Ranger Rick's updated necklace

Posted by: GoatMan

Ranger Rick's updated necklace - 08/17/07 04:56 PM

Survival Necklace

Okay, I'm interested in knowing if anyone out there has purchased the current version of Ranger Rick's Survival Necklace ? It is more current than the one in Doug's review. What I'm most interested in is the quality of the saw , pinch light , and magnesium strip . I don't care much for the rest of it.

I love the potential of the small magnesium strip and will probably order a few for EDC and various kits. It has a built in striker so there is no apparent need for other types.

Has anyone used his pinch light? Does it compare at all to the Photon or a Pulsar? The price is right, but is it too good to be true?

How about the wire saw. While no wire saw is a good saw in my opinion, how does it compare against what is on the market or Doug's recommended premium version?

Thanks in advance for the feedback!
Posted by: Leigh_Ratcliffe

Re: Ranger Rick's updated necklace - 08/17/07 07:15 PM

To be perfectly honest I don't like the necklace. As a necklace. As an E.D.C. ring its ok and a fair price. But you can do better. In my considered judgement you would do better to put
On a length of cord around your neck:

A ferro rod.
A small Suunto Clipper compass or Silver (Brunton) S.E.R.E 40.
A spark-lite.
Tinder for same in a small capsule.
Whistle and a generic pinch light.
15' cord. Para cord for choice.

Put a signal mirror and other bits in one of these neck pouches with it. Consider it your last ditch under your shirt kit.

Only wire saw on the market worth considering is the B.C.B. They are not brilliant. But they are better than nothing.
Posted by: GarlyDog

Re: Ranger Rick's updated necklace - 08/17/07 08:58 PM

From experience, an unprotected ferro rod will react with your sweat and start to pit and will disintegrate surprisingly quickly if you wear it on a neck-lanyard.

Re: Ranger Rick's updated necklace - 08/17/07 09:18 PM

Yea, I'm not interested in the necklace idea either. I wouldn't put it around my neck, nor would I even purchase the necklace. I'm only interested in the three items. The saw, pinch light and mag stick. They would either be items on a key chain or in a kit.

Sorry I wasn't more specific before.
Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: Ranger Rick's updated necklace - 08/17/07 11:28 PM

I have this recurring nightmare. I'm walking across the desert with vultures wheeling high overhead, snakes slithering in the sand and passing the dessicated bones of some French Foriegn legionaire from Fort Zinderhoff.And I am soooo overburdended with the PHOTON Light that replaced my minimag as everyday carry. I mean,if I could pare my kit down a few more ounces tugging on this lead rope wouldn't be so physically demanding ( turns around and urges the camel carrying my 40 liters of water to walk faster.)
Posted by: Alex

Re: Ranger Rick's updated necklace - 08/18/07 03:49 PM

Avoid Coleman's wire saw. Mine broke almost instantly at the hinge.
Posted by: Stu

Re: Ranger Rick's updated necklace - 08/18/07 04:30 PM

Due to posts made by rick here in the past, I've no desire to do business with him.
Posted by: Themalemutekid

Re: Ranger Rick's updated necklace - 08/18/07 05:13 PM

Why buy that setup if you're not gonna use all of it? I'd say to buy those three items separately. You'll be better off.

Re: Ranger Rick's updated necklace - 08/19/07 01:59 AM

I guess I'm not very clear. Forget the necklace. For the context of this post, only think of the light, the saw and the mag strip. That is the only items I might purchase. I just need feedback on those three items.

Again - FORGET THE NECKLACE - It was only used as a reference point since two of the items I'm curious about are NEW to the necklace and not commented on in Doug's original review.

Posted by: Leigh_Ratcliffe

Re: Ranger Rick's updated necklace - 08/19/07 06:02 AM

Problem:
Originally Posted By: GarlyDog
From experience, an unprotected ferro rod will react with your sweat and start to pit and will disintegrate surprisingly quickly if you wear it on a neck-lanyard.

solution: Coat it with nail varnish.

Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Ranger Rick's updated necklace - 08/19/07 01:52 PM

Or shrink tubing...
Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: Ranger Rick's updated necklace - 08/19/07 07:53 PM

Wire saws date from W W 2 british escape kits and were sewn concealed into uniforms. As such, they were meant to quietly cut through seasoned wood in barracks, fences, box car floors etc. A half century of experience has produced the best unit by BCB. The USAF saw works well, but is problematical with bulky turnbuckle handles, shorter blade length and simple availability. What exactly are we going to use a wire saw for? Producing small kindling may be done by hand and snpping to length. They are usefull as bone saws for disarticulating the grizz we shot with the AR 7 ( conversely, surgical bone saws are wretched for wood cutting.) Cutting larger firewood, lodgepoles,thrusting spears etc can be done with care and patience if a nicely finished end is required. If you can accomplish or delete any of these activities, you can just as well delete a wire saw.
Posted by: billym

Re: Ranger Rick's updated necklace - 08/20/07 01:07 AM

If you are interested in a small LED and a ferro rod take a look at the BSA Hotspark and a Photon X-light. For less than $15 you can have two great pieces of gear.
Sure you can buy knockoff "fauxtons" but the real ones are not too expensive and very reliable.
I am not a fan of magnesium shavings; maybe better than nothing but pretty useless IMO. The Hotspark gives off nice hot sparks with the back edge of most blades. It easily ignites all man-made tinders and many natural ones too.
These two items are the beginning of a good survival set up whether it is worn around the neck or not.

Posted by: Brangdon

Re: Ranger Rick's updated necklace - 08/20/07 11:41 AM

I've not purchased any of the items; it sounds like you plan to and I hope you write a review if you do.

I am not a big fan of magnesium for emergency fire-starting. Generally the wind blows the filings away before you can ignite them, and they only burn for a seconds. You need more tinder to turn that brief flame into a fire. Eg if you have a hexamine fuel tab and that fire rod, you'll be struggling to get the fuel to burn. A cigarette lighter is better.
Posted by: MedicineMan

Re: Ranger Rick's updated necklace - 08/28/07 09:32 AM

Hmmmm....maybe my magnesium shavings are different? but just two weeks ago with the youngest daughter in learning mode, we easily made a long burning filings pile...since they were 'cupped' in a leaf they couldnt blow away-so maybe increase the size of the pile.
As far as a neck survival kit I couldn't wear one...the irony is that I'm wearing a neck knife right now and had forgotten it was there until reading this thread!
Posted by: ArmyRangerRick

Re: Ranger Rick's updated necklace - 09/05/07 09:45 PM

GREETINGS GUYS & GALS!

SORRY I HAVE NOT HAD TIME TO MONITOR NOR CONTRIBUTE ANYTHING LATELY TO THIS FORUM. BUT I PREFER TO SPEND MOST OF MY [OFF] TIME "OUTDOORS" TEACHING AND TESTING SOMEONE ELSE'S PRODUCT. OR DOING SOMETHING MORE PRODUCTIVE, USEFUL AND ENTERTAINING THAN TO SIT ON MY BUTT BEHIND SOME COMPUTER SCREEN & KEYBOARD TRYING TO ANALYZE SOMEONE'S PRODUCT THAT'S LISTED ON THEIR WEBSITE.

IT ALWAYS AMAZES ME HOW SOME PEOPLE THINK THEY CAN THOROUGHLY EVALUATE A PRODUCT BY JUST LOOKING AT IT "WITHOUT PHYSICALLY TOUCHING AND TESTING IT."

AND SO THE REASON WHY I HAVE STOPPED BY IS TO ANSWER A FEW OF THESE FORUM COMMENTS BELOW. BECAUSE SOME OF YOU ETS FORUM MEMBERS HAVE CONTACTED ME OFF-LINE LETTING ME KNOW WHAT'S BEING SAID AND HAVE ASKED ME TO STOP BY FOR A FEW MINUTES TO PUT IN MY TWO CENTS. AND SO HERE GOES..

Goatman posted on 08/17/07: "...is it (Ranger Rick's New & Improved SOS Necklace) more current than the one in Doug's review. "

YES IT IS INDEED!!!! DOUG WAS SUPPOSE TO HAVE DONE ANOTHER REVIEW ON MY NEW & IMPROVED SOS SURVIVAL KIT, SAID HE WOULD DO THE NEW REVIEW AND POST IT ON THIS SITE AROUND APRIL (07) BUT AS YOU CAN SEE HE HAS NOT HAD TIME TO DO IT. HOPEFULLY HE WILL HAVE SOME TIME SOON TO DO IT TO PUT SOME OF YOUR QUESTIONS ABOUT MY NEW & IMPROVED KIT AT EASE, (HINT, HINT, HINT smile )

"...I wouldn't put it around my neck, nor would I even purchase the necklace. I'm only interested in the three items. The saw, pinch light and mag stick. They would either be items on a key chain or in a kit."

PERSONALLY.... THAT'S THE SAME WAY I FEEL ABOUT MOST TRADITIONAL "TIN CAN" SURVIVAL KITS. I HAVEN'T AND WOULDN'T PURCHASE NONE OF THOSE KITS NEITHER FOR THE SAME REASON. THEY CONTAIN TOO MUCH EXTRA USELESS STUFF THAT I DON'T NEED.

LIKE YOU GOATMAN, I, TOO AM ONLY INTERESTED IN CARRYING CERTAIN ITEMS IN OR ATTACHED TO MY SURVIVAL KIT AND THAT'S WHAT INSPIRED ME TO COME UP WITH MY OWN SURVIVAL KITS - MY SOS NECKLACE, KEYCHAIN AND PARA-CORD SURVIVAL KIT. AND LIKE I CLEARLY STATE ON MY WEBSITE (www.THERANGERDIGEST.COM). AND IF YOU'RE ONE OF THOSE WHO DON'T LIKE WEARING A SURVIVAL KIT AROUND YOUR NECK, THEN CARRY THE ITEMS IN YOUR POCKET, ON A KEYCHAIN OR ATTACHED TO SOMETHING ELSE.

BY THE WAY, WHY DO MOST SURVIVAL KIT COMPANIES/MFG WHO SELL THEIR POCKET SURVIVAL KITS IN A SMALL TIN CAN CLAIM YOU CAN ALSO USE THE TIN CAN TO COOK AND BOIL DRINKING WATER IN IT. GO FIGURE THAT ONE OUT, MAYBE FOR A ONE TIME USE BUT THAT'S IT. BUT I PERSONALLY WOULDN'T USE IT FOR NEITHER, NOT WORTH IT.

Leigh Ratcliffe posted on 08/17/07 "...to be perfectly honest I don't like the necklace. As a necklace. As an E.D.C. ring its ok and a fair price. But you can do better.."

AS I STATE OR CHALLENGE ON MY WEBSITE, (QUOTE) Think ya can find these same items selling cheaper somewhere else? No problem, go ahead and make my day, I dare ya to try. If you do, prove it to me by showing me where and if you're right I'll not only match their price but I'll let you have my product(s) for 10% LESS than what they are selling'em. Dare to challenge me? (UNQUOTE)

IT ALSO SAYS ON MY WEBSITE (QUOTE) Not completely satisfied with my survival products? No problem, provided they have not been used, worn or assembled, you have 30 days to return it via “insured mail” for a full 100% refund. (UNQUOTE) TO THE BEST OF MY KNOWLEDGE NOT ONE PERSON HERE ON ETS OR ANYWHERE ELSE HAS YET COMPLAIN NOR TO ASK FOR THEIR MONEY BACK. AND IT ALSO SAYS

"..in my considered judgement you would do better to put on a length of cord around your neck..."

ANY COMPANY OR MANUFACTURER WHO SELLS A PRODUCT THAT IS WORN AROUND THE NECK AND IT FAILS TO BREAK APART SHOULD THE INDIVIDUAL [WEARING IT] SNAGS IT ON SOMETHING, THAT COMPANY/MFG CAN BE HELD LIABLE AND SUED.

AND THAT GUYS & GALS IS THE REASON WHY MY SURVIVAL NECKLACE COMES WITH A BREAKAWAY SAFETY CHAIN AND INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO SAFELY WEAR IT AND WHO SHOULD NOT BE WEARING IT. TO WEAR A LENGTH OF CORD AROUND YOUR NECK, ANY TYPE, PARA OR NON-PARA AIN'T SMART BUT S-T-U-P-I-D. BECAUSE SHOULD YOU GET THAT CORD AROUND YOUR NECK SNAGGED OR CAUGHT ON SOMETHING....

"...only wire saw on the market worth considering is the B.C.B...."

DUH? THAT'S WHERE MY WIRE SAW MATERIAL COMES FROM, I HAVE TO PURCHASE IT FROM BCB INT'L IN 500 METER ROLLS AND THEN I HAVE TO CUT IT UP. THE REASON WHY I DON'T LIST BCB INT'L ON MY SITE AS THE SOURCE WHERE I GET MY WIRE SAW MATERIAL IS BECAUSE AS A GENERAL RULE COMPANIES ARE NOT SUPPOSE TO RELEASE NOR DISCLOSE THE NAME OF THEIR SUPPLIERS. SO NOW YOU KNOW MY SOURCE, HAPPY NOW?""

Garleydog posted on 08/17/07 "...from experience, an unprotected ferro rod will react with your sweat and start to pit and will disintegrate surprisingly quickly if you wear it on a neck-lanyard..."

BEFORE I STARTED SELLING THIS KIT, I PERSONALLY TESTED AND WORE [ALONG WITH THOSE OTHER ITEMS] A MAGNESIUM FIRE ROD AROUND MY NECK 24 HOURS A DAY, 7 DAYS A WEEK FOR ALMOST SIX MONTHS AND THE ONLY THING THAT HAPPENED TO IT IS THAT IT DISCOLORED BUT IT STILL WORKED.

BY THE WAY, THAT LITTLE BLACK RUBBER BAND SHOCK ABSORBER THAT YOU SEE AROUND MY MINI COMPASS ....IT'S MADE OF SOME SPECIAL RUBBER MATERIAL AND NEITHER SALT WATER NOR THE SUN'S RAYS WILL CAUSE IT TO DETERIOTE, JUST THOUGHT YOU'D LIKE TO KNOW IN CASE SOMEONE DIDN'T THINK I THOUGHT OF EVERYTHING. I CAN'T DISCLOSE MY SOURCE AS TO WHERE I GET'EM BUT I HAVE TO BUY A MINIMUM OF 'EM IN 100 LB SACKS AT $10 A LB, FIGURE OUT THE MATH.

Themalemutekid posted on 08/17/07 "...why buy that setup if you're not gonna use all of it? I'd say to buy those three items separately. You'll be better off.."

IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BUY THE ENTIRE KIT, THEN NO PROBLEM YOU CAN BUY EACH ITEM SEPARATELY.

SBRaider posted on 08/17/07 : "...due to posts made by rick here in the past, I've no desire to do business with him."

ON MY WEBSITE ON THE PAGE MARKED "DEPARTING WORDS" I STATE THE FOLLOWING (QUOTE) "...I can't please everyone and I won't even try." (UNQUOTE) I STAND BY THIS QUOTE AND RULE, IT'S YOU'RE LOSS NOT MINE.

Billym posted on 08/17/07: I am not a fan of magnesium shavings; maybe better than nothing but pretty useless IMO. The Hotspark gives off nice hot sparks with the back edge of most blades. It easily ignites all man-made tinders and many natural ones too.

WHAT'S GOOD ABOUT A MAG BAR AND MY MAGNESIUM FIRE ROD IS THAT YOU CAN USE THE "FLINT SIDE" LIKE A HOTSPARK TO ALSO IGNITE ALL MAN-MADE TINDER AND NATURAL ONES TOO.

BTW, THOUGH I DO NOT LIKE MAG BARS MYSELF, I DO LIKE MY MAG ROD BECAUSE IT'S SMALLER, THINNER AND EASIER TO HOLD, USE AND CARRY THAN A MAG BAG. I WILL SOON POST A TIP ON MY SITE IN HOW TO SCRAPE OFF SOME MAG SHAVINGS IN A TIGHT LITTLE GROUP SO YOU CAN IGNITE IT EASIER WITH THE FLINT SIDE.

WELL THERE YOU GO GUYS & GALS, MY TWO CENTS WORTH OF COMMENTS, SORRY I AM WRITING THIS IN CAP LETTERS, WHEN I'M IN A HURRY AND DON'T HAVE TIME TO TYPE, IT'S EASIER AND FASTER FOR ME TO REPLY BACK THIS WAY.

AS I MENTIONED TO DOUG AND CHRIS ONCE, I REALLY DON'T LIKE PARTICIPATING IN SURVIVAL FORUMS BUT THIS ONE [ETS] SEEMS TO BE THE BEST MONITORED AND CONTROLLED SURVIVAL FORUM ON THE NET. AS YOU CAN TELL FROM MY PREVIOUS POSTINGS, I USUALLY LOG IN THE WINTER OR SPRING, RARELY IN THE SUMMER OR FALL.

RIGHT NOW I'M GETTING READY TO COME BACK TO THE STATES FOR THREE WEEKS (OCTOBER 10-31) AND WILL BE VISITING SOME OF MY OLD ARMY BUDDIES IN NEW JERSEY, NEW YORK, GETTYSBURG - PA, FORT BRAGG - NC AND FORT BENNING -GA. SO THIS WILL MOST LIKELY BE ONE OF MY LAST POSTING HERE. BUT IF SOMEONE HERE HAS ANY FURTHER QUESTIONS ABOUT MY KITS/PRODUCTS, FEEL FREE TO CONTACT ME OFF-LINE AT: survivalnecklace@hotmail.com

WELL, I GOTTA GO, IT'S AFTER MID-NIGHT HERE IN BARDOLINO - LAKE GARDA, ITALY. BUT JUST ONE LAST PARTING SHOT OR ADVICE - EVER HEARD OF THE QUOTE " DON'T JUDGE A BOOK BY IT'S COVER?"

THEN DON'T CRITICIZE OR JUDGE A PRODUCT BY IT'S LOOKS WITHOUT FIRST TESTING IT OUT. ESPECIALLY IF THE SELLER IS WILLING TO GIVE YOU YOUR MONEY BACK IF IT'S NOT WHAT YOU EXPECT.

MAKE SENSE? YOU BETCHA, SEE YA ALL!

RANGER RICK TSCHERNE

US ARMY, RET. (1972-93)
AUTHOR, THE RANGER DIGESTS (I-IX)
DEVELOPER, SOS SURVIVAL KITS
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Ranger Rick's updated necklace - 09/06/07 02:40 AM

Please please please, lose the all caps, it gives me a headache trying to read it...
Posted by: GarlyDog

Re: Ranger Rick's updated necklace - 09/06/07 02:08 PM

Originally Posted By: ArmyRangerRick
Garleydog posted on 08/17/07 "...from experience, an unprotected ferro rod will react with your sweat and start to pit and will disintegrate surprisingly quickly if you wear it on a neck-lanyard..."

BEFORE I STARTED SELLING THIS KIT, I PERSONALLY TESTED AND WORE [ALONG WITH THOSE OTHER ITEMS] A MAGNESIUM FIRE ROD AROUND MY NECK 24 HOURS A DAY, 7 DAYS A WEEK FOR ALMOST SIX MONTHS AND THE ONLY THING THAT HAPPENED TO IT IS THAT IT DISCOLORED BUT IT STILL WORKED.

Glad to hear that the mag rod you tested for your lanyard works better than the one I use.

The one I use on my lanyard (about 1 1/2 year old), is pitted, discolored, and disintegrating. But it still works too.

BTW, I am a big fan of lanyards. I am a 24x7 wearer too. I just made my own...for personal use.
Posted by: jamesraykenney

Re: Ranger Rick's updated necklace - 09/06/07 06:56 PM

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
Please please please, lose the all caps, it gives me a headache trying to read it...

Ahhh, the kids these days... I remember when computers did not HAVE lowercase letters...
Reading a post like that is pure nostalgia for me!
Posted by: Alex

Re: Ranger Rick's updated necklace - 09/06/07 11:12 PM

Oh yes, that's nostalgic smile
But the cyberpunk generation used to interpret that as yelling in the online chat laugh

Regarding the ferro rod life. It looks like it will disintegrate with time no matter how well you protect it. I've recently removed the double ziplock bag with silica-gel bullet and Magnesium bar from my car kit bag. It was sitting in the side pocket for about 4 years untouched. The rod is pitted really badly, and a lot of grayish-white dust is everywhere. I believe - about 30-40% of the rod material is in this dust. The Magnesium bar looks like new (after cleaning of the dust). And the rod still produces good sparks...