What are your "core" essentials?

Posted by: DLR

What are your "core" essentials? - 06/17/07 08:49 PM

I think that this issue has been talked about but I nothing receintly I've found. So here goes..

If you were stripped of everything except the clothes on your back, what items would be your first priority to aquire?

Survival issues aside, like water, shelter or fire. We all know the priorities. Items that will suit a wide range of conditions and/or environments.

So, give me your top 5 items you'd want....

1)
2)
3)
4)
5)

DLR

Posted by: Buckshot13

Re: What are your "core" essentials? - 06/17/07 09:08 PM

To cover the basics I would want:

1) A good fixed blade knife (for me my Benchmade Griptilian)
2) Ferro rod
3) Small metal container (for boiling water)
4) Para cord (the real stuff of course)
5) A small tarp

I chose the ferro rod because, in my opinion, it is the most reliable way of generating sparks to create a fire. Recently as an experiment, I have started dry grass, cat tail fluff, cotton balls, and shredded paper towels on fire with minimal effort.
Posted by: ponder

Re: What are your "core" essentials? - 06/17/07 09:26 PM

Survival issues aside, like water, shelter or fire.

1)Glock 23
2)Mossberg 50668
3)Multitool
4)Ball point pen
5)Roll of $100's
Posted by: KenK

Re: What are your "core" essentials? - 06/17/07 09:30 PM

My urban EDC is - in no particular order:

1) Cell phone
2) Mini Rittergrip
3) Fox 40 whistle
4) BSA Hot Spark ferro rod
5) Arc Premium AAA LED light

When outdoors I'd say it is the same, though the cell phone will be replaced by the PLB if potentially out of cellular range, BUT I certainly wouldn't limit my gear to five items. Water, shelter (bivy-poncho), bandanna, EOS headlamp, fixed Rittergrip, first aid kit, paracord, GPS, compass, map, and an MSR Miox go into my gear. I'm sure I've forgotten something on my list, but you get the idea.
Posted by: wildman800

Re: What are your "core" essentials? - 06/17/07 09:38 PM

If you were stripped of everything except the clothes on your back, what items would be your first priority to aquire?

Survival issues aside, like water, shelter or fire. We all know the priorities. Items that will suit a wide range of conditions and/or environments.

1) Knife
2) Line or cord
3) Canteen
4) Poncho
5) Metal cup
Posted by: raydarkhorse

Re: What are your "core" essentials? - 06/17/07 10:51 PM

Originally Posted By: DLR
I think that this issue has been talked about but I nothing receintly I've found. So here goes..

1)
2)
3)
4)
5)

DLR

1)Knife (hopefully my Anza)
2)550 Para cord
3)Poncho/tarp
4)Fire making materials (my blast match)
5)My 10/22 w/ammo

Posted by: big_al

Re: What are your "core" essentials? - 06/18/07 12:19 AM

"If you were stripped of everything except the clothes on your back, what items would be your first priority to aquire?"

In accordance with you definition. I would have my pants and belt and shirt and boots.
I'M Rich, on those things listed I have my EDC. This is where it gets sticky.
Are you talking to people that follow this site, or people of little knowledge in survival.?

Assuming you are talking about people with very little knowledge of preparedness this is what I would suggest.

1. knife(good sized fixed or folder)
2. ferro rod(nice big one)
3. 550 cord ( as much as you will let me have )
4. G.I. metal canteen cup
5. G.I. canteen full of water.

Posted by: pipedreams

Re: What are your "core" essentials? - 06/18/07 12:23 AM

Knife
Metal Pot
Fire Steel/Lighter
Tarp
Cord
------------
todd
Posted by: cfraser

Re: What are your "core" essentials? - 06/18/07 01:02 AM

So I've got water/shelter/fire? Then I'm not hugely pressed, and can wait a while if necessary. In no particular order, and just things I already have or use:

1) accurate detailed map (or GPS with same) of the area I think I'm in
2) small wideband ham handie talkie (5W)
3) spare alkaline batteries for 2), and 1) if GPS (they can use AAs)
4) Leatherman tool or larger folder
5) Tylenol No. 1 (i.e. with codeine)

[6) lotsa luck]

Explanation:
1) so I know what my options are, and can tell people where I am with 2).

2) it makes good sense to preprogram with any VHF/UHF etc. repeaters in the neighborhood before you go. If you can't get somebody legally, when things get desperate you can hail somebody illegally (military, police, SAR, taxi...). Those who are licensed know the type of transceivers I mean. Can easily reach many miles. Whereas if you can hit a cell tower, you can't really be too lost...

5) I know I can go days without food. But I get a terrible headache. Also if the sun is really hot. Can't think straight with a bad head. The codeine kills the headache and also completely dries me up, including sweating etc. Very useful for me, all my kits have it in them.

I am glad to see people mentioned a metal cup. My little pouch SK is based around the smallest Sierra cup. Really useful item, though the shape isn't the most convenient space-wise for packing, but it works. In this scenario water isn't an issue though.
Posted by: smitty

Re: What are your "core" essentials? - 06/18/07 02:53 AM

1. Good fixed blade knife
2. 22 rimfire rifle with ammunition
3. Small cooking pot
4. Water container
5. Lots of paracord

smitty
Posted by: ironraven

Re: What are your "core" essentials? - 06/18/07 03:22 AM

1) Knife, medium sized (5-7") clip or drop point carbon steel blade of very good or better quality, with a strong butt
2) Ferrorod, a nice thick one 4 to 5" long
3) Multitool, with saw and file
4) Metal cup/pot, .75 to 1L capacity
5) Cordage

note: if by "survival issues aside like... fire" you mean we don't need to worry about a ferro rod, bump everything else up, and it becomes a toss up between good local maps or a spool of wire.
Posted by: hamilton

Re: What are your "core" essentials? - 06/18/07 05:13 AM

It would depend alot on the situation and location, but I think this is pretty basic if I need to rebuild edc immediately.

1)knife
2)Fire starting material
3)rope, or some other lashing material
4)blanket
5)raincoat or poncho

By the way, this list will remain the same for most situations except for differances in form.

In the woods it could a sharp rock for the knife, a fire spindle, wild grape vines for expedient lashing, a brush shelter for protection against rain, and leaves and grass for a blanket. There are other things I would want, but these are my first five concerns in most situations.

Outside my house, it could be supplemental stuff that I keep inside grin

Really the idea is to keep me warm and going until I can gather other things I may need (a pot to boil water, food, medical supplies, flashlight, ect.)

Key words that may be overlooked..... - 06/18/07 07:44 AM

I think that this issue has been talked about but I nothing
receintly I've found. So here goes..

I take this to mean that you have nothing but the clothes that are on your back, literally

I take this to mean that survival priorities are not to be confused with those items that you would want to acquire or look for as in: water, food, and shelter are not provided

Perhaps I am reading this wrong or I am guilty of "interpreting" DLR's post incorrectly (I am out in LaLa land again, wandering around behind the cattle).

Please re-read the original post carefully and tell me if I am wrong.

Re: Key words that may be overlooked..... - 06/18/07 04:26 PM

OK,

Thanks for the replies all. You all have pretty much the same ideas I have. Knife, fire starter of some sort, cord/rope, canteen or cup.

Yes, wildman800, you got it right. I'm asking about actual, physical items you want to get first. The tools you need to get what you need.

Let me put it another way. You are suddenly thrust into a situation. You can only have 5 things. What are they?

Hear's a kicker: You have no idea what that "situation" is. It could be artic plane crash, maybe local, door-to-door civil unrest, You stop your car to take a leak in a remote wilderness area and the car catches on fire and burns to the ground (Seen it happen). Or [insert sudden situation here], whatever.

Anyway, I hope that's clear as mud.

DLR
Posted by: Frank2135

Re: Key words that may be overlooked..... - 06/18/07 05:00 PM

Interesting question, and I find my reaction to it interesting, too. My first thought was of a knife or multi-tool, but honestly, is having that the top priority? I also realized that my approach to survival is influenced heavily by what I am honestly likely to run into in my region. If you told me I was headed out into the high desert or the Costa Rican jungle, I might tweak it just a bit.

Anyway, in no particular order:
1. folding knife or multi-tool (take your pick, opinions vary)
2. military-style poncho (for shelter, catching rain water, etc)
3. water bottle (filled, preferably)
4. bic-type lighter (or firesteel, again, opinions vary)
5. 40' of 1/2" nylon rope

Why the rope? In many emergency and near-emergency situations there is a need for a length for rope to climb, lower, secure, rescue, restrain, protect, anchor, etc., someone or something. I chose the 1/2" nylon because it's strong enough for a lot of applications, but 40' is not too heavy to carry, and it's easy to splice. You can also unlay the strands and end up with 120' of cord, should you need to.

I thought long and hard about cup vs. water bottle, but opted for the ability to carry some water with me. I'll have to work out how to boil it along the way, I guess.

Since I opted for no compass or map, finding that way will require some careful thought. In my region I know the night sky well enough to hold a rough course for most of the night, if it's clear enough. I also know the prevailing wind patterns, so a steady breeze is likely to give me a rough bearing.

No signalling equipment - I am assuming I am mobile and uninjured, or else I would trade a cell phone or at least a whistle for the rope.

Re: Key words that may be overlooked..... - 06/18/07 05:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Frank2135
I thought long and hard about cup vs. water bottle, but opted for the ability to carry some water with me. I'll have to work out how to boil it along the way, I guess.

You know, I thought the same thing.

I'd like to have both. And, with our interest in multi-use items, maybe we can come up with something.

I'm thinking a metal water bottle (Alum, steel or Ti), that doubles as a cook pot with a removable top. Maybe there's something out there already?

Maybe something like a nalgene bottle that un-screws at the top shoulder. Remove the o-ring and cook away...

Heck, it could even be a metal pot with a plastic lid with a canteen top built in.

DLR

Re: Key words that may be overlooked..... - 06/18/07 06:00 PM

Originally Posted By: DLR
I'm thinking a metal water bottle (Alum, steel or Ti), that doubles as a cook pot with a removable top. Maybe there's something out there already?

Maybe something like a nalgene bottle that un-screws at the top shoulder. Remove the o-ring and cook away...

Heck, it could even be a metal put with a plastic lid with a canteen top built in.

Not a bad thought!

For sheer utility, though, it would be hard to beat the military-style canteen nested inside the folding wire-handled canteen cup. That would be 2 items under the rules of this particular exercise, but for real world use, I wonder if it might not be the best way to go?
Posted by: bigreddog

Re: What are your "core" essentials? - 06/19/07 02:00 PM

1. Knife (probably a multitool in an urban environment, fixed blade in the wilds)
2. Firestarter (probably a good lighter, even a bic - that constant flame beats a ferro rod for me)
3. Flashlight of some kind
4. Shelter (poncho would be most versatile, heatsheet would be second choice)
5. Signalling kit (whistle etc)

Bonus things - metal cooking pot, waterbottle, first aid kit, cordage, cash etc.

But short term - shelter, flashlight and whistle are probably most vital
Posted by: norad45

Re: What are your "core" essentials? - 06/19/07 02:17 PM

1. Poncho
2. Bic lighter
3. Knife
4. 3# metal coffee can (nice if it was full :D)
5. Compass
Posted by: teacher

Re: What are your "core" essentials? - 06/19/07 03:52 PM

my kit more urban, so...

1. cell phone
2. cash
3. pen
4. sunglasses
5. jacket

Posted by: JIM

Re: What are your "core" essentials? - 06/19/07 04:14 PM

1 Epirb (or cell-phone)
2 Knife (fixed-blade or folder)
3 Fire-steel
4 Poncho
5 something to cook in, like a mess-tin or billycan

I think everybody has got about the same idea on the essentials.

Re: What are your "core" essentials? - 06/19/07 04:55 PM

Ok, here's where I was going with this...

Many times, I talk to people who are keen on survival and get their ideas. Besides, if you can show me a better way of doing something, I'll steal your idea...

Too many times, when asked this question, some try to apply it to specific situations. Like urban or wilderness, desert or artic, on the road or off...you get the idea...They try and tailor the kit for the situation. And we know, from experience, that grabbing your BOB isn't an option sometimes. So now what?

What we have is several items now that keep coming up. Knife, fire starter, canteen, cover and some sort of cordage.

Now, How many of us EDC all of this? If you do, how?

Thoughts, ideas?

DLR
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: What are your "core" essentials? - 06/19/07 04:55 PM

1 Fallkniven A2 Wilderness knife.
2 Thuraya SG-2520 Satellite/GSM Phone with inbuilt GPS.
3 PHDesigns Sleeping bag with Goretex outer cover
4 Swedish Army Firesteel.
5 Kelly Kettle (largest model).

Posted by: falcon5000

Re: What are your "core" essentials? - 06/19/07 04:58 PM

Here's my 2 cents (remember batteries are useless after a few days):

1)Bolo Knife (or a big chopping knife, example:dogfather,battle mistress or machete, something durable)
2)Big Ferro rod http://www.ferrocerium.com/splashPage.hg
3)Poncho (Biggest and thickest I could find)(Not the cheap $5.00 ones that rip easy, military style works great as well)
4)32 oz Stainless Steel Bottle http://www.guyotdesigns.com/stainlessbottles?sc=11&category=-111
5)NSN #: 6605-01-196-6971 Military issue tritium Compass http://www.uscav.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=7587

If stuck with only 5 items, this is what I would have to say.

1. My goal would be to get out and get rescued as soon as possible and I can make cordage in lue of paricord so what I chose was the compass instead of waisting time for bearings with the stick/watch method or stars the compass; I chose will work anywhere in the world (No sticking due to dip in different zones) and has tritium sites for navigating in total darkness with over a 10 years of glowing. The Epirb is great but is limited to batteries. The Epirb would be better than the compass if you knew someone would get you in 2 days but if it went beyond that I would opt for the compass. The compass will be with me until I became bear food.
Now, if I lived more up north in the cold weather, I would probably ditch the poncho and go with the EPIRB due to the poncho will only buy me minutes if not hours in the cold and I would try to make shelter in the snow by digging a small cave.

2. The big knife allows me to get firewood, make shelter, dig, clear trails, kill and clean small game, polish it for a signal mirror, make fire sticks, cordage etc..

3. Poncho for shelter andfor traveling on the rain, emergency cloths, collect water, and if you get it in bright colors you can use it for signaling and rescue.

4. I chose the 32 oz stainless steel over caring 2 items like a canteen and a cup or nalgine and a cup. ( The rules were set at 5 items and a cup and canteen are 2 items) I can boil water and carry 32 oz of water, use a steripen if I was allowed to carry it, use it for signaling by polishing the bottom, etc.. The 32 oz is a descent size for water, the more water on hand the better.

5.A big ferro rod to start fires because it's waterproof and durable and will last years of strikes. But if giving more space, I would also carry the peanut lighter as well.

I had to sacrifice the light due to the 5 core materials, but with the ferro rod, I would try to get a fire going before dusk but I would try to feel my way to a tree (in theory) and go for trying to find some tinder that is off the ground and make fuzz sticks or shave the inner bark of the tree and try to get fire this way, then go for a torch and look for sap to keep the torch going for a long time. A flash light is only as good as your batteries, that's why I carry a small hand crank one as a back up but it would not be in the core material.

Posted by: Craig_phx

Re: What are your "core" essentials? - 06/19/07 05:53 PM

I'll cheat a little!

1. Adventure Medical Kits Ultralight .7 first-aid kit
2. Adventure Medical Kits Personal Survival Pack
3. Adventure Medical Kits 2 person Heatsheet
4. Nalgene 32 oz water bottle
5. Olicamp - Space Saver Cup-16 oz.

Re: What are your "core" essentials? - 06/19/07 08:50 PM

EDC on my person? No, at least not all of it. My personal kit is in my briefcase, and includes only about 6' of paracord and no canteen or cup (it does have folded up heavy duty aluminum foil, though, for improvising a cup/pot). It does include a lighter and a flint and tinder and various other useful items.

In my medium bag in the back of my car, I do have a couple of water bottles and about 25' of heavier cord in addition the firestarting stuff, etc., and I do have two ponchos back there as well.

Frank2135
Posted by: cajun_kw

Re: What are your "core" essentials? - 06/20/07 07:56 PM

1. Knife
2. cordage
3. cup
4. LED light (small)
5. E-blanket or E-poncho

Given option of specific choices, I have preferences.
1. 5" K-Bar
2. real para-cord, the more the better 20' is good start.
3. Olicamp cup
4. Photon II Micro-light
5. Heat Sheets E-blanket or E-bag.

drink time - 06/20/07 11:53 PM

at last, Blast, I get to drink a beer!!!!
Posted by: Stu

Re: What are your "core" essentials? - 06/21/07 01:37 AM

1. Bark River Bravo-1 knife
2. 40oz Klean Kanteen Stainless Steel, can boil water in.
3. AMK PSP as modified by me.
4. Bivanorak http://www.hilleberg.com/2006%20Products/NewBivanorak.htm
5. Ruger 10/22 rifle Stainless, synethetic stock, 2-9 wide angle scope and 1000 rd pack ammo.