Great Upgrade!

Posted by: Lasd02

Great Upgrade! - 02/20/07 07:41 AM

Not that the old look was bad but WOW! Love the upgrade. Thanks to Doug & Company for all the hard work that goes into keeping this excellent forum up and running!

Posted by: Nicodemus

Re: Great Upgrade! - 02/20/07 07:48 AM

Yup, it looks good.

Thanks!
Posted by: MartinFocazio

Re: Great Upgrade! - 02/20/07 10:29 AM

I'm going to chime in here with a big THANK YOU to the folks who made this upgade possible. You have made a big contribution to this community.
Posted by: redflare

Re: Great Upgrade! - 02/20/07 10:34 AM

Super happy with upgrade! laugh
Interface is great and looks like there finally will be thread reply notifications!!! I am delighted smile

Big thanks to HTMLSpinnr and all the folks involved!
Posted by: Doug_Ritter

Re: Great Upgrade! - 02/20/07 12:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Lasd02

Not that the old look was bad but WOW! Love the upgrade. Thanks to Doug & Company for all the hard work that goes into keeping this excellent forum up and running!

Most all the thanks are due to Rick (HTMLSpinnr) who deserves a huge thank you and round of applause from everyone.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Great Upgrade! - 02/20/07 02:35 PM

You're welcome all. Enjoy!
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Great Upgrade! - 02/20/07 03:24 PM

It does look different. Take me a while to figure out the new thingies, the older I get the slower I learn...
Posted by: Stretch

Re: Great Upgrade! - 02/20/07 04:22 PM

I like this new look alot and one thing that's very nice is it doesn't seem to bog down my computer. I mean, there are more graphics but it must be more memory efficient.

I just logged on a little while ago and have only been using it for a few minutes, so my opinion may change a little later. But right now I like it! Good job!.
Posted by: leemann

Re: Great Upgrade! - 02/20/07 04:49 PM

WOW nice and thanks tons!

Lee
KC3L
Posted by: cedfire

Re: Great Upgrade! - 02/20/07 05:29 PM

Wow! Looks great! smile

Thank you Rick, Martin, and Doug!!
Posted by: JCWohlschlag

Re: Great Upgrade! - 02/20/07 06:20 PM

Yes, this upgrade is fantastic! I could actually upload my avatar now! LOL

Thanks Rick and everyone for making a big improvement in the forum!
Posted by: wildman800

Re: Great Upgrade! - 02/20/07 08:07 PM

This is truly fantastic! Thanks.
Posted by: Themalemutekid

Re: Great Upgrade! - 02/20/07 08:49 PM

This is a good upgrade..but it doesn't seem to allow for changes in background colors and fonts..i'd perfer a darker background.

Re: Great Upgrade! - 02/20/07 09:00 PM

I'm sure with time, some theme additions or changes will come to help with the color scheme for those who enjoy additional contrast. Right know things are somewhat "stock" out of the box as the software came.

And just for clarification, I'm not the same "Rick" that wrote UBB Threads - just the one that installed it on this server grin
Posted by: MajorMarv

Re: Great Upgrade! - 02/20/07 10:12 PM

Great job ! Thanks
Posted by: Frankie

Re: Great Upgrade! - 02/20/07 11:36 PM

I like the new look. There's only one thing that I think is missing. I prefer when the visited links have another color so I could know where I've been. I think it's easy to modify in the style sheets.

François
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Great Upgrade! - 02/21/07 12:50 AM

I just noticed that myself. It is a downside, as is the color scheme.

On the upside, MAJOR upside, is the active topics option. It might be nice if we has a 12 hour option in there, to, but that's only becuase some of us have no lives. :P

Re: Great Upgrade! - 02/21/07 01:04 AM

I just tried to reply to a post and got this message:

The host from which you are accessing the board is not recognized as a valid host. This is more than likely related to a firewall issue that is blocking the referer variable. Check your firewall settings and try again

Everything worked well this morning, and nothing changed on my computer, I wonder if it will go this time???

Re: Great Upgrade! - 02/21/07 01:06 AM

And now it works. I am soooo confused. Good thing I'm used to it...
Posted by: redflare

Re: Great Upgrade! - 02/21/07 01:01 PM

I am wondering about thread response notifications. I thought I enabled them, but I am not receiving any.
Posted by: jshannon

Re: Great Upgrade! - 02/21/07 06:13 PM

Seems to me the fire thingies need to be based on replies and not views. There are tons of fires and even one for zero replies...lol.
Posted by: JCWohlschlag

Re: Great Upgrade! - 02/21/07 08:18 PM

Originally Posted By: jshannon
Seems to me the fire thingies need to be based on replies and not views. There are tons of fires and even one for zero replies...lol.

If you hold your mouse over the fire icon, a pop-up explanation will tell you that it designates a "Topic with over 25 replies or 150 views."
Posted by: Lasd02

Re: Great Upgrade! - 02/22/07 12:31 AM

Well I still like the upgrade but the little campfires are a bit distracting. I did a quick count and out of 250 posts (the first 10 pages), all but 12 of them have fires! It reminds me of the recent "self esteem" concept creeping into youth sports and elementary school, to spare the feelings of the less than stellar, everybody gets a trophy, medal or A+ just for participating. And besides, all those fires can't be helping the whole global warming thing. :}
Posted by: Themalemutekid

Re: Great Upgrade! - 02/22/07 01:24 AM

Yeah those little fires are annoying...
Posted by: Eugene

Re: Great Upgrade! - 02/22/07 01:00 PM

I'm seeing two minor issues.
First is to get a list of the new posts from the last 24 hours or 48 hours I have to log in twice, then view the forum list and then finally I get to see the posts in the last 24 hours. Could this search be added to the default view?
Senond is when looking for those new posts and clicking on a link takes me to the first post in the thread rather than the new post in the thread so I have to scroll down through the list to find the new one.

Re: Great Upgrade! - 02/22/07 04:24 PM

I'm exploring a newly release of UBBThreads (v7.1) that may address some of the sort requests, I'll know more after I stage the new version.

Re: Great Upgrade! - 02/22/07 05:53 PM

New version apparently fixes the missing emails, and I believe addresses some of the concerns about sorting and new post counts, however the latter may have to be disabled if the performance penalty becomes too great.

Re: Great Upgrade! - 02/22/07 08:46 PM

Sorts to the creation time of the oldest unread post in a thread, not to the 0th post of the thread. Any ideas as to settings for that? As I said earlier, it's an annoyance for context reasons.

Re: Great Upgrade! - 02/22/07 09:21 PM

Originally Posted By: ironraven
Sorts to the creation time of the oldest unread post in a thread, not to the 0th post of the thread. Any ideas as to settings for that? As I said earlier, it's an annoyance for context reasons.

I guess I don't quite understand your definition of 0th post. There's "Thread Start Time" in my sort options as well as ascending and descending. Wouldn't a combination of that address what you want?

Re: Great Upgrade! - 02/23/07 12:57 AM

Sorry, 0th, as in initial or first observed condition, where it all began, if you will. It's a convention I got used to using in college, it has to do with any kind of programming, most databases, various hardware states, design evolutions, that kind of thing. Didn't mean to confuse you, I figured that someone in the industry would be familiar with it.

And where is the "thread start time", much less the sort options? I'm asking because maybe I need to have my perscription updated or something, because when I look in my preferences, I see this:

There is nothing but radio buttons and some text fields under that, nothing that looks like you can select from a menu of options. I've looked everywhere in "My Messages", "My Profile", "My Preferences", "My Watch Lists", and even "My Posts". I've also read the FAQ, not only here but on a couple other forums that came up when I searched for users of ubbthread 7.X. I can't find a thing about sort options or "thread start time" other than what I describe next.

The closest I can find is "Default Watch Sort", which has these options:

I've selected "Creation Time", but that setting does NOT bring me to the initial post of a thread after I've read it, but to the oldest of the unread messages. Which to me is a problem becuase some of threads mutate.

And I'm sorry if I sound like I'm annoyed, I'm just frustrated with the new interface and what appear to be inconsistancies in its behavior, such as this, and the little folders not always being yellow for unread posts or sometimes being yellow for read posts that I know that Frenchy has also observed.
Posted by: Eugene

Re: Great Upgrade! - 02/23/07 01:17 AM

Looks like the settings must store a cookie as my personal laptop I'm taken to the newest post when I click on it but my office laptop I'm taken to the first post in the thread.
Posted by: big_al

Re: Great Upgrade! - 02/23/07 02:28 AM

Thanks for up-grade, this is working great as soon as I find out how to use it all

Re: Great Upgrade! - 02/23/07 02:50 AM

I'd invite you to voice some of the inconsistencies of the UI on the ubbcentral.com Forums so that the dev's of the software are aware. Fortunately (or not, as I can't fix it for you), I didn't write the code ;-).

Re: Great Upgrade! - 02/23/07 12:20 PM

I was asking the admin for the same reason my customers ask me silly questions after a rollout- "what do you mean you don't know? You set it up". :P

So, where did you find that option? Or is it the one I've got set up and this thing is behaving like a very naughty beta release? What I haven't done is clear my cookies as was suggested, so maybe there is something in there conflicting.