Handicapped License Plates & Placard Problem.

Posted by: alvacado

Handicapped License Plates & Placard Problem. - 04/19/07 02:05 AM

When I mentioned to my law inforcement pistol range partners that I was going to get Handicapped Plates for my wife's car, they almost came unglued. They said, in their experience, my wife would then be three or four times more likely to be a crime victim. They suggested that I get the blue rear view mirror hanging placard and only use it when absoutely necessary. Their point was so obvious that I had never consisered it; if you "advertise" that you are weak and defenseless you will attract every bad guy that sees your "ad".
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Handicapped License Plates & Placard Problem. - 04/19/07 02:20 AM

I'd agree, to a point- handicapped spots are usually closer to the "front" of lot, and thus the door. High traffic area, well lit, everything you want to do reduce your likelihood of being targeted. I would see it as more of a target with a carjacking, park on the street or if you have to use a large parking garage. I guess the only way to answer the question is to sit down with your wife after having your range buddies get you real data, and have a conversation where her disabilities are honestly appraised. Also check with disability advocacy agencies and maybe AARP, they might have the numbers if no one else does. If the advantages of the placard outweigh what I would see as a slight increase in risk, then I would say go for it.

Does Texas use a placard or plates? If it's a placard that hangs from a rearview or on the dash, use it when needed and take it down when you want a slightly lower profile.
Posted by: alvacado

Re: Handicapped License Plates & Placard Problem. - 04/19/07 03:11 AM

Ironraven:
A couple of points:
The fact that the handicapped spots are up front, well lighted, etc, makes it that much easier for the bad guys to spot your "ad" and follow you HOME or elsewhere, where many of the crimes occur.
I apoligize if my post somehow implied that I am asking for confirmation, verification, or advice on this subject...I am not. My purpose is simply to alert others.

Lastly, Texas offers both the HC Lic. Plate OR Placards.

Posted by: stevez

Re: Handicapped License Plates & Placard Problem. - 04/19/07 03:26 PM

Thanks for the information! This would be good information for the issuing agency to include when distributing the plates or placards.
Posted by: kmat

Re: Handicapped License Plates & Placard Problem. - 04/19/07 03:43 PM

Thank you for the information. I have been asked many times to fill out and sign applications for my patients. I will share this info with my patients and friends. Thanks again!
kmat
Posted by: thtimster

Re: Handicapped License Plates & Placard Problem. - 04/19/07 09:58 PM

Handicap licence plates also present the problem that they may be
easily removed/stolen. The interior tag that you would hang from
your rear-view mirror is harder to get to (if you lock your doors.)
Posted by: philip

Re: Handicapped License Plates & Placard Problem. - 04/20/07 04:42 AM

> They said, in their experience, my wife would then be three or four times
> more likely to be a crime victim.

I haven't seen any mention of that in the papers or on the news. I realize it's "in their experience," but I have some reservations about it. Does anyone have any links or other resources where I could look that up? I have relatives who need and have handicapped parking plates, and I'd hate to see them having to go any further than they do now when it's not that certain.
Posted by: wildman800

Re: Handicapped License Plates & Placard Problem. - 04/20/07 01:31 PM

I wouldn't accept this at face value, KMAT. My van has had these plates for 21+ years and we have never had a problem. I believe that's because almost all Handicapped parking spots are at the front of stores, etc.

The biggest problem we have is when those spots are full and we have to park in a regular spot. We then park in the back 40 and inevitably, some AH will park right next to us on the van's cargo door (right) side. We then have to pull back (into the traffic lane of the parking lot) to load my daughter's chair.

We use situational awareness at all times and don't stop/unload in questionable places.

Re: Handicapped License Plates & Placard Problem. - 04/20/07 03:36 PM

That was the point I was trying to make.

My "range buddies" with badges are better at borrowing trouble than they are at shooting, and some of them are pretty good at the latter. I can't imagine it's too different in Texas.

Besides, if you need the tag, odds are you have a mobility issue that sticks out like, well, a cane.
Posted by: Susan

Re: Handicapped License Plates & Placard Problem. - 04/21/07 02:21 PM

As far as I can tell, there is no real point to handicapped plates. They let you park in handicapped spots. Period.

The hanging placards are removable. When hung from the rear-view mirror, they let you park in handicapped spots.

If there is a difference, please explain.

"...the handicapped spots are up front, well lighted, etc, makes it that much easier for the bad guys to spot your "ad" and follow you HOME or elsewhere, where many of the crimes occur."

When crimes against the handicapped occur, do you think the criminal speaks up and says, "Oh, I knew she wouldn't be a problem because she was driving a car with handicapped plates".

Don't look for figures on crimes based on the victim's license plate, because in many cases no one even realizes that's why the crime occurred. Wildman800 may be aware of his surroundings, but most people could have someone follow them home in a bright purple VW Thing with blinking headlights and not notice it.

And just because you haven't been a victim yet, doesn't mean you won't be one tomorrow.

Sue

Re: Handicapped License Plates & Placard Problem. - 04/22/07 02:03 AM

very true, Susan!!
Posted by: philip

Re: Handicapped License Plates & Placard Problem. - 04/23/07 12:21 AM

> there is no real point to handicapped plates. They let you park in
> handicapped spots. Period.
>
> The hanging placards are removable. When hung from the rear-view
> mirror, they let you park in handicapped spots.
>
> If there is a difference, please explain.

The laws vary, so the differences may vary from state to state. When my wife broke her leg, the doctor signed the form for us to get a handicapped placard while she was wheelchair bound (it was broken too severely for either a walker or crutches). This let us park in a handicapped space and get her to and from the doctor's office more conveniently for example. It was a temporary need, hence a placard. I understand also that some states issue placards if the qualifying person does not own a car. Whoever is transporting them gets to use the placard.

Plates may be issued for permanent needs.

> And just because you haven't been a victim yet, doesn't mean you
> won't be one tomorrow.

This is so general that it fails to have meaning. I have never been struck by lightning, never been run over by a car, and of _course_ that doesn't mean I won't be struck by lightning nor run over by a car. Conversely, it doesn't require that I will be struck by lightning or run over by a car. I haven't won the lottery, and the fact that I never buy tickets _may_ have a bearing on not winning, but I don't think buying a ticket will prevent me from losing. :->

My question remains, what are the odds? I have never seen any information that people with handicap placards or plates are more subject to attacks because of that sign. I have doubts. If there's more information than has been given, I'd be very interested in reading up on it.

But I'm not living my life based on the theory that just because I haven't been hit by lightning or murdered so far doesn't mean I won't be. I've seen the numbers, and I know the odds.
Posted by: bigmbogo

Re: Handicapped License Plates & Placard Problem. - 04/24/07 12:41 AM

If you're worried about looking like an easy victim with a handicap tag, just neutralize it by sticking an NRA bumper sticker near it.

Dave
Posted by: Eugene

Re: Handicapped License Plates & Placard Problem. - 04/24/07 01:00 AM

It only takes a second for a purse snatcher, I'm guessing someone handicapped may be in a wheelchair or walking with a walker/crutches so they wouldn't be able to hang on to a purse.
I was walking out of a hardware store so I was near the door in plain site around lunch time and a guy walking toward the store stopped at a truck with a toolbox in the back, popped open the tool box and looked inside then closed it and continued to walk to the store. I yelled, was that your property and he flipped me off and kept on walking so me being there didn't stop his attempted theft.
When I worked retail in college I would push in carts from the parking lot. People would drive down an isle and a couple kids would hop out and walk across the rows of cars checking for unlocked door handles the meet the driver a few isles over and get back in and drive off. I gave several license plate numbers to the security people in the store.

Re: Handicapped License Plates & Placard Problem. - 04/24/07 01:07 AM

I've always heard that any markings on the car make you a target. For example having the sticker your auto insurance agent gives you invites people who are looking to commit insurance fraud since they know you have an insurance policy. Or having an NRA sticker says there might be guns under the seat that could be stolen. Or the rental car company sticker when your on vacation. Or the out of state plates when your in a tourist area. So there are a lot of ways to advertise.
I have a truck with a cap on the back and used to have old network cable boxes cut so I could stick them in the cap windows so it looked like I was carrying a load of cable instead of my camping/traveling gear but now people steal wire and cable to sell the copper.

Re: Handicapped License Plates & Placard Problem. - 04/24/07 01:11 AM

My guess is because someone handicapped might have their hands full with their chair/crutches/walker that they make an easy target for something like a purse snatching. Also you can usually spot them coming out of the store so just before you break their window glass you can glance at people exiting the store and see that none look handicapped and bet that they are not going to be walking toward the car your about to hit, so the smash and grab crimes are easier.
Posted by: shecky

Re: Handicapped License Plates & Placard Problem. - 04/24/07 01:31 PM

Is there any actual data that shows people with handicapped plates/placards are victimized at higher rates than the general population?

Re: Handicapped License Plates & Placard Problem. - 04/24/07 10:39 PM

The question is, where victims selected because of their plates, or because they are handicapped?
Posted by: Susan

Re: Handicapped License Plates & Placard Problem. - 04/25/07 03:02 AM

"Is there any actual data that shows people with handicapped plates/placards are victimized at higher rates than the general population?"

How could there be? How would they know? Do the police officers writing their report in the ER beside the patient ask them if they had handicapped plates as SOP? Bet not.

"The question is, where victims selected because of their plates, or because they are handicapped?"

You sure wouldn't make much of a mugger, Ironraven! First, you check out the parking lot for handicapped plates, then you park nearby and pick your teeth, waiting to see if the driver really is handicapped. If they aren't, you pass. If they are, you follow them home, and bash 'em before they get to their front door.

There's a trick to handicapped plates vs. the handicapped hang tags: You REALLY need to be handicapped to get the plates. Any bozo can get a hangtag. I read where it is estimated that over half of the issued tags belong to perfectly healthy people who just like to park in handicapped spots because they're lazy. Muggers probably know this....... they've probably got their own tags.

Sue

Re: Handicapped License Plates & Placard Problem. - 04/25/07 03:40 AM

I wouldn't mug people with handicapped tags. It isn't that if I was a mugging someone I'd be having a conscious attack at that point, but because they generally don't have enough money and are too high profile.

The reason I point it out is because my surviving grandparents could get a handicapped tag, and should have one. My grandmother can't drive, and while my grandfather still can (barely), he should be using at least one cane at all times, and he's too stubborn to get the doc to sign the form so he can get a handicapped plate. I see a lot of people who should have handicapped plates who don't, actually. They park a little further back, are just as slow, and because they have further to go, they are more likely to more over burdened. Target is just as easy, the terrain is more forgiving to you, and you can be a helpful young person by offering to help them load their purchases to get that much closer and get them to lower their guard for a moment.

But before I changed from a criminal investigations major to an engineering major, I had already concluded that prison is largely full of stupid people.

Re: Handicapped License Plates & Placard Problem. - 04/25/07 04:10 AM

Thanks Susan, you've just explained a strange phenomenon that I've been observing for years but had no explanation for.