Backwoodsman Magazine

Posted by: billym

Backwoodsman Magazine - 01/07/07 03:00 AM

How many other members read this awesome magazine?

I think that is is far and away the most interesting magzine that relates to ETS subject matter. I especially enjoy reading about how earlier generations were self reliant in the wilderness which was often 50 yards from their front door.

I sugggest you check it out there are always articles on survival kits, fire making, old recipes, crafts, guns and knives.
Posted by: Excomantia

Re: Backwoodsman Magazine - 01/07/07 03:08 AM

Do you have a link to a website or address you could post?

Re: Backwoodsman Magazine - 01/07/07 03:36 AM

Backwoodsman magazine
Posted by: Stretch

Re: Backwoodsman Magazine - 01/07/07 04:32 AM

I think I might have seen it at Hastings a month or so ago. Is it the one with mostly (well entirely I guess) black & white pages and photos? Whatever that one was, it seemed pretty good, but then I got pulled away and had to put it down.

Re: Backwoodsman Magazine - 01/07/07 06:25 PM

It does have paper pages and some photos are B&W but not all. The last issue had a guy lauching a loaded canoe in winter sometime in the 60's or 70's.
It is usually stocked at your town's eclectic magazine store. You can also get a subscription for a few bucks and buy back issues from their website.
They also make two anthologies of the past issues.
Posted by: anotherKevin

Re: Backwoodsman Magazine - 01/08/07 11:38 PM

It looks interesting, and they offer a subscription and 3 best of for $50 total, which isn't bad for a decent reference. Only problem - other than your recommendation I have no clue if it's a decent reference - no sample articles exist on the web site (at least, that I could find).

Re: Backwoodsman Magazine - 01/09/07 12:11 AM

If you visit blade forums there was a thread about BWM.
I would suggest finding the most recent copy at a newstand.
But I am sure that even the articles on survival, survival kits and knives in each issue would interest any EST member.
Posted by: Lance_952

Re: Backwoodsman Magazine - 01/09/07 01:33 AM

It is a good magazine, but the two places were I could get it quit stocking it on their shelves, so I guess I need to break down and subscribe. My only complaint is that it is a bi-monthly publication, so I have to pace my self on reading it LOL
Posted by: REDDOG79

Re: Backwoodsman Magazine - 01/10/07 04:59 AM

I likew this magazine and i have found a new source for it lately (Books-A-Million if you believe it). My other magazine that i like to read is Backwoods Home magazine. I need to get a subscription to BHM and BW but BHM's website carries a lot of their articles on it for free. BHM is essentially a Libertarian magazine but check it out for yourself it has a lot of self sufficiency ideas and tips.
www.backwoodshome.com
Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: Backwoodsman Magazine - 01/10/07 05:38 AM

www.wwmag.net for Wildernes Way Magazine is a similar effort and fun read.