mountain survival kit

Posted by: Anonymous

mountain survival kit - 04/21/02 03:47 PM

I'm a rockclimber and now I have a "the north face" 1 gallon hip pack with two botlle holders now I'm looking for survival equipment for in the mountain's can anyone help me?<br><br>please don't look to my English I'm dutch
Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: mountain survival kit - 04/21/02 06:24 PM

Start by reading our survival links section. Colorado Firstrax and Mountain Rescue Association are good places to start. We have a few Dutch forum members. Bagheera is very knowledgable in locating equipment. You can private message him. He is also active @ www.knifeforums.com if you do not receive an immediate reply here.
Posted by: Tjin

Re: mountain survival kit - 04/22/02 12:54 PM

he mede kaaskop ! wat zoek je dan ?
Posted by: AndyO

Re: mountain survival kit - 04/23/02 08:17 PM

I do a fair amount of rock climbing too. In fact, rock climbing and mountain biking (my other primary warm weather hobby) are two disciplines where extra weight is strictly forbidden!<br><br>For rock climbing, I carry a Spyderco Delica, Fox40 Whistle, Space blanket, always wear a hat or helmet, shades, some kind of LED light (photon or Tikka) and a sparklite. Thats about it! <br><br> For multipitch, remote climbs The second will carry a small pack (like a Camelback Hawg) with 2 liters water, potable aqua, two very light tyvek wind breakers, two synthetic vests (Patagonia Puffball), two wool watch caps, cell phone, first aid stuff, approach shoes and maybe a Bivy sack if in late fall or early spring perhaps in Linville Gorge.

Re: mountain survival kit - 04/24/02 02:10 PM

Ik ben spullen aan het zoeken voor een mountain survival kit<br>Er moet in ieder geval het volgende inzitten: 4 meter 12mm klimtouw hiervan kan je een noodklimgordel maken een hms karabinier, een achtje, 2 rotshaken en een prusiktouwtje (5mm touwtje) en voor survival een large PSK<br><br>Wat is standing here above is in Dutch and here it comes in English <br>I'm collecting stuff for a mountain survival kit and in each case it must include this: 12 feet of 12mm rope to make an improvisd climbing harness, 1 karabinier, a belay system, 2 rock hooks to secure myself and a 5mm rope and for survival a large PSK

Re: mountain survival kit - 04/24/02 02:39 PM

I suggest 1 or 2 "cordelettes". A cordelette is 6 meters of 6mm or 7mm perlon cord. Tied in a loop, it is used for belay anchor as it can equalize 3 anchors. It can also be used to make prussiks, improvised harness, and many self rescue uses. Please research the "cordelette". I usually carry two. Andy.
Posted by: Tjin

Re: mountain survival kit - 04/24/02 06:05 PM

ohw.. i thought you ment survival gear to survive on the mountains...
Posted by: paramedicpete

Re: mountain survival kit - 04/24/02 07:05 PM

Instead of the rope for the climbing harness, try tubular webbing. It is lighter in weight and makes a more comfortable harness. Pete
Posted by: paramedicpete

Re: mountain survival kit - 04/24/02 07:10 PM

I agree on carrying cordletts, they can also be used to make load releasing hitches. Pete

Re: mountain survival kit - 04/25/02 04:59 AM

The only thing I would add to this very fine list is a light signal mirror - very handy when you need to attract attention.

Re: mountain survival kit - 04/26/02 12:28 AM

The list literally goes on and on...<br>The cordelette is to mountain craft what Duct tape and bailing wire are to everyday farmlife.<br><br>The cordelette is also useful for:<br><br>Dog training check cord<br>Docking or mooring line<br>Hand line for crossing swift water<br>Lowering line for rifle/ bow in deer stand<br>Hauling line for big game<br>Truck or trailer tie downs<br>strong enough to pull a lightly stuck vehicle, especially when doubled<br>Rescue, swift water heaving line. Despite that nylon sinks, it sure beats the hory yell out of nothing!<br>I suggest everyone go get 2 21ft lengths of 7mm perlon and put them in the bottom of your BOB. They instantly become indespensible. Yes, 21 feet is short, but is a convenient length that is often AROUND when you need it.<br>Oh yeh, when you open up the sheath, the bounty of smaller fibers makes 550 cord look outright anemic!