Does anyone use waistpacks a lot?

Posted by: SARbound

Does anyone use waistpacks a lot? - 02/26/07 10:00 PM

I'm looking to start a discussion on waistpacks. I just purchased this used Arc'teryx Q10. This is my first waist pack and got me thinking, what are people's opinions on waistpacks? Maybe it's just me, but they seem to be fading in popularity. I've looked around in stores and I couldn't seem to find a quality waistpack until this one...

Here are the specs :

High capacity lumbar pack that adjusts perfectly to the curve of your back. With high-efficiency compression belts that ensure content stability.

420 deniers Ripstorm nylon with 620 deniers reinforcement on stress points.
BiSect™ suspension
Hypalon™ bottle holster
Hypalon™ compression straps
WaterTight™ zippers, an Arctéryx exclusive
SquashPod™ hipbelt
Top grab handle
Zippered internal pocket
Thermoformed suspension
Two water bottle pockets
Volume : 630 cu in. 10 lt.

So my question in the end is, do you use a waistpack, and if so, why? What do use it for? (PSK, small BOB, FAK?)
Posted by: oldsoldier

Re: Does anyone use waistpacks a lot? - 02/26/07 10:17 PM

I just recently purchased a mountainsmith one, and, actually like it for the warmer weather. Although, I did pick up a pair of suspenders for them, as it annoys me when it slides down my butt. I keep a canteen in one side, a FAK in the other, a journal, small survival kit, AMK bivvy bag,rain jacket, and some snacks inside it. I'll carry a fleece on the outside bungees, if its cold enough. I can also stuff a pair of mittens & wool hat in mine. I like not having a sweaty back at the end of the day.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Does anyone use waistpacks a lot? - 02/26/07 10:42 PM

I don't really like them, and my wife, who hates them (mainly due to everyone carrying them in front as a wallet/purse thing), won't let me near one. I carried a GI butt back years ago, along with a lot of other stuff my Uncle loaned to me, and once had one that was made by a local company (MEI), but I didn't really like it either. Tried suspenders with it, but unless I attached the front straps way back toward the rear it tended to want to pull the front of the belt up too much. I much prefer a daypack...
Posted by: teacher

Re: Does anyone use waistpacks a lot? - 02/26/07 10:55 PM

I like my camelbak flashflo --- its a hydration butt pack with a little pocket for 'stuff.'
Posted by: Malpaso

Re: Does anyone use waistpacks a lot? - 02/26/07 11:14 PM

I use a Maxpedition Proteus extensively. I originally bought it on a whim as an adjunct to my Jumbo, but I recently sold my Jumbo because the Proteus fit my needs so much better.
Posted by: MrBadger

Re: Does anyone use waistpacks a lot? - 02/26/07 11:51 PM

I have an older Arc'teryx waist pack very similar to the one you have pictured. I like it very much. I also find that I can use it with a daypack and it takes the load off my shoulders like a waist belt, but gives me better range of motion.
Posted by: hercdoc

Re: Does anyone use waistpacks a lot? - 02/27/07 12:09 AM

I purchased a Mountainsmith Lumbar pack that holds (2)32oz Nalgene bottles. I think it's no longer manufactured. I found it a bit heavy and cumbersome with both bottles full and the pack loaded so I bought some suspenders to take up some of the weight. This works out well and is a lot more comfortable. I also have a Maxpedition Proteus that I like a lot better. It's smaller and if I'm out on the trail all day I use a CamelBak with it for hydration. It just depends what I doing as to which one I use.
Posted by: ducttape

Re: Does anyone use waistpacks a lot? - 02/27/07 12:31 AM

I picked up a couple of Kelty MG on closeout for $30 last year.

Features:

-Compact, stays in fanny pack configuration
-Can be carried via shoulder strap
-Can be converted to a backpack for more storage
-Red
-Handle for "grab and go"

Contents:

-AMK Adventurer, supplemented
-Clif Bars (buy something that you like)
-2 20oz water bottles
-Multi-tool
-LED light
-AMK PSP
-Lighter
-HeatSheet
-50' Paracord

Clipped via BlackDiamond Carabiner so it stays in the same place in the car, even after a rollover. laugh

Thanks to this forum for helping me get it assembled.

Also, this is considered my "ditch kit" so it has the minimum and can be clipped to my BOB.
Posted by: wildman800

Re: Does anyone use waistpacks a lot? - 02/27/07 12:34 AM

I totally agree w/OBG. I like the combat harness/butt pack but there has to be counter balance between the front and rear. I find it is comfortable for hunting (4 legged and 2 winged varmints) because of the weight of the ammo in front counterbalances the weight of the butt pack and canteens. Yes, I tend to carry a large amount of ammo which is needed for sufficient weight up front.

I have found that using a large messenger bag (Israeli Paratrooper, Swedish Army, etc) is much more comfortable to carry on a day hike. It accommodates the gear that I deem suitable for the circumstances.
Posted by: corpsman

Re: Does anyone use waistpacks a lot? - 02/27/07 01:04 AM

I use an Uphill Down and a Kelty Eagle regularly. Both with a shoulder strap, since my "waist" is larger than my hips...
Posted by: Misanthrope

Re: Does anyone use waistpacks a lot? - 02/27/07 02:14 AM

I've got a Mountain Smith that I love for the bush. I prefer a briefcase style bag for the city. A waistpack in the city screams tourist.

M
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Does anyone use waistpacks a lot? - 02/27/07 02:35 AM

Not bad, but I'd like something more secure on my waterbottles. Nothing is worse than realising that your nalgene is under the snow somewhere over the past mile. frown I used to use an LL Bean pack of about the same size with a pair of pouches added to the oustide to carry my water bottles and FAK, but like others here have concluded, it needs shoulder straps.

At the risk of being called nasty names, I think they probably work better for women due to the shape of thier waist-hip region. *ducking behind cover* Particularly as when guys get plump, we put it around the waist, which makes it even more likely to slide down without support from above. *digging in*

Instead, I've come to like a chest rig that can be worn as a lumbar pack if you wish. That way you can have it up front if you are using a ruck, or in the back if you are going light. I know I"ve been promising pictures, let me shake it out for a few more weeks.
Posted by: CANOEDOGS

Re: Does anyone use waistpacks a lot? - 02/27/07 04:36 AM

going back to Bee's question about "fading popularity"
i would say say like most good ideas the pack was taken
to far..the less than a backpack..more than a fanny pack
ended up being not enought of one and too much of the other..
it depends on your body shape and strength..the amount of gear
and so on but i would go with a back or fanny pack and stay
away from a halfway choice...having said that i will tell you
that one of my canoe buddys on long wilderness trips takes
a waistpack with a belt and shoulder straps for his "day bag"
it allows him to lift and carry a canoe without a backpack
that would get in the way when i heaves the canoe up on his
shoulders..
Posted by: big_al

Re: Does anyone use waistpacks a lot? - 02/27/07 05:15 AM

I use a Montiansmith "day" lumbar pack or fanny pack, it has 2 water pockets for 32oz. nalgens. I also use the supenders and I have mine packed with gear. I love it for day hiking, and my back pack stays in the truck for more equipment or longer stays. the back pack and the lumbar pack can both be used at the same time by moving the lumbar pack to the front.
Posted by: oldsoldier

Re: Does anyone use waistpacks a lot? - 02/27/07 10:52 AM

As far as water bottles go, I use a simle trick well used in the army; I tie a piece of 550 cord to the bottle. That way, if it falls out, it gets dragged, instead of lost.
Posted by: MedB

Re: Does anyone use waistpacks a lot? - 02/27/07 04:59 PM

Did someone say "Mountainsmith"? smile

Add me to the bandwagon. I am a huge fan of their stuff. It's tough as nails, fairly light, and doesn't have the commando-look that raises eyebrows.

I us a "Tour" lumbar pack with the shoulder straps. It's one step down from the larger "Day" model. Holds about 500 cubic inches and stays put nicely on my rather large frame. It's the perfect size for day hikes while still carrying plenty of gear to be safe.

Mountainsmith - Tour lumbar pack

Good hiking,
Posted by: Misanthrope

Re: Does anyone use waistpacks a lot? - 02/27/07 05:16 PM

I use the same bag, but never in the city. Don't want to be confused with the touristas.

M
Posted by: stealthedc

Re: Does anyone use waistpacks a lot? - 02/27/07 10:24 PM

I use a Mountainsmith Tour also. It claims to hold the 32 ounce bottles and does but not so securely.

That pack is what I call my personal kit and goes with me everywhere. At work, it resides in my truck. If going to the mall, football game, etc, it goes with me.

The pack supplements my edc and contains the following:

Fire:
Stormproof matches
Birthday candles
Cotton balls

Water:
2 12 oz dasani water bottles (fit securely with minimal bulk)
2 potable aqua chlorine tablets
Quart size ziplock bag

Food:
Bag of mixed nuts
Bag of dried cherries
P-38
HD aluminum foil

Shelter:
Tacoma Mtn Storm Shelter
Mylar space blanket
cheapie poncho
25 ft nylon rope
50 ft masonry rope
mini roll duct tape

First aid:
Visine
Sunscreen Wipe
Bugscreen wipe
3 Q-tips

Tools:
SAK - Camper
River rock .5 Watt LED (nice and small)
All leather gloves

Misc:
One 2-way radio
Flash drive with family stuff
Phone card
4 quarters
Monocular
A few diapers (for my kids!)
Butt wipes
2 MRE toilet papers
Trial size alcohol

There might be a couple other items but that is all I can remember. This kit is meant to be supplementary, sort of like the "concentric rings" that the writer for Outdoors Magazine talks about.

The nice thing about this bag is that the waist straps tuck in, so you can use it as a shoulder bag when using hte attachable padded shoulder strap. The shoulder strap can also be used in conjunction with the waist straps for great support and feel without having to buy the optional and dedicated suspenders.

I like the bag but in hindsight it was very expensive (70? for a fanny pack at REI, come on!) and I would probably now make do with something similar but less expensive (like one of the eddie bauers at target or even a wal-mart model).

I question its long-term durability.

Final analysis - Good Option.

Posted by: Polak187

Re: Does anyone use waistpacks a lot? - 02/27/07 10:27 PM

I have the same Arcteryx waist pack and I think is great but I can't seem to get it right on me. I love them for biking but for hiking I prefer a good old backpack. My biggest beef with waist packs is that I carry on my belt always a leatherman and a glove pouch. Them two when combained with waist pack belt make for very uncomfortable combo.

I want to use them more since a lot of times I have enough gear for waist pack and dont need so much space that backpack offers but I opt for the latter becaude of a more comfortable fit.
Posted by: Nicodemus

Re: Does anyone use waistpacks a lot? - 02/28/07 11:40 PM

I currently use a Maxpedition Devil Dog Versipack for my Small BOB. However, when I go hiking, it goes with me in one configuration or another. I get a few funny looks from some of the other hikers I pass along the trail, but that's no big deal.

I like the fact that I've been able to make my BOBs, both small and large, modular, but I'm thinking I might just switch out the Devil Dog for a small backpack. I'm still toying with configurations.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the Devil Dog, and the MOLLE attachment points are an added bonus. Because of this I had webbing sewed to a few other pouches such as the Katadyn pouch showed, which allows me to attach it under the Devil Dog and save space for other equipment in the bag's interior.

I'm having a small backpack modified so that I can attach it to the H-Harness above the Devil Dog, but the buttpack's handle may have to go. It takes up a lot of space and gets in the way. Even when I attach the Thermobak to the H-Harness the handle causes it to stick out farhter from my back than neccesary.

Here's a picture I took for a project. Please excuse all the extra equipment in there. Hopefully you can figure out what's what. And excuse the bad flash photography. laugh

Re: Does anyone use waistpacks a lot? - 03/01/07 01:05 PM

Looks good. How did you get the suspenders attached to the Devil Dog? Got pictures? I was looking at it for a while and was thinking of using it with an H-harness, but I could never see a good way to put it all together.

I don't know if I'd bother with a pack with this, just put a bed roll on top of it.

For some reason, I was expecting a Devil Dog to look bigger, but I have that reaction to a lot of Maxpedition- they must use skinny models. Or is the bag for your filter just tucked along the bottom edge?
Posted by: Nicodemus

Re: Does anyone use waistpacks a lot? - 03/01/07 08:59 PM

Thanks!

RE: Suspender Attachment
I believe the folks over at Maxpedition fully expected that people might want to use something similar to H-Harnesses with the Devil Dog because there are two D-Ring attachment points on the top of the pack that standard clips can easily use. (I say they probably thought of it, because the spacing is perfect, and I don't know for sure because the darn thing lacked instructions)

To attach the suspenders to the front of the belt I just replaced the two standard webbing straps and clips with two one-inch webbing straps with side release buckles that I picked up from REI. At first I meant this only as a temporary fix, but I actually ended up liking the way it worked. As an added bonus, the buckles keep the Devil Dog's belt strap from being crushed vertically. (Note: I moved the belt's restrictor clips off to the side while hanging it up in the tree, and forgot to replace them when I took the shot... Oops)

Yes, the Katadyn's pouch is attached to the webbing and was in front of part of the Devil Dog in the original photo so the pack looked smaller than it actually is. Here's a picture the filter hanging below the pack to give you a better idea of the size of the pack itself. The pack is in fact pretty large. It's amazing what I have crammed in there. The filter only appears as large as it does as I have a carbon cartridge packed with it, and because both are wrapped in layers of foam for protection.

As I mentioned before, I don't like the handle, except that it made it easy to hang in the pine when taking these pictures. Another thing I was disappointed in was how much space is lost internally when both bottle holders are full. You definitely want to pack with bottles in their place instead of trying to cram them in last. laugh

Re: Does anyone use waistpacks a lot? - 03/01/07 10:58 PM

Cool, thanks. The D-rings were origionally for a shoulder sling, but this configuration makes much, much more sense. I was mostly wondering how you'd done the front straps.

Are the MOLLE points on the belt still usable with the water bottles in place?

I had a feeling that the bottles would cost some space. frown That and it doesn't have a good way to be attached to a ruck are why I went in another direction.