MRE longevity

Posted by: norad45

MRE longevity - 05/21/07 02:20 PM

There have been several posts recently regarding the best type of foods to store in a vehicle during the summer. I've got in the habit of storing an MRE in the compartment under the seat of my ATV, which I keep under a canopy in the backyard. Over the weekend I pulled out the one I stashed last July 1st and did a taste test.

It was the Meat Loaf with Gravy meal and it was packed in April, 2005. Since July and onward through the winter it had been exposed to daily temps ranging from 110 F. down to about 0 F. More significantly, it has probably undergone at least a dozen freeze/thaw cycles. And during two two-week stretches in August and October it withstood some violently bumpy traveling.

I found it not only still edible but surprisingly tasty. I have had the same entree in the past and could really tell no difference in the flavor between this one and one that had been stored in my basement at 70 F. year around. The mashed potatoes--never an MRE strong suit--were pretty watery. I suspect that was a result of the repeated freeze/thaw cycles. Once they were heated and thoroughly stirred up they turned out pretty well, especially when mixed in with some gravy.

The cookie, the crackers, the jelly, and the candy (Tootsie Rolls) were, as expected, unaffected by the heat or cold. I ate it all leaving only the Cocoa which I don't particularly care for. I'd bet it was ok too. I even chewed the Chiclets gum, and amazingly enough I did not go into a murderous, caffeine-induced psychosis (like somebody hinted might happen. grin)

All in all I think if somebody is looking for a food to store in a vehicle and wants a little extra measure of safety beyond that of canned food, then MRE's might be the way to go. The fact that the packaging is designed to withstand a pretty stiff impact doesn't hurt either.
Posted by: CANOEDOGS

Re: MRE longevity - 05/21/07 03:26 PM

Mice..i left my car at a remote canoe landing for 2 weeks
and while i was away mice had found a way into the car and
nibbled thru a MRE i left under the seat in case i arrived
back hungry..they not only ate thru the heavy outter pack
but found and made it into the cracker and fruit cake--cherry
nut--no loss there...but that they could find a way in and
smell thru several layers of plastic was a surprize..if you
live in "mouse country" i would suggest keeping stored rations
in very well sealed containers..
Posted by: wolf

Re: MRE longevity - 05/21/07 04:11 PM

Mice are amazing. I had a horrible mouse problem until my furry pal BusStop the Dog came to live here and ate them all.

I would be hesitant to suggest MRE's for long-term vehicle storage. While you haven't had problems with them spoiling - they have a considerably lessened life-time when stored in hot conditions. I'd hate to need them and find that they have spoiled. A safer bet would be lifeboat rations like Datrex or Mainstay. They are more stable with regard to heat / cold and they take up no more space per calorie than MRE's.

Re: MRE longevity - 05/21/07 04:24 PM

Quote:
A safer bet would be lifeboat rations like Datrex or Mainstay. They are more stable with regard to heat / cold and they take up no more space per calorie than MRE's.

If you are talking long term then I agree 100%. But for periods up to one year in the temperature ranges mentioned then I give the nod to MRE's--especially if you like a little variety in the diet as I do.

I forgot about mice though. Not a big problem where I live but I'm going to invest in some sort of metal cabinet or footlocker for my non-canned goods just in case. Or maybe a cat.....
Posted by: JIM

Re: MRE longevity - 05/21/07 04:55 PM

A question:

Why is it conciderd bad luck to eat the candy in a MRE??

Re: MRE longevity - 05/21/07 05:18 PM

PM sent.
Posted by: Meline

Re: MRE longevity - 05/21/07 05:18 PM

Its only bad luck to eat the "Charms". The M&Ms, Skitles, and Tooties Rolls are good to go.
Posted by: Misanthrope

Re: MRE longevity - 05/21/07 07:09 PM

"I found it not only still edible but surprisingly tasty."

You sure you're talking about an MRE?

M
Posted by: DesertFox

Re: MRE longevity - 05/22/07 02:23 AM

Take it from where it comes from, but here is some data. http://www.mreinfo.com/mre-longevity.html

Re: MRE longevity - 05/22/07 01:07 PM

Quote:
You sure you're talking about an MRE?

Odd I know, but I like 'em. Of course, I also like Dinty Moore, Spam and eggs, and canned chili. I only get to eat that stuff a couple of times a year in hunting camp though. If I had to live on it for a month or more I'd probably change my mind.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: MRE longevity - 05/22/07 01:19 PM

I've said it before, and I will say it again. And probably again, and again, and...anyone who doesn't like MRE's never had to eat C-rats...
Posted by: thseng

Re: MRE longevity - 05/22/07 01:38 PM

"The three basic types of food are: plants, animals and issued rations."

Re: MRE longevity - 05/22/07 04:21 PM

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
I've said it before, and I will say it again. And probably again, and again, and...anyone who doesn't like MRE's never had to eat C-rats...

OBG,

Watch it man, you're really starting to date yourself. I'm barely old enough to remember c-rats, k-rats and lurps. My uncle used to try to feed us that on camping trips in the 70's. Almost turned me off to the outdoors.

M

Re: MRE longevity - 05/22/07 11:28 PM

"...you're really starting to date yourself..."

What part of OLD BaldGuy didn't you understand??? smile smile smile

I have been carrying the same P-38 for 40+ years, and still use if from time to time...

Re: MRE longevity - 05/23/07 08:39 PM

Oh, I understood Old. But there's old, and then there's OLD..... cool

M

Re: MRE longevity - 05/23/07 10:51 PM

Today I feel really OLD...
Posted by: yeti

Re: MRE longevity - 05/27/07 12:09 AM

Nah...it wasn't THAT long ago that we were still being issues C-rats. And I gotta confess...I wouldn't wish the beans and franks on ANYONE...but overall, they weren't as bad as all that, packed OK, and it was fun to see the C-rats recipes folks came up with. Pound cake with icing made from the hot chocolate pack! etc...

Never had lrps or MREs though. And my diet has changed considerably.
Posted by: MDinana

Re: MRE longevity - 05/27/07 12:40 AM

Not to bring up bad memories, but (as I mentioned a few months ago) about a year ago I was cleaning out my parents' garage and found the box of emergency food, aka MRE's. Most dated from late 80's early 90's, I'm guessing (since my dad retired about '95). Edible, for the most part.

Anyway, in the box I also found 2(!) C-rat's... NO, I didn't trust my stomach to be able to handle those. Dad's still got them somewhere.