Life Guard Water Container

Posted by: ducttape

Life Guard Water Container - 07/13/07 01:43 PM

What do you folks think about the Life Guard 7 gallon water container with filter?

http://www.rei.com/product/737516

Is the filter good enough for urban disaster or camping use? Or would one also use chemicals in addition?

thanks
Posted by: Eugene

Re: Life Guard Water Container - 07/13/07 02:23 PM

I have a couple of those but just the water jug without the filter. I've been meaning to get a couple more and get one of the filters.
Posted by: JCWohlschlag

Re: Life Guard Water Container - 07/13/07 02:41 PM

I'm not entirely sure that I like the idea of the filter being stored exposed and unsealed on the outside of the container when not in use. Having a cruddied-up filter from months of storage sounds like a failure waiting to happen. Maybe it works better than I think. I'd need a real-world test to be sure.
Posted by: MrDrysdale

Re: Life Guard Water Container - 07/13/07 04:31 PM

I think they are not worth the price. Walmart has the plan containers for $9.00. I think you better off saving the extra money and buying a good portable water filter.

Posted by: Frank2135

Re: Life Guard Water Container - 07/13/07 04:41 PM

Originally Posted By: MrDrysdale
I think they are not worth the price. Walmart has the plan containers for $9.00. I think you better off saving the extra money and buying a good portable water filter.

I agree.

Frank2135
Posted by: big_al

Re: Life Guard Water Container - 07/13/07 06:21 PM

How about dumping the water thru a coffee filter? I don't know what the Micron size is, Maybe someone here can tell us. I have been wondering how good a coffee filter is for filtering water.

Posted by: aloha

Re: Life Guard Water Container - 07/13/07 06:38 PM

Originally Posted By: big_al

How about dumping the water thru a coffee filter? I don't know what the Micron size is, Maybe someone here can tell us. I have been wondering how good a coffee filter is for filtering water.

My understanding is coffee filters will only filter out particulate matter, aka, crud, but not the nasties that will make you sick.

Coffee filters are still good for pre-treatment though.
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Life Guard Water Container - 07/13/07 06:52 PM

Backflush with treated water, same way you do a hiker's filter.
Posted by: Eugene

Re: Life Guard Water Container - 07/13/07 07:09 PM

I agree also, except for getting them from overprice mart. I bought them at gander Mountain for $7. I fail to understand why everyone shops at Walmart and pays more for things than then do from other stores wink
Posted by: JCWohlschlag

Re: Life Guard Water Container - 07/13/07 08:24 PM

Originally Posted By: ironraven
Backflush with treated water, same way you do a hiker's filter.

Yes, I thought of that. With that filter being so exposed during dormancy, I would be afraid that the filter would get dirty on both sides (inflow and outflow), which would make backflushing ineffective.

I dunno. I guess I feel that just getting the container without the filter, then a separate good-quality sealed water filter would be much more cost effective.
Posted by: celler

Re: Life Guard Water Container - 07/14/07 02:01 AM

Originally Posted By: Eugene

I agree also, except for getting them from overprice mart. I bought them at gander Mountain for $7. I fail to understand why everyone shops at Walmart and pays more for things than then do from other stores wink

Pretty simple math, really. My nearest Gander Mountain is 147 miles away. My nearest Walmart is 1.2 miles away. I'd need to buy alot of containers at $2 per container savings to justify the expeniture in gasoline for a 300 mile round trip.

Also for the items it carries (which is not as diverse as I would like), my Walmart in Florida always beats every local price and most prices I can find on the internet.

YMMV

Craig.