Knives I own

Posted by: Themalemutekid

Knives I own - 02/23/07 12:39 AM

I'm just in a sharing kinda mood right now...lol

My Edc is an CQC-7B-BTS , it's a very sturdy & stout knife. It's been with me for quite awhile, & has never let me down.

The Gerber Freeman Hunter is my camp knife. It's a very well made knife. It came sharp right outta the box.

The SOGwinder is just a pretty knife..well in my eyes atleast. It opens and closes like a dream & it cuts like nobodys business!

The Gerber Recoil that I have, has a Wharncliffe blade unlike the on in the link. The only thing missing from this is a file..other than that, it's a great multi-tool.

Wish list:

Chris Reeve Green Beret Knife <---- Dream knife #1

GENE INGRAM CUSTOM <----- Dream knife #2

I'd love to hear about what you guys have & want in the way of knives too...it'd make me feel like less of knife freak...lol
Posted by: KenK

Re: Knives I own - 02/23/07 01:22 AM

My favorites, without a doubt:

Mini Rittergrip (RSK Mk1) - clipped in my pocket every day while at work. Takes a lot of abuse without blinking.

Fullsize Rittergrip (RSK Mk1) - clipped in my pocket when camping, hiking, or any time I'm "in the field". I wish I could carry this every day, but the mini just feels better when sitting most of the day.

Fixed Rittergrip (RSK Mk3) - rides in the daypack that goes with me everytime I go camping, hiking, or any time I'm "in the field". This is truely a beautiful knife!! By the way, I think most Mk1 users will be surprised how substantial the Mk3 feels in the hand. It is noticably bigger than the Mk1.

I'll often, but not always, throw my Leatherman Charge Ti into my daypack, mostly for the pliers. Lately I find I don't use it very often and it is hefty enough that I tend to leave it at home.

I wish Leatherman would make an "outdoor" version - one that focuses less on screwdrivers and more on tools such as a saw, scissors, tweezers, an awl, etc ... maybe even a large removable sewing needle.

Ken K.
Posted by: haertig

Re: Knives I own - 02/23/07 01:45 AM

My EDC is a Spyderco Native, which fits my hand perfectly. I love the thing. I also carry a CRTK PECK on my keychain. I don't really like it, I never use it, but it's there "just in case". I also have a mini survival pack (a mini-camera case actually) that contains several things, one of them being Buck Prince folder. Sometimes I drop this mini-kit in my jeans pocket, but usually not.

Prior to the Spyderco, I EDC'ed a Kershaw Vapor. About half the cost of the Spyderco, but not a bad EDC knife for the money.

Hiking throws in a Becker Necker and sometimes a Cold Steel SRK into my pack. Tucked away in my pack's seperate survival kit is a Cold Steel UltraLock folder. In the altoids tin PSK always in my pocket (while hiking) you'll find a few Exacto blades.
Posted by: Roarmeister

Re: Knives I own - 02/23/07 01:46 AM

EDC - Spyderco Salt 1 plain blade /w a spare Salt 1 that I thought I had lost.
Others:
Spyderco Pacific Salt plain blade
Spyderco Delica 2 combo blade
Benchmade Ares
Ritter MK3
Leatherman Wave 2 éw extra tips
Leatherman Micra
Leatherman Squirt -Pliers
Leatherman Squirt -Scissors
Gerber multi-tool
Mastercraft filleting blade
a decorative folder (unknown make - circa 1990)
Aspen folder - circa 1980
Forest Master folder - circa 1970
1.25 lb Hatchet
5 lb full size maul
sharpened by Spyderco Sharpmaker
(other: 2 small handheld ceramic sharpeners, tungsten carbide sharpener)

To get: a kurkuri
Posted by: Alan_Romania

Re: Knives I own - 02/23/07 02:17 AM

I won't list all of mine, but my favorites are easy!

1. Doug Ritter RSK Mk1 fullsized
2. Leatherman Wave (with bit Kit)
3. Doug Ritter RSK Mk3 Fixed Blade
*new addition to list*
4. BladeTech Responder
Posted by: yeti

Re: Knives I own - 02/23/07 03:09 AM

where are all the SAKs?
Posted by: Alan_Romania

Re: Knives I own - 02/23/07 04:36 AM

Both Vitorinox and Wenger makes some nice knives, I have more then a few of them. They just don't fit my needs anymore, my Leatherman Wave has taken their place and my RSK Mk1 is the best folding knife I have ever owned...
Posted by: gryps

Re: Knives I own - 02/23/07 04:42 AM

EDC to work: Swisstool Swiss Spirit

EDC outside of work: Swisstool RS or Leatherman Charge Ti

Griptilian
Dozier Folding Hunter
Coldsteel Masterhunter (added to car kit if I'm driving into the boonies in bad weather)
BKT Crewman
Benchmade RSK MK 3

Leatherman New Wave in car kit.

Wish list:

RSK MK 1
mini RSK MK 1
Boye Knife
Posted by: Stretch

Re: Knives I own - 02/23/07 08:40 AM

My EDCs:
- SOG S62 on the belt everyday
- BM Emerson 975S in the waistband everyday

Almost EDC:
- BM210TK around the neck

Almost usually sorta EDC:
- Ontario RAT-3 with TekLok on the belt

Camp Knives:
- BM Nimravus
- Frost Grizzly Skinner

In the door pocket of the truck:
- USBP folder with rescue hook

On the dresser:
- Spyderco Police
- Schrade Uncle Henry lockback

In the BOB:
- old Leatherman with tip broken off blade
- Victorinox SAK
- Buck 110
- Victorinox SAK in daughter's hyd day pack
- Victorinox SAK and Spyderco Endura in wife's BOB

Assorted cheapies ranging from "911 Never Forget" fb to "made in [DELETED] China" folders

WISH LIST:
- BRKT Mini-Skinner
- BM RSK Mk3
- BM mini-Skirmish
- Busse Combat Game Warden
- Buck Alpha Hunter
- Snody Carolina Hunter
- BM201
- TOPS Cochise
(Allright, allright, most of these will never arrive in my hand)
Posted by: redflare

Re: Knives I own - 02/23/07 10:46 AM

My EDC is Spyderco Jester inside my wallet.
Occasionally carry Delica
I just received a partially serrated Fixed Griptilian (RSK MK3 mother) and I love it! smile Fits my hand perfectly!
Posted by: sicily02

Re: Knives I own - 02/24/07 10:43 PM

Here are some of the knives I have not all but most.

Enjoy the picture,
Bryan

Re: Knives I own - 02/24/07 10:52 PM

The MK3 is one cutting knife. My wife has the mini Ritter with the yellow handle and she just loves it. I carry my MK3 on a nalgene water bottle carrier that I sewed on the thing. I posted a picture of it on the hiking list that JIM Posted. I might have to get a better pic of it though.

Re: Knives I own - 02/25/07 01:18 AM

Wow that's a S*** load of knives!!Are those lanyards made outta para-cord?
Posted by: Coastie09

Re: Knives I own - 02/25/07 03:35 AM

why the double and triple redundancy with identical knives? not being critical, just jealous smile
Posted by: nursetim

Re: Knives I own - 02/25/07 05:52 PM

Sicily02- I like your tastes in blades. I would love to have those.

Re: Knives I own - 02/25/07 07:13 PM

The rat-3s and the some of the 7" knives are for shoulder sling kits that I have made up. Also I like them.
Posted by: JCWohlschlag

sicily02's Knives - 02/25/07 09:08 PM

All I can say is that whoever tries to rob your house better have a gun.
Posted by: steven andrews

Re: Knives I own - 02/26/07 09:42 AM

I have lots of Benchmades, and I am especially fond of the Ritter and Cabela's Griptilians:

Also my Micarta Sebenza:

My fixed blade is a Joel C Bolden #1 Utility in a two height combination sheath made for me by Rapidboy of British Blades forums:
Posted by: gryps

Re: Knives I own - 02/27/07 12:09 PM

*misty-eyed* It's so beautiful...
Posted by: BrianTexas

Re: Knives I own - 02/27/07 04:09 PM

Good heavens, you've got a lot of knives! For some reason I keep recalling the scene from "Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome" where Max enters into Bartertown and has to remove all of his weapons at the checkpoint...
Posted by: Polak187

Re: Knives I own - 02/27/07 10:40 PM

I sold my Microtech and Strider knives and ronly have three blades in the house now and I really don't need anymore.

My fixed blade is old (14 years) SOG Gov't knife. Simple, plain edge blade that has been with me in many places.

My folder is Buck/Strider Tarani folder. I have it for two years and realized that because it is well made and not horribly expensive I can wear it in places were my "pure breed" Strider couldn't go. When I EDCed my Strider GB I always worried about loosing it. Not anymore. I sold it and that Buck knife is more than enough for my needs.

Last knife is my custom graphic Sebenza. It is more of my fancy, going out nicely dressed knife. It sees use when my suit or tux come out of the darkness.

As far as the wish list goes:

I would hope to replace my SOG with Chris Reeve aviator knife.

Re: Knives I own - 02/27/07 11:36 PM

Well I have a few of them to eek
Take care,
Bryan
Posted by: KevinB

Re: Knives I own - 02/28/07 02:57 AM

I always carry one of these:

Spyderco Native
Spyderco Delica
Benchmade Mini Grip
Kershaw Scallion

I have the serrated and plain versions of each, depending on where I am and what I'm doing.

I also always carry one of these:
SAK Recruit with homemade African bloodwood scales
SAK alox Soldier
SAK alox Cadet
SAK alox Bantam
SAK Small Tinker

SAK Classic SD
SAK Rambler

Leatherman Fuse
Leatherman Juice S2
Leatherman Squirt P4

I have a bunch of knives and multitools, but these are my current favorites.

Kevin B.
Posted by: terry13111

Re: Knives I own - 02/28/07 03:58 PM

Here is some of mine:

And my fire kit:

Posted by: samhain

Re: Knives I own - 03/01/07 02:20 AM

The one with the most toys wins.

Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Knives I own - 10/10/07 08:37 PM

Some of these knives have been retired or relegated to 'backup kits' which I put together for myself to stash for a rainy day. Usually that means I've retired it from daily use but I'm too attached to it to stop using it completely. Some of these are also very cheap. I've had some of them for quite a while...since times when I was lucky to be able to afford anything. I take good care of them and it shows as most of them are as good as when they were new.

Where I work a knife is a weapon and not permitted so I need to get creative/sneaky. My EDC when I'm at work is:
  • Benchmade ERT-1 It's arguably not a knife so I keep it clipped in a pocket. The built in LED light is handy too.
  • Gerber EAB folder (when it's not being recalled). Box cutters are an exception to the rule and it makes a handy money clip.

EDC when I'm NOT at work I carry one or more of these (including at least the EAB from the above list):
  • Kershaw 1630 Cyclone Clipped in a pocket. My usual EDC now.
  • CRKT M16 tanto tip When space and weight are at a premium.
  • Gerber EZ-Out non-serrated My former EDC. I never really liked it because it's a one hand opening knife that I could never open with one hand. I bought it because it was so light...but because of that it's very flimsy.
  • Gerber LST The M16 has replaced it as it's just all around better.
  • Victorinox Cybertool It's never far from me even when not on my belt.
  • Gerber Needlenose Multipliers Sometimes takes the place of the Cybertool.

When camping/hiking/fishing/etc I'll usually have at least a couple of the above around plus one of the following fixed blades on my belt:
  • Gerber Freeman S30V Hunter drop point (new and untested).
  • Gerber LMF II (new and untested).
  • Buck 119 Special
  • Gerber Big Rock Camp knife w/serrations.
  • Mora beltknife (it's an oldie. Not sure the model)

My Wishlist is pretty simple:
  • Grohmann #1
  • Grohmann #4 - Being a Canadian I consider it a must to own at least one of these one day.
  • Tom Brown's Tracker - I'd have one already if they weren't so pricey.
Posted by: Schwert

Re: Knives I own - 10/10/07 11:00 PM

Gene Ingram is a good guy to have on your wish list. His work is really superb and his prices are very very good.

Here are a couple of mine....

Small pocket wharncliffe with aged elk...

and a very recent slipjoint, his large Sodbuster

Posted by: Paul810

Re: Knives I own - 10/11/07 06:41 AM

Geez, I don't even know how many knives I have anymore. Last count was over 200 and that was a while ago. I've been collecting them pretty steadily for about 12 years.

Here's a picture of the display case back at my parents house:

Another of some boxes I have laying around:

Unfortunately most of my knives are back at my parents house, I can't have too many in my apartment or my roommate might think I'm crazy. (Though I'm pretty sure he already does.) whistle
Posted by: JIM

Re: Knives I own - 10/11/07 01:35 PM

Quote:
Geez, I don't even know how many knives I have anymore. Last count was over 200 and that was a while ago. I've been collecting them pretty steadily for about 12 years.

I just have to ask...wich one of the 200 do you EDC? whistle

Re: Knives I own - 10/11/07 10:38 PM

Originally Posted By: JIM
Quote:

I just have to ask...wich one of the 200 do you EDC? whistle

Believe it or not, I've kept pretty constant over the years with a Benchmade 705/707. I've carried many different knives, but that's the one I always seem to come back to. For me the size is perfect (big enough to handle most tasks, but not too big to scare people), it fits my hand well, and it's built like a tank.

Other than that one there are a few other favorites I often reach for:

Leatherman Charge Ti (my favorite multi-tool)
Benchmade 310 Benchmite (my favorite dress knife)
Spyderco Native (work knife/beater)
Benchmade 610 Rukus (when I do want to scare people whistle)

You can tell I'm a bit of a Benchmade fan, I think they make awesome knives for the price and after using my 705 for years I know they can take a beating. I also love William Henry knives, but I still can't bring myself to beating up a $400+ knife. Not yet anyway, though I think a Monarch will end up as my dress knife. I absolutely love how they look and feel.

I'm also a bit of a traditionalist, often carrying Queen/Schrade/Buck/Camillus/Case knives or Swiss Army knives. Those I carry for the nostalgia of it, since those were my first knives and they were what my father, grandfather, great grandfather, ect used and carried. Out of those I love Queen's D2 Cocobolo series and Victorinox's Alox handled models (Soldier, Farmer, ect).

Hope that answered your question, I seem to change knives like shirts, but I do have a few constant favorites. I also have a few favorite custom knives, but I don't like carrying what I can't replace. Therefore, some knives I collect as users, others I collect more as art (so I don't use them). The "art" ones I can't really comment on since I don't have any hard-use based experience with them. However, many feel so well built it's hard to imagine they can't take a beating equal too or worse than any similar production knife.

Re: Knives I own - 10/12/07 02:41 AM

Here's my latest acquisition: BRKT Northstar

Re: Knives I own - 10/12/07 10:46 PM

Thats one sweet looking blade, Stretch

Re: Knives I own - 10/13/07 12:25 AM

Thanks Themalemutekid. It was supposed to be a birthday present but my wife broke down and gave it to me for our Anniversary. The scales are bamboo....they don't look quite as clean now.
Posted by: redflare

Re: Knives I own - 10/17/07 05:15 AM

I own Spyderco Delica 4 with FRN handles that I go camping with

... and a Ladybug 3 with FRN handles that rides in my valet.

Love them both! grin

Re: Knives I own - 10/17/07 09:42 PM

I've added a couple of knives since I first posted.

The first one is a Beretta that was given to me by my brother. It's has a Seki Japan stamp on one side and the Beretta Logo on the
other side. It is very sharp.It came in handy (tasting the different varieties of apples) last weekend when I took my niece & nephew pumpkin & apple picking.

The second one I bought for myself for ten bucks at a yard sale. It's a Buck Special Model 119. It's like new, just a few minor scratches. I plan on using it for camping.

Posted by: Doug_Ritter

Re: Knives I own - 10/29/07 02:14 PM

Originally Posted By: redflare
a partially serrated Fixed Griptilian (RSK MK3 mother) and I love it! smile Fits my hand perfectly!

Just to be clear. The Benchmade Fixed Grip is not the "mother" of the RSK Mk3.

Re: Knives I own - 10/30/07 03:02 AM

Originally Posted By: Doug_Ritter
Originally Posted By: redflare
a partially serrated Fixed Griptilian (RSK MK3 mother) and I love it! smile Fits my hand perfectly!

Maybe not, but I bet the Mk3 would slice up a RAT-3 if the RAT started trashing a BM Fixed Grip and saying things like "Yo Mama!" !!!!!

((( laugh )))

Re: Knives I own - 10/30/07 07:56 PM

Kewl stuff mate. Here's mine:

Fixed blade is SOG Gov't - I have it since '94 and has been with me everywhere that invloves camping/kayaking.

Three folders on the left:
CRKT SRT folder - new for me and fell in love with it. Very comfortable and sharp.

Spyderco Yellow Salt - my EDC... High vis knife that looks like a toy but packs a mean power.

Buck/Strider combo - my work EDC... just a tank of the blade good for cutting everything althou not used on bloody jobs. Also used when my SOG will not fit (hiking/climbing)

Two work knives on the right:
Spyderco Assist - attached to my turn out gear or clipped to the vest. Great rescue blade. When I'm geared up for rescue/tactical stuff I may not have access to my duty belt.

Gerber Hinderer - on my duty belt together with multitool (gerber diesel).

Not shown:
Benchmade Rescue hook, SAK (one of the one-hand openers sits in my car), dive knife (attached to my BCU) and custom Sebenza (custom WTC 9/11 graphics my night out tuxedo knife).

Dream blades? Quite a few but I'm sure it is more of the curiosity than need. Expensive blades like Strider are excelent tools but not too smart/economical in the system where loss of one is equal to one week pay. I owned a strider gb and stoped carrying one for the above reason. But I would like to "replace" my SOG with CR Aviator and play with OTF Microtechs (one I order got stolen/lost in the mail) and have few smaller Striders. As of now I'm happy with all I got.

Next on my list of purchase?
Spyderco Byrdrench.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Knives I own - 10/30/07 09:34 PM

How do you like the Hinderer? I considered buying one but couldn't find anything local that wasn't crazy overpriced. I ended up going with a Benchmade ERT-1 as a compromise.

In retrospect I like the ERT-1 because I can pocket it at work and security doesn't consider it at weapon...it makes a handy backup flashlight too.
Posted by: massacre

Re: Knives I own - 10/30/07 10:48 PM

I hope everyone posting their brilliant knife collections is already a member of Knife Rights. smile

Man, and I thought I had the bug bad...

It would take me a while to put everything into one place for a pic, but I'll try - I have them tucked away in very useful places, but I'm moving soon, so it would be best to take stock again anyway.
Posted by: KenK

Re: Knives I own - 10/31/07 02:19 AM

Originally Posted By: Doug_Ritter

Doug,

Can you clarify what you mean by that?

I always assumed that the RSK Mk3 was a least a cousin of the BM Fixed Blade Griptilian.

Clearly the blade steel and shape are pure RSK MkX, the handle material is unique (and far superior), and the sheath is nicer ...

But it seems that they have the handle shape in common, and, of course they're both made by Benchmade.

Maybe distant cousins?

Thanks,

Ken K.
Posted by: Doug_Ritter

Re: Knives I own - 10/31/07 12:54 PM

"Mother" would imply that the RSK Mk3 was derived from the Fixed Grip, which would imply that it came first. That is not really the case. While Benchmade had long considered making a fixed blade based on their successful Griptilian folder, my desire to make a fixed blade version of the RSK Mk1 and the sketch I provided http://www.equipped.org/pp/pic3007.htm served as a catalyst. The original thought was that, like the RSK Mk1 collaboration, that by them producing their "mass-produced" version and me being able to simply offer a different blade style, steel and finish using the same handle, the project would be more practical from a production standpoint and the cost lower overall. However, the more we worked on refining things and they got the detailed handle design and materials to where they wanted it for their marketing and pricing purposes, it no longer was satisfactory from my perspective. So, in the end we produced an entirely separate knife for the RSK Mk3. So, a better familial description would be that they are "siblings" with a common parentage.

Re: Knives I own - 11/01/07 11:34 PM

Hinderer is ok. Don't like it as much as my Spydie. I think that spyderco cuts better and is lighter. That seat belt cutter is hard to open and oxygen wrench I havent used yet since I prefer to use my multitool.

I like Benchmade rescue hooks and a lot of times I would work with it since there is nothing better for cutting long lengths. Problem I have with it is that it gets stuck on fabric folds or thick seams. Plus it is hard to begin a cut. Very often I ask my part to make initial cut with shears or a knife while I cut the rest. I found it to be very efficient way of doing stuff.

Posted by: KG2V

Re: Knives I own - 11/02/07 01:42 AM

Originally Posted By: Themalemutekid
Wow that's a S*** load of knives!!Are those lanyards made outta para-cord?

I don't have any as LARGE as his large knives (I really SHOULD get 1-2), but that is NOT a lot of knives.

I'm a pocket knife NUT - I find it VERY hard to find the perfect pocket knife, and trust me, I looked for YEARS, I guess I have 30-40 knives - EVERY one had one problem or another, for certain situations!

Right now, I've "settled" for 2 knives for EDC. The closest to "perfect" knife I own is my custom Jeff Hall Gent's knife. The problem is exactly that - it's a Gent's knife. When I was wearing a suit to work every day, or when I dress up - it WAS perfect, but I would not want to use it as a heavy duty knife

The other? Once they decided to put a good blade on the Leatherman, I bought a TTi to try it. I no longer carry a pocket knife day to day - the TTi works. Immediately before that I carried an s30V leek, and before that, a DC Munroe Chimera (ONLY problem with THAT knife is I don't like the recurve on the blade, as I think stick sharpeners are OK for touch up, but flat stones are for sharpening - and you can't flat stone a recurve)
Posted by: James_Van_Artsdalen

Re: Knives I own - 11/04/07 06:51 PM

Unless I know I'm going to have to deal with PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER. I carry a Spyderco Native III FRN (C78BK). Excellent VG-10 blade steel.

For PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER. occasions I use a Fällkniven TK3 as a dress knife. Plain edge only but an even better blade steel.

There is a Spyderco Assist I FRN (C79BK) in the center console of my car. VG-10 blade steel again. This one has never been used but you never know...

Many other knives for various uses but these three are always there.

Re: Knives I own - 11/05/07 09:23 AM

These are the folders I'm using and abusing right now. Price ranges from $10 (Mini-Blackhorn) to $250 (Rukus).

From the top down in the center:

Benchmade Rukus
Benchmade Mini-Rukus
Benchmade 707
Benchmade 705-401
Benchmade 530
Case Mini-Blackhorn
Benchmade 310
Benchmade 10610
Spyderco Atlantic Salt
Spyderco Native S30V

On the left (top down):

Leatherman Charge Ti
Leatherman Squirt P4

On the right (left to right):
Buck Medium Trapper
Victorinox Soldier
Victorinox Bantam Alox

Generally, each one fits into a certain category based on the situation (with some overlap):

Daily Carry: Benchmade 707 or Leatherman Charge
Camping: Either Rukus, V-nox Soldier, Leatherman Charge Ti
Boating/Diving: Spyderco Atlantic Salt (or sometimes Benchmade 530)
Dress carry: Benchmade 310 or Benchmade 705-401 or V-nox Bantam Alox
Work: Spyderco Native
City Travel: Leatherman Squirt P4, or Benchmade 10610, or V-nox Bantam Alox, or Buck Med. Trapper, or Case Mini-BH

This list isn't set in stone, I switch them in and out often. Basically, this is what I have in my apartment currently.
Posted by: massacre

Re: Knives I own - 11/15/07 03:01 AM

Okay, I finally got to it... I EDC the TTI, the Point Guard and the Micra. I swap the e306x for EDC now and then. This Pic is missing a several duplicates to save on space and several small pen knives I have scattered here and there and didn't want to locate:

1st Column (bottom to top):
Leatherman TTI
Leatherman New Wave
Leatherman Kick
Leatherman e306x

2nd Column (bottom to top):
Gerber Gator Serrater
Gerber Pro Scout 600 Needlenose
Benchmade

3rd Column (bottom to top):
CRKT Point Guard 6752
Becker Necker