Top 100 to go in emergency

Posted by: lukus

Top 100 to go in emergency - 07/30/07 07:13 PM

Thought this was kind of interesting. Most of it not surprising, especially given the mindset of most people. Was definitely surprised batteries was so far down the list. And I thought it was funny that people would wait till an emergency to get #40.

http://baconreport.blogspot.com/2007/07/top-100-items-to-disappear-first-during.html
Posted by: teacher

Re: Top 100 to go in emergency - 07/30/07 10:42 PM

I disagree with the order: look at people shopping for a hurricane. Its almost always the same items:

water, bleach, plywood, batteries and ice.

Note that 4 of thease are cheap and plentiful, if you prepare before hand.

tro
Posted by: Todd W

Re: Top 100 to go in emergency - 07/30/07 11:46 PM

Batteries and Water go first.

Posted by: celler

Re: Top 100 to go in emergency - 07/31/07 12:22 AM

I agree the list is out of order for a short-term emergency (i.e. hurricane, tornado) effecting a small region. I think this list is more designed for a long-term, longer reaching emergency (think Jerico the TV series).

Oh, I thought that the rent-a-dog link was priceless. What will the left-coast think of next? And no, the dog in my avatar is not for rent. I think he would rent me out first.

Craig.
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Top 100 to go in emergency - 07/31/07 01:49 AM

I was very surprised by two omissions.

I've gone through that list twice in 24 hours. Both times, I failed to find a mention of gasoline and diesel, except in passing. I also couldn't find potable water. I can't think of many natural disasters where motor vehicle fuel didn't get very valuable very fast, and fewer were the water supplies for most people weren't either cut off due to lack of electricity for the pumps, or contaminated.

Posted by: hamilton

Re: Top 100 to go in emergency - 07/31/07 01:56 AM

This list strikes me as a list of what this guy believes would go missing in an emergency. I'd be interested in seeing actual statistics on what goes missing and in what time frame.
Posted by: wildman800

Questionable theory but not reality???? - 07/31/07 02:28 AM

This list does not match my experiences of trying to Reason with Hurricane Season.

The batteries, bottled water, canned goods, plywood, flashlights and lanterns,all disappear very quickly.

There are only 3 days of supplies in any American city at any given time. A run on a store empties the shelves within a couple of hours, at the most.
Posted by: Alan_Romania

Re: Questionable theory but not reality???? - 07/31/07 02:41 AM

I am pretty sure, can't find the report right now, that the top five (in no particular order) for any natural disaster are:

Batteries
Bottled water
Propane and stove fuel
Canned food
Plywood/and fasteners
Posted by: JCWohlschlag

Re: Top 100 to go in emergency - 07/31/07 04:13 AM

Interesting. I remember that the two things Wal-Mart stocked up on before Hurricane Katrina (and Charlie, and probably others) were Pop-Tarts (Strawberry) and beer. Those weren't anywhere on the list.

http://www.google.com/search?q=Hurricane+Pop-Tarts+Beer&btnG=Search
Posted by: Alan_Romania

Re: Top 100 to go in emergency - 07/31/07 06:17 AM

I LOVE STRAWBERRY POPTARTS!
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Top 100 to go in emergency - 07/31/07 01:45 PM

PopTarts and beer, breakfast of champions for sure...
Posted by: Frank2135

Re: Top 100 to go in emergency - 07/31/07 02:10 PM

The list is entitled "Top 100 Items to Disappear First During a NATIONAL Emergency". You can quibble with the order as much as you want (I know I did), but IMO in a national emergency all 100 are likely to become scarce in pretty short order.

As a household shopping list for long-term emergency preparedness, it's not that bad. I made a copy to play around with.

Frank2135

Re: Top 100 to go in emergency - 07/31/07 02:22 PM

#24 is interesting. I can see the "real" feminine hygene products, but haircare and skin products? What, ya gotta look good in any emergency???
Posted by: hamilton

Re: Top 100 ..."common sense/original thinking" - 07/31/07 04:02 PM

I did a quick google search to see if I could come up with something, but no luck. Anyone actually in the field of disasters, natural or otherwise, know any government or private studies?
Posted by: Frank2135

Re: Top 100 ..."common sense/original thinking" - 07/31/07 04:15 PM

"If I remember correctly, he made this list himself using "common sense and original thinking" so although there are quite a few items that would be on a real top 100 list, this particular compliation isn't really that valid, at least IMHO."

OK, here's a suggestion. Rather than try to come up with our own "Top 100 List" how about a "Top 10" list? I'll give it a try:

1. Bottled water
2. Gasoline & diesel fuel
3. Batteries
4. Generators
5. Candles, lanterns, lantern fuel
6. Propane
7. Paper towels, toilet paper
6. Tobacco products
8. Medicines (esp. those requiring refrigeration)
9. No-heat foods (snack foods, crackers, candies, etc.)
10. Canned foods

How'd I do? I await your critical comments. Also, give it a try yourself. smile

Frank2135
Posted by: ducktapeguy

Re: Top 100 to go in emergency - 07/31/07 07:50 PM

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
#24 is interesting. I can see the "real" feminine hygene products, but haircare and skin products? What, ya gotta look good in any emergency???

You're obviously not a woman (the screenname gives it away). I can actually believe it, for a lot of the females I know, skin products are like crack cocaine. Forget about money, gold, or ammo, the real bartering meduium is going to be hand cream and skin lotion.

I think since the list is somewhat vague (what type of emergency, where, what season?) it's going to have some items that probably don't make sense. Firewood and thermals isn't going to be very useful during hurricane season, and items for a ice storm aren't going to be needed for an earthquake.

Re: Top 100 to go in emergency - 07/31/07 07:57 PM

And I am blessed with a wife who can look great with a minimum of effort and "stuff"...
Posted by: LED

Re: Top 100 to go in emergency - 07/31/07 08:21 PM

PopTarts and beer, breakfast of champions for sure...

Thats right up there with my long ago favorite, a Coke and a smoke.
Posted by: xbanker

Re: Top 100 to go in emergency - 07/31/07 08:44 PM

While not technically a "purchase," I'm guessing "cash" would figure prominently on many a procrastinator's list, e.g. ATM withdrawals (assuming still functional). I think, anyway, that the public-at-large increasingly aware that post-event use of credit cards is dicey.

Also wonder if – in this post-Katrina era – ammunition hasn't moved up a few rankings on a hypothetical list.
Posted by: bat69

Re: Top 100 to go in emergency - 07/31/07 09:12 PM

As someone who's been through 2 storms here in the "plywood state" I have to disagree with the list. The top three are:

1. Common Sense
2. fuel (auto and LP gas)
3. Cash
Posted by: JohnN

Re: Top 100 to go in emergency - 07/31/07 11:25 PM

It would be interesting to get of list of actual items to go (sales stats?) vs. a list of top things we think you should *have*.

-john
Posted by: bat69

Re: Top 100 to go in emergency - 07/31/07 11:48 PM

Hi john,

I agree. I'd like to see those as well. Some of the items on the list struck me as odd.

Just prior to Wilma (less than 12 hrs )at the publix super market up the road i can tell you that batteries, bleach, candles, bottled water, and paper products were virtually non existant on the shelves.

You couldn't evern get near a home depot in my area. wall to wall people, and tensions were very high.

I would be interesting to see some merchant statistics though.
Posted by: Roarmeister

Re: Top 100 to go in emergency - 08/01/07 12:26 AM

Quote:

Women have their priorities and "old bald guys" have their priorities... laugh
Posted by: frostbite

Re: Top 100 ..."common sense/original thinking" - 08/01/07 01:23 AM

Matches/lighter, or did i misunderstand the Top 10?

Re: Top 100 to go in emergency - 08/01/07 01:57 AM

Fur that is clean insulates better. And chapped skin, when it cracks, can be bad enough to limit mobility and provides an in for infection.

I also put plain soap in the skin care category. A good staph infection will ruin your day.

Re: Top 100 to go in emergency - 08/01/07 02:00 AM

I think these were published after the 2005 hurricane season. I'm sure if you write the PR departments at Walmart, Target, Home Depot and Lowes they might be willing to release their sales data to you. Tell them you are working on a research project, doing post grad work in emergency management.

Re: Top 100 to go in emergency - 08/01/07 02:01 AM

Mountain Dew, Gatorade, and left over pizza that has been sitting on the coffee table all night.
Posted by: KevinB

Re: Top 100 ..."common sense/original thinking" - 08/01/07 02:52 AM

Originally Posted By: Frank2135
"If I remember correctly, he made this list himself using "common sense and original thinking" so although there are quite a few items that would be on a real top 100 list, this particular compliation isn't really that valid, at least IMHO."

OK, here's a suggestion. Rather than try to come up with our own "Top 100 List" how about a "Top 10" list? I'll give it a try:

1. Bottled water
2. Gasoline & diesel fuel
3. Batteries
4. Generators
5. Candles, lanterns, lantern fuel
6. Propane
7. Paper towels, toilet paper
6. Tobacco products
8. Medicines (esp. those requiring refrigeration)
9. No-heat foods (snack foods, crackers, candies, etc.)
10. Canned foods

How'd I do? I await your critical comments. Also, give it a try yourself. smile

Frank2135

Having been through the 2003 SoCal wildfire emergency, I can say that generators were gone instantaneously, along with the heavy duty wire and plugs to hook them up to water pumps. My ranch is in desert horse country. Water for the horses is the #1 priority. Another thing that went quickly was gas cans for fuel for the generators.

I had the generator, the fuel, and the cans. I had to improvise the cable, and do without the plugs (Just shove the wire in there!). I now have the plugs.

Kevin B.

Re: Top 100 to go in emergency - 08/01/07 07:06 AM

Originally Posted By: ironraven
Mountain Dew, Gatorade, and left over pizza that has been sitting on the coffee table all night.

Nothing like opening the box to find at least 4 big slices left. Ah, the simple pleasures in life.

Re: Top 100 to go in emergency - 08/01/07 07:27 AM

I wonder how much panic and irrationality play into which items people choose. I doubt relatively bland foods (although ideal for survival purposes) like rice, canned beans, and whole grains would be among the first items to fly off the shelf. If I ever had to buy food last minute I've always thought that these items and things like potatoes, brussels sprouts, dried beans, raw nuts, etc. would likely be available because people wouldn't be thinking practical long term, but rather everyday comfort food.
Posted by: MartinFocazio

Re: Top 100 to go in emergency - 08/01/07 10:25 PM

that's about $11,000 worth of stuff. In case you're wondering.
Posted by: NeighborBill

Re: Top 100 to go in emergency - 08/02/07 12:15 AM

And I am blessed with a wife who can look great with a minimum of effort and "stuff"...

Nope smile
Posted by: RobertRogers

Re: Top 100 to go in emergency - 08/03/07 11:46 PM

I remember reading somewhere a hungry army came upon some unexpected supplies. All but one of the men filled their packs with things like meats and canned goods. One guy choose instead to carry as much Mustard(!)as he could.

Turns out, the Mustard Man made the wisest selection because for as long it lasted he was able to trade small amounts of mustard for flavoring in exchange for a full dish of whatever meal was being prepared! He turned his one pack full of mustard into many times that amount in meats and other food.