Monster duct tape on clearance

Posted by: Blacktop

Monster duct tape on clearance - 01/15/07 01:05 AM

FYI....I just found Nashua brand Big Fix duct tape in the 12 inch (yes, a foot wide!) x 30 foot roll on clearance at Lowe's for $7. Regular price was $15 or so. Just the thing for large scale emergency repairs. Boy am I gonna have fun with this! Standard disclaimer applies - I'm not affiliated with Lowe's or Nashua, blah, blah, blah...
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Monster duct tape on clearance - 01/15/07 03:12 AM

Wow, you could patch a hole in a boat with 12" wide duct tape!!!
Posted by: Blacktop

Re: Monster duct tape on clearance - 01/15/07 03:30 AM

In our recent CERT mock disaster exercise, we had to duct tape one of the medical "victims" to the floor because she was hysterical and kept trying to get up to "find my baby, where's my baby!!!" Turns out there was no baby, they were trying to be realistic with the drill and test us to see if we were sure we had all of the "victims" out of the fire tower. Foot wide duct tape could keep even Arnold Schwartzernegger stuck to the floor!!
Posted by: DBAGuy

Re: Monster duct tape on clearance - 01/15/07 03:43 AM

"Duct" tape? I've never seen ducts taped over.
I'm sure you mean "duck" tape.

Re: Monster duct tape on clearance - 01/15/07 03:43 AM

"... could keep even Arnold Schwartzernegger stuck to the floor!!..."

Do it, please do it. At least 'til his term runs out!!!

Re: Monster duct tape on clearance - 01/15/07 03:49 AM

Actually, I think you have that backwards. While there is a "Duck" brand duct tape, "duct" is the correct term for that super sticky grey (or green in the army) tape...
Posted by: Dreadnought

Re: Monster duct tape on clearance - 01/15/07 05:36 AM

"Duct" tape is correct.

I worked in HVAC for years and have used "Duct" tape thousands of times to.....well.... tape ducts lol

Posted by: hurley52

Re: Monster duct tape on clearance - 01/15/07 10:40 AM

yes, bring on Tom McClintoc.
Posted by: Eugene

Re: Monster duct tape on clearance - 01/15/07 02:27 PM

Some of the off brands don't hold up as well as the Duck brand Duct tape. I had some off brand before and the one in my truck melted in the summer heat.
Posted by: Eugene

Re: Monster duct tape on clearance - 01/15/07 02:30 PM

Duck is a brand of duct tape, like thumbdrive or jumpdrive is a brand of usb flash memory.
Posted by: urbansurvivalist

Re: Monster duct tape on clearance - 01/24/07 11:28 AM

Sorry, but I have a weakness for semantic arguments. While both terms are commonly used, I beleive the original term was "duck" tape. It was invented to waterproof ammo boxes for the military, hence "duck" as in waterproof, like the animal, long before being used on ducts.

Re: Monster duct tape on clearance - 01/24/07 03:13 PM

I don't mind a little semantic discussion myself. If you go to Wikipedia , you will see that they agree with your first use of the tape for ammo boxes, but they say that the name came later, when it was used on ducts, not ducks...