Christmas Gift?

Posted by: Frank2135

Christmas Gift? - 08/27/07 05:48 PM

If you read just a few posts around here you quickly gather that 99% of us think it's challenging and actually quite fun to gather the info and gear to put together a PSK. It also seems that at least 50% of us admit we have close friends, relatives and significant others who are not similarly interested in the nuts and bolts of emergency preparedness.

So it may be a good thing that the "commercial" kits out there are growing in popularity. While we "purists" may sneer at them, it allows those under-prepared folks we know and love easier (all right, you know you want to say it: "lazier") access to gear that may give them a better chance to survive.

Even Herrington's, which started out as a golf enthusiast's catalog (and before you ask, I have only a vague idea of which end of a golf club you hold on to), has this .

Looking it over, it doesn't seem half bad. The price is a little high, but again, not that bad. I'm thinking of giving one of these to one of those under-prepared relatives for Christmas so that I'll sleep better at night.

What do y'all think?

Frank2135
Posted by: Blast

Re: Christmas Gift? - 08/27/07 07:32 PM

That same kit was available at Dillard's (A Macy's clone) two years ago. A lot of members sneered at it, but privatly admitted it might have some value for non-ETS types.

I figure it's a good thing if it makes someone less likely to come begging to me...

-Blast
Posted by: big_al

Re: Christmas Gift? - 08/27/07 08:21 PM

You might even try one of these for christmas
http://www.surviveall.com/vest.htm

Posted by: Blast

Re: Christmas Gift? - 08/27/07 08:24 PM

Wow, the only thing missing from that vest is a big bullseye and the words "Loot Me" on the back. smirk

-Blast
Posted by: JCWohlschlag

Re: Christmas Gift? - 08/27/07 08:37 PM

You just totally made me spit soda on the floor. (I’ve learned to reflexively miss the keyboard or screen.)
Posted by: Nicodemus

Re: Christmas Gift? - 08/27/07 09:49 PM

A couple of years ago I gave out some PSKs to friends and family members as holiday gifts. They went over pretty well for the most part, and I got feedback from a few people that really liked them and wanted to know how to make a more complete kit.

I built the PSKs from the ground up so that the equipment would be of good quality. However, the price per kit soon became very expensive.

I was able to get a few deals on bulk orders and during sales at various stores, but I did a lot of shopping around. I built the kits over the course of a few months to do as much pricing as possible before actually purchasing items and that helped a little.

I think each kit ended up costing around $150.00 if I remember correctly.

In the end I figured that it would have saved me a good chunk of money and time if I had started out with something like the Ritter PSK and replaced and/or added equipment that I wanted to include.

Beyond all that, it was fun putting the kits together except when I was hand winding heavy duty thread and fishing line on plastic bobbins, and rewrapping duct tape around bic pen carcasses. If you have a variable speed drill you can take a lot of work out of the equation on those chores.

Regarding the kit you linked:
It looks to me as if you're really paying for the backpack because the list of included equipment is really vague and they only site things that you can pick up pretty cheaply. It also appears that the food and water is an extra expense. Not that I would buy pouched water over telling someone to keep water stored for emergencies anyway. I could be wrong though.

If you really like the Life Gear "Wings of Life" backpack, buying direct may save you $25.00. I don't know what the shipping policies are for both sites, though.
Posted by: SwampDonkey

Re: Christmas Gift? - 08/27/07 10:35 PM

Hi,

We often exchange small gifts at my hunt camp on the night prior to opening day of a big game season (we all grew-up together and have been hunting as a group for 30 years). The items are usually like small LED lights, or handwarmers, one year a member took a trip to Europe and brought us each back a pin-on silver hunting emblem (very cool).

Last year I built mini-survival kits for my hunting partners and son. They were based on an Altoids Kit filled with items I learned about on ETS. The kits only cost me about $20.00 each to make but I put a lot of care into the construction and packing.

My partners are great guys but not the type of people to spend months reasearching and building a survival kit. I know they will carry the small kits I gave them both because it is functional and because it was from me. I therefore feel better knowing that they at least have a minimum of essential items with them when we are on an adventure in a remote place.

Who knows, with that small Mini-kit the life they save could be mine.

Mike