PSK Iodine Idea/Questions

Posted by: AyersTG

PSK Iodine Idea/Questions - 03/14/02 10:37 PM

Back when I used GI iodine tablets, there was a wad of fiberglass batt - like a coarse cottonball - stuffed in the bottle to keep the tablets from rattling into powder. Also, the exterior of the cap/bottle junction was sealed with wax - probably a significant percentage of beeswax, but probably not 100% (I'm guessing/recalling).<br><br>I got to thinking about tablets stowed in a PSK. Might it be worth dipping the end of the vial in molten wax for that "extra" bit of sealing up? And instead of pulling apart some fiberglass from a scrap of batt to stuff into the vial, I was thinking about what might get the job done that would also have other potential uses. One thing that came to mind was teflon plumber's tape and/or teflon valve stem packing (kind of like a teflon twine).<br><br>I have thought of a few minor potential uses for the teflon tape and none for the teflon valve stem packing (so far). I'll have to try out the tape ideas when I get an opportunity and report back the results. Looking for comments/ideas.<br><br>Thanks in advance,<br><br>Tom
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: PSK Iodine Idea/Questions - 03/14/02 11:11 PM

I remember those bottles and the wax- the wax got soft and sticky and all over everything when it got really hot.<br><br>I doubt that it would make much difference. Once upon a time I used part of one of those jars, sealed it and put it away- in a couple of year's time, even though it had been closed the whole time, the remaining tablets had "bloomed" into a fuzzy mess. Very hydroscopic.<br><br>The current commercial versions, at least Potable Aqua, don't seem to do that.. so I'm guessing that they have a very thin coating of something to make them more resistant to humidity.
Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: PSK Iodine Idea/Questions - 03/14/02 11:24 PM

I periodically inspect, replenish or upgrade my PSK ( o.k. I play with it watching SURVIVOR.) Fingerprints can be very salt laden ( why gunshops are forever wiping down firearms with silicone cloths) and moisture is almost everywhere. I make it a habit of wiping my gear and have began collecting those little dessicant packets or cylinders for potential use. I just use the small vial Barry stocks and periodically dump my perishables early like older batteries.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: PSK Iodine Idea/Questions - 03/15/02 06:24 AM

Another great idea. Do you EVER have a bad one???