Clip-on LED Flashlights

Posted by: ssbauer

Clip-on LED Flashlights - 03/29/07 02:22 PM

Hello all! My first post...

My wife EDC's a clip-on LED flashlight. The light is connected to the clip via a swivel. She likes the swivel because she can attach it to her Purse and adjust it when searching for stuff in said Purse.

The last few lights I have acquired have all quickly broken at the swivel which is the weak link in the design. I was hoping any Posters have had experience with these type of clip-on flashlights and could recommend a sturdier brand.

Thanks. Lots of good stuff here to read through.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Clip-on LED Flashlights - 03/29/07 02:36 PM

I'm not sure what type/model of light you are talking about, but I suspect that you could get a light with a lanyard ring type fitting on the end cap, then add your own chain/swivel/clip as required. While not an LED, my old Maglite Solitare has a small loop on the butt that I have attached a small split ring to, it would be easy to add a swivel and/or clip to that if I wanted...

Re: Clip-on LED Flashlights - 03/29/07 02:48 PM

This is similar to what I am refering to...

Pelican VB3

You will need to scroll the side bar to find the correct picture.

I don't know much about Pelican product quality.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Clip-on LED Flashlights - 03/29/07 03:28 PM

Can't help you with a swivel/clip for one like that. Pelican has a very good reputation, from what I have read...
Posted by: Arney

Re: Clip-on LED Flashlights - 03/29/07 05:08 PM

Welcome to ETS, ssbauer!

Streamlight has its Clipmate LED light. Takes 3AAA. I have several Streamlight lights which I am happy with, although I've never tried the Clipmate.
Posted by: big_al

Re: Clip-on LED Flashlights - 03/30/07 01:53 AM

You might try the D.R. light showen on the left side panel of the opening page of this form. Nice light and can be used in many different ways.
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Clip-on LED Flashlights - 03/30/07 02:07 AM

Pelican has some of the best moldings around, and when I read your initial post I was going to point you at this guy. The only companies that do it better do it for synthetic pistol frames and the like. That being said, the swivels will be the first thing to go in situation just because they are about the only moving part other than the switch.

I guess I'm fuzzy on a key point- does she have one and it is failing, or she had one and you're worried about it failing, or are you looking to replace one that has failed? This has a good rep for not failing, and that is when it clipped onto the front of body armour in Iraq and Afganistan. If she has one and it is failing, check the warranty, and even if it has passed, I'd still contact Pelican. They have one of those "if it dies and you don't, we want to hear about" interests in their products, at least as far as thier cases go.
Posted by: aardvark

Re: Clip-on LED Flashlights - 03/30/07 08:03 AM

A real cheap light that has a clip are from countycomm.com:
http://countycomm.com/light.htm
I like them because they're cheap enough to buy by the handful and you can stick them everywhere.

Re: Clip-on LED Flashlights - 03/30/07 01:27 PM

Ironraven,

She has had several different brands (none have been Pelican).
All failed at some point at the swivel. She is rough on things. "They are just tools after all" cry

I ordered a couple of the Pelicans. We shall see how they hold. Time will tell.

Scott

Re: Clip-on LED Flashlights - 04/05/07 02:18 PM

I just received the Pelicans. My initial impression is they seem built to last. The clip and the swivel are very sturdy. The next test is day-to-day use.
Posted by: BLADERUNNER

Re: Clip-on LED Flashlights - 05/05/07 12:32 AM

SSBAUER
I have to ditto what Aardvark suggested with the county com light. they are real cheap, the clip is very strong and they are more than bright enough to look thru a purse with. My wife has several of these and she loves them, she uses hers all the time and since she has several of them she can lend or give them to someone else if needed. these light are almost as bright as a photon.
Posted by: leemann

Re: Clip-on LED Flashlights - 05/05/07 06:35 AM

One of the lights I have was a freebee in a box of frosted flakes Clips to ear. Not white though.

Lee
Posted by: raiderrescuer

Re: Clip-on LED Flashlights - 05/05/07 01:45 PM

I suppose one of the new lightweight headlamps are out of the question.
Posted by: Micah513

Re: Clip-on LED Flashlights - 05/05/07 02:34 PM

This site also has them cheap enough that I bought a 6 pack of the swivel $2.75 & dozen of the keychain ones that are only $1.25 a piece. I've been using them for awhile now & have not had one break on me. The one on my keychain has taken a beating & still works fine.
Posted by: BLADERUNNER

Re: Clip-on LED Flashlights - 05/05/07 10:42 PM

MICAH513
These are the same lights that they sell at CountyCom.Com
as a matter of fact it looks like their entire inventory is stuff that they bought from countycom. I think you could buy stuff directly from countycom and save some money but I could be wrong
Posted by: cajun_kw

Re: Clip-on LED Flashlights - 05/06/07 05:34 PM

Will have to give these a try. I've been buying Photon II's and sprinkling them around to family and friends for a couple years and have one in all my kits, and key rings. For the price these might work good enough and be a lot less expensive.