CERT & Practical training

Posted by: adam

CERT & Practical training - 09/06/07 07:09 PM

I finally found the local contact for CERT in my area. I called to get information on the class. One thing that immediately made me question taking the class was the lack of any practical or hands on training. Having had many first aid/CPR classes I know the importance of actually doing it instead of watching a video of it being done.

The question is how important is practical training? Would you spend one night a week for 13 weeks sitting in classroom listening to a lecture with no hands on experience?

Adam
Posted by: Blast

Re: CERT & Practical training - 09/06/07 08:33 PM

No way in hell. Tying a bandage or putting an arm in a sling looks easy on video but doing it in real life shows you how tricky it actually is. There are few "second takes" in first aid.

-Blast
Posted by: jmarkantes

Re: CERT & Practical training - 09/06/07 09:07 PM

Our CERT training (NET in Portland) had some hands-on in most classes, and a final exercise on the last day where we were able to practice everything. They also have more training available year round after your initial classes. I thought pretty much all the training nation-wide was somewhat standardized through DHS, so figure there'll be some hands-on.

This saturday actually there's an 8 hour mockup where we'll be able to do everything and then some. Should be fun.
J
Posted by: Schwert

Re: CERT & Practical training - 09/06/07 09:47 PM

While the CERT training packages are pretty much standard, each jurisdiction likely has leaway in how the material is presented.

Ours was about 50/50 coursework and hands on. Without the hands on it would have been less than ideal.
Posted by: SwampDonkey

Re: CERT & Practical training - 09/06/07 09:49 PM

Hi Adam,

My job requires I do a lot of yearly requalification and the more realistic/practical our training program has become the more qualified and capable we are to overcome difficulties. The way our training program has improved is by increasing the amount of hands-on, high stress scenerios that we are confronted with.

Early this spring I became involved in a serious life-threatening situation and found that I instantly reverted back to my training; the situation did not feel unknown to me, because I had been there before (in training) and worked through it then.

I have never taken CERT training but would recommend that you take the course which would provided you with the most hands-on, practical training as possible.

Take care,

Mike
Posted by: ScouterMan

Re: CERT & Practical training - 09/06/07 10:00 PM

I can't imagine taking any safety-related training, regardless of subject, without at least some hands-on training. I completely agree with Blast. Trying to do anything in an emergency situation without having tried it before is asking for trouble.

I'm a haz mat guy and I couldn't imagine trying to do a full Class A dressout in Alpha suits and forced air without having practiced it several times.
Posted by: MDinana

Re: CERT & Practical training - 09/07/07 12:26 AM

Like others say, hands-on is crucial. Probably more so, and not said outright, is that hands-on training is practically useless unless you continue to practice. Maybe not every day for the rest of your life, but at least until you've got it down cold. Think of riding a bike; it may be years, but you can do it again. Why? Cuz most kids ride for daily for several years.

ScouterMan mentions his need to practice, and I concur. I've had some Hazmat training, with the Class A suit, but only twice. I'd never try to do it in real life, simply becuase I never got it down well the first time.

I'd try looking for something better, maybe via FDNY (despite the probably long commute for you), or in NJ.
Posted by: adam

Re: CERT & Practical training - 09/07/07 12:07 PM

In the end I decided to postpone taking the class. Further inquires have yielded a bit more information, they may have practical training available in the future. I’m going to “gently” suggest they work a little harder on implementing practical training into the class as soon as possible.

Adam
Posted by: CANOEDOGS

Re: CERT & Practical training - 09/07/07 01:59 PM

it looks like that might be a class thats hands out the
"paper"you need to move on to more advanced CERT.