Medical Kit

Posted by: TQS

Medical Kit - 03/31/07 04:32 AM

Here's a site that might be of some interest to those putting a medical kit together, such as myself:
Operational Medicine 2001
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Medical Kit - 03/31/07 04:59 AM

Wow, that is quite a load pictured. In the old days medics were basically non-combatants, but now-a-days I understand that they are shooters as well as healers. I wonder how that guy pictured is gonna carry his bullets and beans on top of all that medical gear...
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Medical Kit - 03/31/07 06:06 AM

Well, in all honesty, I think the US, the Brits and the Commonwealth, and maybe the French have been really hard and fast about the "don't shoot at the guys silly enough to wear red crosses" rule. As for how it all works...

And an M-16 isn't a violation of the thing that says that medics can't carry rifles, because that rule DOES allow medic to carry carbines and other defensive weapons. :P
Posted by: Leigh_Ratcliffe

Re: Medical Kit - 03/31/07 07:24 AM

2 point's:
1) At least one medal of honnour has been won by a medic defending his patients.
2) Only the civilised world observes the laws of war. The bunch that we are up against at present don't. They expect to be treated according to the geneva convention and the laws of war if captured, but claim the right to treat any serviceman who falls into their hands any which way they see fit.

I'm not going to go into a rant about the subject as this is not the right place, but I will note that we are effectivly back to 18th & 19th century colonial warefare. And those rules apply.
Posted by: TQS

Re: Medical Kit - 03/31/07 08:17 AM

Does anyone know where this stuff on this site can be purchased?
Posted by: JIM

Re: Medical Kit - 03/31/07 10:01 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combat_medic
Posted by: MDinana

Re: Medical Kit - 03/31/07 12:13 PM

Numerous MOH were awarded to medics in Vietnam. Probably every other war as well.

Carrying a rifle isn't "self defense." It's "high speed preventitive medicine." The way I look at it, you prevent the other person from shooting, you've just kept yourself fro getting a patient.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Medical Kit - 03/31/07 02:50 PM

This is the closest I found with a little googling.

If you google MOLLE MEDICAL BAG/ SURGICAL INSTRUMENT SET you will find lots of military looking medical (and other) stuff...
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Medical Kit - 03/31/07 05:14 PM

What part of it do you want? The pack and MOLLE components can be purchased through US Cav if you want brand new, or from any of a couple dozen jobbers who are buying them used from the DoD with the retirement of old camouflage patterns.

Either way, I'd probably replace the pack frame with the civilian Outdoor Products Enduroflex (which is very similar and has a better track record) or the Gen4 MOLLE packframe from Eagle (same pattern, MUCH MUCH better built). The origional frame has a bad reputation for snapping when you need to be able to count on it.
Posted by: garrett

Re: Medical Kit - 03/31/07 09:56 PM

Good info there, but I must admit, most of the Doc's I have worked with don't carry all of that. Most are good enough to accomplish just about any task with the bare essentials or level one bag. Most of the stuff listed is actually at the Battalion Aid Station, and not on the Corpsman. Also, notice the date, alot has changed since then.

This info is still good to go. The total wieght is bad, but for a BOB/BIB, it would be fantastic! I have seen some of the components of this full set on ebay, but it has been a while.

Garrett
Posted by: wildman800

Re: Medical Kit - 03/31/07 11:33 PM

I always had a great deal of respect for corpsmen but I never realized they are being weighed down and bulked up this bad! All that plus his regular gear as well.

Remember when the corpsman carried his shoulder bag and a couple of 5.56mm ammo bandeliers (filled with battle dressings), and they might carry a carbine (a few even had a loaded magazine in the weapon).