Ditch kit (pic warning for 56K)

Posted by: ironraven

Ditch kit (pic warning for 56K) - 06/09/07 08:04 AM

I promised pics of this guy a while ago. Sorry to people who've been patient, you should have kicked me sooner. :P And since insomnia sucks, I'll put them up now. Already the pics are dated, but here goes.

Purpose: The ditch kit is an intermediate step between a PSK and a BOB. The ditch kit contains the basic, core equipment that you need during a survival or evacuation scenario. It should be carried seperatly from the BOB, or attached to BOB in a manner that lets you shed BOB and extract the ditch kit in 30 seconds or less. The ditch kit should be within arms reach when not on your person while in the field. As a result, everything other than extended medical, food and water supplies and heavier shelter equipment should be duplicated between the ditch kit and BOB, or only in the ditch kit.

Design: My ditch kit built on a Tactical Tailor two piece MAV body. While this does violate my usual advice against looking too "tacticool", a rural scenario and a general lack of (para-)military bearing on my part mitigate that. (I hope.) The MAV was selected becuase it can be worn on the chest, as designed, or by adjusting the shoulder straps (10 seconds), as a kind of lumbar pack. When worn on the chest, it does not interfere with the use of back pack, and can be worn closed or open (much more relaxed looking and less intimidating). It is also much easier to get on and off, particularly in winter clothing or in a hurry.

Attached to the MAV are a pair of CountyComm EOD bags for equipment, and a pair of ammo pouches that carry half liter Nalgene bottles. The EOD bags were selected for thier size, lack of "designer" labels, and quality. Each of these has had a pair of cinch straps wrapped around them to lessen the bounce of the gear. The ammo pouches were selected becuase they fit the left over space, the bottles fit in them, and they were on hand.

Contents:

The right hand side contains miscellaneous items that are good but not critical to have. (more on this later)

Going counter clockwise:
-Drop cloth, 2mil, 9x12. Shelter building.
-Whipped potato packet (shiny and red item). Dinner.
-Light meals packet (other shiny item, sorry about the glare) 4 slim jims, 4 granola bars, 12 starburst candies, 2 packets e'mergen'c supplement powder.
-Fire pouch- 2x cases lacquered strike anywheres matches, mini bic, 3 small candles (tinder), cotton balls (tinder)
-work gloves
-mesh safety vest
-tupperware container with a Gundig 100 miniature AM/FM/SW receiver, 8 AA, 4 AAA and 2 CR123
-Cutter Advanced insect repellent
-6 wet ones
-sun block
-purell
-sisal twine
-flagging tape
-aluminum foil, folded (since replaced with a larger peice)
-TP
-white Krill lamp, attached with a mini-biner, attached to the inside of the bag and shown here flipped out.
-mini Nalgene, since replaced a rectangular lab-grade Nalgene of similar capacity.
-Not shown: spool of solid core speaker wire (strip it as needed)

The two panels of the MAV vest/harness are actually map pockets. In here are small items that might require rapid access but are small and flat.

Again, going counter clockwise:
-5' of 1" tubular nylon webbing (the black object on the left), very versatile.
-repair kit with 1" and 1.5" replacement buckles, triglides and an annex clip.
-2 HD contractor bags. Each is in a ziplock to protect the bag from friction, and becuase it is a good place for a couple of ziplocks. One of these is carried in each panel.
-Paracord, approx 50'. It is in four bundles to make it easier to manage, and packed in a ziplock to lessen the risk of it getting tangled.

The left side is my more critical items. I'm not sure why, it just worked out that way. If I have to, this bag can be removed from the MAV harness quickly and carried on it's own if further reduction in visability, bulk or mass is dictacted by the situation.

-mini Nalgene bottle (like the other, this bottle has since been swapped for a square one)
-1 pair socks. Socks are good.
-hair pick, easier to pack than a brush
-zip ties
-match case
-AMK Heatsheet emergency bivy
-Esbit stove (the grey and black stripy thing) with six tablets, aluminum wind sheilds and mini bic. Packed in a carboard sleeve to keep it from rubbing against other items and ziplocked to keep it dry.
-watch cap, with core survival kit inside, wrapped in two one-gallon ziplocks
-FAK
-light meal pack, as above
-laminated copy of Doug Ritter's emergency instructions (thanks for giving away the PDF, Doug!)
-not shown: 4 cut down and laminated sheets of blaze orange paper, pre punched for holes

The core survival kit is packed in a French(?) surplus two piece mess tin.
-1 pouch with 4 bags of green tea, 8 sugar packets, 4 True Lemon packets
-4 Walnettos
-4 ramen seasoning packets (2 beef, 2 chicken)
-Match case w/ laquered strike anywheres matches, 3 stay lit birthday candles
-8 assorted safety pins
-2' fish tank tubing
-2 mini glow lights, with built in clips for fishing poles (holds onto anything)
-3 breast milk bags
-pencil stub, unsharpened
-MagLite Solitaire (batteries are common and I can rebuild it by touch) with two spare bulbs in the base
-spare AAA battery
-Victorinox Camper
-10 immodium
-bottle of Potable Aqua
-bottle of PA+ neutralizer
-magnesium fire starter (cut down) with a piece of hacksaw blade , a small file and a craftsman 4-way coin screwdriver attached
-full sparklite kit
-tube with duct tape, red electricans tape, 20# spider wire, glasses screws
-tube with 20# spider wire, snare wire, fishing kit:
--12 assorted hooks
--large fish hook/gaff, with tack
--10 assorted needles, including one for a sewing machine to use as a micro awl
--8 screw eyes (2 large, 6 small)
--8 sinkers
--3 swivels
--5 US dimes
--several assorted sequins (bait)
-micro screwdriver, with a 3/64" drill bit, large awl needle, awl/scribe, 2 mini philips drivers, 2 mini standard drivers inside
-small spool sewing thread
-small vial each of salt, chili powder
-zip ties
-3 fishing leaders
-3' square of caterer's grade heavy duty foil
-mini wound kit (2 2x2s, 4 1x3" bandaids, 1 knuckle bandaid, 1 fingertip)
-8 tinderquiks scattered about the kit and several short lengths sisal twine

The FAK is based on the older style USGI design. It is wrapped wita length of red, 1" nylon web with a double adjust buckle. A whistle is clipped to the top of the webbing where it can found day or night by touch.
-1 pr nitrile gloves
-1 trauma dressing (the older military type)
-1 cravate
-1 3" roller gauze
-4 4x4 gauze
-4 bandaids
-2 knuckle bandaids
-2 fingertip bandaids
-6 closure strips
-1 small roll of duct tape (I bet everyone saw that coming)
-3 provo-iodine wipes
-4 alcohol wipes
-12 asprin
-12 tylenol
-12 advil (I know, the three are redundent, but each works better for something for me- tylenol for the head, advil for the body, asprin when I'm sick)
-20 immodium
-6 benydril
-8 sudafed (the real thing, not the reformulated junk)
-1 pr tweezers
-1 surgical prep razor, 2 razor blades
-8 medium safety pins
-1 pr earplugs
-mini bic (spare)
-inventory sheet

To be added:
-Another match case (left side)
-replace drop cloth with tyvek sheeting (right side) much stronger
-compass (left side)
-better meal, probably an MRE entree (right side)
-Mainstay package (right side)
-spare pair of glasses (left side)
-possibly a spare mug of some type for brewing tea, and thus a brew kit (right side if done)
-better flashlight
-replace Krill with Glo-Toob FX, several of them in different colors
-normal people camoflauge, possibly buttons or patches held on with velcro

As you can see, this will probably never be completed to my satisfaction. As it is, it is currently the largest of my kits that is stood to at all times, and lives next to my bed.

Those who've been here a while might think this looks familiar, It is. This is the updated version of the ditch kit, the older version was shown here about 18 months ago. That was clipped to the bottom of my pack frame and was rather precarious in the position, or carried on the chest and I'd strain my shoulder 10% of the time getting it unclipped behind my back. This is lighter, easier to get on and off, and allows the ditch kit to be carried utterly independently of the pack.
Posted by: wildman800

Re: Ditch kit (pic warning for 56K) - 06/09/07 08:24 AM

This is the same line of thinking that I've applied to my "at work" BoB. I can shed some gear if need be and I can still move freely while walking or running.

I still have to split some gear between bags (MRE's with water), and move some items (of lesser importance) into bags that would be shed first and easily (quickly) if the need arose.

I really like the use of your ammo pouches to carry water. They might also be good to carry a FAK, TP, and small incidentals.
Posted by: MDinana

Re: Ditch kit (pic warning for 56K) - 06/09/07 03:11 PM

I've kind of been thinking about buying this:
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MOLLE302-19881-1976.html

MajorSurplus has one identical in features, but 25% larger, for $10 more.

Has anyone looked at this/own one? I recently upgraded my car supplies into a tri-fold medic kit, and think this would serve well for an intermediate add-on to my 72hr bag.

Ironraven, now to you! I'd add an Ace wrap to your FAK (preferably a 3", unless you're a big guy, then go 4"). Also, maybe a few 1-gal freezer bags, in case you need some transpiration bags for H2O? A couple of carabiners?
Posted by: JIM

Re: Ditch kit (pic warning for 56K) - 06/09/07 09:36 PM

Nice kit and bags!

Do you still plan to add the poncho+liner to the kit in a actual bug-out? If not, add some sort of raingear.

Posted by: Nicodemus

Re: Ditch kit (pic warning for 56K) - 06/10/07 12:13 AM

The kit looks good. I'm working on a similar idea, but call it the MiniBOB. It attaches to my large BOB, or can be taken by itself depending on the situation.

One thing in your list has me wondering...

What is "normal people camoflauge"? Are you talking about buttons and patches that make the setup look less "tactical"?

Thanks for showing your ditch kit.
Posted by: stealthedc

Re: Ditch kit (pic warning for 56K) - 06/10/07 02:14 AM

Nice kit. I have a similar one that is with me wherever I go. I just call it my personal kit.

I am big on minimal weight. How much does it weigh? Since you have so much fire starting equipment, is the esbit really necessary? If this is in between a PSK and BOB, how come so much fire starting?

The drop cloth seems to take up alot of space and you already have 2 HD contractor bags.

I like the fanny pack idea of carrying. My kit that would be along the same lines as this is a fanny pack with a detachable shoulder strap which in effect could be a shoulder bag. In doing many hikes and knowing my body and my warm-bloodedness, let me say the fanny is great because it does not provoke the back sweat.

No knives? I EDC a LM Blast, LM Micra and LM c301, but I have a small folder in my ditch bag.

How about a monocular? An eyeglass repair kit?

Those are my initial thoughts. I am thinking of purchasing the AMK Bivy. Right now I just have the heetsheet, which I EDC on body.

Posted by: stealthedc

Re: Ditch kit (pic warning for 56K) - 06/10/07 02:19 AM

Oops, Victorinox Camper. Sorry. I have that model too and really like it...

Oh yeah, I wanted to ask:

I EDC on body my radio. It is a crappy Coby AM/FM radio with earbuds that rides in my shirt pocket. Is the Grundig 100 practical for "on body" carry?
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Ditch kit (pic warning for 56K) - 06/10/07 03:34 AM

I've just gotta ask...you edc four or five knives, and you think he is too heavy on firestarting???

Re: Ditch kit (pic warning for 56K) - 06/10/07 03:36 AM

*grins* You missed the two 1 gallon freezer bags that I've got the core kit in, but there is certainly room for a few more. And there are a lot of one quart models in there. There is a mini biner in each of the EOD bags, but if I find some full sized ones that have been retired (they don't need to take a few thousand pounds, just a few hundred) I might swap them out. As for the ACE wrap... I've never been able to master the art of putting one on myself. And my playful knee is in a sports brace if I'm hiking or hunting.

The pouch you're looking at is a knock off of the Maxped Proteus. It's ok for what it is, but if I didn't want to spend the money for the origional, then I'd go with the TOPS version. I've looked at this guy in person, it didn't excite me.

Re: Ditch kit (pic warning for 56K) - 06/10/07 03:41 AM

The contractor bags can serve as emergency ponchos if need be. There isn't enough room in this kit for a ranger roll, and my proto-woobie and poncho are part of BOB or in my pack if I'm hiking or hunting. If had to dash out the door, I'd grab the ditch kit and BOB at this point- my practices and procedures have been modified and BOB is about 70% complete at any one time, including wet weather gear.

Re: Ditch kit (pic warning for 56K) - 06/10/07 03:45 AM

Originally Posted By: Nicodemus
What is "normal people camoflauge"? Are you talking about buttons and patches that make the setup look less "tactical"?

Yep. Anything that helps make me of the large stature, long hair and big beard look less like a homicidal backwoodsman/mercenary/biker and more like a hippy, junior grade. :P I've really come to like MOLLE for this becuase I can put velcro on the backs of the patches, and just run 1" wide strips of the other side of 'cro down the inside of the channels. If I need to pull them off, just takes a few seconds.

Re: Ditch kit (pic warning for 56K) - 06/10/07 04:05 AM

Not sure on the weight, maybe 8-10 pounds. Most of this stuff is pretty small, my total volume here is less than a cubic foot and it's hanging about my navel. Keep in mind that BOB is extra gear, this is the critical stuff. BOB holds more food, more water, more FAK, more shelter, more socks, better knife, better light....

There is a Vic Hiker in the core kit, along with a glasses repair kit. I EDC a LM Supertool, pocket knife (varies some), Micra (key ring), Squirt E4 (bag of tricks) and Vic Camper (bag of tricks); BOB has a spare Ka-bar attached to him. Not worried about sharps. smile

The drop cloth is bulky and somewhat fragile, that's why I want to replace it with a slightly smaller tyvek. I had one of these that I cut down, but it wouldn't repack properly and ended up taking more room than it did before I cut it down. Machine rolled vs hand rolled. frown

The redundancy on fire starting gear is the result of repeated hypothermia and frost bite. I don't fear the cold, but sure as the sun rises I respect it, the same way I do a catamount. And I don't trust my skills at building a fire with a bow drill, not at 30 below. I'd rather have it in the kit that I don't even have to take off to get into- personal preference.

And the esbit is there becuase building a fire, while easy, can also be a pain in the butt. I'm afraid part of my "STOP" list includes making tea in one of the two halves of the mess kit that the core kit lives in. If sitting down, thinking, and looking around while the tea brews gets me unstuck in ten minutes, I'd rather not have to spend time being 110% positive that a fire is out. Also keep in mind my situation- rural roads. I honestly don't want to leave much of a trail unless I choose to.

And I agree about the buttpack. But they don't work as well with a full pack, but a chest rig does. Having tried to jury rig the old carrier for my ditch kit into a chest rig for many years I eventually gave up and bought something made to work the way I wanted it. And this thing breaths wonderfully, better than any vest I've ever worn even though it has all the practical space of a modular vest, due to the lack of a back.

Re: Ditch kit (pic warning for 56K) - 06/10/07 04:13 AM

The Grundig is very practical, IMO. No need for ear buds, and it's about the size of a pack of 100-size cigarettes. It handles AM/FM and most of the shortwave spectrum- I just wish it also handled analog TV and aviation bands, but we can't have everything.

Re: Ditch kit (pic warning for 56K) - 06/10/07 05:44 AM

8, maybe 10 pounds. When I pick it up by the straps, it feels about has heavy as my Garand. :P It just rides better.

Re: Ditch kit (pic warning for 56K) - 06/10/07 01:56 PM

Originally Posted By: ironraven
8, maybe 10 pounds. When I pick it up by the straps, it feels about has heavy as my Garand. :P It just rides better.

So, evidently, offering you 8 to 10lbs of hiking/survival gear should be a good trade for that Garand.... smile

(super jealous right about now)

Re: Ditch kit (pic warning for 56K) - 06/11/07 04:42 AM

Yeah, right. :P

That's not a family heirloom like the Carbine, but I wouldn't trade the Garand for anything. It has never failed to fire, never hiccuped, never complained when I fed it junk ammo, and it hits what I aim at. And I can leave enblocs loaded just about forever without worry.

Re: Ditch kit (pic warning for 56K) - 06/11/07 01:57 PM

"...The greatest battle implement ever devised..."

Gen George S. Patton. He was kinda goofy at times, but he got it right on that one...
Posted by: norad45

Re: Ditch kit (pic warning for 56K) - 06/11/07 02:35 PM

Nice job. I'm presently working on my vehicle BOB and was interested in this statement:
Quote:
It should be carried seperatly from the BOB, or attached to BOB in a manner that lets you shed BOB and extract the ditch kit in 30 seconds or less.

That got me to thinking about how long it would take me to exit the cab of my truck, unlock the shell (2 locks), and grab my BOB. So I timed it. It took 18 seconds. But that was in daylight with no stress. I do carry an augmented NRA Survival tool kit in the cab but you've got me thinking I might want to--no, make that need to--add a few more items to what I already keep there. Ah, just what I needed--another kit. Thanks a lot! grin
Posted by: teacher

Re: Ditch kit (pic warning for 56K) - 06/11/07 03:02 PM

5 US dimes...?

Re: Ditch kit (pic warning for 56K) - 06/11/07 04:39 PM

Originally Posted By: teacher
5 US dimes...?

I'm guessing it's either to bribe the fish if they don't bite, or if you only have half-shots of booze, where 'quarters' is too much.
Posted by: Frank2135

Re: Ditch kit (pic warning for 56K) - 06/11/07 04:46 PM

All I can say is wow. Extremely well thought out, practical medium kit (as I call it). I'm stealing ideas as we speak.
The screw eyes - great idea.
I substituted a couple of pre-packaged insect-repellant wipes ( http://www.first-aid-product.com/industrial/insect-repellent-and-relief.htm )for my bottle of Cutters a while back. I like 'em quite a bit.

Re: Ditch kit (pic warning for 56K) - 06/13/07 05:51 AM

Cost fifty cents to use a pay phone around here these days, and it was as good as place as any to put them. Keeps them from rattling.

If it sounds silly but it works, it isn't silly. :P

Re: Ditch kit (pic warning for 56K) - 06/13/07 05:56 AM

Part of this reasoning was if I've got to cross a river and tow BOB or try to squirm through a small space and drag BOB on a line attached to my belt- if I've got to break away for some reason, I'm not SOL.

The time limit has to do with certain tactical requirements. Hopefully they never come to pass, heck I hope I never need to use BOB for anything other than camping, but no sense in not planning it out. Probably just paranoia, but....

Re: Ditch kit (pic warning for 56K) - 06/13/07 05:58 AM

I got the idea for screw eyes from someone else. smile Borrow away.

Re: Ditch kit (pic warning for 56K) - 06/13/07 06:07 AM

Keep in mind, this is a layer. BOB is a lot more than 10 pounds, mostly water and food and shelter.

The pick is becuase I have long hair, and I can't stand it being snarled. It drives me to distraction, like a wedgie or a t-shirt tag or an untied shoe lace. And my nervous habit is brushing my hair... And yes, that might explain why the hairline is going towards my spine. smile (Although I prefer the idea that my hair is really making a strategic retreat down my back, and is planning on regrouping and attacking, using the uninvolved parties of my chest hair as cover when they make their move against the premature grey in my beard. *grins* I admit it, I'm furry.)

Breast milk bags becuase they seal better. If I'm down to just the gear in the left side pouch (again, layers) I don't want to take extra chances.

And yes, it is very redundant for the fire lighting gear. I suck with a firebow, and I've been hypothermia and frost bitten enough times that while it isn't a phobia it's something I don't want to risk. I also have most of my fire making gear in the ditch kit, rather than BOB. BOB is extra, the ditch kit is the essentials.

Re: Ditch kit (pic warning for 56K) - 06/13/07 01:39 PM

If you can find a pay phone that actually works anymore...

Re: Ditch kit (pic warning for 56K) - 06/14/07 02:46 AM

Where I go camping, if I go over the backside of a mountain there is a small store that is closed in the winter, but thier payphone works. At least it hadn't been cherrybombed as of a month ago. smile

Re: Ditch kit (pic warning for 56K) - 06/14/07 02:02 PM

I keep 2 quarters in my outdoor PSK for the same reason. In my case, it's for the occasional ski lodge payphone.
Posted by: teacher

Re: Ditch kit (pic warning for 56K) - 06/14/07 07:32 PM

you could also carry an old, charged cell phone-- they usually don't need to be on a contract to dial 911

Re: Ditch kit (pic warning for 56K) - 06/14/07 07:38 PM

I always carry my regular cell, but there is rarely any signal where I am at.

I've carried quarters in my outdoors kit for about 20 years now. With all the changes in technology, it may be time to remove them.
Posted by: wildman800

Quarters in your kit - 06/14/07 08:35 PM

I too, have carried quarters, dimes, & nickels in my BoB for years & years. I have found myself marooned more than once in BFE but in the vicinity of pay phones and vending machines, which made the waiting for retrival much easier on me.

I will continue this habit!!

I like the old cell phone idea,,Thanks!!
Posted by: Eugene

Re: Quarters in your kit - 06/14/07 10:50 PM

Years ago when I first signed up for long distance they gave me one of those personal 800 numbers. I used it once and it cost me something like $14 but its there if I would ever need it. have a calling card still too. Last few times I've stopped at pay phones the keypad disconnects once the call has been made so you can't enter the calling card number or voicemail password, and thats with the few phones I could find that actually worked.
Something I used to have in my truck that was stolen was a butt set , or telephone test set. Its like a telephone that has alligator clips on the end so you can open the telco distribution box and clip on a pair and make a call. Its called a butt set because it hangs from the service person's belt at their behind. I see them go on ebay cheap every now and then. Could also pick up a POT (plain old telephone) and clip the cord and add clips on it and put a switch for the button on it.

Re: Ditch kit (pic warning for 56K) - 06/15/07 12:36 AM

*laughs*

You should see where I go. Cell towers? Some of the houses (mostly camps) in these places don't even have electricity.
Posted by: Eugene

Re: Ditch kit (pic warning for 56K) - 06/15/07 04:34 PM

I'm noticing too that as the analog cells are being taken offline that there are more places I don't get a signal. My cousin down by my parents farm and I have already mounted CB radios in our trucks bacsue we could no longer call each other.
Posted by: hiker1

Re: Ditch kit (pic warning for 56K) - 10/18/07 12:24 AM

With all the stuff you put in your ditch kit and with whatever you put in your BOB, we must be related. Some people think I'm nuts for packing all this stuff, but you know who they run to when they're in trouble with no food, no water, no fire, no medical supplies.........

Re: Ditch kit (pic warning for 56K) - 10/19/07 01:58 AM

Hi newguy.

Missouri... no known relatives out that way. smile
Posted by: SoarnEagle

Re: Ditch kit (pic warning for 56K) - 10/19/07 02:38 AM

My "Ditch Kit" is a "tool roll" that serves as a carrier. The kit itself is below with a few items not shown...

Resublimated Iodine Crystals...
My knifes and Toolman which are on my belt...
Another Striker on my keychain...
A compass in my shirt/coat vest pocket...
A photon light and a small "Farraday shaker light"
2 more garbage bags and another bandana that roll into the kit...
Work gloves that I wear....
A coffee can for a shovel, cookpot, water canteen, etc ec etc..
And a 10X10 tarp for shelter that envelops the entire kit to waterproof it.

JHayes.. where in Missouri? I am in the South Central part of the state...

- Soarn

Re: Ditch kit (pic warning for 56K) - 10/19/07 03:27 AM

"...A coffee can for a shovel, cookpot, water canteen, etc ec etc..."

I've gotta say, that is one tough coffee can!!!

Posted by: SoarnEagle

Re: Ditch kit (pic warning for 56K) - 10/19/07 03:44 AM

OBG...

I'm not sure by your post if you are serious or mocking me. Most of my friends also use a coffee quite exclusively. Many of them are some of the foremost teachers in the US. I am surprised that you have never used a coffee can.. It is quite expedient.

BTW.. I probably should have said that I use a metal coffee can.. not the new plastic ones.. LOL!

- Soarn

Re: Ditch kit (pic warning for 56K) - 10/19/07 04:15 AM

Not mocking, or as least not intended to. But I have used a (metal) coffee can for all kinds of things over the years, in fact I still do. But in my experience, using one as a shovel can really ruin it for much of anything else...