Portable Radio

Posted by: Anonymous

Portable Radio - 03/19/02 08:04 PM

After the 9/11 attacks I realized how dependent I am on my computer for information. My only radio is in the car, and I have no TV (never thought it was necessary).<br><br>I live on the 2nd floor in a 4-floor apartment complex, and am towards the center of the building...<br><br>What's a good portable radio, that has good reception, battery powered but can plug into the wall, which would be suited to emerency use? And that I can listen to Larry Elder during the day? laugh

Re: Portable Radio - 03/19/02 08:33 PM

Sounds like you don't have need of a new sound-system for everyday use. You have lived this long with only the car-radio. I would suggest that you focus on a radio for emergency rather than everyday use. Some features that would be very useful, in no particular order:<br><br>good large antenna or attachment point for a wire antenna. In a large scale emergency such as a hurricane, the local radio stations may be off the air so you want enough antenna to pull in distant ones.<br><br><br>weather channels - the more the merrier I believe that there are 5 nationally. In a large scale emergency the local radio may be swamped with useless sensationalism but the weather channels are likely to be FEMA controlled.<br><br>VHF, UHF and Shortwave reception. In the US, FEMA uses the Amateur Radio Emergency Services on VHF and UHF to coordinate emergency responses and a radio that can monitor these frequencies will provide a wealth of information on what they are doing where. I believe that other nations also implement the same sort of civilian based radio communications utilizing these frequencies. Also in an emergency that knocks out local radio you can get significant information from distant lands on local conditions over shortwave.<br><br>Low power consumption. If you are in an emergency that knocks out power you radio is usefull only for as long as you can power it.<br><br>Solar or other means of recharging / powering it. See previous point. The BayGen radios will run without batteries on their internal dynamo and there are others with the same features.<br><br>Decent mono sound quality. Stereo requires too much power and takes up too much room. ( amp, speakers, extra wires). You may be in a very loud situation or a situation that requires you to be quiet. in either situation an earplug with a clean audio feed will provide information but not entertainment and uses very little power.<br><br>Small form-factor. You may want to mobilize to evacuate or find a more suitable haven. In case of earthquake or hurricane or tornado that destabilizes your apartment building the radio that fits in your Bug-Out-Bag will be the one you will have. <br><br>In case of an emergency you might do best to go to the roof of your apartment building for better reception and listen for a few min/ hours for whatever info you can get and then return to the safety of the apartment. <br><br>There are radios that can satisfy all of the above requirements but if you also throw in the requirement that you enjoy listening to it as your home audio equipment then it becomes impossible. If you want entertainment focused everyday use audio then the list of desirable features is dramatically different.

Re: Portable Radio - 03/19/02 08:47 PM

FWIW- I think they've dropped the "Baygen" name and are just selling them as "Freeplay" now.<br><br>Of the Freeplay models, I prefer the older, larger ones. The new smaller form factor is nice, but the older ones have better sound, and the newer ones seem to have an internal NiCad (not LiON or even NiMH) non-removable batteries inside, which I think is a bad idea. It does prevent dropouts when using in solar mode, and gives you some extra time to crank if it runs down.. but NiCads typically do NOT like to be shallow-cycled, and have very finite lifetimes in cycles. Besides, freedom from all the various hassles of batteries was part of the point of these radios in the first place.
Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: Portable Radio - 03/19/02 08:56 PM

A more expensive, but dedicated emergency option is a quality police scanner. These have the weather stations, marine band and numerous state and federall bands. There are portable and base units.The Uniden Bearcat models are good. They are legal in California ( as long as they are not used in perpetuating a crime, ie figuring out that Old Bald Guy is behind that Gilroy Garlic festival sign.)
Posted by: Schwert

Re: Portable Radio - 03/19/02 11:33 PM

I carry a Sony shortwave receiver that is very small and uses easily replace AA cells (2). It is model ICF-SW100 and about the size of a Tobacco tin.<br><br>Last March we had an Earthquake in Seattle that severely damaged my worksite. This radio was semi-useful in gathering information about the rest of the city. My primary concern was whether the bridges across the lakes and cuts were open so that I could get to my Wife and then home. Local radio stations kept reporting on the major damage areas and unfortunately did not cover the other much less severely damaged sections. This was frustrating.<br><br>The cell phone network near my worksite was completely overwhelmed with calls and while useful was very difficult to get through.<br><br>Fortunately, I also carry an old Icom Handheld 2m band amateur (Ham) radio. This turned out to be the best source of information after the earthquake. We have a good system of 2m repeaters and excellent control operators and members. They communicated much better and relevent information than the public airwaves. I was able to contact my Wife by phone patch, get eyewitness bridge information, and find out that the earthquake severity near my home was much less than at work.<br>
Posted by: PryBry

Re: Portable Radio - 03/19/02 11:34 PM

I agree with Chris...<br>A good quality scanner is the way to go for true "emergency" information...<br>I've used a cheaper "pre-programed" Bearcat scanner for years now, and love to hear what's going on well before the information is broadcast on public radio. I've even found a backup battery pack for times when the power is out...<br><br>Another way to go is a multiband radio... their are a few out their with solar/battery/dynamo power along with 110v adapters. Here's one... http://www.kaitousa.com/dp976.htm<br>There are many more... some better mfg names than others.<br>I'm sure you get what you pay for...<br><br>Good luck..<br>
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Portable Radio - 03/20/02 02:10 AM

I quit sittin' behind billboards the day I tried to blast out after a speeder and buried the rear of my Mighty Mustang to the axle...<br><br>I hear that the CHP is gonna get some Cameros again. I may have retired a little too soon...
Posted by: peanut

Re: Portable Radio - 03/20/02 05:55 AM

If you're looking for a small radio that can be safely stowed away in a small PSK for information, you might try <br><br>http://www.sinclair-research.co.uk/system/index.html<br><br>I've heard decent things about these, but have no personal experience. It's on my wish list. If you get one, please post a review for the rest of us.<br><br>Luck,<br><br>Peanut

Re: Portable Radio - 03/20/02 10:55 AM

Thanks! The X1 looks much better than my current choice for my pocket "escape from the city" kit. In fact, even though the current radio is pretty tiny, this has the potential to reduce the size of the whole kit, maybe even with a spare Lithium cell. Good info.

Re: Portable Radio - 03/20/02 06:03 PM

OK, so like what's the BEST radio scanner I can get? I AM a ham operator, tech plus class, so will that open any doors? Can I just use my 2-meter radio and tune in to all the right stations?

Re: Portable Radio - 03/20/02 06:09 PM

Since you are a ham operator you should look into becomming involved in emergency communications. There are many different organizations that are actively looking for ham volunteers to carry emergency traffic. If you are involved then not only will you be informed you will be the operator to whom others turn when they need to communicate about the situation both internal to the effected area and to the outside. <br><br>check out this link for more info on the various emergency opportunities for ham operators. Often enough the ham operators involved in emergency communications are the only ones able to communicate effectively on behalf of the national guard and FEMA and the Red Cross about the situation. These organizations are the operational communications for the ICS during disasters.
Posted by: Schwert

Re: Portable Radio - 03/20/02 07:49 PM

I absolutely agree with miniMe. Getting involved with the Ham radio groups in your area is the best bet. Ask Hams on your 2m repeaters about their emergency involvement. They usually have regularly scheduled discussions and tests. One or more of the radio clubs in your area will probably be active participants in support of community emergency communications.<br><br>Finding the best equipment for communication is sometimes not as important as finding, joining, and supporting the active members of your local radio community.<br><br>During out earthquake last year in Seattle, I found my 2m radio to provide me with the best, unbiased and unsensational information. I carry it everyday in preference to a "more useful" cell phone. I know that I can rely on my local Hams to help out during any emergency.<br><br>The Technician class Ham license is easy to obtain and gives frequency privileges that are very appropriate to local emergency response work. I encourage everyone to seek out a local Ham club and get more information.<br><br>

Re: Portable Radio - 03/20/02 09:18 PM

I'll be checking out my city's ham radio emergency comms group next week...so I should ditch the idea of a scanner or radio and just use my HT?<br><br>It's only a once a month meeting and has a lot of support from city hall and the police department. I'll let you know how it goes.<br><br>Any advice re equipment? Like guns and guitars, I'm going to go with what I have (hand me downs from Dad) before I determine what I really want/need.
Posted by: cliff

Re: Portable Radio - 03/20/02 10:32 PM

Peanut - <br><br>Looks like a neat item! Let's get one and see how it does.<br><br> .....CLIFF<br><br>Just a prodigal scout's older brother.......
Posted by: peanut

Re: Portable Radio - 03/21/02 01:52 AM

Would we have to draw up a joint custody agreement?<br><br>Peanut