Source for Medical/First Aid Patches?

Posted by: Brome_McCreary

Source for Medical/First Aid Patches? - 02/08/07 04:35 PM

Anyone have a good source for medical patches?

I use a large compartmentalized cordura bag for my medical kit I carry in the vehicle. It is very similar to the standard EMT bag, just had some features I preferred so I use it instead.
I would like to put something on it to identify it. If I had to send someone else back to my vehicle to retrieve the bag, I would like it to be easily identifiable from all the other kit I carry it my vehicle. I had to send a person back to my vehicle to retrieve a second blanket and flares at my last first responder incident a few weeks ago, and it got me seriously thinking that I should identify my lifesaving equipment better.

Ideally I would like a patch that says First Aid Kit or Medical Kit. I am also thinking about putting on a “star of life” patch, if I can find one, since all medical/fire/rescue professionals know what that symbol means.
I have found a source for First Aid stickers at LSS, but would prefer patches.

Note that I am not a paramedic, but maintain my regular first aid, CPR and wilderness first aid training.
For some reason I repeatedly find myself as the first responder at very bad auto accidents (and the only one who seems to have any kind of training, skill or equipment). The incident a few weeks ago was probably my ninth since my first around 1990. I know I should probably get some more advanced training, but never seem to have the funds due to family needs and my many other interests. So far I have stuck with the basic trainings but always try to take them from trained paramedics or the like so I am getting as much good information as I can. I also read a lot.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brome
Posted by: Matt26

Re: Source for Medical/First Aid Patches? - 02/08/07 05:17 PM

Just what you are looking for I belive http://www.emtcatalog.com/patches/
Good luck.
Posted by: Polak187

Re: Source for Medical/First Aid Patches? - 02/08/07 05:24 PM

Or you can have custom made patches from www.supplycaptain.com. They are like military name tapes and you can have one that says "cpr kit", another that says "trauma"... etc etc
Posted by: Matt26

Re: Source for Medical/First Aid Patches? - 02/08/07 05:28 PM

Matt Just tried your link and it took me to ADP retirement services?
Posted by: Nicodemus

Re: Source for Medical/First Aid Patches? - 02/08/07 06:51 PM

The period screwed up Polak's link.

http://www.supplycaptain.com/

Posted by: Malpaso

Re: Source for Medical/First Aid Patches? - 02/08/07 07:05 PM

+1 on Supply Captain. All of their gear is top quality.
Posted by: Polak187

Re: Source for Medical/First Aid Patches? - 02/08/07 10:18 PM

LOL... retirement services are long goal survival related too...
Posted by: hailstone

Re: Source for Medical/First Aid Patches? - 02/08/07 11:41 PM

You get a free one from NREMT when you get your EMT-B.
Posted by: wildman800

Re: Source for Medical/First Aid Patches? - 02/09/07 03:40 AM

I can't help you with patches but I have cut a cross in a manila file folder, taped it to the side of my 1st aid kit, and applied a very light coating of red spray paint. The red cross is copyrighted and I have heard that using it has caused some to receive lawyer letters, but using green spray paint is cool. Stenciling is easier than you might think, although it does take a little practice.
I well understand what you mean about coming across accidents. It used to happen to me on a regular basis. I even experienced 1 guy blowing himself up in front of me. All I could do was look at his skinless body and then look at my own pathetically inadequate 1st aid kit. All I could do was talk to him, keep him calm, & get his name and a phone number to notify his mother of what had happened. Thank God the ambulance arrived when it did. He died 24 hrs & 70+gals/fluids later.
Posted by: bassnbear

Re: Source for Medical/First Aid Patches? - 02/09/07 06:29 PM

Try this link - I think it may be more what you're looking for.
http://safetystore.com/medpatch.asp
Posted by: JohnN

Re: Source for Medical/First Aid Patches? - 02/10/07 06:55 AM

I'm also looking for something like this. Actually two different items:

1) A red and white "first aid cross" sticker to go on my first aid boxes. Preferably reflective. Glow in the dark AND reflective for extra credit.

I looked at LSS and couldn't find the decals you referred to.

Found one.

2) A sew on "first aid cross" patch to go on the outside of my bag pocket that contains the first aid kit. Perhaps red cross on black background, but less picky here.

So far, this is the only one I've found.
Oops. One more.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-john
Posted by: Malpaso

Re: Source for Medical/First Aid Patches? - 02/10/07 01:30 PM

Tons of stickers/decals here
Posted by: yeti

Re: Source for Medical/First Aid Patches? - 02/10/07 10:27 PM

JohnN wrote:
Quote:
I'm also looking for something like this. Actually two different items:

1) A red and white "first aid cross" sticker to go on my first aid boxes. Preferably reflective. Glow in the dark AND reflective for extra credit.

I'd like patches like that...Scotchlite reflective, maybe glow or neon yellow or neon orange.
Posted by: yeti

Re: Source for Medical/First Aid Patches? - 02/10/07 11:01 PM

Quote:
I'd like patches like that...Scotchlite reflective, maybe glow or neon yellow or neon orange.

Well...finally dug through my links and found a couple that fit:

http://www.circlesignia.com/emsemtpatches.html

No glow-in-the-dark, but reflective. However, I've yet to find red cross-looking patches in reflective material.
Posted by: teacher

Bright colored bags... - 02/11/07 05:17 AM

Another way to solve the problem with gear is to use distinct colors for duffel bags; first air in red, emergency in orange, food and water in Blue.
Posted by: JohnN

Re: Source for Medical/First Aid Patches? - 02/11/07 05:39 PM

I'm really looking for the red cross, not a star of life patch/sticker. Most of these links have the star of life and other stuff, but IMO nothing says "first aid kit inside" like the red cross. If people see the star of life, they'll just think you are some sort of medical person.

The way I'm looking at this is say someone comes across you unconscious and bleeding on the ground. I really would like for them to understand there is a first aid kit in the bag...

-john
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Source for Medical/First Aid Patches? - 02/12/07 02:39 PM

One possibility is to ask around the sewing stores in your area about people who embroider patches. Small orders are generally more expensive, and if you are looking for something that is very reflective to use as the backing, you'll have to provide it and pay up if it breaks their machine, but it might be an alternative.

The other is just to get a piece of 1/2 or 1" red webbing, and sew a red cross onto the bag. Or if it has a shoulder sling, get one made up with red webbing. (Not hard, doesn't even need sewing if you use tri-glides)
Posted by: fugitive

Re: Source for Medical/First Aid Patches? - 02/17/07 05:54 AM

On most of my kits I just use a large red permanent marker for the cross and black marker for the words "First Aid". I even do this on the one gallon ziplock bags I keep in our vehicles for first-aid kits.

I have some smaller cloth kits that I would like to look a little more professional. The best I have come up with is the Boy Scout First-Aid merit badge. It is small enough to easily fit my personal kits. Two could be used on larger bags.

It is not the ideal "red cross" but it does get the point across. They are inexpensive and can be purchased at any Boy Scout store.

Good luck, TR
Posted by: inkslngr

Re: Source for Medical/First Aid Patches? - 02/17/07 10:38 PM

https://lifeassistshop.life-assist.com/catalog.asp?catsection=8&catsubsection=107