Which Watch ?

Posted by: Anonymous

Which Watch ? - 05/01/07 03:23 AM

I'm currently looking for a new watch but I cannot make my mind up. I like the Luminox 3600 or the Tissot T-touch Titanium. Any other recommendations.

Posted by: aloha

Re: Which Watch ? - 05/01/07 03:28 AM

I'm partial to the Breitling watches. I have this one and love it.

Re: Which Watch ? - 05/01/07 03:43 AM

Is that a Breitling Aeromarine Colt Quartz Steel. Its a bit over my budget I'm affraid at about $1600. No doubt an excellent watch and water resistant to 500 Metres I believe.

What I'm really asking is if the watch such as the Tissot, which have all the gadgets built in, such as a compass, barometer (some even have an in built GPS) etc are worth having over a solid reliable timepiece such as the Breitling you have mentioned especially in a survival situation.
Posted by: alvacado

Re: Which Watch ? - 05/01/07 04:06 AM

You may want to check out the Dakota Weathermaster V for $110 bucks At US Calvery. IT is Swiss made and has a three year warranty. It is a multi-sensor time piece that has a Compass, Altimeter, Barometer, Thermometer, and four picture weather forcaster. Mine has performed well and reduces the equipment I used to carry on foot and in my motorhome.
Posted by: aloha

Re: Which Watch ? - 05/01/07 04:53 AM

It's a SuperOcean Steelfish Plus. And unfortunately, more than $1,600. Its depth rating is 6000 feet, which is about 5920 feet more than I have ever gone.
Posted by: desertrat1

Re: Which Watch ? - 05/01/07 05:01 AM

I just bought my second Seiko Automatic Divers watch. My first one lasted through 10 yeard of hard use. I prefer non electric watches just because I don't want the batteries to die at the most inappropriate time. For $350 it's great time piece.
Posted by: haertig

Re: Which Watch ? - 05/01/07 05:27 PM

I wrote a reveiw a while back on a tritium watch I have that I really like.

http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.ph...=true#Post81601

I am still very very much impressed with this watch!
Posted by: Frankie

Re: Which Watch ? - 05/01/07 06:02 PM

Speaking of mechanical watches, I still have the Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical on my wish list because it's kind of low in my priorities but the idea of owning a hand wind souvenir de guerre watch is attractive. It's more expensive in Canada but in the US it's considerably less expensive, I think somewhere around $200 and it's got a sapphire crystal, an ETA (2804-2) mouvement, and is water resistant to 5 ATM (50 m) probably suitable for swimming.

Frankie
Posted by: Equipped4Chicago

Re: Which Watch ? - 05/01/07 09:28 PM

Nice watches. I'm looking for a BLACK one. Any recommendations? Howver, I don't have $1,600. Maybe $150 at the most.

I used to look at the G-SHOCK ones. Don't know if they are still available at stores

Re: Which Watch ? - 05/01/07 10:03 PM

Hi Equipped4Chicago

Why not have a look at this one for around $150, its not a black watch but is definitely a whole lot of watch for the money.

http://www.watchsavings.com/store/Item_3993_181_____Citizen-BM8280-50L.htm

I have a similar one but with a resin strap, the watch is lightweight being Titanium and is solar powered (eco-drive) and seems to keep the time pretty well - it has lost only a few seconds from GPS UTC time over the last few months. I also think its quite a handsome looking watch also.
Posted by: JimB

Re: Which Watch ? - 05/02/07 02:03 AM

I've been wearing the Titanium Luminox 3600 for the last 4 or 5 years. It is super lightweight, keeps great time and I just replaced the battery recently for the first time. My buddy on the sherrif's dive team swears by his. His is a little more "battleworn" than mine. Jim
Posted by: J_Michael

Re: Which Watch ? - 05/03/07 05:03 AM

Here is another suggestion for a no frills field watch, mine has been outstanding.
http://www.st-moritz.com/pages/pathfinder.php
They have a bunch of options starting somewhere around $150.

Posted by: kd7fqd

Re: Which Watch ? - 05/03/07 06:59 AM

Hey Ben
I have a Casio G-Shock that I've had for eight years I just replaced the battery last month and it is still going strong
mine is the 300 "Solar" atomic watch keeps great time it updates every night at 0300 and 0400 for precision

Mike
Posted by: falcon5000

Re: Which Watch ? - 05/03/07 02:37 PM

I'm an Invicta fan for being a reasonable priced underwater watch with very well craftsmanship,No batteries,200 meters,built solid and it looks good too. Anyway here are some more discount links:

WatchZworld
Abouttime princetonwatches
worldofwatches
wristwatch.com
goldspeed

$147.00
http://www.goldspeed.com/products/defaul...IVER.WV9011.cpd
Posted by: Be_Prepared

Re: Which Watch ? - 05/03/07 05:50 PM

Originally Posted By: JimB
I've been wearing the Titanium Luminox 3600 for the last 4 or 5 years. It is super lightweight, keeps great time and I just replaced the battery recently for the first time. My buddy on the sherrif's dive team swears by his. His is a little more "battleworn" than mine. Jim

I also wear a Luminox, it's a model 3401, stainless steel case, rubber dive band.

This one feels more solid than the more popular "Navy Seal" version with the composite case, at least for me. It's easy to view day or night. It's got the tritium lighting, which I didn't realize I would like as much as I do. Nothing like rolling over in your sleeping bag and just being able to glance at the watch without trying to remember which button lights it. It's also really handy if you're carrying something in your hands and don't really want to set it down. I do wish they left off the "F-117" stuff, not really necessary, but, probably some marketing guy said it would sell better.

Funny, but, until I had a watch with this feature, I didn't know what I was missing. Now, when I wear my "dress" watch, I notice the lack of the feature at night if I glance at my wrist. I do wish they made one with the tritium lighting and an alarm feature. Maybe someone else doing this style watch has an alarm? When hiking, and camping out, I really need that alarm if I'm trying to get up early to break camp and get some miles under the boots early.

Re: Which Watch ? - 05/08/07 04:59 PM

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions on which watch. I have just received my new watch, a Luminox 3602, ordered from the US. I was amazed how quickly it arrived. Great service from the online supplier in the US. It only took about 5 days to arrive here in Scotland.

The watch looks superb and I was able to make some considerable savings importing from the US. Saved about $220 - $300. The Luminox looks very well engineering and seems to be designed to be very robust. It is amazingly lightweight and it has that cool gray titanium look which matches my Unidive Titanium Folding Knife.

Posted by: Rick

Re: Which Watch ? - 05/10/07 06:29 AM

Doxa just came out with thier 1000 meter automatic. For the money this is a great watch.
http://www.doxawatches.com/sub1000t_professional.htm

Re: Which Watch ? - 05/10/07 06:39 AM

I'm also selling an extra T-Sar I got for Christmas it's just been in my draw. It cost $ 425. but I'll sell it for $350. I it was on my are for a week; about I got automatic model. This is a picture of it. Drop me an email if your interested.
http://www.countycomm.com/tritiumsar.htm

Re: Which Watch ? - 05/10/07 06:43 AM

I did a really bad job of editing that last post.
it should say " it was on my arm for a week before I got an automatic model"
Again sorry it's about 3:00 am
Posted by: drahthaar

Re: Which Watch ? - 05/10/07 09:16 PM

I really like luminox watches. The nightime visibility of the hands and markers is as good as anything out there.

That said, I used to have one of those Luminox 3600 titaniums and I broke it (it just stopped running) one day when I was pounding on a bus window trying to get the driver's attention so he would open the door to let me on. So their "shock resistance" leaves something to be desired. I had worn it for several years with no problems up until then.

I still wear a different luminox, but if you are one of those people who need to fret about being at a rendevous point at an exact time after engaging in some sort of violent activity - its probably not the watch for you.
Posted by: Be_Prepared

Re: Which Watch ? - 05/10/07 10:08 PM

Originally Posted By: drahthaar
I really like luminox watches. The nightime visibility of the hands and markers is as good as anything out there.

I agree. After wearing a Luminox for a while now, I find that when I do have another watch on, like a "dress" watch, I glance at my wrist at night and it's like it's not there. Until I had the tritium illumination, I had no idea how nice it was. Now I wouldn't want to go without. I have a Casio with a great backlight illuminator, but, you have to use your other hand to press the button. Then, when you do, it's bright enough that everyone around you sees a flash. That's not always good in some scenarios...
Posted by: oldsoldier

Re: Which Watch ? - 05/11/07 04:14 PM

I use a cheapo timex expedition watch. Simple, analog face, does what I need it to. Cost me all of $20, and, when I trash it, I dont cry over it. A battery for it costs almost as much as the watch, so I am torn about upgrading every time I replace the battery smile.
Posted by: Paul810

Re: Which Watch ? - 05/12/07 02:21 AM

I've got a Titanium Tissot T-touch and I love it. Probably my favorite watch.