How do you dry a flexible waterresevoir ?

Posted by: Tjin

How do you dry a flexible waterresevoir ? - 05/19/02 12:38 PM

i got a platypus hoser 60oz and a mil-spec "floation bladder/ collapsible canteen, 5QT " for a wile now, but i havent seen both of them totaly dry since the day i start using them even though i sometimes let it dry for a hole week. so any suggestion how to dry it ? because my way ( hanging it up-side-down with some air in it ) of drying doesnt work
Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: How do you dry a flexible waterresevoir ? - 05/19/02 01:37 PM

I haven't been able to dry my 5 qt G.I. canteen either. But then, I try to keep it full of fresh water anyway. There are replacement units of the inner bladder periodically available. I don't think it is a major problem if the water is treated and frequently renewed.

Re: How do you dry a flexible waterresevoir ? - 05/19/02 02:40 PM

but how do you store it for a long time, wenn your not using it ?
Posted by: Blues

Re: How do you dry a flexible waterresevoir ? - 05/19/02 02:47 PM

I don't know if this will work for you, but on CamelBak bladders I often blow them up with air, insert a wadded up paper towel and shake. The paper towel absorbs much of the lingering moisture.<br><br>Another thing to do is to use something like a plastic hanger, straw or other "device" to prop the container and mouth open (from the inside) and let it hang dry while it drips out.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: How do you dry a flexible waterresevoir ? - 05/19/02 03:36 PM

<br>If you're talking about the bladders with the tube attached, I just route the tube inside the bladder and it holds it open enough to dry out.<br><br>

Re: How do you dry a flexible waterresevoir ? - 05/19/02 03:48 PM

well camelbacks are easy to dry. i use the hanger trick and it dry's in one day. but i was talking about bladders withs doesnt compress it self like the camelback resevoir's. so they will have some air in it, so the "put a thing in it" trick won't work, because that trick is only to make some airspace, withs is already there in these resevoirs.
Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: How do you dry a flexible waterresevoir ? - 05/19/02 03:48 PM

I just keep it filled. I rotate the water ( my suquaro cactus loves iodine) periodically. A periodic dose of baking soda also helps eliminate odors.
Posted by: dchinell

Re: How do you dry a flexible waterresevoir ? - 05/20/02 08:32 PM

I got this tip from a friend of mine who's into adventure racing and has two or three bladder-based hydration systems. He doesn't dry them. He just stores them in the "crisper" section of his fridge. Rinsing before use and before storage plus refridgeration seems to kee the nasty stuff from growing.
Posted by: PeterR

Re: How do you dry a flexible waterresevoir ? - 05/20/02 11:29 PM

I have adapted a plastic coated clothes hangar for the purpose, by looping it back on itself, taking care of course not to have any bare wire end which could puncture the bladder. <br>But putting the bladder into the freezer is a good idea. Just have to make sure my wife doesn't bury it under the ice-cream and frozen peas.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: How do you dry a flexible waterresevoir ? - 05/21/02 05:42 PM

The "new" camelbak resevoirs have a large mouth opening so that many people can put there whole hand inside to dry / clean w/ a paper towel. <br><br>Also baking soda, rice, or a combination of the two cleans out a stale resevoir well. Just throw some in, add a little water, shake like crazy. Rinse.

Re: How do you dry a flexible waterresevoir ? - 05/22/02 01:15 PM

well i was talking about other type of flexible water resevoirs with those tiny mounth openings...