Let's talk about Canada !

Posted by: BigCityHillbilly

Let's talk about Canada ! - 06/07/07 04:38 PM

Canada is beautiful.

It serves as a natural attraction for people like us.

I started this thread because there is SO MUCH that I'd like to learn about Canada ...

LW.
Posted by: gl347

Re: Let's talk about Canada ! - 01/13/08 12:46 PM

What would you like to learn about Canada?
Posted by: CityBoyGoneCountry

Re: Let's talk about Canada ! - 01/13/08 12:59 PM

It's freakin cold.
Posted by: Roarmeister

Re: Let's talk about Canada ! - 01/13/08 04:29 PM

It's only -10*C today. I can do that anytime. Almost ready to break a sweat! It's when the windchill kicks in and -40* that you really begin to feel it.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Let's talk about Canada ! - 01/13/08 04:54 PM

I can tell you that both BC and Yukon are beautiful, even with the bark beetle killing trees by the jillions. The people are super friendly, but in the Yukon they will pass over double yellow lines in a blind curve. And BC really stands for Bring Cash. Two years ago we paid over $5 (Canadian) a gallon for regular gas. If we didn't have about 30 more states down here to visit we would go back in a heartbeat...
Posted by: Hookpunch

Re: Let's talk about Canada ! - 01/13/08 05:54 PM

Originally Posted By: CityBoyGoneCountry
It's freakin cold.

Depends on where you are, Toronto is the same latitude as Boston so there are plenty of places colder than Toronto in the U.S.

Vancouver is probably the mildest city in the country as far as weather and likely the best if you like outdoor activities.
Posted by: CSG

Re: Let's talk about Canada ! - 01/13/08 05:58 PM

Always liked Alberta and BC, especially VI, but now that I need a passport for me and each member of my family, not interested. We've got too much to see in the USA still.
Posted by: samhain

Re: Let's talk about Canada ! - 01/13/08 06:31 PM

Based on the documentary series "Southpark" Canadians are funny looking with bi-sected heads.

Ok, I got my token joke in.

I would love to visit Canada. There's much I admire about Canada and much yet to learn.

Sometimes, when the political stupidity in my neck of the swamp gets too damned embarrassing, I fantasize about migrating northward. I just need to learn to speak Canadian first grin

So far, I haven't met a Canadian I didn't like (and the women I've met from there were cute). wink

Posted by: Taurus

Re: Let's talk about Canada ! - 01/13/08 07:17 PM

It sure is one hell of a nice place to be born isn’t it? Too bad most people here take that for granted. I wish they could see how life is in other, less fortunate parts of the world. The things we sometime complain about are really trivial.

It’s good to be born free.
grin
Posted by: Leigh_Ratcliffe

Re: Let's talk about Canada ! - 01/13/08 07:36 PM

They have a Queen.
Which is good.
Unfortunately they have those dashed Frenchers as well. grin
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Let's talk about Canada ! - 01/13/08 07:59 PM

I am from Canada and Tarus is correct, we Canucks have it good compared to many other countries.

I have visited and or lived in different areas of Canada from coast to coast, from the northern tundra and permafrost to the 49th parallel and would not live anywhere else but here in British Columbia.

Depending on where you live here, sure it gets cold and the gas is expensive but this is the price of freedom and for the millions of unspoiled acres of land that have never seen the footprint nor felt the presence of humans.
Posted by: SwampDonkey

Re: Let's talk about Canada ! - 01/13/08 08:48 PM

I am Canadian also and very proud of it, I feel truly blessed to have grown-up and live in the country I do.

I have traveled extensively in my home province of Ontario but have never been west of Winnipeg, I really need to make the trip to BC before my kids leave home.

If I can help anyone who is traveling to Ontario with information please feel free to ask.

Mike

Posted by: sodak

Re: Let's talk about Canada ! - 01/13/08 09:05 PM

Originally Posted By: SwampDonkey
I am Canadian also and very proud of it, I feel truly blessed to have grown-up and live in the country I do.

I have traveled extensively in my home province of Ontario but have never been west of Winnipeg, I really need to make the trip to BC before my kids leave home.

If I can help anyone who is traveling to Ontario with information please feel free to ask.

Mike

Good for you! It's nice to see people proud of their country. We have driven into Ontario and spent a week touring around, and really liked it. One of my dreams is that when I retire, we can spend a couple of months driving around Canada, and would love to ride the trains also.

The country is beautiful, and the people are very friendly. I'm glad to have them as neighbors!

Re: Let's talk about Canada ! - 01/13/08 10:03 PM

Alberta has no rats.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Let's talk about Canada ! - 01/13/08 10:07 PM

Parts (soon probably all) of Yosemite National Park are being eaten alive by bark beetles...
Posted by: BruceZed

Re: Let's talk about Canada ! - 01/14/08 01:28 AM

It just as varied as the US. Most of our real wonders are hidden in the North and West of the country. It is a country that you want to step off the trail and wander seep into the wilderness. It is also very vast.
Posted by: Mike_in_NKY

Re: Let's talk about Canada ! - 01/14/08 12:56 PM

I have to agree 100% with Taurus. I think everyone should be made to live somewhere else for at least two years in another part of the world, to give them the opportunity to see how good they have it (at least those that live in the Western Hemisphere). There are lots of great things about every country and until you live the life in another country it is difficult to appreciate what you have and take for granted.

Living away from Canada really makes me appreciate what is there and I really miss it. Although, they are starting to get Tim Horton's down here. Just add Canadian Tire and Swiss Chalet and I'll never have to go home again!!!
Posted by: Blitz

Re: Let's talk about Canada ! - 01/14/08 06:37 PM

Originally Posted By: samhain
I just need to learn to speak Canadian first grin

grin grin grin
Posted by: BrianTexas

Re: Let's talk about Canada ! - 01/14/08 08:36 PM

Originally Posted By: SwampDonkey

Mike

Lovely country, great people. Always enjoyed any trips to Canada (mostly in Lower Ontario). My wife and I honeymooned in Toronto 20 years ago and still have many, many fond memories.

Posted by: Blitz

Re: Let's talk about Canada ! - 01/14/08 09:48 PM

Back a long, long time ago my buddie and I met 3 canadian girls at the beach, twins and their friend, we ended up spending the day and most of the night with them (at a nightclub, I wouldn't want anybody to get the wrong idea here.) blush They were really friendly, I've loved canadians ever since.
Posted by: Misanthrope

Re: Let's talk about Canada ! - 01/15/08 08:05 PM

I love Canada...

I have been making a yearly pilgrimage to the Land of the Great Walleye (Northwest Ontario) for the last 27 years. Beautiful country. Moose, eagle, beer, beaver, mink, eyes, snakes... And no friggin people.

Now for the misanthropic part... I believe that as part of the great Québécois conspiracy, all Canadian federal government personnel must be bilingual, ie french and English speaking. This has led to the federal government being dominated by the Québécois. [Due to the rules of this particular forum, the following portion has been voluntarily redacted to avoid offending the delicate sensibilities of any French, Francophiles, Québécois, or other whiny sensitive types.]
Posted by: LumpyJaw

Re: Let's talk about Canada ! - 01/15/08 08:21 PM

Homer Simpson once referred to Canada as "America Jr."

Re: Let's talk about Canada ! - 01/16/08 12:58 AM

Originally Posted By: LumpyJaw
Homer Simpson once referred to Canada as "America Jr."

Homer is not known as the smartest make believe character on the tube...