Leatherman Fuse - w/o Blade - Not TSA Approved

Posted by: Traveler

Leatherman Fuse - w/o Blade - Not TSA Approved - 08/04/07 01:23 PM

I recently purchased a Leatherman-Fuse multi-Tool WITHOUT the blade with the express purpose of being able to carrying the tool on board the plane in my carry-on (mainly so I would not need to check my luggage). Unfortunately I had the tool taken from me during the return portion of my trip - The agent insisted that because the handles, when outstretched, exceeds the 7" maximum allowance, the tool cannot be taken on board. I attempted to explain that this was not a rigid length, but the agent did not care and confiscated the tool. (When collapsed it is about 4" in length). Quite frankly with this mentality, a tape measurer should not be allowed.

Note: When leaving my home airport a week earlier, the TSA agents there questioned me on the tool, saw there was no blade, and did permit it to pass thru. - Where is the constancy with the rules? I'm now out a $50 tool because of this "gray" area.

Basically you should assume that this tool IS NOT TSA approved.

Rdgs - Traveler
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Leatherman Fuse - w/o Blade - Not TSA Approved - 08/04/07 01:27 PM

Ya gotta love the TSA...
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Leatherman Fuse - w/o Blade - Not TSA Approved - 08/04/07 01:29 PM

Read the fine print at the bottom of the "OK to fly list". The screener has the authority to disallow ANY item onto the airplane.

Why do you think in November and December there are so many tampered with and potentially dangerous iPods?
Posted by: Russ

Re: Leatherman Fuse - w/o Blade - Not TSA Approved - 08/04/07 01:50 PM

Email Leatherman with this info. They are advertising the knifeless Fuse as TSA approved and that apparently isn't the case since yours was confiscated. Maybe they'll send you a new one.

Re: Leatherman Fuse - w/o Blade - Not TSA Approved - 08/04/07 02:00 PM

Email has been sent to Leatherman - We'll see where this goes.
As to the fine-print, I'm aware of it. I had the tool already out and in a seperate bin attemping to show my willingness to comply - Sometimes it just doesn't matter.
Thxs - T
Posted by: MartinFocazio

Re: Leatherman Fuse - w/o Blade - Not TSA Approved - 08/04/07 04:49 PM

When you travel, ALWAYS carry a pre-stamped Priority Mail Tyvek envelope. If you get hassled, be nice, and tell them you want to file a complaint, and ask to see the person in charge of the shift.
"I know you're doing your job, I disagree with your position, but I will respect it - this time. After I mail this item to myself, I am coming back and I'll want the names of the supervisor on this shift and hopefully the next time I travel I'll have a firm statement from TSA"
Posted by: celler

Re: Leatherman Fuse - w/o Blade - Not TSA Approved - 08/04/07 06:40 PM

I am commonly hassled beyond imagination by poorly-trained and authority-intoxicated TSA "screeners" to the point where I will not fly unless it is absolutely necessary. Any electronic device will be just cause for them to drive you nuts with questions and blank stares when you respond. I am not surprised at your experience. I would have likely done what you did and just give it up instead of asking for a supervisor, labeled a terrorist, and be put on the "no fly list."

Until enough of us complain, this will continue and likely get worse. I am sorry for your loss.

Craig.

Re: Leatherman Fuse - w/o Blade - Not TSA Approved - 08/04/07 08:26 PM

Oh - I did get the name & number of the shift super - he's the one that was not being reasonable. I'm pursuing this with the TSA as well as Leatherman.
BTW - I travel for a living and I did my homework on this - unfortunately the TSA didn't read that chapter.
Rdgs - T
Posted by: Leigh_Ratcliffe

Re: Leatherman Fuse - w/o Blade - Not TSA Approved - 08/04/07 09:09 PM

Did he give you a receit when he "confiscated" it?
Posted by: falcon5000

Re: Leatherman Fuse - w/o Blade - Not TSA Approved - 08/04/07 09:34 PM

I checked the leather man website http://www.leatherman.com/products/tools/Knifeless-Fuse/default.asp and it puts a link to the TSA's website but no where does it say it's TSA approved. I do think the way it is set up it's misleading making you think that it's TSA approved. But to cover them selves, it never says it's TSA approved, only:
"Sometimes having a knife as part of your multi-tool set-up isn't necessary. For these knife-prohibitive situations we've created the knifeless Fuse. All the necessary features from the original Fuse—including an additional file—without the liability of the knife."

I agree with mailing it back if you have time, but alot of places don't have the over price kiosk ( http://www.tsa.gov/press/happenings/mailsafe.shtm ) and you would have to get out of line and find a mail drop (if the TSA agent lets you have it back). This type of treatment of passengers is why I will not fly on an aircraft unless it's absolutely necessary. My boss has tried to get me to go out on trips to do recovery at work and I told him I won't fly because of the gistopo type mentality of the TSA. I drive everywhere I need to go or use a boat or my friend has a small plane and I'll do that but not commercial. If I can't carry things on the plane Pre 9-11 then I don't need to fly that bad.

The TSA is way out of control confiscating anything they want to take home and keep and there is no recourse of there actions. You can file complaints and send e-mails all day long unless you get someone who has a lot of pull involved nothing will happen. I'm sorry to hear you lost your tool only to have some untrained brainless drone take it from you because this makes him feel empowered with his worthless life.

Sorry for the rampage but I always get uptight seeing our rights slowly taking away day by day.
Posted by: JCWohlschlag

Re: Leatherman Fuse - w/o Blade - Not TSA Approved - 08/04/07 11:39 PM

That's a bunch of crap! I agree with Martin's suggestion about keeping some envelopes with you so you can mail your own stuff back to you, but you really shouldn't have to in this case. Personally, I hope Leatherman comes back on the TSA hard on this one.
Posted by: Susan

Re: Leatherman Fuse - w/o Blade - Not TSA Approved - 08/05/07 12:28 AM

Maybe I'm overly cynical, but I wouldn't be a bit surprised if a lot of the stuff that is confiscated by TSA are items that that particular TSA agent would like to have for himself. I guess its cheaper than paying for them, if you've got that kind of mental handicap.

Cynical Sue (who has been referred to as a "natural-born irritant" grin Fancy that.)
Posted by: Todd W

Re: Leatherman Fuse - w/o Blade - Not TSA Approved - 08/05/07 05:04 AM

Originally Posted By: Susan
Maybe I'm overly cynical, but I wouldn't be a bit surprised if a lot of the stuff that is confiscated by TSA are items that that particular TSA agent would like to have for himself. I guess its cheaper than paying for them, if you've got that kind of mental handicap.

Cynical Sue (who has been referred to as a "natural-born irritant" grin Fancy that.)

They sell it on ebay in lots... no joke go look.

Re: Leatherman Fuse - w/o Blade - Not TSA Approved - 08/10/07 01:37 PM

And Leathermans response:

"Thank you for contacting us regarding TSA and tool compliancy.
Having spoken to our Customer Service Department I was able to find out that TSA does not certify anyone’s product.
Each Airport interrupts the rules listed on their TSA web site differently.
Sincerely,
Leatherman Tool Group, Inc."

Typical spin ....

Re: Leatherman Fuse - w/o Blade - Not TSA Approved - 08/10/07 10:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Traveler
Each Airport interrupts the rules listed on their TSA web site differently.

"Interrupts"? When airports start "interrupting" TSA rules, we're all doomed. Of course, when airports start "interpreting" TSA rules, we get this kind of crap. That's a win/win situation if there ever was one.
Posted by: HerbG

Re: Leatherman Fuse - w/o Blade - Not TSA Approved - 08/11/07 01:09 AM

Your new Leatherman tool is (or soon will be) for sale on Ebay in all probability. All the knives, scissors, and multi-tools confiscated are given to local or state agencies for disposal. Some destroy the "weapons" and others sell them in large lots. I've seen a lot of SAK's that came from NTSA for sale at gun shows What else can we expect from a government agency that farms out a quasi law enforcement role to virtually untrained minimum wage workers?

Re: Leatherman Fuse - w/o Blade - Not TSA Approved - 08/14/07 10:59 PM

Here is my reply/request to Leatherman ....
-----------------------------
Thank you for your follow-up.

In light of this information, I then would respectfully recommend that Leatherman stop giving the impression that the tool is TSA compliant. Many retailers are actually stating that it is "TSA Approved", based on your web-site.

I would also request that Leatherman replace my confiscated tool due to this misleading advertising.

Thank you.
----------------------------
And their response ....
After reviewing our website again I do not see any indication that we are claiming to be "officially" TSA approved. I"d be happy to review it again if you would like to show me where to look for the information you are referring to.
We have noted more than once on our website to check to the rules of your particular airlines regarding carry on items. Each airport interprets the rules and regulations they have set differently, and we have no control over that.
If the airline is not willing to allow it as a carry-on, most airlines will allow you mail it back to yourself (but again this is not something we have any control over).
At no time are we telling retailers that this is a TSA approved product.
Our warranty covers manufacture defect only. Unfortunately, we will not be replacing your tool.
Teresa
----------------------
I said they were implying - What spin !
You know what to do ...
Rdgs - T

Re: Leatherman Fuse - w/o Blade - Not TSA Approved - 08/14/07 11:13 PM

And my reply ...
-------------
Teresa -

I said that your site is implying that the tool is TSA compliant. (Why show an aircraft and a link to the TSA if not trying to infer this.)

I said that other advertiser are stating that the fuse is TSA approved, based on the implications of your site. (Just do a web search.)

Answer this question: Why was this tool designed with out a blade if not attempting to comply with TAS rules? Your site is misleading, plain and simple. Drop the spin.

I was not given the chance to mail the tool back - I would have missed my flight.
---------------

I'm done - T
Posted by: TomApple

Re: Leatherman Fuse - w/o Blade - Not TSA Approved - 08/15/07 11:47 AM

Originally Posted By: Traveler

And their response ....
After reviewing our website again I do not see any indication that we are claiming to be "officially" TSA approved....
Rdgs - T

Their website has a graphic which says "for the most up-to-date TSA carry-on."
Knifeless Leatherman Fuse Page

I would say that it certainly implies TSA approval.

What BS!

Tom A.
Posted by: norad45

Re: Leatherman Fuse - w/o Blade - Not TSA Approved - 08/15/07 12:17 PM

I agree that it's pretty dishonest. They are probably banking on the TSA getting most of the blame from the "victim". They need to change their website, and giving their representatives some customer service training wouldn't hurt either.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Leatherman Fuse - w/o Blade - Not TSA Approved - 08/15/07 01:19 PM

If you look to the right of where it says "for the most up-to-date TSA carry-on.", you will see the little words "Click here." They are in white, and kindasorta hidden in the scissors hanging down from the top of the page. Clicking there sends you to the actual TSA website, and we all know that means what each TSA employee says then and there is what counts.

So Leatherman put the info there for all to read, IF you happen to see the "click here" part. I think it all goes back to the old "let the buyer beware" thing...
Posted by: hamilton

Re: Leatherman Fuse - w/o Blade - Not TSA Approved - 08/15/07 01:53 PM

Wow, that "click here" is really hidden. I had to select the whole page before I found it. I suppose it could be blamed on bad web page design, but that does seem kind of sneaky.

Re: Leatherman Fuse - w/o Blade - Not TSA Approved - 08/15/07 02:32 PM

That’s interesting. When this thread was first posted, the Leatherman Knifeless Fuse web page actually had a clickable TSA logo at the top (the Dept. of Homeland Security seal, that is). The words, “Click here for the latest TSA regulations” sat next to that logo.

Wonder why they changed it…
Posted by: duckear

Re: Leatherman Fuse - w/o Blade - Not TSA Approved - 08/15/07 07:49 PM

You didnt have your tool "confiscated"! No, in the eyes of the TSA, you surrendered it and thus they have no obligation to you for a receipt or anything else. You gave it to them and they are free to do with it as they please.

Tim Leatherman IS a tool. I would file a complaint with the AG in your state and the state Leatherman is hq'ed. OR?

Gerber or Victorinox for me.

Posted by: AROTC

Re: Leatherman Fuse - w/o Blade - Not TSA Approved - 08/16/07 03:55 AM

Not to mention the Department of Homeland Security seal a little further down the page. If that doesn't mean approval, then someone at DHS should be smacking Leatherman with a lawyer clad boot.