What is your shelter set-up?

Posted by: JIM

What is your shelter set-up? - 02/20/07 06:52 PM

I'm trying to find imput on what sheltering-items I should include in a hiking-kit.
Currently I use a Coghlan's heavy-duty space blanket as the 'roof' and a poncho as a groundsheet, while sleeping in a Coghlan's orange survival-bag (soon to be replaced by a heatsheet-bivvy).

I've also been thinking about using a small hammock.

So, what's your shelter set-up??
Posted by: ponder

Re: What is your shelter set-up? - 02/20/07 07:21 PM

US Military bivvy bag.
Posted by: dchinell

Re: What is your shelter set-up? - 02/20/07 07:40 PM

I use a silnylon tarp, a hammock, and closed-cell foam pads. You'd think the hammock would reduce the need for gear, but what it might save (groundsheet) is offset by the needs it introduces (foam pads for keeping your backside warm).

So the weight comes out about the same as for a tent. But I still like the novelty and flexibility hammocks afford. Also, for an older fellow like myself, it gets you up off the ground, providing as it does a chair-height shelf as well as a chair and bed.

I'm talking about a Mosquito Hammock, i.e. one with a built-in mosquito net. Otherwise, you'd have to think about carrying netting in addition to an open hammock.

http://www.mosquitohammock.com/

It's my goal to include a less expensive polyester tarp (at least 8 x 10 ft.), precut paracord tie-downs, aluminum pegs, a bivy sack, and a closed-cell pad in all my vehicle kits. That's my notion of adequate shelter for my environs (Florida).

Bear

Posted by: ironraven

Re: What is your shelter set-up? - 02/20/07 08:02 PM

Hammocks are good, particularly in the rain or if you have lots of ants around. But they aren't really suited to cooler weather.

My shelter set up depends on what I'm carrying, but in warmer weather I either do a hammock under a tarp, or a brush wickup. In cool weather, I add more insulation. In cold weather (sorry, Jim, from what you've said about your climate, I'd pretty much stick to warm and cool weather configurations) snow trenches and caves, and variations there of.
Posted by: wildman800

Re: What is your shelter set-up? - 02/20/07 08:22 PM

Being in South Lousy-anna (where the mosquitoes run rampant & large), I use a tent, foam pad, lt sleeping bag (used as additional cushioning in spring, summer, & fall), cover w/a falsa blanket, pillow, and mosquito repellant.
My BOB has a Army poncho, 55gal polypropylene bag, pillow, falsa blanket, & mosquito repellant. I am quite proficient in constructing brush shelters (lean to's, Apache Wickiups, etc) & rely on those skills primarily when the need arises. I stay in practice by teaching my nephews those skills when we are on camping trips.
Posted by: Alan_Romania

Re: What is your shelter set-up? - 02/20/07 11:31 PM

I have various setups for shelter in my different kits. From very light to comprehensive.

My PSK has a AMK Heatsheet and some type-I paracord for shelter, for the winter (in central AZ) I add a 60 gallon clear plastic bag.

In my hiking and SAR kit I have two 60 gallon trash bags, two AMK Heatsheets and a Heatsheet Bivy.

For winter and backpacking trips my kit includes a Mountain Hardwear bivy sack and an Oware silicone nylon tarp. I usually travel with treking poles, which make great tent poles. Even when not expecting to spend the night, I always add a foam pad and a heavy duty space blanket to my kit for winter trips where snow is a possibility. It isn't the lightest setup but it works very well.

Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: What is your shelter set-up? - 02/21/07 02:36 AM

Being a fan of bugging in as opposed to out, we don't have a BOB per se. What we do worry about is being stranded on the road, or while on a walk/hike. So in our vehicle we have a 7x7 three season dome tent, mating mummy bags (20 and zero degree), camprest self inflating pads (the thick ones, as we get older we like our creature comforts). In my day pack, carried on all foot trips out of sight of the vehicle, is a 10x10 nylon tarp with a jillion tie tapes, precut paracord, and aluminum gutter nails for stakes. Also a Thermo-lite Emergency Bivy Sack (the two person size). In anything near rain season lightweight rain gear for both of us, the rest of the year at least two 30 gal trash bags. I used to have some nice heavyweight orange ones, but they got too old, so now they are the less than desirable black ones...
Posted by: tfisher

Re: What is your shelter set-up? - 02/21/07 02:57 AM

That depends on my trip, my short hike setup would be a silnylon tarp, a couple oversized plastic bags and "TYVEK" ground sheet. Would this be suitable for cold winter "NO" I would have to find some insulation layer between me and the ground like leaves etc. If I am unsure of leaves in the area, I have a self-inflating pad full length that packs down pretty small.

On longer trips, I bring a larger tarp and fashion it into a "Wedge" shape structure or a backpackers tent.
Posted by: Farmer

Re: What is your shelter set-up? - 02/21/07 03:14 AM

A North Face 2-man tent with a ground cloth rides in the car trunk. It's a bit heavy to carry around.

Also have a heavy green tarp in the trunk.

For carry, I have an 8X10 SilTarp and I always have one or two "space blankets" on me somewhere.
Posted by: Stu

Re: What is your shelter set-up? - 02/21/07 06:38 PM

My small kit has a 10x10 silnylon tarp, a 6x8 silnylon tarp, a Thermo-Lite 2.0 Bivouac Sac, for cold weather I add a 2 pound over-bag. This type of shelter setup served me well on SAR missions, and I was comfortable on a number of unplanned overnights.
My large kit has a 2 man tent, 0 degreeF sleeping bag, and thermarest pad.
Posted by: benjammin

Re: What is your shelter set-up? - 02/22/07 01:24 AM

Well, it depends on whether you are dayhiking and only considering a shelter in the event of an emergency, or if you are planning to overnight it.

Because of my size and the fact that I usually have at least one person with me anymore, I take a three man 3 season tent along on overnight excursions. There are a whole lot of these out on the market, so I recommend research for picking out what suits you. I don't backpack much in winter, though elk season can get pretty rough. If I plan to use my tent for a satellite camp, then I will throw in a 10' x 10' tarp and look for a place to rig a secure cover to avoid overloading the tent frame if it snow loads. I tend to look for relatively inexpensive and lighter models.

For day hikes or as a backup for overnighters, I will pack the bivvy bag along, and/or a couple tarps. Occasionally I will forego even these and just keep the plastic garbage bags I always hike with. It depends on how arduous the hike and what the ambient conditions are.
Posted by: Virginia_Mark

Re: What is your shelter set-up? - 02/22/07 05:51 PM

This is what I use. The GoLite lair 2. The weight with stakes included in just over 1lb.

Posted by: oldsoldier

Re: What is your shelter set-up? - 02/22/07 09:58 PM

I use a military poncho. Works well. I am going to try using a hammock this year, so, the poncho may be a bit redundent. But, for a simple, quick setup, nothing beats the good ole poncho! I've perfected setting it up, & get get it down in about a minute. not too bad...I am passing this knowledge on to my nephew tomorrow.
Posted by: steven andrews

Re: What is your shelter set-up? - 02/26/07 09:37 AM

A Hilleberg Tarp 10 XP Sil-Polyester or Integral Designs sil-nylon tarp, a cheap waterproof groundsheet and a Thermarest mat.
Posted by: sicily02

Re: What is your shelter set-up? - 02/26/07 04:24 PM

How many pounds do you carry for a day hike SBRaider?
Thanks,
Bryan
Posted by: VeracityGear

Re: What is your shelter set-up? - 03/15/07 05:46 PM

Mountain Hardwear PCT 2 Tent Or Coghlan's Tube tent
Posted by: SARbound

Re: What is your shelter set-up? - 03/15/07 09:09 PM

I carry an AMK Heatsheet. Sufficient for a night or two. Folded, it's slightly longer and heavier than a cheap survival blanket. I recently added a large waistpack to my bag arsenal so i'm not willing to carry anything bigger (bivvy) because of this. I move the Heatsheet from bag to bag depending on the activity.

I have everything I need to start a lot of fires as well.
Posted by: MDinana

Re: What is your shelter set-up- Better bag? - 03/15/07 10:41 PM

So I read all of these, and I'm wondering if anyone can explain the differences between:
Thermo-Lite 2.0 Bivouac Sac
Thermo-Lite Single Bivy Sack
Heatsheets Emergency Bivvy

They're all made by AMK, but range from $14 to $32. I can't see a big difference in the descriptions of them, so any help is appreciated!
Posted by: frenchy

Re: What is your shelter set-up? - 03/15/07 11:41 PM

Heatsheet bivvys are not much bigger than Heatsheet blankets, if they are at all...
Posted by: frenchy

Re: What is your shelter set-up- Better bag? - 03/15/07 11:43 PM

in answer to my enquiry, I got this mail from Aeromedix :

"The dimension on the Thermo-Lite Bivvy Sack when stored are approx. 6"x3.5"

The difference between the Thermo Lite Bivvy and Heatsheet Bivvy is mainly the material. The Thermo Lite Bivvy is a much more heavy duty item for more serious conditions."