???s about a rifle

Posted by: REDDOG79

???s about a rifle - 09/04/07 12:36 AM

I have just recieved from my GF's grandfather a .22 LR bolt action rife with a tubular magazine. The funny thing is that there is absolutely no manufactureer's name, no caliber designation, (I do know it is a 22LR) and no serial or model number. The only thing it says on it is RANGER. I have tried to research it but there isn't much information to go by. I think it may be a Steven's rifle but i have learned RANGER is a house name for the SEARS company (which means many manufacturers could have made it). I have taken it to the range but it has a broke firing pin. I haven't gone as far as disassembling it yet. But if anyone has one of these rifles i would appreciate any info that is given.

It is a nice handling little rifle and I would like to get it into working order as it was given to us for my son to have when he is older.
Posted by: MDinana

Re: ???s about a rifle - 09/04/07 12:47 AM

Sounds like the same type of rifle my friend had, and I got to shoot last year. It was kind of fun working the tiny bolt. Unfortunatly, I only got to use it once, and then it was stolen, so I can't get any info on it (if indeed it's the same kind). Enjoy it!
Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: ???s about a rifle - 09/04/07 02:48 AM

A broken firing pin on a .22 rimfire is caused by A. simple fatique and or B. dry firing ( empty chamber.) This may also compromise the integrity of the breechface and chamber seal. There were countless retail firearms made, some by familiar names and not a few by long forgotten makers. Your piece can probably be put back into safe working order. Just remember that a .22 as introductory training firearm needs a decent degree of accuracy,site system and trigger; not to mention safety features. We certainly don't want to learn how to drive in either a Ferrari or Packard, fun as that may be.
Posted by: Jackpine_Savage

Re: ???s about a rifle - 09/04/07 03:15 AM

Give Brownells a call at 800-741-0015, or Gun Parts Corp. (old Nuemrich arms) at 845-679-4867. If the part is available one of them should have it and be able to help.

Take Care and Stay Safe
Posted by: gunsmith

Re: ???s about a rifle - 09/04/07 11:27 AM

If you would post a photo, perhaps someone could give a good guess as to make & model, to help in your part search.

To be honest, as a house brand gun with no serial #, it was made before 1968 = 39+ years ago, chances are that parts will not be available, leaving you with limited options.

On the flip side, "Gun does not fire" does not always equal "Broken firing pin", several things can be the cause of the malfunction.

First things first, disassemble, clean, inspect......See what you've got, then you,ll know what you need.
Posted by: CJK

Re: ???s about a rifle - 09/04/07 03:36 PM

If you or someone you know is an NRA member, they have access to experts.....there is a division that will answer members questions. You will need to provide EVERYTHING you know or can find about the firearm......even if you are not a gunsmith, you should be able to describe ANY markings on the gun. They may not have a lot of info on it but they may be able to give you some idea of where to begin. Another thing to try is a gun forum....someone there may know it.

Re: ???s about a rifle - 09/06/07 01:33 AM

Chris,
the firing pin is either broke or the spring is really weak. You can see where the end of the firing pin is not rounded anymore it is actually flat and though this is an old rifle i believe it is broke. The round that i tried to fire out of it had an imprint on it and yes i know i should have left it in the barrel pointed downrange in case it went off. I loaded it in my revolver and it fired just fine. As far as this rifle being my teaching gun for my kids I have a Marlin semi auto that will suffice for that as well as a 22 revolver.

Jackpine,
Thanks for the numbers but i have to find a model number or figure out what parts i need first.

Gunsmith,
I have disassembled the rifle as far as i was willing to go before i test fired it. basically i took the one thumbscrew loose and removed the stock and cleaned it soon after recieving it. I have not figured out how to remove the bolt from it yet (I really haven't sat down and taken my time with it). I am thinking that if/when i get the bolt removed I can disassemble the bolt and find some new parts for it.

CJK,
The only markings i have found on it is the word RANGER. there are no proof marls or numbers anywhere on the rifle that i have been able to see.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: ???s about a rifle - 09/06/07 02:25 AM

"...You can see where the end of the firing pin is not rounded anymore it is actually flat..."

Most (all?) .22 rimfire firing pins are flat, usually rectangular in shape, not round like a centerfire. My guess is that either the spring is "weak," or more likely just gumbed up with crud. A good cleaning might get it shooting again...
Posted by: benjammin

Re: ???s about a rifle - 09/07/07 12:07 PM

When one of my 22s quit firing reliably, it was because the firing pin had been peened down so far that it hit a frame stop as the pin contacted the rim of the case, resulting in an inadequate dent for detonating the primer charge. This happened because it got dry-fired a lot by others.
Posted by: xbanker

Re: ???s about a rifle - 09/07/07 03:19 PM

Originally Posted By: l33tYoDuh

No mfg stamp?
No SN?
Not traceable?

That is an interesting bit of trivia to tell your daughter's
first teenage boyfriend along with your wealth of
trivia about composting :-)

Now there is a useful preparedness tip. grin
Posted by: Blast

Re: ???s about a rifle - 09/07/07 04:46 PM

Quote:
That is an interesting bit of trivia to tell your daughter's first teenage boyfriend along with your wealth of
trivia about composting :-)

YoDuh,

Have I ever told you how much I like having you here?

-Blast, father of two beautiful daughters and owner of a really nice shovel...
Posted by: frenchy

Re: ???s about a rifle - 09/07/07 08:18 PM

shovel .... shovel ..???.. confused
Oh, you mean shovel !! like in the movie "Keeping Mum" ???
Posted by: RayW

Re: ???s about a rifle - 09/07/07 10:33 PM

Will have to get my next door neighbor to give ya'll lessons on how to meet your daughters dates at the door. When his daughters were of dating age he would meet the date at the door wearing a cowboy hat, pointed toed boots, a big belt buckle, and a holster with a 357. He would shake the young mans hand while asking in his best Texas drawl, son, what time are you going to have my little girl home tonight. When he did this the first time to his eldest daughter she didn't speak to him for a few weeks, but after a few "meetings" she realized that guys were very respectful and would ask her dad to "dress up" to meet a date.
Posted by: JCWohlschlag

Totally off-topic, but meh… - 09/07/07 10:41 PM

“Uh, I don’t know, sir… what’s acceptable for you?”

“Have her home by 10:30, son!”

“End of October?!? All right!!!”
Posted by: duckear

Re: Totally off-topic, but meh… - 09/08/07 08:03 PM

Guns don't kill people, fathers with pretty daughters do.
Posted by: wildman800

Re: ???s about a rifle - 09/09/07 11:35 PM

Don't forget to mention the access that you have to 1,000's of acres of woodlands!

It is also a good thing to have photos of yourself displaying various kills in the wilds. My DD2's boyfriends were really impressed with the photos I have of all of the "2-legged" kills that I have made in the field. I'm lying about the 2-legged kills, but I do have a few of the 4-legged kills that were within his eyesight. I usually found it time to clean my guns or sharpen my large knives about the time the BF was due to pick her up. Needless to say, I always invited them into the house and into the room where I was working. My shadowbox and swords would also be close enough for them to get a good look at it.

Remember, you only have a short amount of time to impress upon the lad what his actions can cause to occur, afterwards!!!!
Posted by: Blast

Re: ???s about a rifle - 09/10/07 04:11 PM

Quote:
Don't forget to mention the access that you have to 1,000's of acres of woodlands!

Not to mention this land is filled with quicksand, alligators and feral pigs. smirk

Yep, years of pent-up sadism will be unleashed on the high-school boys who try dating my daughters.

-Blast

Here is an update - 09/11/07 01:39 AM

I have finally figured out how to get the bolt removed from the rifle and I have stripped the bolt down to the firing pin. I have come to these conclusions: (I am not a gunsmith so I know I can and may be wrong)

All springs seem to be in good working order

The firing pin is in two pieces (I don't know if it was welded together at some point and broke cleanly or if it is suposed to be in two pieces) the only way i can explain it is like a plunger the spring from the rear of the bolt hits a plunger shaped piece and that in turn hits the firing pin through the hole in the bolt. I couldn't find the digital camera when i had it apart ( it was in my GF's purse and she was out with the kids) But i am plannning on posting some pictures when i get it apart next time.

I was able to put it all back togther.

I think the part of the firing pin that impacts the cartridge is too short. How to rectify this I am not sure of yet.

Thanks everyone for their help and Yoduh while I am about 5 or so years from dealing with the BF situation I am pretty sure i can handle it as i was the big brother and instead of my dad cleaning the guns when my sister got picked up it was I. But i like how your thoughts paralell mine