Silly question regarding paracord

Posted by: MichaelJ07

Silly question regarding paracord - 03/24/07 01:59 AM

We have a 1000 ft roll of paracord. We are wondering what would be the most effective lengths to cut into. We realize most hanks come in 100 ft lengths, but what do you folks cut yours into AFTER that for practical use in the out-of-doors?

I told you in the Subject line it was a silly question!

Thanks for yer time!
Michael & Son
Posted by: samhain

Re: Silly question regarding paracord - 03/24/07 02:13 AM

I don't believe there is a such a thing as a silly question.

I buy mine in the 50 foot sections that I get a the local sporting goods store because that's what's readily available when I want it.

I keep it in that length until I need it for something and then let necessity determine what length I need.

If I end up buying a bulk spool of it in the future (not a bad idea), I will probably cut off a few 50 foot sections to carry mostly because that's what I'm used to dealing with.

(we Homo sapiens are consistent if not anything)

I'm always open to suggestions though.

Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Silly question regarding paracord - 03/24/07 02:15 AM

This has been discussed here more than once, and you will probably find quite a few opinions. A couple of 25 footers will satisfy many folks, with some special cut to length if you carry a tarp or any other type of shelter. That way, when it comes time to rig up some cover, you already have the pieces ready to go...
Posted by: KenK

Re: Silly question regarding paracord - 03/24/07 03:04 AM

As you might have suspected, each answer is unique. I tend to buy 100 foot hanks of the delightful orange paracord from countycomm.com.

I'll cut a 100' hank into six 16+' lengths for most uses and then cut one 100' hank into two 50' lengths. Each length is wrapped around my palm and tied off to make a nice little easy-to-handle bundle, though the 50' lengths are a bit harder to handle. I'll usually carry at least 6-12 16+' lengths and the two 50' lengths when out camping.

The 16+' lengths are VERY easy to unravel and by far get the most regular use while camping to tie stuff together, to lash logs, or as storm guys on tents. The 50' lengths are primarily used as clothes lines and for hoisting the flag into a tree.

Re: Silly question regarding paracord - 03/24/07 03:56 AM

The responses are great and have helped us a whole happy bunch. Thanks for your input! I really appreciate your help.

Michael & Michael
Posted by: ZenEngineer

100' of paracord... - 03/24/07 04:58 AM

I buy paracord in 100' lengths, then crochet it into a 9"x7" square, which can easily be stored in a pack or a car. The crochet makes it like a very tight daisy chain. Then when I need some I just pull off how much I need and cut.
Posted by: smitty

Re: 100' of paracord... - 03/24/07 05:13 AM

Originally Posted By: ZenEngineer
I buy paracord in 100' lengths, then crochet it into a 9"x7" square, which can easily be stored in a pack or a car. The crochet makes it like a very tight daisy chain. Then when I need some I just pull off how much I need and cut.

Zen....
Could you possibly post some pics of this?

Thanks,

smitty
Posted by: Raspy

Re: Silly question regarding paracord - 03/24/07 08:18 AM

I made a belt using the Slatt's Rescue belt knot and paracord. It is 7 stitches wide and 54 inches long. It holds 150 feet of cord.
Knot
Posted by: balrog

Re: Silly question regarding paracord - 03/24/07 09:33 AM

On our tarps that we use for shelters have paracords on all of the grommets that stay attached even during storage. Usually about two to three arm spans.

50 feet is pretty managable. I was taught to never cut a rope unless you absolutely needed to. This is especially true for temporary setups like a clothes line. Our troop had some metal buckets with various lengths of rope with whipped ends. If you got off your butt and dug through the can you could probably find the length you needed. The rule was if you cut a rope you had to whip the two ends that you cut.

For long lengths of cord, I coil most of it neatly then wrap a bird's nest/daisy chan around the coil to keep it neat. For shorter lengths you can wrap it like a hayanawa.
Posted by: norad45

Re: Silly question regarding paracord - 03/24/07 11:23 AM

I find myself cutting about 20' lengths for carry while hiking, otherwise I leave it in the 100' sections that I buy it in.
Posted by: tfisher

Re: Silly question regarding paracord - 03/24/07 02:09 PM

I buy paracord in 1000' foot spools also.

Then for EDC I have a cobra braid key fob unbraided is about 22 feet.

For my hike kit I have a 75 foot length, a 25 foot length, a 6 foot, and a 3 foot with a frayed end. 75 and 25 for shelters etc. 6 foot for those handy little needs. the 3 foot for making bow for fire drill or I can get a inner strand for small projects. I find I use up my 3 footer quicker then I replace the 3 footers from the 6 foot length that is getting worn.The 6 and the 3 I call my working lengths. I also replace my boot laces with Paracord. My compass has a neck lanyard of just the outer sheath of paracord(no inner strands) with a quick disconnect so I don't get choked if tangled.
Posted by: Russ

Re: Silly question regarding paracord - 03/24/07 02:45 PM

Depends on the kit. My truck kit has a 100' length; I'll cut from that length as the need arises. The kits I carry have a couple 20' lengths.
Posted by: raydarkhorse

Re: Silly question regarding paracord - 03/24/07 04:48 PM

I keep one 100' length and a few assorted lengths that have been cut off over the years. Once I cut around half of my 100' section I put another 100' in my pack.

Re: 100' of paracord... - 03/25/07 05:20 AM

Originally Posted By: smitty

Zen....
Could you possibly post some pics of this?

Thanks,

smitty

Yeah, others have asked for pictures as well. Let me see what I can do.

Pics of Paracord Crochet posted - 03/25/07 07:16 AM

Survival Forum Link
Posted by: frenchy

Re: Pics of Paracord Crochet posted - 03/25/07 10:43 AM

exactly what I intend to do with same of the 100feet bundles I recently bought.
I will just use Slatt's knot, instead of learning "crochet" ...
Posted by: yeti

Re: Silly question regarding paracord - 03/25/07 01:13 PM

Originally Posted By: tfisher
Then for EDC I have a cobra braid key fob unbraided is about 22 feet.

how long is the finished fob?

Re: Silly question regarding paracord - 03/25/07 01:53 PM

WOW! You folks sure do give a lot of options! Never imagined there are so many different possibilities for Mr. Paracord!

Now, I'm gonna have to git another 1000' and try all the suggestions......

Again, many thanks for all the responses!

Michael

Slatt's OK, but crochet is easier - 03/25/07 03:59 PM

Originally Posted By: frenchy
exactly what I intend to do with same of the 100feet bundles I recently bought.
I will just use Slatt's knot, instead of learning "crochet" ...

I saw some posts on Slatt's knot last month. Because of the way the knots are laid out, it looks a bit more labor intensive than what I do. The crochet is pretty easy once the basic moves are learned. I can do 100 feet while watching a single DVD movie and it doesn't take much concious thought. Actually it's kind of soothing mechanical action. I can see why a lot of people knit or crochet.