Electrolyte replacement

Posted by: bsmith

Electrolyte replacement - 05/08/07 10:59 PM

does anyone have a favorite electrolyte replacement they add to their hydration bag(s) for day-long, constant replacement of lost fluids and electrolytes?

got a nasty inner mid-thigh cramp @ lunch with 6 hrs of hiking left. partner gave me magnesium capsule that took the cramp away almost immediately. that - and standing on one leg very still.

ran out of water - 5.5 litres - for the first time - w/almost 2 hours of hiking left.

the high temp surprised even the weather service.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Posted by: Arney

Re: Electrolyte replacement - 05/08/07 11:37 PM

I had heard of Gookinaid (Hydralyte) for a number of years but an ETS member's suggestion in a post finally got me to try it about a year (or two?) ago. Since then, I've become a huge fan of it. You rarely see it in retail stores, so ordering online is probably your best best. Well, my local REI has it, but just one of the flavors. All the flavors are quite mild tasting, not salty, and I honestly believe that it hydrates better than any other electrolyte drink I have tried (or as well as anything more expensive). I have a pitcher of it in my fridge right now.

You might want to search the forum for terms like "electrolyte," "hydration," "ORS" and "hyponatremia," too. We've had some interesting discussions on the topic of hydration before. I think you'll pick up some useful additional info if you dig into the topic a bit more.

Too many of the so-called "sports drinks" you see in the store are just beverages. Drink them for the taste, but don't drink them because you think they make a good electrolyte drink. They usually have too much sodium and sugar for optimum absorption and not enough of the right kinds of electrolytes to do much good.
Posted by: Themalemutekid

Re: Electrolyte replacement - 05/08/07 11:37 PM

You might wanna give this stuff a try.I just picked up some of this stuff at the 99 cents store.I'm planing on using it during day hikes.I've used the regular premixed version before while at the gym, & it did the job of keeping me hydrated quite well. I'm still not sure if I'm gonna premix it or if I'm gonna carry a few scoopfuls in my pack.
Posted by: MDinana

Re: Electrolyte replacement - 05/08/07 11:41 PM

Powerade or Gatorade did well for me during my scouting years. Not a fan of the taste, but oh well.

Also, plain water with adequate foods should do the same thing. Powerbars, gorp, whatever your munchies of choice are. The key is you replace what your body loses.

Re: Electrolyte replacement - 05/08/07 11:50 PM

arney,

thank you for that. i did a search and i wanted a more recent update than what i found. the hydralyte looks like what i'm looking for - and i appreciate your taste-test response.

bsmith

Re: Electrolyte replacement - 05/09/07 12:08 AM

i'll look at the 99c store - i love 'em.

how's the taste? i'm far from fussy, but it is a consideration and there's no better way to find out than to ask someone who's tried it.

thanks for your response.
Posted by: Themalemutekid

Re: Electrolyte replacement - 05/09/07 12:16 AM

Yeah 99 cent stores are the best.I always find some good deals there. About the taste of the powerade, the taste it like what you would expect... i don't mind it. It really does hit the spot when you're hot and thirsty. It's best when it's well chilled.
Posted by: MOAlan

Re: Electrolyte replacement - 05/09/07 12:42 AM

I've been in construction for 20 years and have dealt with 8 hours of strenuous exercise too much. If where you are hiking has high humidity like we deal with in the Midwest, there are certain tricks I have learned.

If you wait till you are feeling the effects of dehydration, Gatorade or any of the other brands will only help a little. If you start drinking elecrolytes first thing in the morning, you won't hit that wall in the afternoon.

For years we would drink water all morning and then after lunch when we started feeling lethargic, we would start drinking Gatorade. I finally started thinking about it and realized what the problem was and now I can make it all day without hitting that wall until after I hit my easy chair at night.

Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Electrolyte replacement - 05/09/07 02:04 AM

For those of us el cheapos, I have been told by a licensed physical theropist that if you squeeze half a lime in about a guart of water you will get all of the benefits of gatorade without the sugar, etc...
Posted by: Rio

Re: Electrolyte replacement - 05/09/07 02:53 AM

When I hike with a Gatorade, I like to carry 2 water bottles, one with Gatorade and one with regular water. The Gatorade works great for drinking, but I also like having water in case I need to clean a wound or something. You can also carry extra Gatorade powder and turn your water into Gatorade on the trail if you need it.
Posted by: Be_Prepared

Re: Electrolyte replacement - 05/09/07 03:16 AM

The beverage base packages that you find in MRE's are flavored electrolyte mixes. You can get them in several flavors, and they come in individual packets. I use them on the water that I've run through my Katadyn filter sometimes. Filters and MP1's make the water "safe" to drink, but, the beverage base packs make it actually a lot more acceptable from a taste perspective. I have tried the fruit punch, grape, and lemon lime flavors. I think they also make orange. You can get them at places like:
http://www7.mailordercentral.com/longlifefood/products.asp?dept=1031
Posted by: aardvark

Re: Electrolyte replacement - 05/09/07 04:40 AM

When i was young and cheap, i made my own out of kool aid mix, sugar, regular salt and dieter's salt. It was not too sweet, kind of like gatorade and the two kinds of salt were supposed to replace needed electrolytes. I can't seem to find the recipe, try looking it up on the web.
Posted by: CANOEDOGS

Re: Electrolyte replacement - 05/09/07 04:57 AM

Gatorade..i take the powder on canoe trips and mix it thick
or thin depending on the weather..cool days i put a tea
bag and sugar in my water bottle and drink and re-fill
untill the bag is tasteless..Tang is not bad..maybe it's
the vitamin C or all the sugar but it perks me up..

Posted by: Glock-A-Roo

Re: Electrolyte replacement - 05/09/07 02:15 PM

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
For those of us el cheapos, I have been told by a licensed physical theropist that if you squeeze half a lime in about a guart of water you will get all of the benefits of gatorade without the sugar, etc...

That therapist needs some more education. The lime juice only offers flavor via ascorbic acid. It supplies just about zero sodium or potassium... you know, the electrolytes that this thread is about. It doesn't always pay to be cheap.

+1 on Gookinaid/HydraLyte. It's the number one choice of people who make their living operating in the Grand Canyon. In a pinch, diluted Gatorade isn't too bad either but the HydraLyte is a better electrolyte formulation.
Posted by: norad45

Re: Electrolyte replacement - 05/09/07 02:34 PM

Quote:
The beverage base packages that you find in MRE's are flavored electrolyte mixes.

That's a good idea. I must have about 3 dozen of those laying around that I'm going to round up and stash. I have always been a plain water man but it wouldn't hurt to pack a few of those in a vehicle in case of an unplanned hike in the desert.
Posted by: big_al

Re: Electrolyte replacement - 05/09/07 06:09 PM

After years working for the Forest Service running forest fire suppression crew all we would use is several grains of salt in our canteens.(if you tast the salt you have used too much) After 5 canteens of water we would drink 1 Gatoraid ( the only thing around at the time) Some time the shifts were 18 Hours in over 100 deg. heat. cool

Never lost a man to heat stroke. smile

A lot of conditioning in high heat also helped. grin

Re: Electrolyte replacement - 05/09/07 06:48 PM

Originally Posted By: big_al
A lot of conditioning in high heat also helped.

Ahhh, that's key, too. People who are acclimated to hot weather tend to have less "salty" sweat and therefore need less electrolyte replacement. Well, and you may sweat less for a given amount of work because you're used to it. Working 18 hour shifts, day after day, even a small difference in sweat composition can make a difference over time since even small changes in electrolyte balance can really degrade your performance. Well, the water loss is a much bigger worry than electrolytes.

Actually, that reminds me, we should keep in mind two important yet separate issues when we talk about "What should I drink?" There's the issue of water loss and how to keep hydrated as efficiently as possible. The other issue is electrolyte loss, which really isn't going to kick in for most people until at least several hours of strenuous activity in high temps. In your case, where you are exerting yourself for long periods of time on the fire line, then electrolyte replacemenets becomes a true medical issue to keep in mind.

For many/most of us, electrolyte replacement is rarely needed. We don't sweat enough, for long enough, and then we replenish our electrolytes at the next meal. That said, you can add things to plain water, such as salt and sugar, which will allow your body to absorb the water faster than just plain water. So, the issue can get confusing when asking about the best "electrolyte" drink.

Posted by: benjammin

Re: Electrolyte replacement - 05/09/07 07:00 PM

Once in boot camp I folded up on a long run and was given a jug of Ringer's lactate to rehydrate with. Seemed to work pretty good.

An ER doctor friend of mine also said pedialyte is a pretty good rehydrating liquid. Hey, if it works for the kids, it should work for the rest of us.

Re: Electrolyte replacement - 05/10/07 12:14 AM

i appreciate all of you who have contributed to the discussion and i say many thanks to you...

the issue arose during a 22 mile r.t. hike that gained 4,100' in 11 miles w/the last 1,000' summiting in the last mile scrambling over rocks and brush. temps rose into the mid to upper 80s, zero shade, and 'fire danger' humidity. that's typical where i day hike - in the los padres forest in southern california.

not only volume depleted - and as arney pointed out - electrolyte depleted as well - which exhibited on the summit as a 3+ muscle cramp in my inner thigh - felt like it was gripped by a lion..

as suggested, and after further research, purchased gookinaid (hydralyte in the us and aquaforce down under) as it seems to have the right stuff. has subtle flavor. will post further after field testing.

thanks again,
bsmith
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Electrolyte replacement - 05/10/07 02:58 AM

Dieter's salt?

Lo calorie salt? Or low sodium?

Re: Electrolyte replacement - 05/10/07 03:07 AM

little late posting this....

I swear by Emer'Gen'C. I put a packet into each nalgene after giving the purification tabs to do their thing. Electrolytes, vitamin C (I think the C stands for crack, a dose of it always improves my mood), A, B-complex, and just enough sugar for your body to actually be able to use it.

The only use I have for gatoraid anymore is for "wake-wake juice"- pout a packet of Emer'gen'c into a nalgene bottle, then a 12oz can of Mt Dew, and a 20oz bottle of organe gatorade. You are painfully awake in about 20 minutes, but if you use it to wash down a couple asprin, the hangover starts to go away.
Posted by: aardvark

Re: Electrolyte replacement - 05/10/07 08:26 AM

Originally Posted By: ironraven
Dieter's salt?

Lo calorie salt? Or low sodium?

Sorry, it's that No-Salt or Salt Substitute, potassium chloride. Here is a recipe similar to what i used to do, though i cut the sugar a lot. I think the only reason for the sugar is extra calories and something about assisting absorption that i can't remember....

http://www.recipezaar.com/93652
Posted by: paramedicpete

Re: Electrolyte replacement - 05/10/07 03:27 PM

For what it worth, I am big fan of Sqwincher.

Sqwincher

Our rescue team carries the SQWINCHER FAST PACK® in all of our packs to mix with water.

SQWINCHER FAST PACK®

Pete

Re: Electrolyte replacement - 05/10/07 03:53 PM

Originally Posted By: paramedicpete
For what it worth, I am big fan of Sqwincher.

Interesting. Never heard of Sqwincher before. Briefly skimmed their website just now and it looks like they market themselves specifically at workers, not athletes or the general public. Interesting strategy.

How's the taste, Pete? Salty? Sweet?

Re: Electrolyte replacement - 05/10/07 07:05 PM

Just a word on potassium chloride. If you're on a low salt diet for whatever reason, KCl can cause some kindey problems down the road if you overdo it to the extent that you (probably) used regular sodium chloride.

Anyway, just ask a doctor about any problems you may have with it, so you don't end up hyperkalemic or something else.
Posted by: paramedicpete

Re: Electrolyte replacement - 05/10/07 09:08 PM

I have had the fruit punch, lemon-lime and grape, all have a sweet taste.

Pete
Posted by: Raspy

Re: Electrolyte replacement - 05/25/07 06:30 AM

Rehydration formulas

ELECTROLYTE AND FLUID REPLACEMENT

- Dr. Orient's Recipe

Here is a good little life saver that you might be interested in.

One teaspoon of "Lite Salt"(by Morton, 1/2 iodized potassium
chloride, 1/2 sodium chloride in a blue cylinder), 1/3 teaspoon
of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate), 10 teaspoons of table sugar
(sucrose), and one quart of water.

That happens to be a life saving fluid replacement and partial
electrolyte expedient replacement. At least it is expedient if
you have had the foresight to purchase the above three items
BEFORE an emergency happens while it is readily available and
very cheap.

Many people die in times of emergency because of fluid losses.
This can be from burns, vomiting, or diarrhea. The body needs
water and certain water soluable chemicals to function.

If either or both of these drop below a certain level, you die.
There are many non-fatal diseases like cholera that become fatal
due to lack of simple things like proper fluid replacement.

If you have ever had a bad case of diarrhea and start to have
pain in your muscles or joints, congratulations, you have had the
early warning symptoms of a potassium
deficiency.

For ease of purchasing the items for Dr. Orient's formula, Morton
Lite Salt comes in a 11 oz. light blue cylinder. Baking soda a 1
or 4 pound box. Sugar 5, 10, or 25 pound sack.

To make approximately 300 quarts of the solution you need 5 - 11
oz. units of Morton's Lite salt, 1 - 1 pound box of baking soda,
and 25 pounds of sugar.

And some more modern ones
http://www.mettag.com/pdf/tacda/medical_hydration_pencilings.pdf
http://www.ifyoudive.com/Health/DanTips/?Target=_top
Posted by: BrianTexas

Re: Electrolyte replacement - 05/25/07 03:36 PM

little late posting this....

The only use I have for gatoraid anymore is for "wake-wake juice"- pout a packet of Emer'gen'c into a nalgene bottle, then a 12oz can of Mt Dew, and a 20oz bottle of orange gatorade. You are painfully awake in about 20 minutes, but if you use it to wash down a couple asprin, the hangover starts to go away.

Good heavens! If I drank that I'd have to double my intake of Toprol (blood pressure/angina med) to get my heart rate back to normal. shocked It does remind me of my college days when I kept a stash of snickers bars and Jolt Cola for the late nite study sessions.
Posted by: smitty

Re: Electrolyte replacement - 05/25/07 04:44 PM

If you're going to use a hydration bag you might look at the CamelBak Elixir tablets. They don't contain any sugars that can make your hydration bag a sticky mess. You can get the needed sugars from a power bar or Snickers candy bar.

CamelBak Elixir Review

smitty

Re: Electrolyte replacement - 05/26/07 03:27 AM

LOL! Where do you think I learned this?

Scary is someone taking Ballz (it's blue, with way more caffiene and guanaria (sp) than is sane) and mixing it with some more sugar, Gookinaid and protein powders!! Little guy, maybe 5'6", skinny as a rail, and he'd be hyper all day. I swear you could take his pulse by watching him.

Re: Electrolyte replacement - 05/26/07 03:30 AM

Oh, those look cool. They look like that "Airborn" stuff that is supposed to be for not catching cold, but with electrolytes. If I see it around here it might have to get tested. smile
Posted by: red

Re: Electrolyte replacement - 05/26/07 08:34 PM

+1 on the pedialyte (get the generic, CHEAP!), but I can't get any kids to down that stuff unless they're really young (infants seem not to mind)

I prefer not to drink electrolyte-rich fluids exclusively...yuck! But there are times when on a huge hike I can tell I'm "sweat out" and need some salt...I just grab some trail mix and throw down a couple bites. Presto! Salts are back.

Posted by: cedfire

Re: Electrolyte replacement - 05/30/07 08:47 PM

Gatorade is my favorite over Powerade and Tang.

It's really easy to get dehydrated and more than once I've caught myself with a big headache and/or feeling like a slug due to my carelessness.

There is some Gookinaid sitting in the cupboard but I have yet to use it. Maybe this afternoon I will give it a shot and see how it goes. I've also seen people mention mixing apple juice & water, eating Fig Newtons, and drinking tomato juice.

Already 99 degrees F in the shade and the day isn't over yet! shocked

Re: Electrolyte replacement - 05/30/07 10:56 PM

I suppose you can try this:
http://www.wildmedcenter.com/store.html#supplies

Look for the WHO Oral Rehydration Solution. If this is what I think, it's what the WHO uses for treating diarrhea (#1 cause of pediatric death in the world!). Don't know how it'll do to maintain you though!
Posted by: jmarkantes

hangover remedy - 05/31/07 01:58 AM

The only use I have for gatoraid anymore is for "wake-wake juice"- pout a packet of Emer'gen'c into a nalgene bottle, then a 12oz can of Mt Dew, and a 20oz bottle of organe gatorade. You are painfully awake in about 20 minutes, but if you use it to wash down a couple asprin, the hangover starts to go away.

That sounds AWESOME. I'll have to remember that. As for just the Emer'gen'C, I usually carry a packet or two in my Bar Survival Kit when I know I'm going out for a night on the town. It was extremely handy to avoid the 2pm hangover on St Patty's day (it's a long day in these parts).

J
Posted by: Chuck

Re: hangover remedy - 06/01/07 11:35 AM

I keep water in my hydration pack and mix electrolyte replacement as needed. After looking all over the net for the best prices I settled on the MRE type packages sold by beprepared.com. At $0.40 each they are a deal. I find that they are about the same as gatoraid and come in several flavors.
Posted by: monkey

Re: hangover remedy - 06/01/07 08:51 PM

Originally Posted By: jmarkantes

That sounds AWESOME. I'll have to remember that. As for just the Emer'gen'C, I usually carry a packet or two in my Bar Survival Kit when I know I'm going out for a night on the town. It was extremely handy to avoid the 2pm hangover on St Patty's day (it's a long day in these parts).

J

Ironraven, I thank you, my boss thanks you, and my clients thank you.

I had the opportunity to give "wake-wake juice" a test run this morning. I pounded the nalgene. I know this isn’t exactly conducive to optimal hydration but I didn’t have time to fool around. The zookeepers were getting restless. The first 15 minutes is all waiting, then about halfway through the second 15 you start wondering if you’ve been fooled, because nothing is happening. And then… ZANG! Fiendish intensity, strange glow and vibrations...a very heavy gig dodging traffic on a fixed gear bike.

I’ll perform another test in a… less controlled environment as soon as possible. Sorry for the editorial liberties mr.duke.

I am the monkey, and I approved this message.

m

Re: hangover remedy - 06/02/07 02:37 AM

Just remember to drink plenty of water after this. I hope I mentioned this- caffeine like alcohol couples to the electrolytes, so the only faster way to get it into you is by injection, so if you have any kind of heart condition this might not be wise.

So how was coming down from this stuff? I always crashed after exams. laugh

Re: hangover remedy - 06/05/07 10:31 PM

after your suggestions and more research i purchased gookinaid - hydralyte.

it has the electrolytes i feel i need and it is manufactured to be absorbed through the stomach walls into the blood vessels rapidly - something other products don't even mention.

the taste is pleasant - orange this time. and has no aftertaste.

yesterday was the first field test. 7 miles rt with 2000' up and 2000' coming down... 85 - 90F. no clouds, sporadic breeze. i carried two 100 oz hydration bladders - one with straight water and one with gookinaid. i used most of the h20 and approx 2/3 of the gookinaid. no cramps, lots of sweating, no severe thirst. didn't have to follow with water to remove any overly-sweet taste.

all in all i'd say it performed as advertised and i will continue to use it during the hot summer months.

Re: hangover remedy - 06/06/07 12:16 AM

Originally Posted By: bsmith
after your suggestions and more research i purchased gookinaid - hydralyte.

Thanks for the follow-up report. I'm glad that Gookinaid seems to work for you.

You didn't mention getting any other flavor, but for what it's worth, I would consider orange to be the "strongest" flavor. And I say strongest in the relative sense, since compared to other brands, all of the Gookinaid flavors are quite mild.