My Jungle Survival Kit

Posted by: Anonymous

My Jungle Survival Kit - 05/18/02 05:51 PM

This is what I normally pack along when Im out there, either teaching survival skills, leading expeditions or tracking down rogue wild elephants for relocation in Malaysia.<br>1. Masking tape or ducktape as some people call it - handy to fix broken rucsacs, secure shelters, support bandages, emergency trail making, tying sound traps made of bamboo<br>2. Machete - handmade<br>3. Wrist watch as a compass>Boy scouts knowledge!!!!!><br>4. Insect repellent - main use besides as a potential firestarter, sound explosive and handheld flame thrower in case I have to use it!<br>5. Cooking oil - main use besides as a potential firestarter and strong herbal liniment against stings, bites, sprains, swellings and bruises when mixed with ginger roots<There are 47 types of wild ginger in the jungles><br>6. A good sense of humour while preparing for the worst!<br>As for ropes...I get them from creepers, vines, certain ferns and rattans. Shelters from palm leaves and fronds. Water bottle, handheld weapons and traps from bamboo.<br>As for sleeping, I always sleep on steep terrain as it'd be extremely difficult for predators to creep on me without making noise and probability of sounding the alarm via the bamboo sound traps! Works for me even while in the special forces days!<br>If you have to sleep on flat terrain, look for open areas and also where there're are armies of fierce red ants marching on fixed routes - sleep in between and no snakes, scorpions or centipedes will reach you!:o)
Posted by: Tjin

Re: My Jungle Survival Kit - 05/19/02 03:54 PM

how does that ginger roots with cooking oil work ? do you crush it and mix it with the oil or something ? and do the roots need to be fresh or can you use ginseng from ginseng-teabags to ( dryed ) ?
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: My Jungle Survival Kit - 05/20/02 12:50 AM

yes...crush ginger and mix it with cooking oil. The ginger must be fresh.