Multi-tools

Posted by: Virginia_Mark

Multi-tools - 03/12/07 06:41 PM

After listening to Les Stroud tell us how he never goes anywhere without "a good multi-tool"; I decided I probably should pick one up. I got to looking at a few brands, mainley the Gerber and the Leatherman's. After narrowing it down to a few models, I decieded to go with the Leatherman "Blast". It seemed to be the best blend of features (that I would need) vs. weight. At 6.9 Oz, it has most of the stuff I think you would need, and is 2oz less than the "Wave", and 5oz less than the "Surge".
I have been wearing it on my off hip and I forget it's even there.

What Multi-tools are you guys wearing / using?
Here's a pic of the "Blast"
Posted by: KenK

Re: Multi-tools - 03/12/07 06:56 PM

I bring a LM Charge Ti when out in the field (camping, hiking, etc), though I don't wear it. My fullsize Rittergrip is clipped to my pocket when in the field (the mini Rittergrip takes its place for EDC), and then I alway bring a daypack containing, amoung other things, the LM Charge Ti and my fixed Rittergrip. Usually there also an Estwing Sportsman's axe (hatchet) and an 18" collapsable Trailblazer Buck Saw are also stuffed into my duffle.
Posted by: Rio

Re: Multi-tools - 03/12/07 06:56 PM

I have an old school Gerber I've been packing around off and on for the past 10 years now. It was my first real knife I've ever owned, bought it shortly after joining the Scouts.

I bought it so long ago I don't remember the model name, but here is a pic of the multiplier 600, which is pretty close to what I have.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Multi-tools - 03/12/07 07:04 PM

Welcome Stranger,

I still carry my Leatherman original Supertool. Tried a Surge, it was just too big. I may go for the new model Wave, as soon as Costco or some other discount place has them at a decent price. I carry mine all day, every day, and use at least one of two of its tools daily...
Posted by: JIM

Re: Multi-tools - 03/12/07 07:05 PM

Leatherman Wave and Squirt as EDC
Posted by: Tjin

Re: Multi-tools - 03/12/07 07:18 PM

i prefer the swisstool and the swisstool spirit, they are in my opinion the most well build tools out there. All tools lock and are accesibly from the outside. They have well designed handles, making them very comfortable, without adding the bulk of zytel liners.
Posted by: Malpaso

Re: Multi-tools - 03/12/07 07:40 PM

I have a Gerber similar to Rio's. Just like him, I've had it so long I don't know what model it is. Mine is black with blunt nose pliers.

I often look at other models, and even other brands, thinking I might need an upgrade, but I just like the feel and function of the Gerber.
Posted by: garrett

Re: Multi-tools - 03/12/07 07:46 PM

I would recommend a SwissTool as well. I have had them all, more or less and the SwissTool is IMO, the best on the market.\

Garrett
Posted by: MarshAviator

Re: Multi-tools - 03/12/07 08:22 PM

Another vote for the Swiss tool.
The Surge (Leatherman) a close second.
Have tried them all.
SOG makes a fine tool as well.
But the Swiss tool is my EDC.
Also carry a folder as well,goes without saying right ?
Posted by: Blackeagle

Re: Multi-tools - 03/12/07 08:25 PM

A Leatherman Wave is always on my belt.
Posted by: Westwindmike

Re: Multi-tools - 03/12/07 08:34 PM

My Leatherman Wave is always with me when I fly. If I don't have the Wave with me, the Micra is on my key ring.
Posted by: paramedicpete

Re: Multi-tools - 03/12/07 09:02 PM

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
I've had the Leatherman Wave 2004 since it came out. Love it, but the metal in it I have noticed is fairly low grade. Easily bends. Obviously they made it a little less high grade to keep the tool at a certain weight. I still use it and love it, though. It's always in my pack.

This past Holiday Season Wal-Mart had a $49.99 special. It was the Blast plus leather sheath with a C301 folder. A great deal. A retail price of like $85.

Many of the Wal-marts cleared this package deal out for $15.00 at the end of season. I was able to pick up a couple for presents.

Pete
Posted by: oldsoldier

Re: Multi-tools - 03/12/07 09:49 PM

I just picked up a Kick myslef. Mainly for the same reasons. I had a Gerber Multiplier several years ago, but it always pinched my fingers. I was watching Les this past weekend, and decided to pick one up, finally wink
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Multi-tools - 03/12/07 11:24 PM

I guess I've purchased most of the multitools out there, and I always gravitate back to the Leathermans.

The workhorses in my collection are a couple of SuperTools. These are heavy enough to do real work, and they hold up well.

I also really like the second generation Waves. Again, heavy enough for real work but not outrageously large for constant carry. Like others, I have a folder for heavy cutting work and reserve the Wave blades for backup use.

I've also purchased a number of Gerbers, SOGs and SwissTools. Gave the Gerbers away, as well as the full-size SwissTool and all the SOGs except the PowerPliers.

I like my SwissTool Spirit, since it's skinny in a back pocket and contains a good tool selection; however, that mirror finish is just too darn slippery in practical use. Just wait until your hands get sweaty, oily or just plain wet, and then try to bear down on the pliers handles. I may scuff it up with coarse emery cloth one of these days.

I think the Blast has a perfect tool selection, and am testing one out right now. The only question mark is how well the Zytel spacers for the pliers will hold up. That remains to be seen. However, you can get two for the prices being listed here, and Leatherman's warranty is "no BS" -- I can attest to that. For what it's worth, I wouldn't hesitate to take one on a road trip or backpacking trip.
Posted by: samhain

Re: Multi-tools - 03/12/07 11:44 PM

I still carry my Leatherman Supertool as well.

I never leave home without it though I havn't flown in a few years so that may take some adapting (and tranquilizers).

I told my wife to bury me with it so that if I'm not really dead and they forget to embalm me, I at least have a chance of cutting/digging my way out.

She said she wasn't going to bury me with a perfectly good multitool.

Posted by: Stu

Re: Multi-tools - 03/13/07 12:15 AM

Replaced my wave with a couple of Swiss Tool Spirits.
Posted by: DrmstrSpoodle

Re: Multi-tools - 03/13/07 01:02 AM

My very first multi-tool was a Craftsman Multi-Tool, I forget what model, but it was stolen from me. It was bar none the BEST multi-tool I have ever had the pleasure of owning. I did everything with that tool. Sadly, it's no longer manufactured, and I really wish I could get another. I lament the loss of it to this day.

I've had my share of Leathermans and Gerbers, but the one I have now and will always carry will be my Victorinox Swisstool Spirit . It's just got a great ergonomic design, isn't too heavy, and has more than enough tools I need. My only gripes are that the pliers aren't needle-nosed, and that the blade does not have a tip (not so on the S-model, though). But it's easy to clean, maintain, and has plenty of attachments to utilize, both in urban and rural settings.

Personally, not to offend all the Leatherman and Gerber users out there, but I think that Leatherman multi-tools, with the exception of the Micra, Kick, and c300 model folding knives, are just too heavy for me. And I think Gerber multi-tools are just pretty much trash. I've owned two, and they are the last I will ever touch. I owned Auto-Recoil pliers, with the push-button opening, and they broke after a few months. I also had a Suspension multi-tool, and to this day I can't open one tool without dragging open three others. Just really, really, poor designs, IMHO. I do like Gerber's folding knives, though.
Posted by: wildman800

Re: Multi-tools - 03/13/07 01:03 AM

Your wife makes a valid point !! It's hard to argue with her logic.
Posted by: samhain

Re: Multi-tools - 03/13/07 01:21 AM

I don't even try.

She's the brains of this outfit.

I'm just a love-slave and mover of furniture.
Posted by: Rio

Re: Multi-tools - 03/13/07 01:49 AM

Originally Posted By: DrmstrSpoodle
...I've owned two (Gerbers), and they are the last I will ever touch. I owned Auto-Recoil pliers, with the push-button opening, and they broke after a few months. I also had a Suspension multi-tool, and to this day I can't open one tool without dragging open three others. Just really, really, poor designs, IMHO. I do like Gerber's folding knives, though.

I have never owned the recoil, so I cannot comment on it. However, I do own a suspension, and you get what you pay for. I bought mine for about $30, and for it's price I think it's a decent knife. It doesn't hold a candle to my old school Gerber, but I don't expect it to, being as how it costs less than half the price. I'm not trying to defend the suspension, just pointing out that I don't think it's fair to compare it to other tools which cost 2-4x as much.
Posted by: stealthedc

Re: Multi-tools - 03/13/07 02:09 AM

I EDC a LM Blast and LM Micra. Love them both. I too, got the Blast/C301 combo at Walmart clearance ($24.95) recently and have been using all three on a daily basis. Knife - well, you know. Micra - tweezers, mini screwdrivers. Blast - Pliers, wire cutter and screwdrivers. I too, do not use the blade of the Blast as I figure it is a ready to go sharp blade as a back up to my folder. And I like the fact that the tools on the Blast lock. Some of us cannot affort the high priced tools mentioned here, and while they may be superior (directly correlating to price and features) the Blast is indeed a workhorse that will take a beating.

Posted by: terry13111

Re: Multi-tools - 03/13/07 03:50 AM

I wear my LM new Wave everywhere I go. I really love this tool. But if I was to change anything, I would replace the tiny bit driver with a good awl, and make the scissors bigger. I modified the sheath and carry a small sewing kit and a flint and tinder along with it. I am currently looking for a sharpener to fit in there as well.
Posted by: MrBadger

Re: Multi-tools - 03/13/07 04:20 AM

I too use the LM Wave (old style) and it has served me well. If I don't think I'm going to need the capabilities of the pliers, I'll pack a LM Micra.

When the Wave finaly dies I'll likely get a Vic Swisstool Spirit while the LM goes back to the factory for repair. If I like the Vic, the fixed/replaced LM will go in the car kit.

I also really like the Leatherman Juice series. I find it's a happy medium between the capabilities of a multi tool and the smaller size of a Swiss Army Knife. I just bought a few Juice S2's on clearance at Target for $10 to give as gifts.
Posted by: jmarkantes

Re: Multi-tools - 03/13/07 04:27 AM

At the risk of sounding "Me Too!", damn that Gerber. I have the same one in the car somewhere, probably had it around for... heck I can't remember. Over 15 years probably. I pull it out every once in a while and think 'hey this was nice, I should put it back to use'. Then within a day or so when I use it, that sob pinches the hell out of my palm. Again. This happens while I'm using it and thinking "remember now, this thing can pinch the palm if you hold it wr-" Ow!

Back to the Leatherman Wave. That's usually floating around nearby, with a squirt p4 on the keychain. I dig it.

J
Posted by: aloha

Re: Multi-tools - 03/13/07 05:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Run2The9
After listening to Les Stroud tell us how he never goes anywhere without "a good multi-tool"; I decided I probably should pick one up. I got to looking at a few brands, mainley the Gerber and the Leatherman's. After narrowing it down to a few models, I decieded to go with the Leatherman "Blast". It seemed to be the best blend of features (that I would need) vs. weight. At 6.9 Oz, it has most of the stuff I think you would need, and is 2oz less than the "Wave", and 5oz less than the "Surge".
I have been wearing it on my off hip and I forget it's even there.

What Multi-tools are you guys wearing / using?
Here's a pic of the "Blast"

Looks like old Blast lost a bit of weight there.
Posted by: leemann

Re: Multi-tools - 03/13/07 05:08 AM

super tools have 2 of them and like them tons also the original Leatherman tool and a Gerber.

Lee
Posted by: Paul810

Re: Multi-tools - 03/13/07 06:30 AM

I have a Leatherman Charge Ti with the clip that I usually carry.

I also carry a Squirt P4 occasionally.

Finally, I bought a couple of those Blasts packages at Walmart when they were on clearance. So, I keep them in vehicles and around the house.

I've got a bunch of tools from all the major brands (L-man, V-Nox, Gerber, Sog, Spyderco, ect) and I've carried them all at one time or another, but Leatherman just seems to make the models with the best tool selection for me.
Posted by: norad45

Re: Multi-tools - 03/13/07 01:48 PM

I pocket carry a Leatherman KF4 Juice (now discontinued.) At 5.5 oz. it's about midway between the Wave and the Squirt.

Posted by: Themalemutekid

Re: Multi-tools - 03/13/07 02:03 PM

I carry a Gerber Recoil Auto-Plier i like it because it doesn't weigh much, & all the tools lock..it's never let me down.
Posted by: DrmstrSpoodle

Re: Multi-tools - 03/14/07 01:35 AM

Isn't that the model with the push-button pliers that pop out, and how long have you had it? The locking button broke on mine after about a few months of use, and then the side parts didn't lock anymore. THEN the bolt the tools are held on with slowly started to screw off. If I were you, I'd ditch the Auto-Recoil and get something else, at least a Leatherman...

Just trying to throw my experiences with a caveat out there...
Posted by: Stretch

Re: Multi-tools - 03/14/07 05:35 AM

I have an old Leatherman that is resigned to the BOB.

I'm reasonably happy with the SOG S62 that my wife got me for Christmas. It has the PowerLock pliers but I can;t say as I notice much difference between them and the Leatherman..... maybe a little....maybe not.
Posted by: Dougb

Re: Multi-tools - 03/14/07 02:37 PM

I have a Leatherman wave and crunch. I found the crunch to be really handy and it's usually my urban EDC, on the boat etc. Saltwater causes a bit of staining but no major problems so far.

The maul-grip feature is surprisingly useful and I find it can pretty much do what a normal pair of pliers can. The only blade is serrated which is fine for most of the use it normally gets, but I supplement it with a decent fixed blade if out cross country.

I love the wave, esp. the diamond coated file & one handed blade opening but find the crunch fits the bill more often. Also the U.K. is getting more & more painful about any EDC now, so the crunch is less "dangerous" looking and I'll probably mod it so the one blade doesn't lock to be 100% legal!
Posted by: m9key

Re: Multi-tools - 03/15/07 03:19 AM

i dropped my recoil and the spring broke(the pliers wouldn't stay down) darn sad seemed like it was a good tool