$50 exercise

Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

$50 exercise - 04/21/02 04:42 AM

Zoltan's post got me thinking ( heres comes trouble) about our gear. Suppose you are about to begin a vacation hike, lost your PSK or essential carry items and wanted to replace them. Theres a country store that caters to the local farming/recreational community and a gas station/convenience store. What could you assemble with $50. This is not a game of making survival whistles out of .22 shells or a water filter with a sock and cigarette filters, nor of being cheap and saying " I can do what you can with less." We've had the leisure,the resources and luxury of acquiring the best. What is out there for folks with limited resources or time?
Posted by: peanut

Re: $50 exercise - 04/21/02 06:32 AM

OHMIGOD, I’VE LOST MY PSK!!! And all I’ve got is $50!!<br><br>First step is relax. I’ll buy a bottle of water ($1.29 +8% tax rounded up = $1.40) (all else will be with tax included) and some candy (Altoids $2.16) and sit and think a bit.<br><br>Ahhh, that’s better. I’ve already got a refillable water container and something to keep my small items in. Plus I feel calm and refreshed. Now my emergency is a challenge. And I still have ($50.00 - 1.29 - 2.16 =) $46.55.<br><br>Now to shop. First I’ll buy a Coughlan’s 5-in-1 Survival tool, and thank my fortune that these store’s prices are the same as Campmor’s ($4.31 =$42.24) http://www.campmor.com/webapp/commerce/command/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=1034&prmenbr=226 Next, a space blanket ($4.31 =37.93) http://www.campmor.com/webapp/commerce/command/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=1051&prmenbr=226 And a swiss army knock-off ($13.99 =23.94) http://www.getsomething4everyone.com/images/8874.jpg along with waterproof matches ($2.15 =21.79) http://www.campmor.com/webapp/commerce/command/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=13536&prmenbr=226 and a mini-Bic lighter ($1.07 = 20.72).<br><br>To finish up my water section, I’ll get some purification tablets ($5.39 = 15.33) http://www.campmor.com/webapp/commerce/command/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=13497&prmenbr=226<br><br>So now I have some signaling ( whistle and very dubious mirror), shelter (space blanket) , fire (bic plus “waterproof” matches in safe with strikers from box and a “sort of” flint on match safe with a “sort of “ steel on knife), water (bottle plus iodine tabs), and a questionable multi-tool.<br><br>But what about first aid? I’ll buy a kit ($5.39 = 9.94) http://shop.store.yahoo.com/outdoor-world/cogfiraidkit1.html<br><br>For repair, I’ll get a sewing kit ($2.70 =7.24) http://www.campmor.com/webapp/commerce/command/ProductDisplay?prmenbr=226&prrfnbr=12189 and a small tube of super glue ($1.40 = $5.84)<br><br>As for the rest, I’ll keep it in cash, which has a signalling value all it’s own.<br><br>I know it’s cheap stuff, and I’d pray I wouldn’t ever have to rely on it, so I’d be extra careful. But it does cover the bases.<br><br>You may fire when ready, Gridleys<br><br>Peanut
Posted by: johnbaker

Re: $50 exercise - 04/21/02 08:33 AM

As I understand the scenario, I assume I have lost all essential equipment (otherwise I'd just replinish from BOB), but I have supplies (food & drink). I further assume I'm in a state that does not charge sales tax (Chris forgot to mention it. HaHaHa!). The $50 limitation is severe. Here goes:<br><br>Kitchen utility knife, $5<br>Scripto disposible lighters, $1<br>Tarp, $10<br>Bottles of water, $3<br>Compass, $10<br>Leaf bags, $3<br>P-38, $1<br>Duct tape, $2<br>50' light rope, $3<br>Aluminum foil, HD, $4<br>Flashlight & batteries, $3<br>Mirror, $2<br>Chlorine bleach, $1<br>Whistle, $2<br><br>And that's all you get for $50, assuming very frugal shopping.<br><br><br>OTH, if my wife came along & pooled her $50, & allowed a few $ on the credit card, then: <br>Add SAK = +$20<br>Add hatchet, +$20<br>Add sharpener, + $5<br>Add petrolium jelly, +$2 <br>Add cotton balls, $2<br>Add pots, +$10<br>Add daypack, +$10<br>Delete P-38, -$1 (SAK has can opener)<br>Add blankets, +$20 (go to nearby thrift / military surplus shop)<br>Add matches, +$1<br>Add magnesium & flint, +$5<br>Add 2nd tarp, +$10<br><br>All that costs only $104 more (for a total of $154) & substantially improves camping / survival capabilities. <br><br>In the longer term kit, include:<br>Pliers, +$5<br>Saw, +$6<br>File, +$5<br>Wire, +$4<br>Fishing kit, assorted, $10<br>First aid kit, assorted, +$10<br>Food utensils & servers , +$20<br><br><br>Now, if only we can put in the next few years' budgets a visit to the used gun shop. Desiderata include:<br>Police superseded .357 Mag. revolver, $250<br>Military surplus 8 mm. Turkish rifle, $50<br>Used .22 rifle, $50<br>Used Rem. 870 Express 12 ga., Remchokes, rifled slug bbl., $250<br>Ammo & cleaning kit, $75<br><br>With all that (@ only $889), I might just take up permanent residence in the great wilderness. ;-)) <br><br>(It's hard to stop when you're on a roll.)<br><br>John<br><br><br>P.S. Go to " Plainsman's Cabin Forums" & search for "$100 Survival kit exercise" for a similar fun scenario.<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>

Re: $50 exercise - 04/21/02 08:50 AM

Peanut,<br><br>I have a feeling they'll go after me first. When you hear the shooting, run for it. My post may distract them long enough for you to get away.<br><br>John

Re: $50 exercise - 04/21/02 09:00 AM

[thumping chest while laser shines in forehead] "Why they ain't invented the electronic bullet that could kill me......."<br><br>Peanut
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: $50 exercise - 04/21/02 11:23 AM

My personal experience leads me to think that the limiting factor in this scenario wouldn’t be our imaginations, so much as what’s available in your typical country general store and convenience store. I’ve had trouble finding Coleman fuel (or a reasonable substitute) in a large town right next to a state park (no stores in the park), and trouble finding something to replace an air mattress in an area with several campgrounds and at least two camp stores (that mostly catered to tin box campers). <br><br>Some things are easy- finding matches and lighters is a given, and in country stores you should find plenty of cordage, even if it’s just very long bootlaces (by city standards) or clothesline. Any general store is going to have a decent knife or two, and you could probably come up with a cheap women’s compact for a mirror- if the makeup can be easily disposed of to make a little storage, so much the better... if not, you might consider breaking the hinge. Without a camping store or surplus store, though, I think you’d be very lucky to find a whistle, or any way to purify water other than boiling, or a compass. In many towns your only hope of finding a compass is as an accessory in a store that carries auto parts. <br><br>I’m old enough to really appreciate “disposable” water bottles. When I started backpacking, we had to seek out either specialty Austrian-made polyethylene water bottles or genuine army-surplus plastic canteens. There were many imitations of the army canteen, some hard to tell from the real thing, and they all leaked from the cap- not a big deal if you’re carrying it upright, but a huge deal if you’re sleeping with it to keep it from freezing at night. Modern disposable water bottles are lighter in weight and seem almost as sturdy. Evian bottles in particular are designed to crush lengthwise for recycling, to a compact disk with a neck, and in a pinch can be crushed to save space and “re-inflated” to 80-90 percent of their capacity several times as needed. This can increase your water carrying capacity in a small pack without taking up much room.<br><br>Shower curtains make fine groundcloths and are not bad as a one-man bivouac tarp in a pinch.<br><br>IMHO, if you want the scenario to be a test only for cost and not also for availability, then you have to include a local surplus store as well- and that, in itself, solves many of the cost problems.<br>
Posted by: Tjin

Re: $50 exercise - 04/21/02 12:40 PM

i think i get it even cheaper... by buying some thingy's from those shops who sell all there things for 1 dollar (or euro's ) like dollarland / euroland and stuff.<br><br>a swiss armyknife like thingy( need to be sharped ): 1.5 euro <br>a sharper ( piece of sharpening stone or whatever ): 3 euro <br>disposible lighters ( 5 pack ): 1 euro<br>toy wistle: 1 euro <br>trash bags: 1 or 2 euro <br>aluminicum foil: 1 or 2 euro's <br>duct tape: 2 euro <br>p-38: 1.25 euro<br>flashlight: 3 euro's <br>some rope: 1 euro <br>small mirror: 2 euro <br>Chlorine bleach: 2 euro's <br>plasticbags: 1 euro <br>matches: 1 euro <br>space blanket: 4 euro <br>some fishing wire and hooks: 5 euro <br><br>and i still got money left smile <br>

Re: $50 exercise - 04/21/02 07:26 PM

You all did far better than I did. Is this a lesson or reminder of what some folks face? It took all of us TIME and MONEY to assemble our kits ( and I am working on mine still.) $50 is a LOT of money to many people. Finding a source to spend that $50 at often as difficult. Me? I looked in my pocket and found a $20 for this week's gasoline. I "hypothetically" bought 250 strike anywhere matches $1 An OLD HICKORY carbon knife ( no sheath and a plain clip point for ag work) for $12, 8 candles for another $2, 1 disposable lighter $1 a unit of bottled water $2 and some cordage for $2. Scary isn't it? But then we were all instantly better prepared than most.

Re: $50 exercise - 04/21/02 07:30 PM

To stop army issue canteens from leaking - cut a 3x3 inch square out of a plastic garbage bag. Put it over the mouth of the bottle. Replace cap and tighten. This also works with plastic Jerry Cans if the trail is particulary rough and you don't want to spill gasoline.<br><br>Mariner

Re: $50 exercise - 04/21/02 08:10 PM

Thanks, but… I’ve been told several times, from several sources, that many plastic trash bags have insecticide embedded in the plastic (to keep bugs from chewing in or out), and that because of this they should not be used to store food- apparently it's actually strong enough to contaminate the food and cause illness. That being the case, I’d hesitate to use them for a canteen seal.<br><br>I never had problems with the real US army issue canteens leaking, just with the imitations. It does take some faith in a bottle to go to sleep with it in your bag, outside on a cold night, though. :-)<br>

Re: $50 exercise - 04/22/02 06:37 AM

PC2K<br><br>Hi! Please excuse my ignorance & laziness, but what is the exchange rate for Euros & US dollars? Don't take that as accusation or criticism, I'm just plain curious. <br><br>Thanks,<br><br>John

Re: $50 exercise - 04/22/02 06:39 AM

Peanut,<br><br>I think we guessed wrong. They're gonna be lookin down our sights. :-)<br><br>John
Posted by: Tjin

Re: $50 exercise - 04/22/02 12:48 PM

well it cost you round 0.88 $ us to buy 1 euro

Re: $50 exercise - 04/22/02 05:11 PM

<br>Another interesting quesion is: Which item from your lost kit would prevent you from going on the hike if an acceptable sustitute isnt found?<br><br>

Re: $50 exercise - 04/22/02 05:54 PM

The purpose of this exercise is not to discourage anyone from "going on a hike" because a piece of equipment is missing. Indeed, 95% of hikers at best have a water bottle and little else. As Doug writes onsite, being prepared is a hard sell. I started this for the benefit of Zoltan and people like him. He realised the need, but then looked at the considerable cash outlay and ( for many nations) difficulty in simply acquiring the gear at any cost. I don't see us reviewing the load bearing strength of Grandma's clothline. Paracord may be the cordage of choice, but for many clothesline the cordage of reality.
Posted by: billvann

Re: $50 exercise - 04/22/02 06:18 PM

Not bad. But the scenario is a country store and a gas station. I doubt either will carry a P-38. Also, the blase on a kitchen knife will be thin and perhaps too flimsy. I like Peanut's suggestion of a SAK knock-off better. It may be cheap and not last long, but my hope is that it will last long enough, plus it has other tools, such as a can opener.<br><br>I'd also likely add some sort of small bottle for the clorine as a whole gallon is going to slow you down on a hike!

Re: $50 exercise - 04/22/02 06:19 PM

Hmmm... I've got to camp in the same places you go. A cyber-country store? ;-)<br><br>

Re: $50 exercise - 04/22/02 06:29 PM

It is an interesting question. I hadn’t thought about it, but for me, I guess, the answer is that there is no such item.<br><br>I’ve done lots of day hikes from, say, 3-11 horizontal miles in warm weather with nothing more than the normal contents of my pockets (or less, sometimes, as I tend to leave some things in the car) and a water bottle. Maybe that’s imprudent.. but the worst that has happened is that I’ve been drenched by summer thunderstorms, which, if you’re going to keep moving, is no big deal. Sometimes getting wet is more comfortable than rain gear anyway, when it’s warm out.<br><br>Similarly, I once thought I might be in trouble when a the stitching holding a strap in place on a pair of Merrill hiking sandals started to go, and I had no needle, thread, or tape. But… it was summer (or I wouldn’t have been wearing sandals), and I’ve experimented with barefoot hiking since then (barefoot hiking and even backpacking are increasing in popularity... do a google search on "barefoot hiking", you'll be amazed) so what was the big deal? So, it’s slower- there was no real hazard. <br><br>For more challenging hikes (wherever there might be a real hazard) or backpacking, pretty much everything in the PSK is, or should be, a backup to some other piece of equipment. When I was younger I did a great deal of backpacking without a separate PSK, though I might have had backups for some essential gear. If I lost the PSK, I might redistribute some items from pack to pockets, but I can’t see calling the trip off just because I don’t have two of something.<br>

Re: $50 exercise - 04/22/02 07:48 PM

<br>I think you hit the nail on the head with this statement...<br><br>"For more challenging hikes (wherever there might be a real hazard) or backpacking, pretty much everything in the PSK is, or should be, a backup to some other piece of equipment. "<br><br>I never really viewed PSK's in that light, and I think it's a very important point worth keeping in mind. Thanks.<br>
Posted by: aardwolfe

Re: $50 exercise - 04/23/02 02:02 AM

Chris: I think this is one of the more important threads I've seen on this forum.<br><br>As you point out, safety/security is a tough sell. I'm a computer security consultant by profession, and even after September 11, it's difficult convincing companies to pay for something like Security Awareness Training, whose benefits are intangible and invisible. I'm also a Wilderness First Aid instructor. I set up a course at the company where I work; out of over 100 employees, I got 4 people to sign up. (Two of them were a married couple, an employee and his wife; the wife had broken her ankle while out mountain-biking a year or so ago, and had to be carried, in extreme pain, over a mile to the trailhead. Of the other two, one slept in and missed the second day of the prerequisite course and may be having second thoughts about the WFA course this weekend.)<br><br>When I gave a talk on Wilderness Survival and Being Prepared to a group of fellow pilots a few years ago, my PSK took up a large ziplock bag. The reaction from more than one of the pilots was "I don't have room for all that stuff." (To be fair, several of them came up to me afterwards and asked for the ISBN number of the SAS Survival Guide I showed in my talk, or asked where I had bought it.) <br><br>The bottom line, I think, is that most people see a PSK as an expendable item. Showing them a PSK that can be put together from household items and fits in their shirt pocket is far more valuable (to them ;-) than bragging about the latest $800 acquisition for your toy collection. :-)

Re: $50 exercise - 04/23/02 04:29 AM

No simple answer. It depends upon the hike, the prevailing conditions, your familiarity with the area, and your experience in this environment. However, I wouldn't recommend a desert hike starting at 10 AM without a canteen(s) and water, or a start into a gathering winter storm without a good jacket and bombproof fire making capability. It boils down to - your knowledge, skill, ingenuity, and experience are more critical than any equipment.

Re: $50 exercise - 04/23/02 07:07 AM

Bill,<br><br>If the P-38 is unavailable, I'd get whatever other small, reliable, & cheap can opener was available. Conceivably it would be a church key type of opener. While not elegant, puncturing enough holes around the can lid would eventually open the can. <br><br>I'd love to have bought a SAK, but a real one is not possible within the budgetary constraint. I would not get a cheap knockoff. They are frequently designed & manufactured poorly to unservicably, and the steel may be to soft to hold a decent edge. A kitchen utility knife has no moving parts & only 2 parts in total: a metal shaft for blade & tang, & a handle. You can make a good one cheaply. Kitchen utility knives are not bad knives. If used carefully, a kitchen utility knife should suffice. Note that Peanut & you spend $14 for a knockoff, only 1 or 2 item(s). That left only $36 for the rest of the kit. I'm not criticizing his choices for him; they're just not all that I want for me. I'm not spending 28% of my budget on a single tool. <br><br>I think Leatherman tools are expensive for a glorified pair of pliers. I have tried several inexpensive multitools. They turned out to be cheap junk. You do tend to get what you pay for. A good multitool is worthwhile. You just can't get them cheaply. I gave up on that matter. My wife, son, & I now have 4. Youngest son will probably get one too when his hand is big enough to properly & safely operate one.<br><br>[Incidentally, $14 is about what my son's SAK Tinker cost wholesale a few years. Unfortunately, Chris omitted my favorite vendor (where I can buy everything they have wholesale) from the town.]<br><br>BTW, I bought the 1 quart bottle of chlorine bleach. ;-)) <br><br>Two crucial difficulties with the scenario are: 1. $50 is a very harsh & restrictive constraint; 2. The 2 vendors available severely limit alternatives. In the stated situation, that may be all we really would have available. Therefore, it's realistic to consider what we would actuallly do in such a severely limited market. OTH, those outside the USA, have an entire world for a market. They, & we, have vast alternatives. For non-Americans, the parameter was too narrow. Even with an unlimited budget, I doubt we could get a really good kit from the described vendors. However, if we assume one is really a rural general store with extensive offerings, then...<br><br>Anyway, I'm grateful to Chris for posing a scenario. It was a fun & provocative exercise. I hope we get more.<br><br>John
Posted by: AndyO

Re: $50 exercise - 04/23/02 02:13 PM

Would you believe that my friends and I played this game for real? Three of us with two days off with a combined 18 bucks and change.<br><br>1. Begged for one of those little knives at Subway.<br>2. Bottle of tincture of Iodine<br>3. 2 2 liter bottles of Fanta Orange on sale for .79<br>4. 2 8' by 10' 2mil plastic painter's tarps<br>5. Cricket lighter<br>6. 2 large cans of some kind of Chef-boy-hardee product.<br>7. Bic lighter and a book of cheap paper matches<br>8. 1 lb bag of Mahatma rice<br>9. Filtched condiments from Subway (18 plus change is after we ate lunch at Subway!)<br>10. We found some lashing string and picked up alot of goodies on the trail. Yuppies can be pretty careless with their toys....<br>11. We topped off our sodas and did the Standing Indian- Albert Mountain loop in North Carolina (on the A.T.) with nothing more than the clothes on our backs and the mentioned items.... And we had a few bucks left over for gas to get us back to Athens, GA. Actually, we ran out of Gas in Clayton, GA but the manager at the Racetrack gas station there gave us five gallons because she was good friends with the lady that ran the summer camp I went to wneh I was a child...

Re: $50 exercise - 04/23/02 03:07 PM

Actually, the "modern" country store. I live in a smaller college town, and like most small towns, Hell has devoured most of our stores. Yes, I mean Wally World. The reason I quoted web sites was for evidenciary purposes, and Coglan's stuff and knock-offs are readily available there.<br><br>Peanut

Re: $50 exercise - 04/23/02 03:38 PM

>>>Would you believe that my friends and I played this game for real?<br><br>Outstanding! Can you imagine the company executive's eyes at one of those personal developnt or team work seminars if the instructor gave them $50 and three days to get from point a to point B. (Throw in a midway check point to ensure they cross the terrain!). Sure beats the "write down the items you'd save from the wrecked place" exercise.
Posted by: AndyO

Re: $50 exercise - 04/23/02 05:12 PM

To actually play the game as prescribed...<br><br>1. $20 Knife. Case, Buck, SAK.. whatever they had<br>2. twin pack of lighters, or 1 and matches, no more than $3<br>3. 2 2 liter bottles of cheapest soda >$2<br>4. 1oz bottle tincture of Iodine $1<br>5. Spool of twine, pref. nylon. $3<br>6. A few cans of Food, total $6.<br>7. Bag of rice $2<br>8. Trash bags $4<br>9. Cheap compass to round it out to $50 plus tax.

Re: $50 exercise - 04/24/02 12:52 AM

Given:<br>non-home city, lost psk / edc, planned for Recreational hike, available country store and convenience store, $50.00 to spend.<br><br>I would expect that in this scenario I would have my hiking gear and would continue without too much worry since the lost items are redundant. I haven't lost my backpack and it's contents. I might redistribute some items to my pockets / belt from my backpack just to ensure that I would have them if I lost my pack.<br><br>Assembling a sufficient gear set to go on that hike without anything else from $50.00 is another matter. This is more akin to putting together a BOB for $50.00 than a PSK.<br><br>To play along here's the $50.00 BOB I would assemble from the country store / convenience store<br>price <br> <br>kitchen<br>$0.00 1 lb coffee can empty begged from the convenience store<br>if they serve coffee to thier customers there's a reasonable chance they will be discarding a coffee can during the course of the day.<br><br>$0.00 wire coat hanger begged from convenience store / country store<br>whichever store sells clothes to the locals will have these and usually will give them up if you pretend to have locked your keys in your car. The clothing manufacturers supply them with more all the time.<br><br>$1.00 can of canned meat of your choice<br>with the coffee can and the coathanger you can make a decent hobo stove and the can from the canned meat will provide the needed cook pot.<br><br>$2.50 Large Container of instant oatmeal<br>1 lb can feed a man for a few days though it's boring<br> <br>Water<br>$2.00 2 liter bottle of refreshment<br>refreshment, water carriage<br><br>$0.00 Handfull of straws from convenience store<br>tinder, solar still, seep<br><br>$1.50 iodine tablets, quart clorox, pool hypochlorate, powdered laundry chlorine, potassium permanganate etc. Whatever is available<br>water treatment. With this there needs to be some experience with the basic chemistry of whichever is available for these options to be useful and not posionous.<br> <br>Fire<br>$0.00 empty film canister begged from the convenience store / country store<br>if they process film for thier customers then they will be discarding film canisters. This will provide waterproof storage for the matches and tinder.<br><br>$0.00 As many as possible book matches from the convenience store clerk. If they sell tobacco products they will also give away book matches to any customer that asks politely the key is that you be buying something.<br><br>$1.00 Bic lighter<br><br>$1.00 24 birthday candles<br><br>$0.00 Handfull of toothpicks from convenience store<br>tinder<br><br>$0.00 local free news-paper / advertiser paper<br>tinder, ass-wipe, food wrapper<br>$0.00 plastic bag and paper bag from the store clerk <br>luggage, tinder, water carrying<br> <br>General tools<br>$3.00 box of lawn bags 10 bags<br>shelter, poncho, luggage<br><br>$5.00 SAK knockoff<br>blade, saw, scissors, awl, can opener<br><br>$2.00 nylon twine 100 - 300 feet<br>shelter building, fishing, securing luggage (trash bags), extra thread for sewing <br><br>$4.00 fishing tackle assortment<br>Should include 1 lure, 1 to 5 hooks, 1 to 5 sinkers, 1 worm minimum<br><br>$5.00 First Aid kit<br><br>$3.00 15 foot snare wire or picture hanging wire which is very similar but more widely available.<br><br>$3.00 duct tape<br><br>$2.00 Sewing kit<br><br>$6.00 compass<br><br>$4.00 bicycle inner-tube<br>slingshot, ranger-bands for securing shelter and luggage, tinder<br><br>$4.00 small led keychain flashlight<br><br>TOTAL - $46.00 <br><br>I would expect that I could manage a decent setup and survive for however long it took for SAR to find me or manage E & E till I arrived at safe-haven with this and a decent bit of skill. Of course a back-pack fashioned from nylon twine and a lawn sized garbage bag would be somewhat uncomfortable to haul around and cooking on a hobo stove made from a 1 lb coffee can is somewhat of a skill. Living on oatmeal and found wild food is boring but can be made to work. None of this works for long without the skill to use the expedient water treatments or knowledge of local flora / fauna or seasonably appropriate clothing to start with. Most of this might fit in the coffee can and that could be strung on the twine accross the shoulder to balance the 2 liter water on the other shoulder. If the oats come in a tin than that would be better. If you could find the oats as feed at the country store you could procure substantially more though of a somewhat lower quality. This might make it possible to move faster since you wouldn't have to stop to hunt / fish / forage for food. An extra film canister could make collecting tinder easier. This list and set of skills and talents are suitable in the urban environ as well if you find yourself homeless.