thseng

Re: MOLLE Vest - 09/13/07 04:20 PM

I asked a similar question back in this thread.

I haven't done anything yet, but I just got in touch with a local SAR group, so when I eventually get involved with them I'll probably end up with some type of vest.
Posted by: philip

Re: MOLLE Vest - 09/13/07 05:27 PM

I use a photographer's vest and cargo pants for my stuff. As others have pointed out, the vest isn't as hard on my back as the backpack I used to wear, and backpacks are notoriously hard to get stuff out of quickly.

See
http://lifehacker.com/software/screenshot-tour/show-us-your-go-bag-part-2-292427.php
for photos of a variety of go-bags, go-pants, and go-vests (this is part 2; it has a link to part 1).

Ammo does fit in photo vests, by the way:
http://lifehacker.com/photogallery/show-us-your-go-bag-part-1/2388489

A photo vest is a real article of clothing, so I get more use out of it than the thing that's called a "vest" in the phrase MOLLE vest. I wear it in airports with my walkie-talkie, water, TSA-passable survival stuff, paperback books, magazines, etc., without attracting unwanted attention by looking like a paramilitary wannabe.

The problems with a photo vest are - it's not padded, so stuff pokes you and you have to be careful setting it down or sitting down if you have breakable stuff in it; if it's hot, it makes you sweat less than a backpack, but you still sweat; it can be hard to get into if you have a bulky wrist watch that catches on the armholes; although the I much prefer the weight distribution in the vest over that of a backpack, it's still heavy; it can be a pain to sit in when you have to sit without taking it off - depends on how you pack it.

One nice thing is that it's the equivalent of another carryon bag when you fly. I have a rollabord and a small toiletries bag that gets me waved onboard without comment, but they don't pay attention to what's in the vest, and it's another bag's worth of stuff that I don't want to check.

Everybody's mileage varies, so what you need won't match my needs. But my photo vest does yeoman's service for me as a go bag, travel bag, and - gasp - photo bag. :-> I have two vests, and I recommend trying them on and loading them up before buying if you go the photo vest route. Some vests have collars that are too far forward or too high or something, and they press on my neck really hard, making them unuseable to carry a load.
Posted by: Blast

Re: MOLLE Vest - 09/13/07 05:59 PM

I have to agree with Philip. A photo vest draws a lot less scrutiny than some tactical rig. I love mine when I fly or just when I'm wandering around town. Having gone through several looking for the "perfect vest" I've learned to stay away from ones with lots of small, overlapping pockets. My current vest is this one from The Sportsmans Guide. I like everything about it except the back pockets don't hold round water bottles comfortably.

-Blast
Posted by: ScouterMan

Re: MOLLE Vest - 09/13/07 06:21 PM

IzzyJG99, do you have a web address for MilSpec Tactical? Nothing shows up in a web search.

Thanks

Re: MOLLE Vest - 09/13/07 07:13 PM

I have tried the photo/fisherman vest before and I couldn't get the gear I wanted to fit around in a comfortable manner. I like the MOLLE vests that I used in the Army and they worked well. As far as air travel, I have been doing more of that lately. I can't seem to figure out what is or isn't allowed on any given day. Ever since 9/11 I have carried a ball point pen tucked in the button crease in a polo shirt. It can be sharp enough to do damage while in flight. I would not want to carry anything that may even be construed as survival gear on a commercial airline. No need to attract attention these days. Do I feel vunerable and kind of naked without my normal EDC while flying? Absolutely....But I don't have a better solution.

Re: MOLLE Vest - 09/13/07 07:22 PM

I've noticed several replies that might think that I would use a vest in an EDC capability or for special situations. I am looking at it from the BOB point of view and would not mind a rig that would tell others to stay away.
Posted by: Blast

Re: MOLLE Vest - 09/13/07 07:27 PM

Ah, that changes everything. In that case a photographer's vest would be the wrong choice.

-Blast

Re: MOLLE Vest - 09/13/07 07:33 PM

I like the look of this vest for an office/car kit. I think it would be a great way to store my stuff and grab easily.

Re: MOLLE Vest - 09/13/07 08:09 PM

Dear Santa Claus...

but can anyone tell me the difference between this:
http://www.specialforces.com/store/catalog/product_27264_OP_Survival_Vest.html

and this:
http://www.specialforces.com/store/catalog/product_26225_Search_and_Rescue_Vest.html

other than $95?
Posted by: DFW

Re: MOLLE Vest - 09/13/07 08:14 PM

Philip said:

"but they don't pay attention to what's in the vest, and
it's another bag's worth of stuff that I don't want to
check."

Gee, that's comforting. Remind me not to get on a plane with a terrorist who has the same idea.

DFW
Posted by: Alan_Romania

Re: MOLLE Vest - 09/13/07 11:15 PM

Originally Posted By: thseng

The more expensive one is much better built. It is built by SoTech and is built to withstand just about anything. A few members of our rescue squad own them and I can highly recomend it if you are going to be using it alot. It is a very heavy and hot vest, and I have recently switched to the AeroVest from TrueNorth to test for SAR use and am also looking into WolfGear's USAR Vest.

The lesser expenisve one I have no operational experience with, but it looks and feels well enough built for a vest that would see occasional use or reside in a trunk waiting for an emergency.

As for SpecialForces.com... they are good to go, they have great customer service and communication.

Posted by: Nomad

Re: MOLLE Vest - 09/14/07 12:12 AM

I frequently use a vest. Very useful for "day hike" and other "on the go" type of operation. There have been many discussions on the forum of vests. I suggest you do a search.
Posted by: philip

Re: MOLLE Vest - 09/14/07 04:02 AM

:-> I'm talking about the gate agents. I've already had the vest and contents x-rayed and subjec to the scrutiny of the TSA experts.
Posted by: ironraven

Re: MOLLE Vest - 09/14/07 05:45 AM

I generally have concerns about looking too tactical, particularly in an emergency. Joe Average is too likely to mistake you for a cop; cops are more likely to think you are up to no good. And when the Guard comes in, yeah, that's a risk I'd like to minimize. Nothing against Gaurdsmen, but they aren't cops and a lot of them are pretty tightly wound, it makes the odds interesting.

That being said, if you don't go with camo or black, and you don't have a ton of little pouches, you will be in a better position. Unfortunately, they don't make a lot of MOLLE gear in crowd friendly colors, other than a few navy blue items over at Emdom and a few red/orange items of unknown quality that Major's Surplus or Sportmans Guide might have. So I'd recommend solid green or tan/coyote. Try to color match your pouches as well as you can.

My ditch kit, which is part of BOB, is here . I use a two-piece MAV, which is much more comfortable than the one-peice MAV that I started with. My way of testing how a load rides is to go to my folks or up to a friend's place, both of which are on relatively minor roads, put them on, and take a four mile walk. When I started, I had a bunch of smaller pockets on the MAV-1. There must have been something karmic, becuase I saw more cops on those roads when I was testing that configuration than I've ever seen. And most of the cops slowed down or stopped. Nothing major, they were curious and thought it was kinda cool when I showed them what I was testing. But take it off a back road with a lot of stressed out people, and it isn't as pleasant a situation.

As it is now, I've been passed by cops on the same roads, and they just ignore it; it's also been seen by various people on foot, and they ask were my fishing pole is. (I tell them it is a telescoping one in my pouch if they are my parent's more dingy neighbors, or most of the truth.) So, I would say solid neutral color and big pockets are good. I've used patches with velcro in the past, but I'm thinking I'll see if I can find a second hand fleece lined vest or something, and make fleece patches for it so it really looks like a fishing vest when the time comes.

Now, I guess my question is, how much gear is in your BOB? I like this guy, becuase if this is all I have or I'm using the small school pack I keep in my car, I can wear it like a lumbar pack. But it is only a chest rig- if I need more stuff, I need a real pack.

If you are thinking something bigger than this, and you don't mind the price, how about the Camelbak Delta-5 vest? That gives you a 100 ounce bladder right off the get go. And it has enough space for 2, possibly 3 with a belt, buttpacks like the CountyComm EOD bags I used or the Emdom Wideload/Fatty Wideload on the back, and one more low on the front on each side, with a smaller pouch (like the MOLLE canteen pouch or the SpecOps X-6) higher up. Downside is that you start getting into real money for your nylon and you haven't added anything useful yet. Just keep in mind that you are going to look like you've gained about two hundred pounds. smile

I have a friend who is doing something like this with a vest made on a modified LBV-88 pattern but set up for MOLLE, and he's able to get most of a packload into it except for a real tent or sleeping bag, but he has rolled up wool blanket and tarp attached to it.

Another option might be a hunter's vest. Think the photographer vest, but with bigger (but fewer) pockets. A lot of them are set up with shotshell loops, which you might not want, but Eagle Industries makes a very nice hunters vest that used to be available in orange and red years and years ago. I know they are popular with game wardens so I can't image they've gone out of production.

Re: MOLLE Vest - 09/14/07 02:04 PM

Thanks for the info Alan. I assumed they were both made by the same mfg. but I guess the cheaper one is a clone.

When I think back about how long it took me to get my gear the way I wanted it, I'm thinking that I might want to start with MOLLE so that I can change things around. Gear is a very individual thing and I'll bet any fixed vest is always going to have exactly the wrong size and number of pouches. I'll bet that the black pouch in the photo is your GPS smile

Just for kicks I went on an imaginary shopping spree at Cheaper Than Dirt:

Item # MOLLE-434 MOLLE Tactical Vest OD GREEN Mag Pockets, Mesh, Adjustable $19.97 $19.97
Item # MOLLE-450 MOLLE Ammo Pouch OD GREEN 7x6.5x3" Spill Proof Ammo Bag $11.97 $23.94
Item # MOLLE-453 MOLLE EMT Pouch OD GREEN 7x5x2.5" Zipper Closure $7.97 $15.94
Item # MOLLE-439 MOLLE Radio Pouch OD GREEN Hook & Loop Fasteners to Close, L or R Handed $9.97 $9.97
Item # MOLLE-302 MOLLE Deployment Bag OD Green 11.5x5.5x6" Compress Divided $12.97 $12.97
Item # MOLLE-341 MOLLE Gadget Bag OD Flap Closure, Zippered Pocket $9.97 $9.97
Item # MOLLE-452 MOLLE Buttpack 15x15x8 OD Green Three Pockets, Fully Lined $27.97 $27.97
Item # MOLLE-436 MOLLE Utility Pouch OD Green 8.5x4.5x3.5" Dual Zippers $11.97 $11.97
Item # MOLLE-456 MOLLE Hydration System OD GRN Carrier 14x6.5x3" Heavy Bladdr $19.97 $19.97

Product Cost $152.67

I doubt the quality would be anywhere near good enough, but it might be worth it to try it out, find the flaws, and then sell it all on ebay when I upgrade to something mission-ready.
Posted by: marvin

Re: MOLLE Vest - 09/14/07 03:35 PM

Good places to find vests/pouches/etc:

www.skdtac.com
www.optactical.com

I've bought from both and was fully satisfied.
Posted by: SwampDonkey

Re: MOLLE Vest - 09/14/07 05:41 PM

Hi,

For around 15 years I have worn while gun hunting a flouresent orange Hunters Vest with many pockets and built-in backpack that I bought at Cabelas for around $60.00.

It was a great piece of clothing as it carried all my hunting gear plus I could stored my extra insulating or waterproof clothing in the expandable backpack/game-pouch. It was also the colour required by law while gun hunting so it helped prevent me from being mistaken for a game and shot.

The problem with the vest was the combination of both the required colour and the large capacity; while in the field I could never take the vest off, therefore I always had to support the weight of all my equipment stored in it.

Recently I have changed to a lighter orange vest and just carry my EDC items, plus the essential hunting equipment on my person. The heavier hunting specific equipment I carry in an orange backpack so I can remove it when I get to my watch, when I need a break (e.g. lunch) or when I travel in a vehicle.

I may just feel the weight of my old heavily loaded vest more now that I am getting older; I like to think that I am just getting smarter.

Mike
Posted by: Alan_Romania

Re: MOLLE Vest - 09/15/07 12:15 AM

Yup, black pouch is my GPS. I completely understand the desire to fiddle with gear until it is just right. My kits change regularly as I tweek the contents etc.

While that vest is a great stand along kit for some SAR operations like mounted ops or short foot patrols it has extreme limitations and VERY uncomfortable with a pack. Not an uncommon problem with vest setups. A MAV like Ironraven mentioned is a great option for a BOB "vest" you can carry a good quantity of necesities and still carry a pack comfortably.

I prefer a smaller chest rig, Eagle Industries' Universal Chest Rig mostly because it is smaller and fills a wider range of fuctions for me. SKD Tactical (who I will second as a great vendor) offers a slimmer version of Eagle's Universal Chest Rig that gives you pals webbing inplace of the large radio (etc) pockets to customize your setup.

Your options for a vest or chest rig are limitless. If you aren't in a great hurry and can spend some time planing/researching you should be able to find what you need. Make a list of what you want to carry and how, than GOOGLE is your friend.
Posted by: ironraven

Re: MOLLE Vest - 09/15/07 03:07 AM

Don't waste your time with the CDT junk.
Posted by: Shadow_oo00

Re: MOLLE Vest - 09/21/07 06:34 PM

If your still looking for a molle vest I ran across this on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/US-GI-MILITARY-MOLLE...1QQcmdZViewItem

Looks like they have 99 of them so there is no pressure......lol
Posted by: jamesraykenney

Re: MOLLE Vest - 09/21/07 08:52 PM

Originally Posted By: thseng

The Survival vest looks like is is made of a LOT thinner material, and the S&R vest has MOLE attachments on the shoulder straps. The survival vest can be had with a gun but rest and a hidden holster.
Posted by: True_North

Re: MOLLE Vest - 11/26/07 07:38 PM

If anyone with ETS would like to demo the True North Aero-Vest for 60 days and get it dirty, kindly call Customer Service 800-873-5725 x174 and mention the ETS Forum. We'll ship it to you and then you're responsible for shipping it back or purchasing it if it changes your world for the better.
Posted by: True_North

Re: MOLLE Vest - 11/26/07 07:41 PM

Originally Posted By: philip
I use a photographer's vest and cargo pants for my stuff. As others have pointed out, the vest isn't as hard on my back as the backpack I used to wear, and backpacks are notoriously hard to get stuff out of quickly.

See
http://lifehacker.com/software/screenshot-tour/show-us-your-go-bag-part-2-292427.php
for photos of a variety of go-bags, go-pants, and go-vests (this is part 2; it has a link to part 1).

Ammo does fit in photo vests, by the way:
http://lifehacker.com/photogallery/show-us-your-go-bag-part-1/2388489

A photo vest is a real article of clothing, so I get more use out of it than the thing that's called a "vest" in the phrase MOLLE vest. I wear it in airports with my walkie-talkie, water, TSA-passable survival stuff, paperback books, magazines, etc., without attracting unwanted attention by looking like a paramilitary wannabe.

The problems with a photo vest are - it's not padded, so stuff pokes you and you have to be careful setting it down or sitting down if you have breakable stuff in it; if it's hot, it makes you sweat less than a backpack, but you still sweat; it can be hard to get into if you have a bulky wrist watch that catches on the armholes; although the I much prefer the weight distribution in the vest over that of a backpack, it's still heavy; it can be a pain to sit in when you have to sit without taking it off - depends on how you pack it.

One nice thing is that it's the equivalent of another carryon bag when you fly. I have a rollabord and a small toiletries bag that gets me waved onboard without comment, but they don't pay attention to what's in the vest, and it's another bag's worth of stuff that I don't want to check.

Everybody's mileage varies, so what you need won't match my needs. But my photo vest does yeoman's service for me as a go bag, travel bag, and - gasp - photo bag. :-> I have two vests, and I recommend trying them on and loading them up before buying if you go the photo vest route. Some vests have collars that are too far forward or too high or something, and they press on my neck really hard, making them unuseable to carry a load.

Try this vest out Adventure Vest it is designed by a Photographer in Seattle, WA.

Posted by: Meline

Re: MOLLE Vest - 11/26/07 10:05 PM

Go through AAFES to Brigade Quartermasters (actiongear.com for every one else) for a military discount.

Look in Home > Tactical - Vests, Holsters, Rappelling, Ropes > Tactical Load Bearing Assault Vests & Gear Pouches.

For a BOB aplication, Camelbak's DELTA-5 would be a good option as it already carries 102 oz of water for you.
Posted by: NeighborBill

Re: MOLLE Vest - 11/26/07 11:20 PM

Love to demo it, but I'm flying a desk for the next four--five months. Any running around I get to do will have to be next spring....