Source genuine milk crates

Posted by: chuuucky

Source genuine milk crates - 03/29/07 06:33 PM

I think I may remember maybe 2 or 3 years ago, someone had posted a source for those real-deal genuine plastic milk crates (with stainless steel rim ). Now that I need a few, my checking the intrepid ETS archivesd reveals no source frown . Can someone please help? Many thanks in advance. cm.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Source genuine milk crates - 03/29/07 10:26 PM

I have owned several "real-deal" plastic milk crates, with the name/logo of the company moulded in, I found them on the side of the road,. But I have never seen one with a stainless steel rim. Interesting. Some are marked in such a way that possession by other than the milk company itself is supposed to be illegal, meaning that they don't sell them or give them away. The only ones I have seen with a steel rim were all metal, no plastic at all...
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Source genuine milk crates - 03/30/07 02:17 AM

I was the guy looking for them, and I guess that far back didn't make it over when we switched the the new software.

Uline has them, but you have to order about a pallet's worth. There are a couple other places, but it's the same story. Short of committing a misdemeanor, I don't think you can buy just one.
Posted by: wildman800

Re: Source genuine milk crates - 03/30/07 02:22 AM

No, but like OBG stated, he has found some along the highways. I have always found them by walking along riverbanks of rivers that have towboats operating upon them. That means the Mississippi River, Red River, Arkansas River, and many others.

Re: Source genuine milk crates - 03/30/07 02:35 AM

Rivers are probably a better source than highways. Falling from a truck going 55-70 mph causes nasty road rash...
Posted by: Susan

Re: Source genuine milk crates - 03/30/07 02:47 AM

I was the one who sweated and wore my poor little fingers to the bone to get that information. HAD I KNOWN that the info was going to be dumped into cyberspace as teeny, tiny pieces of debris, I would have printed it out and saved it!

However, I think this is the place:

http://www.rehrigpacific.com/dairy_1.html

And if it is the place, they do sell by the single crate, and the price at the time was $16 each. And I think I did ask about the 24-quart crates, rather than the smaller ones.

Sue, who faintly remembers the word 'pacific' in the name...

p.s. If this is the place, please post and let everyone know, including me, okay?
Posted by: gallihand

Re: Source genuine milk crates - 03/30/07 09:34 AM

http://www.containerstore.com/browse/Product.jhtml?CATID=166&PRODID=60136

I haven't bought anything from them but it appears they sell single crates, however the ones from rehrigpacific look sturdier but I can't tell without comparing. If I can find two legal samples I'll compare a little.
Posted by: chuuucky

Re: Source genuine milk crates - 03/30/07 03:08 PM

Susan: yeah, I thought I remembered your having supplied this info back when, thanks for checking-in with your very helpful information. You can bet I will share results of my email to this link when received. Since my needs are small in quantity (4 to 6 units) we shall see what is possible. Thanks very much for your assistance. Thanks to others who have shared their ideas and comments; keep 'em coming please. cm.
Posted by: KTOA

Re: Source genuine milk crates - 03/30/07 08:27 PM

It was Melmat -- $17.38 for one.

http://www.melmat.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabindex=4&tabid=35

Also, the cardboard boxes that copier paper is shipped in fit almost perfectly into a 24 quart container. With a little tape it makes a good liner for the crate.
Posted by: LED

Re: Source genuine milk crates - 03/31/07 03:15 AM

i got my milkcrates from a lady who is a caterer and has access to restaurant supply stores. she got them used for $1 a piece. too bad i moved from the neighborhood and don't know her anymore. anyway, i'd say ask someone from a catering,party supply, or beverage supply business as they primarily use milk crates to tote all their plates, food, etc. to events. i'm sure they have access to used crates for very cheap.

Re: Source genuine milk crates - 03/31/07 05:04 AM

For $17.38 I would get a generic at Office Depot or Wallyworld. Not nearly as tough, but that is a lot of bucks for one crate...
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Source genuine milk crates - 03/31/07 06:07 AM

They look good, but the don't stack worth beans and have no strength. Fully loaded with paper, they tend to have snapping and popping.

Re: Source genuine milk crates - 03/31/07 02:58 PM

Don't know about the stacking, but I had a generic in one of the side compartments of our RV for years, filled with qts of oil, bottles of brake, power steering, etc type fluids, and other vehicle maint type stuff, and it never broke. Not as good as the real thing for sure, but it did the job 'til I found another real one to replace it...
Posted by: balrog

Re: Source genuine milk crates - 03/31/07 08:54 PM

West Marine sells milk crates with their logo on the side.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/sto...hallpartial/0/0

Posted by: wildman800

Re: Source genuine milk crates - 03/31/07 09:50 PM

It seems to my fuzzy mind that I saw milk crates in several sizes for sale at "Bed, Bath, and Beyond". I didn't look at the prices (I have no need for any now) but it MIGHT be worth looking at.