How Many Use Char Cloth on a Regular Basis?

Posted by: alvacado

How Many Use Char Cloth on a Regular Basis? - 03/18/07 05:14 AM

I understand that a few folks have made Char Cloth containers for fun and as part of our joint hobby thing(Thanks Susan); however I am wondering how many really take them into the field?
Posted by: Pharaoh

Re: How Many Use Char Cloth on a Regular Basis? - 03/18/07 10:56 PM

I do.
And even though I have all the modern ways of making fire in my possesion, I make fire using charcloth in a fire piston sometimes and most of the time with time honoured flint and steel.
I use this for lighting my campstove (woodstove) and my BBQ all the time just because I can and I enjoy doing things the old way. (And keep my modern firelighters as a backup).
Pharaoh.
Posted by: MichaelJ07

Re: How Many Use Char Cloth on a Regular Basis? - 03/19/07 04:22 AM

I always carry some in my wallet. Used some on March 13th, the first warm day in Michigan. Love what one can do with worn-out tee shirts that the wifey-pooh has forbidden me to wear on my body.
Posted by: alvacado

Re: How Many Use Char Cloth on a Regular Basis? - 03/19/07 11:23 PM

Thats what I thought, another talk the talk "survival" item. Thanks for your response.
Posted by: Blast

Re: How Many Use Char Cloth on a Regular Basis? - 03/20/07 03:36 AM

Quote:
I always carry some in my wallet.

Michael,

How do you carry it in your wallet? I find it is too fragile to store in anything less than an candy tin.

-Blast
Posted by: Menawa

Re: How Many Use Char Cloth on a Regular Basis? - 03/20/07 03:40 AM

I use char cloth to make fire with flint and steel only when I'm "showing off". On actual camping trips, I flick a bic which is what the frontiersmen would have done if they had one. I carry a film container with vaseline soaked cotton balls for my "sure fire" tinder, but rarely use that either. I can usually find birch bark or some fat pine splinters at my camp sites and the carried tinder is just an emergency backup as are my waterproofed matches.
Posted by: MichaelJ07

Re: How Many Use Char Cloth on a Regular Basis? - 03/20/07 11:51 AM

The char cloth in my wallet is contained in a small plastic bag no bigger than a credit card. The unfolded cloth is a little bigger than two playing cards. I have it slipped in behind my drivers license and under that stored $50 bill. I bought a package of various sized plastic bags at our local hobby shop for about $3.00.