I'm Done...

Posted by: Coastie09

I'm Done... - 07/03/07 01:35 AM

I say this with my fingers crossed behind my back, but with the gear that came in today, I am finally satisfied with the emergency gear that now fills my small pack. I thought I would share such a list with everyone...

This is a spring-summer-fall bag of goodies to keep me alive in the Eastern US in case I have an unexpected overnight or other emergency while I am out hiking (so this is also some of my dayhiking gear).

I always wear good snythetic clothing and I have some excellent leather boots.

On my person I carry the RSK Mk1, Photon III freedom, mini bic, ACR whistle, and a red bandanna in order to cover the bare essentials.

In the pack:

Clothing
Wool Watch Cap
Polarfleece 200 Pullover
Columbia Nylon Rain Jacket
Extra Wool Socks
Food and Water
2 1 Qt Nalgene Water Bottles
Katadyhn Hiker Water Filter
16 oz Steel Mug
30 MP-1 Tablets
4 Clif Bars
Emergency Equipment
AMK Ultralite .9 First Aid Kit
Mora #840 Fixed Blade Knife
Leatherman Wave
Pocket Chain Saw
DMT MiniSharp
AMK Heatsheet Bivy
AMK 2 Person Heatsheet
Emergency Poncho
Fox 40 Whistle
2x3 Signal Mirror
75 Ft 550 Cord
Sparklight Firestarter Kit
25 NATO Matches
eQ Multi Light
Navigation
Petzel Tikka Plus Headlamp AAA
Garmin GPS Unit AA
Topo Map
Pencil
Waterproof Notebook
Sunnto A-10 Compass
2 AA Batteries
3 AAA Batteries
Polarized Sunglasses
Personal Supplies
Prescription Glasses With Case
2 Large Plastic Garbage Bags
Ziploc Bags
Roll Toilet Paper
Pack Towel
Contact Case
Small Bottle Contact Solution
Bottle Repel 100% DEET

I think that about covers it. I'm pretty happy with how everything turned out. Aside from getting a PLB down the road, or a better GPS, I think this is how my pack will more or less remain for a while (that and I have no more money!).

Matt
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: I'm Done... - 07/03/07 01:42 AM

Kind of top heavy on blades, but then one can never have too many blades. Looks pretty good to me...
Posted by: Be_Prepared

Re: I'm Done... - 07/03/07 02:22 AM

Originally Posted By: Coastie09
I say this with my fingers crossed behind my back, but with the gear that came in today, I am finally satisfied with the emergency gear that now fills my small pack.

Matt, don't be silly, I'm sure that before a week or so, you'll find something else that you absolutely MUST HAVE. It could be life or death when it happens. I don't know if it'll be a new flashlight, blade, or whatever, but, it will happen, and soon. wink

Re: I'm Done... - 07/03/07 02:30 AM

Yeah - the Wave and Pocket Chain Saw aren't light either. I tried to stick with the rule of 3 for knives, shelter, water, and fire and the knives do get heavy. The Leatherman just has so many useful features and though I haven't used it yet, I imagine the saw would be huge if I had to construct a shelter or cut large fuelwood to burn through the night. And the Mora is backup for the RSK. Altogether (with H20) it weighs about 16lbs.
Posted by: alvacado

Re: I'm Done... - 07/03/07 02:46 AM

Good Job !!

Re: I'm Done... - 07/03/07 02:47 AM

I know what you mean - hence my caveat. I do have a nasty habit of impulsively buying the lastest and greatest, but I sat on this last "want list" for well over a month before I got anything and I was able to do better research. Beleive me, a PLB, the fixed RSK, a Garmin Legend CX, a new pack, a Hiker Pro filter, and a whole host of other stuff does look mighty appealing. However, I reasoned that, at least for a little bit (while I saved up for some hiking trips), I can make out perfectly fine with what I've got and instead look to find better ways to use the great gear that I already have.

Now I know you were joking and I don't mean to seem to lecture, but I do feel like pointing out that sometimes all the posts on this forum make me feel like I don't have enough stuff or that I need to go out and get the next generation. I'll see a post on flashlights or jackets or knives and instantly start adding stuff to my "To Get" list. I know that I am far and above in prepardness compared to the masses, or the people we have to yank out of the water, and that in the end it will be my knowledge and courage that will get me through whatever I might face and not the latest gizmo, doo-hicky, or thingamajig. People have gotten by with a lot less and lived. Granted, the gear helps, but there has to be a point where you say "Hey, I've got the stuff to cover about 95% of what I might face, and now I need to spend my time and energy and money on [fill in the blank]." I think the last 5% is in the hands of the Man Upstairs - you can not prepare for everything with equipment alone.

Sorry for the rant. Again, I know you were joking with me, but I wanted to point that out. I was actually already prepared to turn the discussion in this directon, hence the title of the thread "I'm done."

Matt
Posted by: ironraven

Re: I'm Done... - 07/03/07 03:19 AM

I'd toss in a brew kit, even if it was just a coffee/tea bag and a cocoa pouch, for hypothermia. Swap the polar fleece for a light wool sweater. That's all I can see.
Posted by: spuddate

Re: I'm Done... - 07/03/07 03:26 AM

It is a very well thought out kit. Due to lack of money, I also list what I want/need, and then think hard about the next thing to get. I would add a pair of work gloves. I like pig skin work gloves, but choose what you like. When doing a lot of work in a survival situation, they really save the hands.

Spud
Posted by: TomP

Re: I'm Done... - 07/03/07 03:43 AM

You are definately "Equipped to Survive"-very complete and well thought out.
Posted by: Russ

Re: I'm Done... - 07/03/07 04:07 AM

I'm never done.
Posted by: KenK

Re: I'm Done... - 07/03/07 04:35 AM

Some thoughts for additional useful but inexpensive gear:

-Bandanna - very nice for absorbing water from dew or small puddles, wiping a brow, or swatting flies - brighter is better. I've tried both cotton & poly fabric and prefer the cotton.

-Disposable butane lighter - lots of lights and easier than Sparklite - though of course keep the sparklite and waterproof matches as backups.

-Duct tape - super multi-purpose - re-roll it onto a pencil or straw to save space

-Zipstrips - a few real long heavy duty ones - lots of uses

-Needle with hole large enough to easily take the strands in the paracord - or floss (another useful thing that doesn't take much space/weight). I'd put it in my first aid kit.

-UTM Grid - from maptools.com - not expensive, but lets you convert the GPS's UTM coordinates to a position on the topo map - VERY handy...almost a required tool if you're bothering to carry a topo map. BYW, do get familiar with your GPS and get into the habit of capturing key waypoints while traveling - so you can get back to whereever when you need to.

-Nylon poncho - I'm guessing your poncho is plastic - if possible (room/weight wise) I'd carry a nylon poncho instead as the plastic ones are so very easily torn to shreds by branches. Campmor.com sells some nice inexpensive ones.

-Mosquitto head net - not required, but I personally HATE mosquitos - I like the one with the spring hoop

Have you ever thought of replacing one of the 1-quart Nalgene bottles with one of the collapsable ones? It would take up much less space and save some weight. I carry a Miox, and in addition to my 1-qt Nalgene I carry a collapsable 4-liter "water tank" which small when rolled up but lets me treat a lot of water.
Posted by: JIM

Re: I'm Done... - 07/03/07 10:12 AM

Nice kit!

I believe the .9 FAK already has a roll of duct-tape in it

You could remove the heatsheet, since you carry a poncho to make a tarp out of.. Or you could keep the heatsheet and then remove the poncho, since you also have a rainjacket...choices, choices.. smile

Re: I'm Done... - 07/03/07 11:37 AM

I've got 4/8 covered...

Bandanna in pocket
lighter in pocket

duct tape in UL .9 as Jim pointed out.

There's a needle in the UL .9 too. I added a coupla things to it, the needle, some floss, and a military trauma bandage. I just wrote AMK UL .9 though - I didn't want to kill everyone with a huge list.

I also have a nylon poncho, actually a surplus GI poncho. I like it, but I'm fond of my rain jacket too so I didn't include both.

Thanks for the suggestions. Maybe one of these days I'll take a look at that UTM or consider a collapsable container, but like I mentioned I'm gonna back down and maintain bare steerageway (go slow and take it easy) with the new gear for a while. I've found that the $5 here and $3 there for small supplies can add up just as fast as a new filter or another big ticket item might.

Matt
Posted by: Blast

Re: I'm Done... - 07/03/07 12:42 PM

Looks good. The next step is to start practicing with the stuff. Tied up the heatsheet to make a shelter, use the filter a few times, and definately try using the pocket chain saw. I've used mine a few times and while it's better than a wire saw it still leaves much to be desired. I found it works best using it like a two-man saw. One person on each side and try to keep the "blade" only slightly curved.

-Blast
Posted by: Frankie

Re: I'm Done... - 07/03/07 01:19 PM

And the saw on the multitool is way too small to be really effective. Just watch Michel Blomgren manage to build a shelter with only his Victorinox multitool. Better is a folding saw like the Gerber or Bahco Laplander (there are cheaper alternatives at stores like Homedepot). Mors Kochanski advocates that a survival saw is a swedish flexible bucksaw blade and must be ideally as long as from your nose to your finger tips (about the lenght of an arm) to take advantage of a full stroke of your arm so the lenght should fit yourself (I'm tall so I guess 30 inch would be my lenght) and that you can carry on your belt or roll it and then build a wooden frame. He says that it must be able to cut a "hug-size tree". I wonder what hug-size actually means but I got an idea.

interesting collapsible wooden bucksaws

BTW, is this a "hug-size" tree?

Frankie
Posted by: norad45

Re: I'm Done... - 07/03/07 01:44 PM

Looks like a very complete, well thought out kit. Good job.
Posted by: wildman800

Re: I'm Done... - 07/03/07 07:38 PM

Semper Paratus! Shipmate

Re: I'm Done... - 07/03/07 08:16 PM

It all weighs about 16-18lbs with 2qts of water. I could pare it down a little, but I actually like a little bit of weight on my back otherwise it doesn't feel like a hike.

Like mentioned - that stuff is for emergencies, but it's basically what I take with me on a day hike. So it resides in my day pack with is around 1800 cu.

oatmeal - I could boil water in the steel mug (hence it's inclusion), so that might not be a bad inclusion - and I wouldn't have to spend anymore money as I have some on hand.

sunscreen - I've never really had use for sunscreen. I always wear pants (better for beating brush and I've just gotten so used to them w/ my uniforms) and I'm never without a ballcap. I usually wear a just a duofold t shirt, but my forearms never get burned anymore - that's one benefit of being at sea in short sleeved uniforms. But thanks for looking out for me! wink

Re: I'm Done... - 07/03/07 08:23 PM

Hahaha...

I must face it. You guys win. As it's been pointed out, I'll never be done. I think my rant above was just me running on too little sleep and me being disappointed in myself for going over budget for the month on new gear.

The few replies I've gotten made me think that "yeah, it's a good pack, but it could still use some tweaks." I'm probably going to take a look at a collapsible water container and the Quickclot ACS I saw on another post.

Maybe instead of ending all new aquisition, I could just do a better job of researching and budgeting. We'll see...

Matt

Re: I'm Done... - 07/03/07 08:25 PM

Puddle Pirates are Always Ready!
Posted by: wildman800

Re: I'm Done... - 07/03/07 08:48 PM

Then you retire, join the "Hooligan Brown Water Navy" AND get a life! There is life after the Guard!!!
Posted by: Eugene

Re: I'm Done... - 07/03/07 11:36 PM

IMHO. I'd swap the headlamp for a 2 AA powered light then you only need to carry one set of spare batteries.
Posted by: Frankie

Re: I'm Done... - 07/03/07 11:51 PM

And if you do so I find the Nite-Ize headband works well. My mini-mag in my appartment is on one of these headbands permanently. But the Tactikka Plus is attractive to me, for its red lens so that you don't need cellophane and I'm guessing it would fit on a helmet more securely.

Re: I'm Done... - 07/04/07 12:24 AM

Ohhhh, I've come to really enjoy my Princeton Tec EOS headlamp. My handhelds all stay in the house, expect for one - my Fenix P1 CE LED that uses the same CR123A batteries as my Miox - is in my pack as a small, but powerful, backup light.

Re: I'm Done... - 07/04/07 12:25 AM

Another option could be to go with an AAA powered GPS, IIRC I saw a 3 AAA powered last time I was looking through web sites for them.
I'm going to go with an AA powered as everything in my large bob is AA powered, flashlights, radio, scanner, etc. I'm down to AAA's in a radio in my truck bob and my Arc AAA EDC, and a couple AAA powered Mag Lights in the truck bob, all of which are I plan to rotate out to AA models. Primary power is Sanyo Eneloop with Alkaline and some Lithium AA's for back up.

Re: I'm Done... - 07/04/07 02:00 AM

There is a very similiar, DIY item here:
http://www.therangerdigest.com/Tips___Tricks/MULTI-PURPOSE_SAW/body_multi-purpose_saw.html

Haven't built one yet. Not the operative word there is yet, can't find good blades.

Re: I'm Done... - 07/04/07 03:11 AM

Yeah, that is a pain but I really like the Tikka. Ever since I started using headlamps, it's been hard for me to imagine when hands free light wouldn't be advantageous, so I steered away from handhelds. At the time I made the purchase I wasn't aware of a AA LED headlamp in my price range - I guess that's why it pays to do your research.
Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: I'm Done... - 07/04/07 03:45 AM

Matt, I had the rare honour of meeting a USS Indianapolis survivor. We talked at length and he suddenly invited me to his home office. It was obviously the man's inner sanctom with a rich life lived on display. He opened a closet and pulled out a faded MK 1 kapok lifejacket that made the worn out junk we surveyed ( toss out for you civilians)in the 70s look good. It was stencilled USS Indianapolis. He held onto that jacket even after being picked up. He told me bluntly whenever a life crisis came up later in life; a sick daughter, job loss etc. He would privately put his lifejacket on and sit quietly by himself for awhile. Your doing o.k. Don't sweat the small stuff as taught in rule # 1 and remember what rule # 2 is.
Posted by: teacher

Re: I'm Done... - 07/04/07 10:11 PM

do the heatsheet and the bivvy duplicate each other?

Re: I'm Done... - 07/05/07 02:05 AM

Not totally. The heatsheet is just a sheet; the heatsheet bivy is the same stuff as bivy. I carry a hs bivy and a tarp in my ditch kit, one probably will keep you warm, the other will probably keep the wind and rain at bay. You could make a bivy into a sheet, but not the other way around, not with much success; besides, why pay extra for the bivy if you plan on slitting anyway? :P
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: I'm Done... - 07/05/07 02:46 AM

I'm not really a fan of this type of kit. The heatsheet although much tougher than a mylar sheet really does not provide any realistic protection against the elements. Same with the bivy made from the same material. Firstly, claims about reflecting 90 percent of the bodies radiant heat really is just marketing fantasy considering radiant heat losses are just a fraction of heat loss from convective heat. The Bivy bag is really just a metalized plastic bag with no real insulation qualities at all. It would be best described as a high tech body bag. Secondly this material is not breathable, which is always an important consideration in the survivability stakes. To keep warm you need to keep dry. To keep dry you need breathable materials. For an small increase in additional weight (an extra 400 gms) there are much more practical functional shelters available such as the Outdoor Research Lighthaven. The Lighthaven would allow 2 people to sit out a storm in relative comfort and allow the occupants to brew up a nice cup of hot sweet tea. A sort of more advanced version of the Bothy Bag.

Or there is also the Blizzard Survival Bag weighing in at 385 grams available at http://www.blizzardsurvival.com/

Re: I'm Done... - 07/05/07 03:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Coastie09
Hahaha...

I must face it. You guys win. As it's been pointed out, I'll never be done.

I'm so proud of you Matt. The first step is admitting that you have a problem.

OK Matt, repeat after me "Hi everyone, my name is Matt and I'm equipped to survive."

Then we all reply in unison "Hi Matt!".

As they say, once you're "equipped to survive" you'll never really be 100% cured - its just that you'll learn to keep your addiction, well, under some level of control. Some days will be good, and some days will be not-so-good, but the reality is that you'll never really be unequipped again.

grin

Re: I'm Done... - 07/05/07 10:48 AM

"Hi everyone, my name is Matt and I'm equipped to survive."

too funny

Posted by: Frank2135

Re: I'm Done... - 07/05/07 04:45 PM

NH,

How do you keep your kits from gradually growing to the point you need a trailer to haul 'em?

Frank2135 (wondering if he can't get just one more coil of paracord into that pouch...)
Posted by: Lasd02

Re: I'm Done... - 07/05/07 05:39 PM

Matt,

That sounds like a great kit. Other's have added their "must have" suggestions as well, but no one surprisingly has mentioned the one item I simply refuse to venture into the wilderness without:

Uses are endless:
1. nut cracker
2. foot warmer (heat by fire/sun and place in bottom of bivy at night)
3. counter balance for moose snare
4. hot air ballon balast
5. etc., etc.

Add this bad boy to your kit and you're good to go!

Re: I'm Done... - 07/05/07 06:31 PM

A trailer is just a bigger bob, whats wrong with that smile

Re: I'm Done... - 07/06/07 02:28 AM

Lasd, shouldn't that be over in the long term section. smile